Discussions By Condition: Ear conditions

Blood in ear / clogging ear

Posted In: Ear conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 24, 2009
  • 08:33 AM

Okay, so my ears seem to build up wax a lot, and when it gets to the point that the wax blocks the canal (thus giving me the "plugged" sensation and muffled hearing) I usually wash them out with Debrox (I'm not sure exactly if it is indeed HP, it's something like it though, works on the same principle of softening the wax so it can be easily washed out w/ water, etc.)

Well, being stupid, this time I cleaned out me left ear with a Q-tip because I'd run out of Debrox and I'm a very impatient person (especially with something so annoying as ear-clogging). I cleaned as best I could, and I most likely went too far, as when I removed the last bit and felt the relief of not being clogged anymore, I also felt pain. Not a great amount, but I figured I shouldn't put the Q-tip back in anytime soon (or ever). The next morning, my ear was blocked again, but only a little bit so.

Well, of course I'm still stupid, so I again inspected my ear w/ a Q-tip, and when I pulled it out there was a little bit of blood on it (some dried and some fresh, but again, not a lot of it). I know the plugging is from the blood in my ear, and I'm 99.9 percent positive it's from me cleaning it (probably scraped the canal) and not an infection. I'm not actively "bleeding" as I don't have any excess blood coming out of my ear, it just seems to come about when I aggravate it (surprise there) and I don't get that "swishing" sensation you get when you have swimmer's ear. I will admit that I tried to wash the blood out with water, and of course all that did was plug up my ear a little bit more.

So to sum it up:

- My ear is blocked, which I'm pretty sure is from the blood.
- I was cleaning it and I believe I agitated it
- I only seem to bleed when I try to clean

- I don't believe it's an infection
- No throat, nose, ear pain (only ear pain when I try to clean it) or issues with balance.
- It has been this way for 2 days.

Oh, and the other ear is fine, by the way.

So my question(s) is, does this sound like I've just agitated my ear canal and that's where the blood is from? Is it serious enough to warrant a trip to the ER? If not, will the blood clear on it's own? / How long? Or else what should I be doing to remove it specifically? (I don't think HP will work on blood)

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Okay, so my ears seem to build up wax a lot, and when it gets to the point that the wax blocks the canal (thus giving me the "plugged" sensation and muffled hearing) I usually wash them out with Debrox (I'm not sure exactly if it is indeed HP, it's something like it though, works on the same principle of softening the wax so it can be easily washed out w/ water, etc.) Well, being stupid, this time I cleaned out me left ear with a Q-tip because I'd run out of Debrox and I'm a very impatient person (especially with something so annoying as ear-clogging). I cleaned as best I could, and I most likely went too far, as when I removed the last bit and felt the relief of not being clogged anymore, I also felt pain. Not a great amount, but I figured I shouldn't put the Q-tip back in anytime soon (or ever). The next morning, my ear was blocked again, but only a little bit so. Well, of course I'm still stupid, so I again inspected my ear w/ a Q-tip, and when I pulled it out there was a little bit of blood on it (some dried and some fresh, but again, not a lot of it). I know the plugging is from the blood in my ear, and I'm 99.9 percent positive it's from me cleaning it (probably scraped the canal) and not an infection. I'm not actively "bleeding" as I don't have any excess blood coming out of my ear, it just seems to come about when I aggravate it (surprise there) and I don't get that "swishing" sensation you get when you have swimmer's ear. I will admit that I tried to wash the blood out with water, and of course all that did was plug up my ear a little bit more. So to sum it up:- My ear is blocked, which I'm pretty sure is from the blood.- I was cleaning it and I believe I agitated it- I only seem to bleed when I try to clean- I don't believe it's an infection- No throat, nose, ear pain (only ear pain when I try to clean it) or issues with balance.- It has been this way for 2 days.Oh, and the other ear is fine, by the way.So my question(s) is, does this sound like I've just agitated my ear canal and that's where the blood is from? Is it serious enough to warrant a trip to the ER? If not, will the blood clear on it's own? / How long? Or else what should I be doing to remove it specifically? (I don't think HP will work on blood) Same thing happened to me. Well I have no health coverage so I pray it will heal itself
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2009
    • 04:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, I had that trouble not too long ago... I waited about a span of a month or two before getting it checked out. It started with the clogged up ear that would only feel clogged up in the mornings when I woke up. Then one day I noticed a little blood in one of my ears, following I started getting a little lightheaded(still do sometimes, just not as bad anymore.) One time my right ear completely plugged up and all I could was my heart beat. One night, I fell asleep on my right side and woke up to that ear clogged and a ringing sound. After a week(I waited 'til after Christmas, who wants to spoil the holiday?) and got it checked out. The doctor looked, and after preforming some kinda test he said my left ear was worse than my right(didn't feel that way to me, but okay). He said it was fluid build up and I was prescribed Deconex and went away from the doctor even more lightheaded(almost fell off a chair). My ear cleared up in just a few days, and that has almost been a month from now. Currently, I still have ringing in my ears(which increasing in pitch or turns to a hum) I'm hoping that will eventually go away. Anyways, I hope your ears clear up soon!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2010
    • 02:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I forgot to ask... Have you been having any allergies or colds lately? that could mean another sign of fluid in your ear.Hey, I had that trouble not too long ago... I waited about a span of a month or two before getting it checked out. It started with the clogged up ear that would only feel clogged up in the mornings when I woke up. Then one day I noticed a little blood in one of my ears, following I started getting a little lightheaded(still do sometimes, just not as bad anymore.) One time my right ear completely plugged up and all I could was my heart beat. One night, I fell asleep on my right side and woke up to that ear clogged and a ringing sound. After a week(I waited 'til after Christmas, who wants to spoil the holiday?) and got it checked out. The doctor looked, and after preforming some kinda test he said my left ear was worse than my right(didn't feel that way to me, but okay). He said it was fluid build up and I was prescribed Deconex and went away from the doctor even more lightheaded(almost fell off a chair). My ear cleared up in just a few days, and that has almost been a month from now. Currently, I still have ringing in my ears(which increasing in pitch or turns to a hum) I'm hoping that will eventually go away. Anyways, I hope your ears clear up soon!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2010
    • 03:50 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement