Discussions By Condition: General well-being

Flushing of ears, face, neck, shoulders, elbows, knees with burning/tingling

Posted In: General well-being 11 Replies
  • Posted By: M_Iddings
  • December 29, 2009
  • 11:43 PM

Periodically, my ears will begin to flush and burn. It then spreads to my face, neck, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. I literally feel like I have been sunburned and the skin is bright red, tingles and burns. The burning sensation in my face gets worse when I bend over. This usually lasts an hour or less but leaves me feeling tired and sleepy. It has happened twice in less than 7 days and in the past three months about 1 or 2 episodes a month.

Other symptoms I have are night and day hot flashes, but not with the burning sensations...just get really hot and then it passes quickly. I believe these are related to perimenopause as I have not had a period since October. I am 52 years old.

I have insomnia, however, I have no trouble going to sleep. I wake around 2 or 3 am and have trouble going back to sleep without using Unisome or some other sleep aid.

I have tendonitis that is returning in my arm. I had it two years ago for almost a year. PT made it worse & cortisone shots relieved the pain for three weeks but made feel sick the whole time. Curcumin finally took the pain away, but now the curcumin doesn't seem to be doing the job as well as it had been.

I have a whooshing sound in my right ear that is there most of the time, but sometimes not. It gets worse at times with certain movements.

I have recurrent misc. aches and pains that come and go throughout my body. Never know where they will pop up.

I have chronic neck/shoulder pain and stiffness due to whiplashes in my past. I also get headaches from time to time that seem to stem from my neck.

The main symptoms I wonder about are those in the first paragraph, but I list the others just in case there may be some relation there.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Periodically, my ears will begin to flush and burn. It then spreads to my face, neck, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. I literally feel like I have been sunburned and the skin is bright red, tingles and burns. The burning sensation in my face gets worse when I bend over. This usually lasts an hour or less but leaves me feeling tired and sleepy. It has happened twice in less than 7 days and in the past three months about 1 or 2 episodes a month.Other symptoms I have are night and day hot flashes, but not with the burning sensations...just get really hot and then it passes quickly. I believe these are related to perimenopause as I have not had a period since October. I am 52 years old.I have insomnia, however, I have no trouble going to sleep. I wake around 2 or 3 am and have trouble going back to sleep without using Unisome or some other sleep aid.I have tendonitis that is returning in my arm. I had it two years ago for almost a year. PT made it worse & cortisone shots relieved the pain for three weeks but made feel sick the whole time. Curcumin finally took the pain away, but now the curcumin doesn't seem to be doing the job as well as it had been.I have a whooshing sound in my right ear that is there most of the time, but sometimes not. It gets worse at times with certain movements.I have recurrent misc. aches and pains that come and go throughout my body. Never know where they will pop up.I have chronic neck/shoulder pain and stiffness due to whiplashes in my past. I also get headaches from time to time that seem to stem from my neck.The main symptoms I wonder about are those in the first paragraph, but I list the others just in case there may be some relation there.Any insight would be greatly appreciated.Hi - I have same flushing. It is a dry flush - on same spots exactly, including knees, elbows, for 2 1/2 yrs, with months without it (but with just left or both cheeks and nose flush) lasting about 40 minutes. Bending does not affect it. Also have miscellanious aches and pains - mostly neck, some muscle,joint pain mostly early morning. One year of mild,chronic diarrhea, on/off. I believe it's carcinoid syndrome, althouh I've tested negative for numerous blood and urine tests, and octreoscan. Expert carcinoid dr. eliminated carcinoid as cause but I'm still worried because sometimes people with carcinoid test negative- and no test is 100% accurate. I'd be interested to hear if you've determined the cause of your flushing. If it's a wet flush, I'd say it's reltated to menopause.-- Lorraine
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi - I have same flushing. It is a dry flush - on same spots exactly, including knees, elbows, for 2 1/2 yrs, with months without it (but with just left or both cheeks and nose flush) lasting about 40 minutes. Bending does not affect it. Also have miscellanious aches and pains - mostly neck, some muscle,joint pain mostly early morning. One year of mild,chronic diarrhea, on/off. I believe it's carcinoid syndrome, althouh I've tested negative for numerous blood and urine tests, and octreoscan. Expert carcinoid dr. eliminated carcinoid as cause but I'm still worried because sometimes people with carcinoid test negative- and no test is 100% accurate. I'd be interested to hear if you've determined the cause of your flushing. If it's a wet flush, I'd say it's reltated to menopause.-- LorraineThere are two web links you might want to check out for your symptoms:This one is general symptoms of Joint Hyper-mobility Syndromehttp://www.reumatologia-dr-bravo.cl/patients/Hypermobility%20Syndrome.htmThis one references flushing as a possible symptom of Joint Hyper-mobility Syndromehttp://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/43/9/1194My doctor, based on the information in the first link diagnosed me with JHS. He has referred me to a rheumatologist who I will see next month on the 23rd for confirmation of this. This diagnoses explains almost all the symptoms I have been having. Take a look at the information and if it describes a lot of what you have going on, then take a copy of the information to your doctor. I printed out the first article, 8 pages long, and mailed it to my doctor to read and asked him to read it and have his nurse call me for an appointment if he thought it matched my problems. He did and when I went in to talk to him he was beating himself over the head that he had not connected the dots. He is so sure this is my problem that he said he didn't even feel right charging me for the appointment because I was the the one who did the research and found it. So he never charged me for my appointment at all. Hope this helps. Please keep me posted, ok? I'd like to know what you think after you read the links.Marsha
    M_Iddings 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • There are two web links you might want to check out for your symptoms:This one is general symptoms of Joint Hyper-mobility Syndromehttp://www.reumatologia-dr-bravo.cl/patients/Hypermobility%20Syndrome.htmThis one references flushing as a possible symptom of Joint Hyper-mobility Syndromehttp://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/43/9/1194My doctor, based on the information in the first link diagnosed me with JHS. He has referred me to a rheumatologist who I will see next month on the 23rd for confirmation of this. This diagnoses explains almost all the symptoms I have been having. Take a look at the information and if it describes a lot of what you have going on, then take a copy of the information to your doctor. I printed out the first article, 8 pages long, and mailed it to my doctor to read and asked him to read it and have his nurse call me for an appointment if he thought it matched my problems. He did and when I went in to talk to him he was beating himself over the head that he had not connected the dots. He is so sure this is my problem that he said he didn't even feel right charging me for the appointment because I was the the one who did the research and found it. So he never charged me for my appointment at all. Hope this helps. Please keep me posted, ok? I'd like to know what you think after you read the links.MarshaHi Marsha - I read the two links and really cannot identify much with them. Like many people, I have a little joint pain, an occassional mild sprain, etc. but have always been very UNflexible since a child. Also, the second link only mentions flushing by saying that it occurred no more often in the group with the joint problem than in the healthy control group. That means flushing is not a symptom of the hypermobility. My main symptom is flushing, so unfortunately, I don't think those links apply to me. Thanks for the information, anyway.Lori333
  • Hi Marsha - I read the two links and really cannot identify much with them. Like many people, I have a little joint pain, an occassional mild sprain, etc. but have always been very UNflexible since a child. Also, the second link only mentions flushing by saying that it occurred no more often in the group with the joint problem than in the healthy control group. That means flushing is not a symptom of the hypermobility. My main symptom is flushing, so unfortunately, I don't think those links apply to me. Thanks for the information, anyway.Lori333I realized after rereading that one link that it didin't indicate flushing as being a symptom of hypermobility than anything else. Sorry for that.One thing that people misunderstand though about JHS is that you do not have to have generalized hypermobility in a majority of joints to have this diagnosis. It might be only a couple of joints plus a number of things from the other symptoms. That was the first thing my physical therapist said to me was that he didin't see me as having JHS because he didn't see me as being hypermobile in the majority of my joints...he was misunderstanding the criteria. Be that as it may, you prpbably don't have this problem, though and even if you did, it typically take up to 10 years to get a decent diagnosis b/c most doctors don't recognize it.Marsha
  • Also, keep in mind that some vitamins such as niacin can cause flushing and the feeling of a sunburn. I too get flushing and it can be caused from anxiety, caffeine, spicy foods and liquor. For me, the hot flashes from menopause is a different type of heat. Periodically, my ears will begin to flush and burn. It then spreads to my face, neck, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. I literally feel like I have been sunburned and the skin is bright red, tingles and burns. The burning sensation in my face gets worse when I bend over. This usually lasts an hour or less but leaves me feeling tired and sleepy. It has happened twice in less than 7 days and in the past three months about 1 or 2 episodes a month. Other symptoms I have are night and day hot flashes, but not with the burning sensations...just get really hot and then it passes quickly. I believe these are related to perimenopause as I have not had a period since October. I am 52 years old. I have insomnia, however, I have no trouble going to sleep. I wake around 2 or 3 am and have trouble going back to sleep without using Unisome or some other sleep aid. I have tendonitis that is returning in my arm. I had it two years ago for almost a year. PT made it worse & cortisone shots relieved the pain for three weeks but made feel sick the whole time. Curcumin finally took the pain away, but now the curcumin doesn't seem to be doing the job as well as it had been. I have a whooshing sound in my right ear that is there most of the time, but sometimes not. It gets worse at times with certain movements. I have recurrent misc. aches and pains that come and go throughout my body. Never know where they will pop up. I have chronic neck/shoulder pain and stiffness due to whiplashes in my past. I also get headaches from time to time that seem to stem from my neck. The main symptoms I wonder about are those in the first paragraph, but I list the others just in case there may be some relation there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Sham8259 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Periodically, my ears will begin to flush and burn. It then spreads to my face, neck, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. I literally feel like I have been sunburned and the skin is bright red, tingles and burns. The burning sensation in my face gets worse when I bend over. This usually lasts an hour or less but leaves me feeling tired and sleepy. It has happened twice in less than 7 days and in the past three months about 1 or 2 episodes a month. Other symptoms I have are night and day hot flashes, but not with the burning sensations...just get really hot and then it passes quickly. I believe these are related to perimenopause as I have not had a period since October. I am 52 years old. I have insomnia, however, I have no trouble going to sleep. I wake around 2 or 3 am and have trouble going back to sleep without using Unisome or some other sleep aid. I have tendonitis that is returning in my arm. I had it two years ago for almost a year. PT made it worse & cortisone shots relieved the pain for three weeks but made feel sick the whole time. Curcumin finally took the pain away, but now the curcumin doesn't seem to be doing the job as well as it had been. I have a whooshing sound in my right ear that is there most of the time, but sometimes not. It gets worse at times with certain movements. I have recurrent misc. aches and pains that come and go throughout my body. Never know where they will pop up. I have chronic neck/shoulder pain and stiffness due to whiplashes in my past. I also get headaches from time to time that seem to stem from my neck. The main symptoms I wonder about are those in the first paragraph, but I list the others just in case there may be some relation there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. To M. Iddings:I replied to you a few months ago and am wondering whether you've gotten a diagnosis yet, since you said your doctor was giving you some tests. I have same flushing including elbows and knees, which no one else seems to have, so I'm very interested in knowing what information you might have learned from your tests. I'd like to also know which blood tests or scans you might have had. Hoping to hear from you soon.LorraineLori333
    Lori333 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too have the same redness in the joint areas. I've had it 3 times I think, just over the last several months. It is bizarre. The first time it was on my face, ears, upper back, knees, elbows and ankles. That was the most severe. The next 2 times were less severe - ears, above the lips, elbows, knees, and was accompanied by a cramping, gas-y stomach ache. It's all very odd. Anyone have any ideas of what this is??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2010
    • 01:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have the same redness in the joint areas. I've had it 3 times I think, just over the last several months. It is bizarre. The first time it was on my face, ears, upper back, knees, elbows and ankles. That was the most severe. The next 2 times were less severe - ears, above the lips, elbows, knees, and was accompanied by a cramping, gas-y stomach ache. It's all very odd. Anyone have any ideas of what this is?? I am re-entering a reply since my first attempt didn't seem to work. I have been flushing in the same areas, including knees and elbows for over 2 yrs. Sometimes every few wks, sometimes every few months, with lesser flushes more often -- only on cheeks or nose. I've seen a carcinoid expert who had me take many blood/urine tests. I also had an octreoscan. All were negative so he says I do not have carcinoid, and says that flushing on elbows and knees are not typical of carcinoid. But there are some people who test negative on all tests and scans and end up being diagnosed with carcinoid after several years, when one or two tests finally become positive. I do not have the stomach cramping when flushing, but have had some diarrhea, which is another carcinoid symptom. Do you have diarrhea? How long do your flushes last? You should test for 24 hr. urine 5-HIAA, serum serotonin, and serum CgA. Certain foods and meds should not be taken for 2 days before the urine collection, and you should fast before the two blood tests. If these are all negative, there's a good chance it's not carcinoid, but it still can be. Most doctors don't know anything about carcinoid because it's rare. Mastocytosis is another rare disease that causes similar flushing. If you get a diagnosis I'd be interested in knowing what it is because I have not been diagnosed yet. Lorraine
    Lori333 10 Replies
    • September 2, 2010
    • 00:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I realized after rereading that one link that it didin't indicate flushing as being a symptom of hypermobility than anything else. Sorry for that. One thing that people misunderstand though about JHS is that you do not have to have generalized hypermobility in a majority of joints to have this diagnosis. It might be only a couple of joints plus a number of things from the other symptoms. That was the first thing my physical therapist said to me was that he didin't see me as having JHS because he didn't see me as being hypermobile in the majority of my joints...he was misunderstanding the criteria. Be that as it may, you prpbably don't have this problem, though and even if you did, it typically take up to 10 years to get a decent diagnosis b/c most doctors don't recognize it.Marsha Hi Marsha - I hope you see this post because I responded a few months ago but haven't seen a reply. I am wondering what the rheumatologist's tests showed, and whether you definitely have JHS. Did he think your extensive flushing is part of JHS even though the article you referrred me to said flushing was not at all specific to JHS? Are you still flushing? Since my last post, my CgA increased so that it's now above the upper limit of normal, so I'm even more convinced I have carcinoid. Have you been tested for CgA or any other substance related to carcinoid flushing? Because you are one of the two people I've ever read about on the internet whose flushes included knees and elbows, I'd really like to know if you were definitely diagnosed for JHS by rheumatologist, and whether he included the flushing in the JHS diagnosis or does he think the flushing is something separate from all your other symptoms (as you thought in your first post)? Thanks, and hoping to hear from you soon. Lorraine
    Lori333 10 Replies
    • October 17, 2010
    • 02:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had this twice now. I have a feeling it might have been caused by eating nutritional yeast which does indeed contain high amounts of b vitamins. The 2nd time it happened I had just eaten some, I honestly can't remember if I had eaten any the 1st time.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • February 12, 2014
    • 06:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same symptoms happen to me. It started about a month ago and it was one a week and now it is a few times a day. My skin feels like it is on fire and there are red circles around my knees, elbows, wrists and now my knuckles. My face and ears are red and burn. Then there is some slight itching. The episodes last, at the most,an hour. I am lost and have no idea what this is. I went to the dr and she seems to be just as confused. Of course when I go there no symptoms show up.
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement