Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Natural lighting makes me sleepy

Posted In: Nerve conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 28, 2009
  • 04:00 PM

I've tried to explain this problem to a doctor but she didn't believe me. Sunlight makes me sleepy. When I am in a place with natural lighting I am very tired, I can't focus, I have trouble keeping my eyes open, I'm disoriented, my mind is foggy, I have every symptom of severe fatigue. When I move into a room with little or no natural light, my mind clears and I wake up. I am alert and focused at night or in moderate artficial lighting. Strong fluorescent or full spectrum lights cause the sleepiness as well, but not as severely as sunlight. Even if I have had a full night's sleep and have only been awake for an hour or two, I can fall asleep in a sunny room. This doesn't happen in a dark or artificially lit room.

I know this isn't caused by sleep deprivation, depression, caffeine or drug withdrawal, or any of the normal causes of fatigue because I am only affected in sunlight, never in dark or artificial light. As soon as I walk into a sunny room I get sleepy and disoriented, but when I go back into a dark or artificially lit room I wake up again. My fatigue is being caused by sunlight - what I need to know is what medical condition this is and if there's any way to treat it.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement