Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

Frequent Peeing at night

Posted In: Urinary conditions 57 Replies
  • Posted By: trigger18
  • January 4, 2007
  • 09:44 PM

Hi there, what is wrong with me......for the last 3 nights i have had extreme trouble sleeping due to the fact I need to keep getting up to pee. I will be lying in bed on the edge of sleep when I feel an urge to go to the loo, when i do go there is usually only a very small amount of urine expelled. Upon returning to bed the same thing happens maybe 7/8 times before exhaustion lets me fall asleep. There are no other symptoms involved with this which confuses me, and like I stated it started 3 nights ago. Please can someone help me shed some light on this annoying matter. :confused: As an afterthought this only happens at night, during the day my bladder is well behaved.

Reply Flag this Discussion

57 Replies:

• Exact Same Problem,heard It Might Be Nocturnal Polyuria(whatever That Means)still Reading Into It.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2007
    • 01:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had that problem for years....(i am 35)....sometimes i have nights worse than others...a few nights ago i got up to pee 3 times ....in 15 minutes...but i actually do go...i probaly go about 10-15 times a day:eek: i am not aloud to drink much when me and my husband go on car trips.:) ..I heard about a lack of an anti-diuretic hormone (pitutary gland i think) still researching it..yours sounds like it could be a infection too...anyone else have my problem?????
    Tenngal71 22 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 05:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • nocturnal polyuria means weeing a lot at night.these two problems,frequency and small amount,are the classical signs of enlarged prostate gland(presumably you are male).get it checked.most enlargements are benign.but if it is a cancer it will need urgent attention.this is such a well known sign for a very common problem.i sometimes wonder about the contributors to this forum;if it isnt herbs or crystal therapy,they are stumped!if you are female you could try reducing fluid intake and packing up coffee.it worked for me.but i think you must be a bloke with an enlarged prostate.good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 11:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the exact same problem but i'm a female.. i've looked all over the net and can't find anything that really fits my symptoms.. i went to my dr. and he said it's not a UTI.. so then what is it???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem, and whenever I attempt to ignore it, I am kept awake by the feeling that I am clenched up (holding it in). I feel that my problem may be more mental than physical, but now that I see there is someone else with the same symptoms, it could easily be either. I'm not sure if it matters, but I was a bed wetter untill 8 yrs old and I now have the shy bladder disorder.
  • I have the same problem as well. Most of the time I see that people have the frequent peeing, but not in small amounts. You are the first person I've seen that has the same symptoms as me. I am honestly begining to think that it's all in my head because on nights when I dont think about it, I go right to sleep, but on nights when I do think about it, it can be a terrible thing. I keep the feeling that I'm "holding it" no matter how many times I go to the bathroom. Also, I dont know if it matters but I was a bed-wetter untill age 8 and now I have the shy bladder disorder. (I think my shy bladder is caused by the amount of time it takes me to initiate reguardless of who is around)
  • I have the same thing Trigger mentioned: Getting up 7 or 8 times before I finally give in to exhaustion.Even worse, I'll get up, go just a tiny amount, walk away and get to my bed and turn around because I feel like I wasn't "finished." It's the most frustrating thing!It happens to my sister, too. Though I'm not sure if she has to turn around and go back like I do.I do take Lithium and saw frequent urination is a common side-effect, but in the daytime I'm fine.
  • I useto and sometimes do still have issues with urinating a lot at night. I am an overweight female. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea does not cause nocturia.. but when you stop breathing at night (apnea) in your sleep.. your brain kicks in and wakes you up.. you may only wake up for a split second or longer. Sometimes you may not even realize that you have been woken up or that you have stopped breathing. Usually your partner notices this habit. It is accompanied by very loud snoring. Sometimes when I wake up I think that I was woken up because I have to use the bathroom, but when I go, little comes out. I go back to bed. And it occurs not much long later again.If you can relate to anything I have said here.. and are overweight or anything.. research sleep apnea and speak with your PCP.Goodluck. I am now on a C-Pap machine after doing a sleep study.. when I use it.. I did not always use it at first.. takes time to get use to.. it helps you sleep all through the night.. so no more waking up to go to the bathroom! Except maybe once.. if that.. if you absolutely have to.. lol..
  • i have the exact same problem but i'm a female.. i've looked all over the net and can't find anything that really fits my symptoms.. i went to my dr. and he said it's not a UTI.. so then what is it???Hello,I too wake up 3 or sometimes 4x a night. I do drink lots of water during the day and 2 large glasses of Club Soda at dinner and after. When I use the bathroom I really have to go.My usual night is 2x what can we do?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2007
    • 01:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have needed to go to the toilet around 2 to 4 times every night for the past month now. I used to get this every now and then but now it is EVERY night. Ever since I first had sex (nearly two years ago) I have been suffering from severe UTIs, but this is definitely different and the doc assures me there is no infection. I also have trouble while having sex with the feeling of a full bladder that progessively gets worse until straight after I need to pee. This is starting to happen pretty frequently now as well. Any reasons as to why? I don't drink too much water as I know I should and I do suffer from pretty bad constipation resulting in bloody anal tears etc. Could this be related to the bladder at all?
    Nymphete 21 Replies
    • September 15, 2007
    • 07:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You're not alone in this. I too use to have the same problem, and my urologist didn't know what the underlying problem was. This may sound stupid, but after trying a lot of stuff that didn't help, I tried wearing a diaper at night. Obviously it didn't stop me from having to go a lot, but After a few weeks I stopped waking up at night & managed to get a few nights of good sleep.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2007
    • 01:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi there, what is wrong with me......for the last 3 nights i have had extreme trouble sleeping due to the fact I need to keep getting up to pee. I will be lying in bed on the edge of sleep when I feel an urge to go to the loo, when i do go there is usually only a very small amount of urine expelled. Upon returning to bed the same thing happens maybe 7/8 times before exhaustion lets me fall asleep. There are no other symptoms involved with this which confuses me, and like I stated it started 3 nights ago. Please can someone help me shed some light on this annoying matter. :confused: As an afterthought this only happens at night, during the day my bladder is well behaved.i go thouth it right now for the last 11 years none wants to help me i go to bed ley there 2 minn later i get up and iam so tired that i can not sleep at all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2007
    • 00:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello Trigger18...you need to look up a condition called nocturia...its when you get up at night to pee...i do it alot...i have found if i cut off my liquids about 2-3 hrs before i go to bed..it helps...but also its a symptom of a urinary tract infection....it is a very bothersome condition...if it is just nocturia...i would suggest cutting down on liquids before bed...especially coffee or tea...try that and see...if that does not work...you may have a infection....:eek: hope this helps...
    Tenngal71 22 Replies
    • October 30, 2007
    • 02:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same thing for about 6 months. It's really getting me down and i dread bedtime....my doctor says its in my head as i dont do it during the day. i'm up about 20 times before i fall asleep and i have to take nytols.I do have a lump that i must go to teh hospital about but this is insane....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2007
    • 03:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • HelloMy boyfriend gets up at leats twice a night to wee, but its not a drip thats comes out, its a full blown wee every time he says!Its really gettin him down, because, 1) he wakes me up every time he gets up to go to the loo, and 2) because he's so tired as well!!!!Its seriously pushing him over the edge............ and i'm worried about him!Also............He's been to doctors, they did blood tests, and tehy came back clear, so he went back to doctors today, and they said, nufin we can do for ya mate!He's so upset and i'm really worried!Please help?????Amy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2007
    • 09:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have to go the bathroom forty times a day and is way worse at night. so i know what your bf is going thru
    bigfred31 6 Replies
    • January 10, 2008
    • 05:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have same problem. i don't pee too often during day but at night, i tend to stay awake because i have urges to pee. and usually when i do, very little comes out. and during the night, i wake up about 3x to pee.i asked a doctor once and he thinks it might be because i started working out and eating a lot of protein. he said i could be overloading on protein. i'm male and trying to gain muscle mass. are any of you guys also been taking in a lot more protein than usual?i tend to sit and pee when i use my own toliet because i'm the one who has to clean it weekly. i'm male. it sounds stupid but do any of you guys sit and pee? i'm curious if it has anything to do with our problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2008
    • 06:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i cannot sleep at nights due to my medication "lexapro" tonight is my first night that i have gotten out of bed to go pee 8 times!!! and its not just a little its alot!! ive had two glasses of water today! thats it. and that ws around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and here it is at 2 in the morning!!! whats going on?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2008
    • 07:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There are lots of causes for nocturia (urinating at night) and polyuria (urinating frequently). First and foremost, if you drink excessive amounts of water this is completely normal. The most common cause is probably diabetes. You wouldn't know if you have diabetes, because most type II diabetics (those not born with it) don't feel ill. Other causes could be prostate problems (men 40+), and kidney disease. I'm not trying to cause alarm, but there are a series of simple urine and blood tests your physician can run to diagnose.-Med Student
  • I Drink A Good Amount Of Liquids Such A Hot Tea In The Am And I Have Lemonade And Water All Day. I Drink Till About 900 Pm, But I Get Up At Least 4x's A Night Or Even More One Night I Woke Up To Go To The Bathroom 8x's! The Amount Of Urine Is Alot. Even If I Stop My Liquids Early I Still Get Up To Go To The Bathroom. Just Wanted To See If Anyone Else Has This Problem.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement