Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Wrinkly, burning, red, swollen eyelids on ONE eye

Posted In: Skin conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 24, 2009
  • 06:48 PM

There are 5 important points that I want you to pay attention to:

1) the rash is ONLY affecting ONE eye. This is weird. Usually allergies affect both eyes.
2) It's WRINKLY. The wrinkledness is NOT from scratching or contact; I've been careful not to touch or rub my eyelids.
3) The small region of flaky, wrinkly skin, the size of a pea, appeared under my brow maybe more than a week ago and stayed that way for several days until spreading.
4) The corner of my eye would be itchy, and other small points around my eyelids would be itchy, BEFORE the rash "appeared" at those particular locations. In other words, you would see the rash under the brow, but the itchiness would somewhere else - at the corner of my eye.
5) It can't be blepharitis because the rash didn't start on the lids or near the lashes.

After considering these two important symptoms, consider the rest:

About a week ago, it started on the skin under the brow, near my upper eyelid. A patch of wrinkly, flaky, reddish skin. Even after washing the area, the skin was flaky like really dry skin would be.

Then this patch spread to both my upper and lower eyelids. This morning, I woke up and it's on my upper eyelid so I can't open my eye properly; I have to force it to have the normal crease. My eyelids are also swollen and puffy.

Again, this is JUST my right eye. My left eye is fine.

It's extremely tender and it burns. Cetaphil facial cleanser burns, and even mere water burns.

Redness.

Wrinkled.

Puffy.

Burning.

I asked a doctor, and he said it was a contact-caused allergic reaction. I touched my eye with something. I think he's wrong. And I know dermatologists and doctors are constantly wrong because I've been Googling all morning, finding forums where everyone complains they simply call it an allergic reaction and then it lasts for years and they discover it's yeast or something else entirely. And they suffered for years.

I DON'T WANT TO SUFFER FOR YEARS, GUYS.

And I've had plenty of allergies in my lifetime. I've had multiple cases of hives. Life-threatening hives. I'm 21, and I've NEVER had this kind of allergic reaction before. I know what an allergy feels like, okay? I've touched many things. Breathed many things. None of them have caused this before.

dgdjkh.kdshosjthsrjth/lsrjh I am now asking all the Internet to help because it's the only way.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• There are 5 important points that I want you to pay attention to:1) the rash is ONLY affecting ONE eye. This is weird. Usually allergies affect both eyes.2) It's WRINKLY. The wrinkledness is NOT from scratching or contact; I've been careful not to touch or rub my eyelids.3) The small region of flaky, wrinkly skin, the size of a pea, appeared under my brow maybe more than a week ago and stayed that way for several days until spreading.4) The corner of my eye would be itchy, and other small points around my eyelids would be itchy, BEFORE the rash "appeared" at those particular locations. In other words, you would see the rash under the brow, but the itchiness would somewhere else - at the corner of my eye.5) It can't be blepharitis because the rash didn't start on the lids or near the lashes.After considering these two important symptoms, consider the rest:About a week ago, it started on the skin under the brow, near my upper eyelid. A patch of wrinkly, flaky, reddish skin. Even after washing the area, the skin was flaky like really dry skin would be.Then this patch spread to both my upper and lower eyelids. This morning, I woke up and it's on my upper eyelid so I can't open my eye properly; I have to force it to have the normal crease. My eyelids are also swollen and puffy.Again, this is JUST my right eye. My left eye is fine.It's extremely tender and it burns. Cetaphil facial cleanser burns, and even mere water burns. Redness.Wrinkled.Puffy.Burning.I asked a doctor, and he said it was a contact-caused allergic reaction. I touched my eye with something. I think he's wrong. And I know dermatologists and doctors are constantly wrong because I've been Googling all morning, finding forums where everyone complains they simply call it an allergic reaction and then it lasts for years and they discover it's yeast or something else entirely. And they suffered for years.I DON'T WANT TO SUFFER FOR YEARS, GUYS. And I've had plenty of allergies in my lifetime. I've had multiple cases of hives. Life-threatening hives. I'm 21, and I've NEVER had this kind of allergic reaction before. I know what an allergy feels like, okay? I've touched many things. Breathed many things. None of them have caused this before.dgdjkh.kdshosjthsrjth/lsrjh I am now asking all the Internet to help because it's the only way.This might be the case of some kind of bacteria. I really don't know much about eye's but I thinkt that this could be worms or something. Don't take this post as 100% accurate because I'm really not expert in this field. Do you use any kind of cream?
    Clear-sky 76 Replies
    • December 25, 2009
    • 10:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This might be the case of some kind of bacteria. I really don't know much about eye's but I thinkt that this could be worms or something. Don't take this post as 100% accurate because I'm really not expert in this field. Do you use any kind of cream?I recently started some acne topical creams, but I think the rash may have started before I started those creams, so they are unrelated. Also, I do not apply the creams to my eyelids.I think it may be a bacteria also. I will have to speak to multiple local doctors about trying some anti-bacterial creams. Thankfully the condition has not gotten any worse and I can wait until the end of the stupid holidays argh.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 25, 2009
    • 05:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There are 5 important points that I want you to pay attention to:1) the rash is ONLY affecting ONE eye. This is weird. Usually allergies affect both eyes.2) It's WRINKLY. The wrinkledness is NOT from scratching or contact; I've been careful not to touch or rub my eyelids.3) The small region of flaky, wrinkly skin, the size of a pea, appeared under my brow maybe more than a week ago and stayed that way for several days until spreading.4) The corner of my eye would be itchy, and other small points around my eyelids would be itchy, BEFORE the rash "appeared" at those particular locations. In other words, you would see the rash under the brow, but the itchiness would somewhere else - at the corner of my eye.5) It can't be blepharitis because the rash didn't start on the lids or near the lashes.After considering these two important symptoms, consider the rest:About a week ago, it started on the skin under the brow, near my upper eyelid. A patch of wrinkly, flaky, reddish skin. Even after washing the area, the skin was flaky like really dry skin would be.Then this patch spread to both my upper and lower eyelids. This morning, I woke up and it's on my upper eyelid so I can't open my eye properly; I have to force it to have the normal crease. My eyelids are also swollen and puffy.Again, this is JUST my right eye. My left eye is fine.It's extremely tender and it burns. Cetaphil facial cleanser burns, and even mere water burns. Redness.Wrinkled.Puffy.Burning.I asked a doctor, and he said it was a contact-caused allergic reaction. I touched my eye with something. I think he's wrong. And I know dermatologists and doctors are constantly wrong because I've been Googling all morning, finding forums where everyone complains they simply call it an allergic reaction and then it lasts for years and they discover it's yeast or something else entirely. And they suffered for years.I DON'T WANT TO SUFFER FOR YEARS, GUYS. And I've had plenty of allergies in my lifetime. I've had multiple cases of hives. Life-threatening hives. I'm 21, and I've NEVER had this kind of allergic reaction before. I know what an allergy feels like, okay? I've touched many things. Breathed many things. None of them have caused this before.dgdjkh.kdshosjthsrjth/lsrjh I am now asking all the Internet to help because it's the only way.I have the same problem only in the left eye. The Dr. put me on eye drops that have done nonething. Did you find out anything? email me at Craig.Wetzel@Pacificorp.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2009
    • 04:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I recently started some acne topical creams, but I think the rash may have started before I started those creams, so they are unrelated. Also, I do not apply the creams to my eyelids.I think it may be a bacteria also. I will have to speak to multiple local doctors about trying some anti-bacterial creams. Thankfully the condition has not gotten any worse and I can wait until the end of the stupid holidays argh.I actually have the same thing going on. I have not gone to the doctor yet because I am afraid I will get the same diagnosis. An allergic reaction. I have not done anything differently lately, except start a birth control pill. Have you started any medication lately? Maybe a birth control pill? I know it has made my acne worse, and perhaps this is related to acne. I wake up in the morning and my eyelids feel dry, and they itch. I notice little red spots below my lower lid and on my upper lid. They are oblong but small...not the size of a pea. They are smaller than that.The ones on the top of the lid don't itch, only sometimes, and it's a mild itch. But the ones on the lower lids itch pretty bad and become irritated. I try not to touch them, but sometimes it gets so annoying I can't help but rub a little, but they haven't gotten worse.However, the dryness has gotten worse. I put foundation on my face when I do my makeup, and I have put it on my eyelids. This seems to help moisturize them a little, but I haven't put anything else on them.Also, mine started on the right eye, too. Just like yours. I wonder if it's the same thing. Any way you could post pictures?? Maybe I can, too..and we can see if it's the same thing and then see if a doctor out where I live gives me the same diagnosis. I live in Arizona.I have never experienced anything like this before, either. I have never had hives on my eyelids like this, and it is disturbing and uncomfortable. I know what you're going through. I'm only 23, too...Anyways, let me know. Feel free to email me if you would like to: noname0714@gmail.comI just use that email for anonymity on most sites..so don't be put off or think it's a dead email address. lol.Thanks for listening. I hope you figure it out...and I hope I do, too! Cuz it's annoying!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2010
    • 06:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just realized that I have the exact same thing. I know for a fact that I have food sensitivities (NOT allergies, but sensitivities to the proteins or chemical components) to gluten (wheat, barley, spelt, etc), eggs, dairy, yeast and sugar. This past week I ate yeast and eggs in a gluten- free, dairy-free bread. I haven't had either in a long time. That night, I also drank a glass of wine. Wine and beer contain brewer's yeast. Result: the next morning, I woke up with this eye thing. Yeast has in the past caused the corners of my eyes to itch, but never this red, flaky wrinkly pattern on puffy lids. In my mind, it's the only thing that it could be. I'm super careful about creams, foods, etc, so there are few other variables in my routine. After reading several discussion group sites, I decided to try 1 percent hydrocortisone cream and, if that doesn't work to calm it down, I will try NEEM oil, which several posters said had worked for them. And, of course, avoid yeast and eggs!Best of luck with it. It's not fun!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2010
    • 03:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I'm a 25yr woman and I'd just like to post a reply. I've had this same thing three different times over the last 3 years. ALWAYS in my left eye only, ALWAYS a puffy/swollen eyelid and minor textured, minor red rash that seems to spread on contact, but ONLY to the left half of my face. My eye randomly started up yesterday and today my left ear (the ridge and the back of it mostly, like always) and the skin directly under my bottom lip is rashing. It is hard to notice visibly which I guess is a good thing for going out, the swelling isn't horrifying, just like my eyelid is "filled out" a bit more than usual.It always occurs the same way, with me waking up and pulling my face out of the pillow and realizing it almost can't open up. The next day it's less swollen, and in a few days it's gone completely. Oh yeah, but this same scenario has happened in three totally different locations, with completely unrelated contact to everything (I'm a bit of a nomad, it's not like I've stayed in the same place for 3 years. Last time was up in San Francisco with entirely different furnishings, the other time I don't remember where I was but it was all different again.) Every material thing in my life changes all the time - the type of lotion I use, whether or not I wear makeup, the cleaning products.. so to have the same reaction three different times suggests it could have something to do with my insides, which worries me. I don't have any other symptoms though, I don't feel sick at all.. though I get a runny nose frequently, that's about it. If you have any insight into this, please post it here and ALSO please email it to me as I don't think I'll be checking back: sisikeai@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 07:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I recently started some acne topical creams, but I think the rash may have started before I started those creams, so they are unrelated. Also, I do not apply the creams to my eyelids.I think it may be a bacteria also. I will have to speak to multiple local doctors about trying some anti-bacterial creams. Thankfully the condition has not gotten any worse and I can wait until the end of the stupid holidays argh.hey! i had the same problem! and it all started when i used anti acne creams and stuff..i used to use it all the time with no problem, but i developed an allergy to it! i still have the problem though after not using it, but it's not as bad. i think you can develop allergies to things that never affected you before. good luck! i know it sucks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2010
    • 02:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would like to advise you not to rule out allergies. You can develop new allergies with new symptoms. I know what MOST of my allergies feel like, but that doesn't mean I can't develop new symptoms. These can manifest in itchiness, rash, dryness, redness, and any other number of physical symptoms.Just a thought as well, if it is flaky skin it could be eczema.:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. I also need answers on a similar problem. In the past month, on four occasions, I have woken up with a puffy( i mean really puffy) eye-lid. It is only ever my left eye. The night before my eye will be itchy and slightly irritated and it seems to start in the inner corner of my eye. As soon as I wake up and see that i have a huge eyelid, I take an anti-histamine straight away and after about 5 hours, the swelling(?) goes down and i am left with a very red, angry looking eye that is flaky. The flakiness lasts for quite a few days. I NEED HELP!!!!Today it occurred and i couldn't even see out of my eye it was that puffy/inflamed etc. It lasted all day despite the anti histamine. The doctors have also told me that it is most probably something that i am touching with my hand and then touching my eyelid with. I'm unsure though. It is driving me insane. I don't get the patchy bits if skin beforehand, like some of you seem to, but everything else seems pretty spot on. I have also resorted to the internet in search of answers. A note that might help; when i went to the doctor, she checked with a light to make sure there weren't tiny blisters on the eyelid as apparently it is quite common for people to get cold sores on their eye lids. Might want to check that out for yourself. I know someone mentioned small dots?Any help would be much appreciated! A couple more things; each time it has happened have been the only instances i have gone out at night in a social setting and drunk any alcohol. However i haven't drank anything new, changed makeup, facewash, shampoo etc etc etc. I was on the pill until about two months ago (it was also making my acne worse) and used to be on an acne cream but haven't been on that for quite a few months.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2010
    • 02:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This all sounds similar to something I have, but is now going away - a doctor figured it out.I (and my doctor) considered everything suggested in this thread, but nothing was working. I saw another doctor and he had a gross, but accurate (based on the fact that his suggested treatment is working) diagnosis: a fungal infection.He said before moving on to prescription medication, it was worth trying with non-prescription stuff. Apparently Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo contains an anti-fungal, which is what makes it work against dandruff. So I wash my eye-lids with it twice a day (like I would wash with a facial cleanser) and apply DILUTED 0.5% hydrocortisone cream. It needs to be diluted with 2 parts good facial moisturizer (he suggested Cetaphil) to 1 part hydrocortisone since the skin on eye-lids is so thin and delicate. Even so, this diluted mixture burns like f**k for the first minute I apply it. Please note: my doctor could not emphasize enough how important it was not to get any hydrocortisome cream into my eyes - that would be very very bad, so be careful.Anyway, apparently the fungal infection diagnosis was correct, since it's only been 2 days, and it's already about 80% better. A couple more days, and it will be completely better.Since Head & Shoulders is hardly a complicated medical treatment, this might be worth trying for some of you before going to another doctor.Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2010
    • 04:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so happy that you had the doctor you had during that time. I am grateful to you for sharing the information, you rock. I went to the emergency room because my eye was almost completely closed and I had a painful rash on my forehead. I read your reply and thought I would try it, (allergy and antibiotics didn't seem to be helping) I felt almost instant relief, after suffering for more that 6 days with this situation. Thank you, thank you, thank you
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My problem is exactly the same " Wrinkly, burning, red, swollen eyelid". Mine is on my left eye. I also seem to have a tiny blister on the crease of the eye . I started taking vitamin B supplements a few weeks ago when it started, that's when I noticed a slight reddening of the eyelid. I then went to Thailand and ate copious amounts of Thai food and drank lots of beer. My eyelid swelled noticeably and looked a bit droopy, in fact my cheek even looked swollen on the left side. I took some antihistamine and when the swelling started to go down on the last day (I stayed away from the Thai food and Beer on the last day), I looked like a ninety year old crone, my eyelid was so wrinkled. It's swelled again three times since I've been home and each time it's because I've had alcohol. I usually drink beer or wine. To me it seems as though I have an allergy to yeast. I went to the doctor today and he's given me antihistamine and hydrocortisone cream which seems to relieve symptoms. I'd still like to go and get myself tested for a yeast allergy.
  • the same problem .. ONE EYEplease give me your feed back ..Try to not have any thing that contains caffeine(coffee, pepsi, ... etc ) .I found improvement in my case, because I stopped eating variety of food, the thing I didn't think about is morning coffee. Also try to do train your both eye's muscles for 3 minutes. Do it 3 times or more every day. you can find how to train your eye muscles in google :). feed back please     
    yous2002if 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • There are 5 important points that I want you to pay attention to:1) the rash is ONLY affecting ONE eye. This is weird. Usually allergies affect both eyes.2) It's WRINKLY. The wrinkledness is NOT from scratching or contact; I've been careful not to touch or rub my eyelids.3) The small region of flaky, wrinkly skin, the size of a pea, appeared under my brow maybe more than a week ago and stayed that way for several days until spreading.4) The corner of my eye would be itchy, and other small points around my eyelids would be itchy, BEFORE the rash "appeared" at those particular locations. In other words, you would see the rash under the brow, but the itchiness would somewhere else - at the corner of my eye.5) It can't be blepharitis because the rash didn't start on the lids or near the lashes.After considering these two important symptoms, consider the rest:About a week ago, it started on the skin under the brow, near my upper eyelid. A patch of wrinkly, flaky, reddish skin. Even after washing the area, the skin was flaky like really dry skin would be.Then this patch spread to both my upper and lower eyelids. This morning, I woke up and it's on my upper eyelid so I can't open my eye properly; I have to force it to have the normal crease. My eyelids are also swollen and puffy.Again, this is JUST my right eye. My left eye is fine.It's extremely tender and it burns. Cetaphil facial cleanser burns, and even mere water burns. Redness.Wrinkled.Puffy.Burning.I asked a doctor, and he said it was a contact-caused allergic reaction. I touched my eye with something. I think he's wrong. And I know dermatologists and doctors are constantly wrong because I've been Googling all morning, finding forums where everyone complains they simply call it an allergic reaction and then it lasts for years and they discover it's yeast or something else entirely. And they suffered for years.I DON'T WANT TO SUFFER FOR YEARS, GUYS. And I've had plenty of allergies in my lifetime. I've had multiple cases of hives. Life-threatening hives. I'm 21, and I've NEVER had this kind of allergic reaction before. I know what an allergy feels like, okay? I've touched many things. Breathed many things. None of them have caused this before.dgdjkh.kdshosjthsrjth/lsrjh I am now asking all the Internet to help because it's the only way.the same problem .. ONE EYEplease give me your feed back ..Try to not have any thing that contains caffeine(coffee, pepsi, ... etc ) .I found improvement in my case, because I stopped eating variety of food, the thing I didn't think about is morning coffee. Also try to do train your both eye's muscles for 3 minutes. Do it 3 times or more every day. you can find how to train your eye muscles in google :). feed back please     
    yous2002if 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement