Discussions By Condition: Infectious diseases

Serious Staph Infection

Posted In: Infectious diseases 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 5, 2007
  • 00:34 AM

I am currently recovering from a serious staph infection in my lower left arm. I did NOT cut nor scratch myself on that arm. I did have a flu shot administered by my companies nurses just one day previous. I can only link the entry of the staph bacteria to the flu shot. Perhaps the staph bacteria was either on my arm or on the person giving the injection and that the injection provided a point of entry? What is perplexing however is that no irratation occured directly at the area of the injection ie it was in the upper arm area and the infection was first noticed a day and a half later initially at the elbow area as a soreness. My first question is: is it possible for the bacteria to enter through an injection in the upper arm and then to migrate down the arm and manifest itself their. What other possible expanations would you have?

I waited probably too long to go to the hospital and this made the infection much more serious. I had two surgies on the arm to drain etc and was on IV antibiodics for approximatly 30 days. I am now on oral antbiodics. I had a complication in the hospital after the surgry where my lung accumulated fluid and this had to be dealt with. I am begining to get my energy back but it is a slow up and down process.

All feedback would be appreciated.
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• It depends. Staph is most commonly spread in healthcare facilities. Any hospitalizations in past year? Have you visited anyone in the hospital in the past year? MRSA, the most common staph that is virtually untreatable, can go through mouth, nose, ears, etc. It is very contagious and can even get in your sputum instead of a body part.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 07:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It doesn't matter whether or not you (think) you didn't cut or scratch yourself...MRSA can get into even the smallest little skin break -- even if you don't notice it there. I've had Community Associated MRSA I think 3 or 4 times. The second time I had it, it was on my forehead, above my left eyebrow and was about the size of a quarter, and started funking up my sinuses; which made the areas around my eyes swell. My left one swelled basically shut. I just had outpatient surgery to get it lanced, then went home and got the rest of the gunk out myself (gross). I was also put on two antibiotic pills, one intensive one, and another which I took four times a day. I guess it just healed after the icky stuff was drained.But then again, you could've gotten it from some sort of hostpital related thing, if you've been in one. If it's really tough to get rid of, then it's probably not community associated. The infections gotten from the hostpital environment are the ones that are tough to shake.Since getting that one case checked out I didn't see a doctor the next times. I got it again about 2-4 months after that one, having not been in a hospital, and it just went away after being drained, and carefully taken care of and disinfected. You absolutely have to keep it covered until it's not an opened wound.I recently just a week ago got over a MRSA infection on my armpit (don't ask how it got THERE). I seem to deal OK with it, since I am not on any antibiotics, but I probably keep contracting the community associated kind from someone/somewhere. This kind is easier to deal with. I know that I should really see a doctor, so I definitely would NOT do as I am doing with this.I guess I learned to care for it, seeing how I've had it multiple times in the last 2 years (when we really shouldn't see it at all :P) and I know I shouldn't mess around with it. I'm sure that won't be the last time I see MRSA.I don't know how much of a help this is, but I just thought I'd share my experience. I hope things turn out good :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 09:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please try to use a little grapefruit seed extract in your juice.it kills bacteria.I hope you feel better soonand may the Lord be with you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • is one of the symtoms to a staph infection, a rash? beacuse me and my mom are trying to figure out what going on with the rash on my back. its a big area, one area more serious then others, its a rash. its red, itches at times, and they look like little pimples. but they arent pimples. so ive been doing some research about it, from what ive read a symptom isnt a rash. but im still trying to make sure. so if anyone could get back to me on that itd be awesome. my e-mail is ricekrispie78@yahoo.com just make sure you put the subject as staph infection or something beacuse i dont wanna delete it :D
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2007
    • 11:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • is one of the symtoms to a staph infection, a rash? beacuse me and my mom are trying to figure out what going on with the rash on my back. its a big area, one area more serious then others, its a rash. its red, itches at times, and they look like little pimples. but they arent pimples. so ive been doing some research about it, from what ive read a symptom isnt a rash. but im still trying to make sure. so if anyone could get back to me on that itd be awesome. my e-mail is ricekrispie78@yahoo.com just make sure you put the subject as staph infection or something beacuse i dont wanna delete it :DMRSA-- both kinds will stay with you forever. thats why you continually have outbreaks.they are controllable but not curable
  • MRSA-- both kinds will stay with you forever. thats why you continually have outbreaks.they are controllable but not curableI'm sorry but this is incorrect. MRSA, and other staph infections, do not have a latent phase. They are very much curable, but to rid the body of a MRSA infection takes aggressive antibiotic treatment and vigilance. The reason we "continually have outbreaks" rests in the fact that our health care system is not 100% compliant with isolation precautions and aseptic care. Nursing homes are particularly guilty of this. I've seen patients positive for MRSA, VRE, and CDIFF admitted into rooms with a roommates.
  • I have also had CA MRSA I've had it several times the lastest I am still recovering from I went to the DR. he was different then my usual one because she left but he misdiagosed me and the next evening I ended up in the ER my stap infection was on my face under my left eye when I was admitted into the ER my whole face was swollen and all the swelling pushed my eye back (very painful) I ended up being in the hospital for four days having a surgery to drain it and I have had to be out of work for a month. SO my advice is thead carefully, it's always best to be cautious when it comes to possibles staph. It doesn't matter whether or not you (think) you didn't cut or scratch yourself...MRSA can get into even the smallest little skin break -- even if you don't notice it there. I've had Community Associated MRSA I think 3 or 4 times. The second time I had it, it was on my forehead, above my left eyebrow and was about the size of a quarter, and started funking up my sinuses; which made the areas around my eyes swell. My left one swelled basically shut. I just had outpatient surgery to get it lanced, then went home and got the rest of the gunk out myself (gross). I was also put on two antibiotic pills, one intensive one, and another which I took four times a day. I guess it just healed after the icky stuff was drained.But then again, you could've gotten it from some sort of hostpital related thing, if you've been in one. If it's really tough to get rid of, then it's probably not community associated. The infections gotten from the hostpital environment are the ones that are tough to shake.Since getting that one case checked out I didn't see a doctor the next times. I got it again about 2-4 months after that one, having not been in a hospital, and it just went away after being drained, and carefully taken care of and disinfected. You absolutely have to keep it covered until it's not an opened wound.I recently just a week ago got over a MRSA infection on my armpit (don't ask how it got THERE). I seem to deal OK with it, since I am not on any antibiotics, but I probably keep contracting the community associated kind from someone/somewhere. This kind is easier to deal with. I know that I should really see a doctor, so I definitely would NOT do as I am doing with this.I guess I learned to care for it, seeing how I've had it multiple times in the last 2 years (when we really shouldn't see it at all :P) and I know I shouldn't mess around with it. I'm sure that won't be the last time I see MRSA.I don't know how much of a help this is, but I just thought I'd share my experience. I hope things turn out good :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2009
    • 07:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thats crazy, my 8 year old daughter just got the same thing this week.I am currently recovering from a serious staph infection in my lower left arm. I did NOT cut nor scratch myself on that arm. I did have a flu shot administered by my companies nurses just one day previous. I can only link the entry of the staph bacteria to the flu shot. Perhaps the staph bacteria was either on my arm or on the person giving the injection and that the injection provided a point of entry? What is perplexing however is that no irratation occured directly at the area of the injection ie it was in the upper arm area and the infection was first noticed a day and a half later initially at the elbow area as a soreness. My first question is: is it possible for the bacteria to enter through an injection in the upper arm and then to migrate down the arm and manifest itself their. What other possible expanations would you have?I waited probably too long to go to the hospital and this made the infection much more serious. I had two surgies on the arm to drain etc and was on IV antibiodics for approximatly 30 days. I am now on oral antbiodics. I had a complication in the hospital after the surgry where my lung accumulated fluid and this had to be dealt with. I am begining to get my energy back but it is a slow up and down process. All feedback would be appreciated.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gif
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2009
    • 09:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am currently recovering from a serious staph infection in my lower left arm. I did NOT cut nor scratch myself on that arm. I did have a flu shot administered by my companies nurses just one day previous. I can only link the entry of the staph bacteria to the flu shot. Perhaps the staph bacteria was either on my arm or on the person giving the injection and that the injection provided a point of entry? What is perplexing however is that no irratation occured directly at the area of the injection ie it was in the upper arm area and the infection was first noticed a day and a half later initially at the elbow area as a soreness. My first question is: is it possible for the bacteria to enter through an injection in the upper arm and then to migrate down the arm and manifest itself their. What other possible expanations would you have?I waited probably too long to go to the hospital and this made the infection much more serious. I had two surgies on the arm to drain etc and was on IV antibiodics for approximatly 30 days. I am now on oral antbiodics. I had a complication in the hospital after the surgry where my lung accumulated fluid and this had to be dealt with. I am begining to get my energy back but it is a slow up and down process. All feedback would be appreciated.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gifI had a bad a staph infection in my left hand which the CDC traced to Equador , because I am a Florist and it developed in weeks after Valentines Day it is related to being from a rose ****k. It started as extreme pain in my wrist which I was self treating as carpal tunnel until the pain got so bad I began chewing pills and ruptured my stomach and caused my liver to bleed. By the time I got to the hospital it seemed too late. 29 days in the hospital with a cocktail of many antibiotics and a lot of morphine,2 surgeries later and a lot of tissue loss I still have an extreme amount of pain from so much scar tissue and loss of sheaths and tissue.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2010
    • 07:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am currently recovering from a serious staph infection in my lower left arm. I did NOT cut nor scratch myself on that arm. I did have a flu shot administered by my companies nurses just one day previous. I can only link the entry of the staph bacteria to the flu shot. Perhaps the staph bacteria was either on my arm or on the person giving the injection and that the injection provided a point of entry? What is perplexing however is that no irratation occured directly at the area of the injection ie it was in the upper arm area and the infection was first noticed a day and a half later initially at the elbow area as a soreness. My first question is: is it possible for the bacteria to enter through an injection in the upper arm and then to migrate down the arm and manifest itself their. What other possible expanations would you have?I waited probably too long to go to the hospital and this made the infection much more serious. I had two surgies on the arm to drain etc and was on IV antibiodics for approximatly 30 days. I am now on oral antbiodics. I had a complication in the hospital after the surgry where my lung accumulated fluid and this had to be dealt with. I am begining to get my energy back but it is a slow up and down process. All feedback would be appreciated.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gifi recently had a staph infection on my inner thigh a few days after a booster shot you get at 14 but before that i was on a antibiotic for a pilonidal cyst and i havent seen the doctor about it im hoping to heal it with rubbing alcohol. because of this i believe you are right the infection is in the shot they gave you and not the person. you might also have a low immune system because thats how i think i recieved an infection from dead cells.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2010
    • 09:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello...My name is Debbie and I might have this infection as I have had many of the symptoms including bois, nauseau, skin breakout, high fever, sweats and more. I have been diagnosed with fbromyalgsia but feel that will all the doctors and Emergency rooms I have been too, they did not look into my blood very well. The boils I still have and my Mom has this and I would not have even known. Can any one tell me how it can be diagnosed because the doctors I have been too were not too competent. Thank you.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have been getting MRSA for the last year off and on. Between October and December of 2009 I had 5 surgeries for it and was on iv antibiotics for 2 days with 1 of them. I have had several since then. Currently I have one in my ear and 3 other ones. I have no clue where it is coming from and how to keep them from appearing. I am hoping to see an infectious disease doctor on Wed and maybe get some answers and relief. Thanks for all the discussions on here!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2010
    • 03:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm sorry but this is incorrect. MRSA, and other staph infections, do not have a latent phase. They are very much curable, but to rid the body of a MRSA infection takes aggressive antibiotic treatment and vigilance. The reason we "continually have outbreaks" rests in the fact that our health care system is not 100% compliant with isolation precautions and aseptic care. Nursing homes are particularly guilty of this. I've seen patients positive for MRSA, VRE, and CDIFF admitted into rooms with a roommates.Unfortunately staph does have a latent, or more accurately, a stationary phase-and it seems many physicians are not aware of this or they prefer not to mention it to the patient (understandable considering the distress this would cause). I know-I have had MRSA for 4 + years and despite extremely aggressive antibiotic treatment-I still have it. Treatments are effective only against multiplying (or active) bacteria and not against non-multiplying (stationary or latent) bacteria. The doctors confirmed that the staph was latent (not dormant- a very important difference) but latent/stationary and I was told the infection would probably never be truly "cured", managed but not "cured".
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2010
    • 11:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • is one of the symtoms to a staph infection, a rash? beacuse me and my mom are trying to figure out what going on with the rash on my back. its a big area, one area more serious then others, its a rash. its red, itches at times, and they look like little pimples. but they arent pimples. so ive been doing some research about it, from what ive read a symptom isnt a rash. but im still trying to make sure. so if anyone could get back to me on that itd be awesome. my e-mail is ricekrispie78@yahoo.com just make sure you put the subject as staph infection or something beacuse i dont wanna delete it :Dwhen i had staph on my legs i did notice pimple like bumps too and it turned out to be staph! the redness can be inflamation!! i recommend getting it checked out ASAP!!! oh and i would suggest marking with a marker to outline the redness so if it spreads you know something is clearly wrong (thats what my doc. did to me)! DO NOT SCRATCH if you do you will get the infection under your nails and if you scratch your eye you could transfer it to your eye tissue! you could possably have eaither staph, mrsa, or cellulitis and all of them are very dangerous!!! get to a doctor asap!
  • Help! --I think this may be the case with me too. I am taking a Microbiology class and the swab sample from my forehead appears to be Staphylococcus. For the past month, my lab partners and my little sister have been bothered by spreading itchy bumps on our body..... It seems very odd because first I see small red dots on my right hand's ring finger middle phalanges and itchy red bumps on my left upper arm (which spread downwards); they subsided somewhat right now but I am worried. Our symptoms are similar, but everyone gives different explanations: One of the lab partners (two of them) went to the doctor and the doctor says it is allergy when she and I have never been allergic to anything or do anything unusual besides class, my mom thinks my little sister's from mosquito bites (there aren't any that we catch) and that mine is from allergy, and now I am suspecting it to be Staph.....My face is affected too. I felt an itch sometime but I didn't take notice. My families notice there are red dots on my face.....
  • recurring boils at the same place give rise to the staph infection. it is mainly caused due to staph bacteria. boilx is regarded as best treatment for boils as well as staph infection.
    smithbush 2 Replies
    • September 7, 2011
    • 00:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • staph infection is mostly caused due to recurrent boils. it is better to use natural remedies for the treatment for boils as soon as it erupts.
    smithbush 2 Replies
    • October 16, 2011
    • 01:56 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement