Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Natural lighting makes me sleepy

Posted In: Nerve conditions 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 28, 2009
  • 04:00 PM

I've tried to explain this problem to a doctor but she didn't believe me. Sunlight makes me sleepy. When I am in a place with natural lighting I am very tired, I can't focus, I have trouble keeping my eyes open, I'm disoriented, my mind is foggy, I have every symptom of severe fatigue. When I move into a room with little or no natural light, my mind clears and I wake up. I am alert and focused at night or in moderate artficial lighting. Strong fluorescent or full spectrum lights cause the sleepiness as well, but not as severely as sunlight. Even if I have had a full night's sleep and have only been awake for an hour or two, I can fall asleep in a sunny room. This doesn't happen in a dark or artificially lit room.

I know this isn't caused by sleep deprivation, depression, caffeine or drug withdrawal, or any of the normal causes of fatigue because I am only affected in sunlight, never in dark or artificial light. As soon as I walk into a sunny room I get sleepy and disoriented, but when I go back into a dark or artificially lit room I wake up again. My fatigue is being caused by sunlight - what I need to know is what medical condition this is and if there's any way to treat it.

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• I'm a little disappointed this post doesn't have any replies. I suffer the exact same thing. Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.It is rather debilitating to be honest.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2010
    • 11:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm a little disappointed this post doesn't have any replies. I suffer the exact same thing. Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.It is rather debilitating to be honest.Yes, I suffer the same thing. I think that solar radiation might somehow have an effect upon areas of the brain which control metabolism.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2010
    • 10:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't think there's anything wrong at all. It's just the body's natural reaction to warm climates in direct sunlight.If you think about it, a lion will appear very lazy throughout the day, but when the temperatures are cooler, that's when the high energy activity happens.Being highly active in direct sunlight takes a lot of energy.The underlying principle is the change in body temperature. If you exercise the body to be more tolerant of temperature variations, then this may provide a way to cope. Also, the 'tan' will help with UV protection etc.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I don't think there's anything wrong at all. It's just the body's natural reaction to warm climates in direct sunlight.If you think about it, a lion will appear very lazy throughout the day, but when the temperatures are cooler, that's when the high energy activity happens.Being highly active in direct sunlight takes a lot of energy.The underlying principle is the change in body temperature. If you exercise the body to be more tolerant of temperature variations, then this may provide a way to cope. Also, the 'tan' will help with UV protection etc.I have the exact same problem. I don't think its necessarily the temperature change as it is just the lighting. If I wear sunglasses it always helps, but its kind of a hassle to always have to wear sunglasses in the lightAlso, I am Indian (Asian) so I really have all the UV protection I need and I don't see how getting more of a tan would help that.
  • I have the exact same problem. I don't think its necessarily the temperature change as it is just the lighting. If I wear sunglasses it always helps, but its kind of a hassle to always have to wear sunglasses in the lightI have the same problem with the sun. It has nothing to do with heat because I can have the AC blasting in my car but the sun makes me want to fall asleep which is really bad especially in a car. I have also noticed that sunglasses help so it is some kind of brain issue dealing with what happens when the eyes process the sunlight. I would love to know if there is something other than staying out of the sun or always having to wear sunglasses that will help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2010
    • 05:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get energetically drained from being out in the sunlight for too long, meaning about an hour or so. At that point, I get sleepy, and sore in my eyes. As an infant, I was allergic to the Sun for a time. I actually prefer "sundown" and when it's cloudy out, since it's easier - visually. Even the Autumnal season is best for me with less sunlight hours, and the colder temperature. My oldest brother is just the opposite with all of these aspects. What I figured, is that, perhaps, it's a lack of Riboflavin. So, each day I take a sublingual B-Complex liquid. It seems to take the edge off of it a little. As for sunglasses...I wear prescription glasses, so, driving without them for too long can already give me a strain.I'm somewhat comforted to know that others deal with this as well, since I know of NO ONE else who reacts as I do. It's a running joke with my family and friends. If I could live somewhere that had dimmer lighting and fall-like weather year-round, I'd probably move there.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2010
    • 01:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing....its worse when i drive...I can drive ALL night but as soon as the sun comes up I'm sleepy. even if I sleep good at night, the sun still makes me tierd. very dark sunglasses help with the day time driving but, still not 100%??????????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2011
    • 07:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem. It is driving me crazy!! I was in a major trauma about 4 years ago and have been taking pain pills ever since. Although I do remember this problem slightly before the accident, it was nothing like it is now. I thought it might be the meds, but then why to I suddenly wake up when the sun goes down. I have thought maybe I have a sleep phase syndrome but I really don't think that is it. It is definitley connected to sunlight.I just ordered some modinifil to help with this problem. It keeps me awake but then I can't sleep at night :/.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2011
    • 01:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just woke up from a sunray-induced nap, after suffering through my first Maine winter. This time, my sleepiness hit me like: BAM! And, it was so uncomfortable, I thought I had been drugged.I've lived in sunnier climates most of my life, and have recognized that being in the sun has had a tendency to make me deliciously drowsy, although most of the time it is inconvenient. I found that these episodes generally happened after I had not been out in the sun for a long while. (And whenever I told people that being in the sun made me tired, they thought I was nuts.)This isn't a dehydration issue. It doesn't have to be hot or humid. It was only about 60 degrees this afternoon, but after I was sitting out in the sun for about 15 minutes--with only my face and hands being exposed to direct sunlight--I felt like I was going to slip into a coma. It has taken about an hour of being indoors for me to recover.I'm sending this thread to The Doctors or Dr. Oz show to see if they pick up on the topic. I'm sure they have more resources to look into this problem.
  • I have the same problem as all of you. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.It doesn't have to do with body temperature either. I'm awake ready to go then open the blinds and BAM... I'm ready to fall asleep. I also am much more awake at night.As I'm reading through all of these posts I just keeping thinking, yup... that's me.I DO have a vitamin D deficiency and have to take daily supplements. I don't know if that is relevant or not. You can have your vitamin D count taken by a blood test.
  • I don't get debilitatingly drowsy when I'm in sunlight in rooms, although sometimes it's comfortable to take a nap in. Recently, though, I've noticed that if I've been outdoors in the direct sun for an hour or two, I can barely function the rest of the day. Once I was in the sun for about 3 or 4 hours, and people were asking me if I was drunk the rest of the day, but I was just incredibly tired. I tried to tell them it was the sun, but nobody really understood.I usually take naps when I sunbathe, but this is getting really crazy. Someone mentioned that they were getting used to Maine summers... I've never really been out in the sun in the north east until very recently. I usually get my sun from the south. In high school, I'd play hours of tennis in the direct sun and it never affected me. Maybe it's the location thing?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have the same issue. I have noticed that orange tinted sunglasses help make the situation more tolerable. If I wear the orange or yellow tinted glasses and sit in the shade then I can stand being out during the daylight time much more bearable. My husband laughs at me because it is almost as if I am the inverse of a plant!
  • I have the same thing. And noone seems to know the answer. I feel like my energy is being sucked from my eyes and my neck, I can barely keep my eyes open. When I go into a breezy dark room, I suddenly feel relieved. I wish somebody knew the solution.I am exercising regularly. I think I am generally healthy, my general blood tests were all normal. I am drinking enough water. I am eating fresh healthy food.
  • I'm seriously disappointed in my efforts to find a reason or solution for this problem because I commiserate with the OP exactly. I can sleep 6-10 hours, get up, be absolutely *drained* all day while the sun is up. AS SOON AS THE SUN GOES DOWN, I am fine. I'm motivated, full of energy and ****k.. but that is when everyone else is asleep and I do not want to disturb them.Having a family with this issue compounds it. Children need a good daytime schedule and I struggle immensely with providing it.. simply because I'm so fatigued and distressed during the daylight hours.No matter how tired I have been throughout the day. No matter how much sleep or little sleep I've gotten: nighttime revives me. It's so frustrating! People tell me "Just get on a schedule".. and they don't understand how desperately I want to and strive for it. It's hurtful and no one seems to have any sort of reference for my struggle with it.Another problem is medication. That's another answer I hear. "Try sleeping medication." However! I was given *one* ambien by a doctor *one* time. Oh EM gee. I relaxed myself, laid down in bed, took the ambien, waited calmly for it to set in... and *oh* did it ever set in! I felt it kick in and BAM I was very awake, ready to go in a very goofy mood. Once the goofy mood wore off, the hallucinations started. It seemed to shut down the rational part of my brain that says "this is not real. this is fantasy." So, everything that was "happening" was very real to me and quite frightening. After huddling in my living room, wrapped in a robe, sobbing for an hour, the sun came up. Guess what? I slept like a baby. Never again! Medications always have an unexpected effect on me. If they say it will make me groggy, it chills me out, while simultaneously motivating me. If it supposed to wake me up (aderal), it zonks me out for far too long. That is not productive either.Ugh! I wish there was a way to remedy this nocturnal sort of issue with longterm benefit without medication. I have struggled against it from childhood and I simply don't understand what causes my brain to work this way./rant
  • The sunlight here in Albuquerque likes to do me in as well. Doesn't matter if i sleep 6 hours or 16 hours. My company always has a party in July here every year and I never attend simply because the sun is sheer narcotic to me.Today, it is about 95-100 like it's been for the past month and it is all I can do to keep my eyes open. I crave cloudy days, then I can focus and get loads of work done.When it's like today, totally clear blue skies, I have to work in my workshop with the door closed or work in the office with the AC on and blinds closed. I've already had a 45 minute nap and I got up only to face the blinding sun and sleepy again.I used to live in Germany and loved those overcast summers, but this day after day of intense sunlight is too much to bear. I'm sure the heat has something to do with it, but I think that the UV or cosmic rays or something solar radiation has more to do with it than anything.People who have replied to this thread saying that your body needs more sleep just don't understand. When I go to my main job and work in AC comfort around computers and servers, with a couple of concrete floors above me, I can focus like a champ. As soon as I go outside, Wham! Within the hour I'm ready for a good snooze.Much less of effect in the fall and winter, but there is less overall hours of sun then too. Heat is part of it, but that intense sunlight flooding every nook and cranny is the part of it.My only wish is that the golden twilight time, between 7-9 PM would last 8 hours so I could put in a fair day's work.Muuuuusssstttt ..... sslllleeeeepppppp........ WAIT! The clouds have come!!!! Gotta go! See Ya!!!!!!
  • I have the same problem. It is driving me crazy!! I was in a major trauma about 4 years ago and have been taking pain pills ever since. Although I do remember this problem slightly before the accident, it was nothing like it is now. I thought it might be the meds, but then why to I suddenly wake up when the sun goes down. I have thought maybe I have a sleep phase syndrome but I really don't think that is it. It is definitley connected to sunlight.I just ordered some modinifil to help with this problem. It keeps me awake but then I can't sleep at night :/.i just felt it today and thought about reading about iti cleaned and washed our front yardand it was sunny outside, suddenly i feel super tiredif u think of it,u cant go to the pool, butits useful for nightguards hehe
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2011
    • 11:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You are not wrong some times it really happen with some people.You must cover you self/head with a hat or veil first.Second i do give you a physiological treatment friend that whenever you gave to go outside in sunshiny then feel your self more energetic and active and give a surety to your self that you are the energetic person than all.
    Aaron Steve 4 Replies
    • August 23, 2011
    • 04:51 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement