Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Stomach Pain and Sensitive to Touch

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Catherine Marie
  • December 31, 2009
  • 08:58 PM

For the past couple months, I have not been a happy fifteen year old. Ever since the end of July, I have been having incredible pain in my stomach. The pain occurs after every single, meal, snack, whatever. It doesn't matter what I eat or how much, it's always there. The pain feels alot like a ripping and tearing feeling. It is located on the left side of my abdomen, right next to my twelfth rib. With the pain, I get really tired and weak. During an attack I barely have the energy to climb a flight of stairs. Every now and then, I'll get a low-grade fever (99.0-ish). I am seeing a gastroenterologist for this. I have done CT scans, x-rays, an endoscopy, and numerous blood and stool tests. Everything has come out negative (ruling out gallstones, peptic ulcers, bacterial infections, etc.)

Along with my digestive issues, recently, I have been experiencing a weird pain. From my shoulders, all the way down my back and abdomen, into my thighs, stopping at my knees, my skin is overly sensitive to touch. It almost feels like a sunburn, without the redness and the heat. A good way to describe it is that I feel like a porcupine, but instead of my spines going out, I feel like they are being driven into me. It hurts to move or to touch my skin, period. The attack lasts a day or two. I have not seen a doctor for this, as it doesn't happen but every couple months (starting when my stomach pains showed up).

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with me?

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• For the past couple months, I have not been a happy fifteen year old. Ever since the end of July, I have been having incredible pain in my stomach. The pain occurs after every single, meal, snack, whatever. It doesn't matter what I eat or how much, it's always there. The pain feels alot like a ripping and tearing feeling. It is located on the left side of my abdomen, right next to my twelfth rib. With the pain, I get really tired and weak. During an attack I barely have the energy to climb a flight of stairs. Every now and then, I'll get a low-grade fever (99.0-ish). I am seeing a gastroenterologist for this. I have done CT scans, x-rays, an endoscopy, and numerous blood and stool tests. Everything has come out negative (ruling out gallstones, peptic ulcers, bacterial infections, etc.) Along with my digestive issues, recently, I have been experiencing a weird pain. From my shoulders, all the way down my back and abdomen, into my thighs, stopping at my knees, my skin is overly sensitive to touch. It almost feels like a sunburn, without the redness and the heat. A good way to describe it is that I feel like a porcupine, but instead of my spines going out, I feel like they are being driven into me. It hurts to move or to touch my skin, period. The attack lasts a day or two. I have not seen a doctor for this, as it doesn't happen but every couple months (starting when my stomach pains showed up). Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with me?Hi.What lab tests were abnormal or in the reference ranges but towards the ends?Do you have your lab tests with you?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 1, 2010
    • 05:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi.What lab tests were abnormal or in the reference ranges but towards the ends?Do you have your lab tests with you?Ask your GI doc to test you for helicobacter antibody. If it is positive, you could be treated appropriately and feel better. Also suggest taking Tagamet before each meal for two weeks to see if you get some improvement (use lowest dosage).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2010
    • 00:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi.What lab tests were abnormal or in the reference ranges but towards the ends?Do you have your lab tests with you? They told me that everything looked like it should be. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't have the actual numbers or tests they did. The doctors said that they tested for most bacteria. They checked enzymes and my blood cell count. Nothing high, nothing low. Everything just as it should be.
    Catherine Marie 2 Replies
    • January 2, 2010
    • 02:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ask your GI doc to test you for helicobacter antibody. If it is positive, you could be treated appropriately and feel better. Also suggest taking Tagamet before each meal for two weeks to see if you get some improvement (use lowest dosage). Hi. I have been tested for H pylori. It came out negative. The endoscope showed no signs of an ulcer. (I got to keep the pictures. I'm going to frame them :]) Tagamet. I will remember that. Thank you so much!
    Catherine Marie 2 Replies
    • January 2, 2010
    • 02:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been to see a neurologist? Am having very similar symptoms and also went through a barrage of xrays and MRI of internal organs - all fine. Now they are going to check for a thoracic radiculopathy - could be a compressed nerve causing this pain.
    Shirls 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Were you tested for Celiac Disease, for the stomach, digestive probs, and a skin disorder can accompany this disease. Goodluck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 25, 2010
    • 09:45 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement