Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

HELP! eyebrow hair loss!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 17 Replies
  • Posted By: summer__lover
  • December 11, 2009
  • 07:44 AM

so it's been going on for months...
at first i just started losing eye brow hairs, i would find them on my face or keyboard. over time (months) the amount of eyebrow hairs lost increased. i started to lose lots of them at once. then i noticed that when i got out of the shower the area around my eyebrows had dead skin.

female/ 20.
there is no redness.
they rarely itch.
no i dont overpluck my eyebrows.
my thyroids have been checked multiple times,
i recently had a lot of blood work done and everything came back fine.
i dont touch/ mess with my eyebrows.

i did notice that my skin has been more oily than normal,
but im not sure what that would have to do with it.

ive been to many doctors, most dont take me seriously but its getting to the point where i dont know if i can go to school much longer. eyebrows are important to me, ive always had great ones and i used to model and now they look jacked up. it sounds stupid but once your eyebrow hairs start falling out you'll understand.

also...
the eyebrow hairloss started on the inner part of my eyebrow (the part near the middle of your face) its slowly worked its way out.

thanks to anyone that replies, feed back is appreciated.
if you've had similar problems or have any questions let me know!

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• Hi..I have the same issue with my eyebrows and visited two dermatologists who were not helpful. Did you ever find out what the diagnosis was? If so, please share.Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2010
    • 06:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • unfortunately i haven't figured out anything. doctors just wont take me seriously since they never saw what they looked like before in person, for all they know thats just the way they look. because honestly to someone who doesn't know me it's not that bad (considering that most girls today have thin eyebrows due to over plucking, but i'm not into that).what i've noticed since i posted this is that the eyebrow hair thins out really badly (on the inner part) then slowly starts to grow back, then later thins out again. it goes on and on. i've just learned to live with it. i wish i could help, and i wish mine got better, but ya, i've got nothing. just know that if you do have the same thing that i do, it does grow back so thats a plus. it's just never thick bc hair's are also dropping out at the same time. (me telling the doctors that i saw a little bit of slow regrowth is another reason they didn't take me seriously, they said most eyebrow problems don't have regrowth so that it was just a matter of time till they grew back to normal. ya that never happened since they drop out faster than they grow, but at least they will never be fully gone in that spot :/ )
    summer__lover 5 Replies
    • August 27, 2010
    • 02:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This symptom is pretty easy to heal with the help of a homeopathic remedy.But there are more remedies which has this symptom. To choose the right one for you you need to consult a homeopath or give some more informations about yourself.Check this homeopathic remedies here and see what is matching you best in the order given in the link beneath:http://www.homeoint.org/books/boericmm/index.htmNitricum acidumAgaricusPhoshoricum acidumSiliceaPlumbumBelladonnaFACE - HAIR - falling of hair - EyebrowsAgar, ail. alum. Anan. aur-m. Bell, borx. caust. ***l.kali-c. merc. mill. Nit-ac.1 par. ph-ac. plb-act. plb.k sanic. sel. sil. sulph.It can be psycho-somatic triggered (stress, worries, mental exhausted, etc.) or from toxins.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2010
    • 04:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • its started two months before and every day im losin since its started they had grown new ones but still it just keep sheding ive also have now dry flakes on my eyebrows i had that never before and i have a funny feeling like i ow to dont know how to explain like a little anesthesia in outer eyebrow area and in the midle between two eyebrows and also i had a stong pressure feeling on my nose and beetwen my eyebrows 2 weeks ago.thank you any one thad could idicate to something
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi! I see that your post is older but i thought I would check in and see how it was going for you. Ive done lots of online searching and your story is the one that sounds exactly what I have been experiencing. Its been about 4 months so far for me. Just wondering if they are still holding on for you and if you have tried anything new that maybe helped or found an answer. Ive heard of trying steroid shots (but Im concerned of blindness - rare side effect) and Lattise to prompt growth but Im nervous that will make it worse. Worst case option is an eyebrow transplant but Im hoping it wont come to that. Anyway, if you had an update you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it. many thanks! unfortunately i haven't figured out anything. doctors just wont take me seriously since they never saw what they looked like before in person, for all they know thats just the way they look. because honestly to someone who doesn't know me it's not that bad (considering that most girls today have thin eyebrows due to over plucking, but i'm not into that). what i've noticed since i posted this is that the eyebrow hair thins out really badly (on the inner part) then slowly starts to grow back, then later thins out again. it goes on and on. i've just learned to live with it. i wish i could help, and i wish mine got better, but ya, i've got nothing. just know that if you do have the same thing that i do, it does grow back so thats a plus. it's just never thick bc hair's are also dropping out at the same time. (me telling the doctors that i saw a little bit of slow regrowth is another reason they didn't take me seriously, they said most eyebrow problems don't have regrowth so that it was just a matter of time till they grew back to normal. ya that never happened since they drop out faster than they grow, but at least they will never be fully gone in that spot :/ )
    lovecure1 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi! I see that your post is older but i thought I would check in and see how it was going for you. Ive done lots of online searching and your story is the one that sounds exactly what I have been experiencing. Its been about 4 months so far for me. Just wondering if they are still holding on for you and if you have tried anything new that maybe helped or found an answer. Ive heard of trying steroid shots (but Im concerned of blindness - rare side effect) and Lattise to prompt growth but Im nervous that will make it worse. Worst case option is an eyebrow transplant but Im hoping it wont come to that. Anyway, if you had an update you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it. many thanks!Hi there... I have read over these posts... they are from a few years ago and to present... I see that no one has really found a cure or any lifestyle changes that help... I am suffering from the same problem.. and well if I cant fix it.. I was hoping one of you can advice on the best way to cover it up.. also the best way to handle it... any advice.. as I am new to the site and new to the problems.. as you all have been... thank you
  • Hey, I joined to tell you I am having the same problem since April and still I don't have a diagnosis and have seen 4 doctors and 1 dermatologist and they were all no help..anyway I done a lot of reading and I think maybe it is due to seborrheic dermatitis..have you tried using Nizoral shampoo on them?
    Ana_Gazelle 2 Replies
    • August 31, 2011
    • 04:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • so it's been going on for months...at first i just started losing eye brow hairs, i would find them on my face or keyboard. over time (months) the amount of eyebrow hairs lost increased. i started to lose lots of them at once. then i noticed that when i got out of the shower the area around my eyebrows had dead skin. female/ 20.there is no redness.they rarely itch.no i dont overpluck my eyebrows.my thyroids have been checked multiple times,i recently had a lot of blood work done and everything came back fine. i dont touch/ mess with my eyebrows.i did notice that my skin has been more oily than normal,but im not sure what that would have to do with it.ive been to many doctors, most dont take me seriously but its getting to the point where i dont know if i can go to school much longer. eyebrows are important to me, ive always had great ones and i used to model and now they look jacked up. it sounds stupid but once your eyebrow hairs start falling out you'll understand.also... the eyebrow hairloss started on the inner part of my eyebrow (the part near the middle of your face) its slowly worked its way out. thanks to anyone that replies, feed back is appreciated.if you've had similar problems or have any questions let me know!Hey, I know you posted this a long time ago, but just wondering what happened with your eyebrows? did you manage to find out what was the problem?
    Ana_Gazelle 2 Replies
    • August 31, 2011
    • 04:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, I completely forgot about this forum. I actually googled eyebrow hair loss and came across this.DO NOT READ ON IF YOU ONLY WANT A SOLUTION because unfortunately, I'm still experiencing eyebrow hair loss.....but it's not consistent. Both of my eyebrows lose their inner eyebrow hairs but it's much worse on my right eyebrow. I've noticed that the hair loss goes through phases, sometimes many hairs will fall out and sometimes only a few will (I know this because sometimes I will have an obvious chunk of eyebrow hairs missing and sometimes I won't, plus I see the eyebrow hairs on my face after showers). Thankfully the hairs still slowly grow back, but sometimes the drop out rate is much faster than the growing in speed. My life has become a weird cycle of depression and happiness due to this. The hairs drop out, slowly grow in, sometimes stay there for 2 weeks then start to drop out again. It's a repeated cycle that goes on and on and when they drop out I get depressed and embarrassed, and when they grow in I'm extremely happy. I gave up seeking help from doctors a long time ago. They just didn't think that it was a serious medical issue. I do fear that it is linked to something else, like hormones, diet, or something else that has gone undiagnosed, but at this rate I'll never know unless I find a great doctor or find help over the internet. Some additional information:I am on birth control, I have been for years. I asked my doctor if this could be linked to my eyebrow hair loss and she strongly believed that it wasn't. However she allowed me to try other birth controls just to see if there was a change. I didn't see an obvious change so I did switch back to my old birth control.I consider myself to be healthy. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I eat healthy food and I don't think I'm missing anything from my diet, so lack of nutrition or anything like that probably isn't the cause. However I do wonder if something that I'm eating causes this, like gluten. (who knows)My parents and siblings are healthy and they all have thick, full eyebrows.... just like I used to. So there are no obvious genetic connections.I do still have oily skin sometimes and when I do it's oily around my inner eyebrows too (connection? maybe.. but I haven't found anything useful to help it) I have tried Nizoral shampoo, not for a long period of time though. I quit because gently washing my eyebrows with it was increasing the eyebrow hair loss! It was probably just due to the fact that I was rubbing my eyebrows making all the loose hairs fall out but after a couple of weeks I couldn't take it anymore. I don't mess with my eyebrows at all, I don't pick, pull, rub, or over pluck the hairs. I fear making my eyebrow hairs fall out so I leave them alone as much as possible. The only thing that I have learned from this is that IT DOES GET BETTER. In my case, it has always gotten better and during that time I have so much hope. I'm hoping that one day during the grow in/ slow drop out phase it will stay that way or that I'll figure out what I'm doing to cause this. Unfortunately for now I'll be living my roller coaster of emotions based on my eyebrow loss but I do believe that we can figure this out! It's not a lost cause because there is regrowth. Something is causing this and due to the regrowth I believe it is fixable! If you know anything please post!
    summer__lover 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Wow, I completely forgot about this forum. I actually googled eyebrow hair loss and came across this.DO NOT READ ON IF YOU ONLY WANT A SOLUTION because unfortunately, I'm still experiencing eyebrow hair loss.....but it's not consistent. Both of my eyebrows lose their inner eyebrow hairs but it's much worse on my right eyebrow. I've noticed that the hair loss goes through phases, sometimes many hairs will fall out and sometimes only a few will (I know this because sometimes I will have an obvious chunk of eyebrow hairs missing and sometimes I won't, plus I see the eyebrow hairs on my face after showers). Thankfully the hairs still slowly grow back, but sometimes the drop out rate is much faster than the growing in speed. My life has become a weird cycle of depression and happiness due to this. The hairs drop out, slowly grow in, sometimes stay there for 2 weeks then start to drop out again. It's a repeated cycle that goes on and on and when they drop out I get depressed and embarrassed, and when they grow in I'm extremely happy. I gave up seeking help from doctors a long time ago. They just didn't think that it was a serious medical issue. I do fear that it is linked to something else, like hormones, diet, or something else that has gone undiagnosed, but at this rate I'll never know unless I find a great doctor or find help over the internet. Some additional information:I am on birth control, I have been for years. I asked my doctor if this could be linked to my eyebrow hair loss and she strongly believed that it wasn't. However she allowed me to try other birth controls just to see if there was a change. I didn't see an obvious change so I did switch back to my old birth control.I consider myself to be healthy. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I eat healthy food and I don't think I'm missing anything from my diet, so lack of nutrition or anything like that probably isn't the cause. However I do wonder if something that I'm eating causes this, like gluten. (who knows)My parents and siblings are healthy and they all have thick, full eyebrows.... just like I used to. So there are no obvious genetic connections.I do still have oily skin sometimes and when I do it's oily around my inner eyebrows too (connection? maybe.. but I haven't found anything useful to help it) I have tried Nizoral shampoo, not for a long period of time though. I quit because gently washing my eyebrows with it was increasing the eyebrow hair loss! It was probably just due to the fact that I was rubbing my eyebrows making all the loose hairs fall out but after a couple of weeks I couldn't take it anymore. I don't mess with my eyebrows at all, I don't pick, pull, rub, or over pluck the hairs. I fear making my eyebrow hairs fall out so I leave them alone as much as possible. The only thing that I have learned from this is that IT DOES GET BETTER. In my case, it has always gotten better and during that time I have so much hope. I'm hoping that one day during the grow in/ slow drop out phase it will stay that way or that I'll figure out what I'm doing to cause this. Unfortunately for now I'll be living my roller coaster of emotions based on my eyebrow loss but I do believe that we can figure this out! It's not a lost cause because there is regrowth. Something is causing this and due to the regrowth I believe it is fixable! If you know anything please post!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Wow, I completely forgot about this forum. I actually googled eyebrow hair loss and came across this. DO NOT READ ON IF YOU ONLY WANT A SOLUTION because unfortunately, I'm still experiencing eyebrow hair loss..... but it's not consistent. Both of my eyebrows lose their inner eyebrow hairs but it's much worse on my right eyebrow. I've noticed that the hair loss goes through phases, sometimes many hairs will fall out and sometimes only a few will (I know this because sometimes I will have an obvious chunk of eyebrow hairs missing and sometimes I won't, plus I see the eyebrow hairs on my face after showers). Thankfully the hairs still slowly grow back, but sometimes the drop out rate is much faster than the growing in speed. My life has become a weird cycle of depression and happiness due to this. The hairs drop out, slowly grow in, sometimes stay there for 2 weeks then start to drop out again. It's a repeated cycle that goes on and on and when they drop out I get depressed and embarrassed, and when they grow in I'm extremely happy. I gave up seeking help from doctors a long time ago. They just didn't think that it was a serious medical issue. I do fear that it is linked to something else, like hormones, diet, or something else that has gone undiagnosed, but at this rate I'll never know unless I find a great doctor or find help over the internet. Some additional information: I am on birth control, I have been for years. I asked my doctor if this could be linked to my eyebrow hair loss and she strongly believed that it wasn't. However she allowed me to try other birth controls just to see if there was a change. I didn't see an obvious change so I did switch back to my old birth control. I consider myself to be healthy. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I eat healthy food and I don't think I'm missing anything from my diet, so lack of nutrition or anything like that probably isn't the cause. However I do wonder if something that I'm eating causes this, like gluten. (who knows) My parents and siblings are healthy and they all have thick, full eyebrows.... just like I used to. So there are no obvious genetic connections. I do still have oily skin sometimes and when I do it's oily around my inner eyebrows too (connection? maybe.. but I haven't found anything useful to help it) I have tried Nizoral shampoo, not for a long period of time though. I quit because gently washing my eyebrows with it was increasing the eyebrow hair loss! It was probably just due to the fact that I was rubbing my eyebrows making all the loose hairs fall out but after a couple of weeks I couldn't take it anymore. I don't mess with my eyebrows at all, I don't pick, pull, rub, or over pluck the hairs. I fear making my eyebrow hairs fall out so I leave them alone as much as possible. The only thing that I have learned from this is that IT DOES GET BETTER. In my case, it has always gotten better and during that time I have so much hope. I'm hoping that one day during the grow in/ slow drop out phase it will stay that way or that I'll figure out what I'm doing to cause this. Unfortunately for now I'll be living my roller coaster of emotions based on my eyebrow loss but I do believe that we can figure this out! It's not a lost cause because there is regrowth. Something is causing this and due to the regrowth I believe it is fixable! If you know anything please post!
  • There are many reasons that eyebrow hair fall out. Excessive plucking, rubbing eyebrows from habit, or vigorously applying eyebrow pencil can cause eyebrows to fall out. Eyebrow hair can thin with aging, just as scalp hair can.If you experience rapid loss of eyebrow hair, see your doctor to determine if an underlying medical condition or medication is causing the hair loss. If the cause is simply aging, gently applying eyebrow cosmetics can help. If the cause is telogen effluvium, Eyebrow Rogaine may be helpful in diminishing hair loss.
    beliteweight 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • A main cause of any kind of hair loss is too much estrogen in your system. It may be because of starting or stopping birth control, or otherwise taking birth control that has too high of an estrogen dosage. This is ESPECIALLY true with the birth control patches like Ortho Evra. You can also develop this if you are not taking birth control or are even male.It can also be because of vitamin or mineral imbalances. Iron deficiencies can cause hair loss. But too MUCH iron can also cause hair loss. Too much of certain vitamins, like A, can cause this too.My best advice is to have your doctor run a full vitamin/mineral panel on you and ask them to check your hormone levels as well. I have very thick hair and after starting a multivitamin, I quickly and temporarily lost almost half of my hair, including my very thick eyebrows and even body hair. It was too much Vitamin Iron and Vitamin A in my system. I've heard this can also happen over time.
  • This can be a symptom of low thyroid hormones.
  • Hello,The description of your symptoms is exactly what I am experiencing. I have tried everything and the anti-fungal shampoos and creams just make it worse and more hairs come out. The skin under the brow flakes off in chunks and the hairs come out with the chunk or soon after.Did you ever find a solution? I see this is old but I will try anything.Thank you!
    teapot 1 Replies
    • October 19, 2013
    • 02:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • OMG i have the exact same problem! Did you ever get anything to work?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 24, 2014
    • 02:07 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement