Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Shortness of breath+heart palpitations

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 4, 2007
  • 11:24 PM

I have been having heart palpitations now for about 2 years...They can go away for 2 months, and then come back and happen more than 1 time per day. They seem to worsen in the winter ( cold weather maybe?). Lately, I have also had a cough that wouldn't go away.. It started as a cold and after about 2 weeks, i went into a doctor, and without doing any tests/xray, he said it was my sinuses (even though my nose wasn't plugged up at the time). He gave me antibiotics for 15 days (still on them, last dose tomorrow). I still have a cough, though it is better. And last, sometimes I will get this shortness of breath like I need to really take a big breath for no reason. I get this heavy feeling in my chest, (feels like someone is standing on my chest, only not as severe). Using an inhaler does help though. Not sure if these are all connected, but I thought I would ask anyway...

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• You sound like you are very short of VitC. 12 - 15 0000 mgs per day until bowel tolerance, will probably clear up the problem.
    Phillip 5 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 08:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hm.. Thanks for the help. Will try that. Also, one more thing. When im trying to sleep at night, I notice off and on a slight red color in my vision. Not like a complete blind with red, but its kinda scary. Just thought I'd let you know, and if anyone else is having the same weird symptom, it helps them too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 11:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I would suggest that you be very mindful of the directions given you with your inhaler. DO NOT OVER USE YOUR INHALER! OVER USE OF YOUR INHALER CAN BE VERY ******n YOUR HEART! Do you have high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, or thyroid disease? If you do, be sure that your doctor knows this. Your inhaler use can worsen these conditons. TAKE CARE...GOOD LUCK...SKEETER. :)
    skeeter 42 Replies
    • January 10, 2007
    • 00:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • DON'T TAKE THIS LIGHTLY!! You need to get checked out because the same thing happened to me and I saw doctors and they saw me. But I feel I was being blown off as a stressed out woman. Finally when I took in a picture of my left leg normal and the other purple my referring doc took me a bit more seriously. I was diagnosed w/congestive heart failure and congestive cardiomyopathy. A condition that is life threatening. I went years w/o proper care, and some of the muscle damage may have been preventable.Go get this checked out. I had bloodwork done, a stress test which I passed w/flying colors, and an echocardiogram. The next day the cardiologist wanted a holter monitor (which i had had many before and also an event monitor which is worn for 30+ days) . Then another echocardiogram. A week later I'm scheduled for a heart cath. I have no circulatory issues. No high blood pressure etc. Bottom line was over active adrenal glands which damaged my heart muscle. Very few people improve from this-but so far I have receive a 5% improvement status so it can happen. But I am not out of the woods by any means.Go get checked - and don't take no for an answer. Pay attention to you body and if you feel something is wrong dont take no for an answer-in fact when I first got up from a meeting and could not feel my legs I, too was diagnosed with a sinus infection ....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 11:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I been having these heart palpitations for a couple yrs now. It is a fast and hard heartbeat,you can see it beating through my shirt. When it happens I get this weird feeling in my throat (like when you run for a long period). I could have one today and then nothing for month or months. There have been a couple of times where it has woken me up. About 2 weeks ago it woke me up, I had this fast & hard heartbeat, and everytime I moved I was out of breath, I was also clamy,and weak I just had to sit down, and even at that I was out of breath, although the beat slowed down (but not normal) it took about 2 hrs before I felt normal. I never have any chest pain with these episodes(which is good). This out of breath stuff has happened 1 x before where after it happened I was really tired, in which I had to lie down all day, I was just really tired, and I had only been awake for 2 hrs. There have been lots of times, when my heart beat feels like a flutter, but it quick and very short lived (like seconds) I have a moderate size heart murmur, and sleep apnea and I am being treated for that. Other than that I am healthy. I have woren the event monitor several times and haven't been able to catch it, although I would have recorded it, if I had hit the button right. Now I am going to see a cardiologist. My primary doctor said it may be nothing more than an anxiety attack. When he says this I think to myself, but I don't feel like i have any anxiety when it happens. I just want to know what the heck. I don't like the feeling.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 02:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HelloMy mom has this! She is 67 and she has had it for about 15 years now. They used to tell her it was an anxiety attack (the diagnosis they seem to give everyone and everything when they can't explain why something happens to us!)But turns out it wasn't. She has a problem with her heart that causes it to starting racing and she can't stop it. She has the same symptoms you do when it starts racing. It sometimes would get so bad she was afraid to move fast, she would walk very slowly and do things very slowly because she feared anything that might make her heart start to race. I am trying to call her right now so I can get the name of what they call it. She has been put on medication that slows down her heart and that helped for awhile, but it made her blood pressure drop so low that the docs decided to decrease the dosage. She had a procedure done about 6 years ago where she was awake and they went in to her heart and did some work. That surgery or procedure was scary for her but it helped for about another 4 years, then 2 years ago she started gradually having the attacks again. She just LAST WEEK was hospitalized becuz they couldn't slow her heart rate down, so they put her to sleep, shocked her with the paddles and brought her heart rate back into rhythm. It sounds horrible, and she was scared, but it worked. It only took 5 minutes. She feels great now. She is back on the meds, at their full mgs. and she has been told if it happens again the only other thing she can do is get a pacemaker. That way her heart will be able to be regulated, and it won't do this racing thing and palpitation thing anymore. I know this is what you have. IT is identical to all my moms symptoms. You will probably get a good diagnosis from the cardiologist. Let me know what he/she says. I will be praying for you!Becky
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 00:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • four i see you said you have sleep apnea do you ware a cpap machine for that? If not you need to for years i have had heart palps and doctors told me it was anxiety also i use to wake up with my heart racing and they said it was panick attacks in my sleep but i found out when you have sleep apnea your heart doesnt get the oxygen it needs, when you have sleep apnea so it beats harder and faster it can cause you to have atrial fib also it causes alot of other health issues so if you dont have this machine you need to get one for your sake good luck all
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been having heart palpitations now for about 2 years...They can go away for 2 months, and then come back and happen more than 1 time per day. They seem to worsen in the winter ( cold weather maybe?). Lately, I have also had a cough that wouldn't go away.. It started as a cold and after about 2 weeks, i went into a doctor, and without doing any tests/xray, he said it was my sinuses (even though my nose wasn't plugged up at the time). He gave me antibiotics for 15 days (still on them, last dose tomorrow). I still have a cough, though it is better. And last, sometimes I will get this shortness of breath like I need to really take a big breath for no reason. I get this heavy feeling in my chest, (feels like someone is standing on my chest, only not as severe). Using an inhaler does help though. Not sure if these are all connected, but I thought I would ask anyway... 1st of all ..i would like to say ur problem is purely cardiovascular/respiratory one..and i donot think that sinusitis has role..ur symptoms are ...a)palpitation worse in cold..b)shortness in ur breath(dyspnea)..c)crushing pain>>>>all those symptoms are bad>>>and may be also psychogenic>>>so further investigation are rquired : A)FBC,CRP,ESR,(U&ES),ABGs B)CXR,ECG (NORMAL,EXERCISE) POSIPLE DIAGNOSIS: ANEMIA OR UNSTABLE ANGINA OR ASTHMA SO,,,,UR( AGE,WEIGHT,SMOKING or other special habits,BP) MUST BE INCLUDED IN UR COMPLAINT +INVESTIGATION TO REACH DEFINITE DIAGNOSIS...........>>>>PLZ TAKE MY ADVICE AND TELL ME THE RESULT>>>>>DRM 4UR HEALTH WELFARE
    drmady 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had Palpitations for a couple of days now, first time ever, I also have shortness of breath, but i've experienced that before with stress, the reason why my Palpitations is going for a while is being I keep worring about it and i cant get my head off of it, but i've found out doing activites with friends or talking and not thinking about your heart is a great way to notice that it's slowed down back to normal, when i do it, i put my hand on my heart at a random moment, and i can feel it normal for a few seconds, after it goes back up to faster because i've set my memory to my heart again.. I'm going to the doctors in a few hours just to see if everything is ok, with that, you won't have to worry much about it, i'm 16 and pretty skinny, wieght about 65kg and being 6'3..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2007
    • 02:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been getting the exact same symptoms as the person who entered the first post. However, lately it has been getting worse. Instead of getting it once a day, i am getting it about 3 or 4 times a day and been feeling a strain on the heart lately.Only trouble is that, a couple of weeks ago i went to the doctors and after a blood test and an ECG they said that everything was fine, basically leaving the problem unsolved. I'm not sure if it is related but i've also been feeling lightheaded and sick a lot as well. If anybody has any advice, big or small, please post, as it would help me greatly.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 09:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes I have the same problems even now still...But in the beginning (in the year 2000) the ONLY reason they did test is b/c I had just had a baby two weeks prior to the appt and when I had my son I weighed 156 lbs and two weeks later I weighed in at not even 100 lbs. Anyways, I was diagnosed w/ graves disease but w/ Graves your heart Races A lot and "flutters" ect.ect. Well now almost 8 years later I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis from the radiation I was given for the Graves. I was very young when all this started..Diagnosed w/ Graves at 20 and I'm almost 28 now but to get to the point Thyroid Disease can cause this and I don't think a Thyroid panel is done unless you ask for it. It's a simple blood test but it's important that you tell the doc you want a Panel and not just a Thyroid test it does make a difference. Based on statistics one out of every two women die of heart failure/disease/stroke/heart attack/ ect...so with that said the BEST machine out right now to diagnose a heart problem of the smallest kind would be the 360 Slice. (I think that's what it's name is??) I saw this on TV but I researched it after that (it's been almost a year ago) and it's suppose to work wonders! Good luck and doc's can sometimes make us discouraged and make us feel "Crazy" but follow what your body tells you. There is a reason for everything that happens and I believe God gives us symptoms for a reason.
    cathy27 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hey Everyone-I seem to have the same situation as a few of you! I am 20 years old and scared to no end! And I dont know what to do?! It is like everything is normal and then my heart will just start beating fast so I try breathing normal and slowly to keep myself calm but then I will start to get this pain in my throat sometimes. And its been really hard for me to fall asleep or for that fact stay asleep! So I did take some sleeping meds. but found myself awake and really shacky and I threw up and just felt weak and tired but I cant fall back to sleep! Its been like this for a few weeks now and just seems to beat faster but only in spurts and for very few seconds. If you have any answers or suggestions that would be great! =D
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Well, It seems I've joined THIS club now. I have the same thing all of you have. I've only had it twice (that I can really pin point)..but it was enough for me to go to the doctor the first time and weather it out myself the second. What I find SO strange is that it went away as fast as it came on the second time...which was this week. I had it for about 4 days. Every move was an exertion. I walked and had to stop to rest and breathe! I felt like I was 100..and I am 61 and very active usually. I also have Graves Disease but it it under control and refuse to take the radio active iodine..I do the meds...PTU. When it's under control? I don't even know I have Graves. and it's always under control. I decided this time I was going to keep a food and sleep diary to see if there was any correlation....too much salt perhaps? I am going to a doctor soon and will see what she has to say. I hope I don't have to go through all that the woman aboves mother went through. Just the thought of going into a hospital would send me through the roof.The scariest thing is trying to catch your breath..it's like breathing in a bucket of water! The time I went to the doctor they threw me on an EKG machine and she was shocked..my oxygen levels were SO low. She gave me a beta blocker which just about made me comatose but it DID calm the heart. I was kind of thinking perhaps meopause and hormones played a roll in this...I am just so thankful that today? I can mow the lawn and take in huge breaths of air!..HOW do people smoke???? I wish someone would get to the bottom of this.. to me... a regiment of Vit C is not the answer...it's much BIGGER than that!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2008
    • 03:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • So I have some of the same symptoms as some of you. I am 30, slightly overweight but the other day my heart started "fluttering" very hard when I was sitting down. Happened for about 3 days in the row. Then on the 4th day I started feeling like I couldn't catch a breath, felt like a lot of pressure in my chest. And my heart starting fluttering or palpitating again. I went to the ER where I was given 2 EKG's that came back normal, put on a monitor and had my oxygen checked. My heart would start racing and then calm down over and over even though I was in bed. My oxygen levels were normal but still felt hard to catch a breath. I then had a chest CT to make sure I didn't have a clot in my chest, which came back normal. I was then sent home with paperwork on palpitations and told to follow up with my Dr. It is now today, and I could barely make the half a block walk to pick my son up from preschool because it was so hard to breath. By the time I got home my heart was pounding so hard I had to sit down till it past. This started a long day of hardly being able to move around because of the lack of air I feel, and the racing heart when I try to do simple tasks. My chest starts to tingle and then i feel a pound, and then my heart races. It has also been difficult to finish a whole sentence without taking a breath. I am a singer, and I can hold a note for awhile and I am now not able to sing because I can't catch my breath. I also started to get a cough to go along with it. I have an appointment with my Dr tomorrow, but the few times I've had to see him he's tried to tell me that things are hormonal or anxiety. I'm starting to think that alot of the health problems that I have had over the past year are related.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 02:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i am 30 yo male athletic build and i had no heart problems what so ever , i used to play bodybuilding for 5 years and i never had any supplements , 15/05/2011 i had shortness of breath that prevented me from sleeping for 2 hours, the next day i had symptoms that felt like a heart attack including palpitation , shortness of breath , fatigue , chest pain , when i reached the ER all the symptoms were gone they made heart enzymes test and it came negative, ecg , blood test , chest x-ray, all came negative, i spent 2 days in the icu and i was released to make ct for my heart, it also came negative. later i had several ecg s (5) and they all came negative, still so far i went to another doctor that diagnosed me with GERD , after one month of gerd medications i had symptoms decreasing but never gone, so i consulted a respiratory system doctor who gave me an inhaler that never helped, two month later i still had the same symptoms only with higher intensity and daily like clockwork, so it is normal to me to have palpitations and shortness of breath and back pain , lately i am experiencing severe back pain that worsens with some positions and after using massage cream it tends to go away for 30 minutes approx , i still suffer from the same symptoms and actually i am out of ideas where to go and who to consult , i will consult a cardiologist soon but i feel like hitting a dead end here as no one can really diagnose the symptoms i have.
    hamada 1 Replies
    • February 3, 2012
    • 02:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No one had admitted to cocaine use in the past or currently. Not saying that that is the only cause for these symptoms although it is a major factor for them in young adults. The parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems are effected by cocaine use, even in the sort term. The parasympathetic system slows down the heart and other systems when the brain tells it to. Cocaine inhibits the system from conveying the message from the brain and the heart will continue to race along which creates chest pain, palpitations, and other complications, Panic attacks are also common among Cocaine users. When a panic attack occurs the hear races up to 200 beats a minutes which often causes a tear in the aortic arterial wall and can cause sudden death or even cause death years later as the tear continues to grow. The only cure for these systems in the long run is a pace maker. The doctors will try everything under the sun prior to suggesting the pace maker and in just a few cases medication and therapy will help for a while, although the damage is done and the symptoms will resurface.
    smrivas123 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • No one had admitted to cocaine use in the past or currently.  Not saying that that is the only cause for these symptoms although it is a major factor for them in young adults.  The parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems are effected by cocaine use, even in the sort term.  The parasympathetic system slows down the heart and other systems when the brain tells it to.  Cocaine inhibits the system from conveying the message from the brain and the heart will continue to race along which creates chest pain, palpitations, and other complications,  Panic attacks are also common among Cocaine users.  When a panic attack occurs the hear races up to 200 beats a minutes which often causes a tear in the aortic arterial wall and can cause sudden death or even cause death years later as the tear continues to grow.  The only cure for these systems in the long run is a pace maker.  The doctors will try everything under the sun prior to suggesting the pace maker and in just a few cases medication and therapy will help for a while, although the damage is done and the symptoms will resurface.
    smrivas123 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement