Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

swollen armpit lymph node

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 4, 2007
  • 05:48 PM

can a common cold or flu cause one's lymph node to swell and become tender?

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Most commonly, no. If you have an infection of some type, like sinus, or bronchitis, maybe. Antibiotics will usually help with swollen glands. Also, a good sign is if it hurts. No pain is no good. If it continues and is painful, you may need to see a dr for a possible biopsy. Where I work, we saw a lady with "cat scratch fever" with these symptoms, that were chronic and became very painful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 05:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you for the reply. I had been clawed by my cat but he got me in the neck. would that cause the lymph nodes in my armpit to swell? I would welcome any and all responses.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 05:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • swollen lymph nodes in areas like the armpit are often signs of leukemia, if they have been there for more than a few weeks. And if that's true, you need a CBC done asap.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2007
    • 08:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My mom had a problem with her lymph nodes in her armpits after being scratched by a cat elsewhere. I would follow up on that if I were you. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2007
    • 05:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Absolutely a cat scratch can cause a swollen node in the armpit. It's called "cat scratch fever". Usually, it causes fever and feeling sick along with a painful, swollen lymph node in the armpit. BUT, it can be just a painless lump in the armpit, too. My 7 year old son developed just the painless lump and even though we had gotten a new stray kitten a couple of weeks earlier, docs decided it couldn't be cat scratch fever because no pain and no accompanying illness. They removed the node and after 2 agonizing days of waiting for pathology, guess what? Cat Scratch Fever!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 00:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to say that yes, a common virus can cause your lymph nodes to hurt and swell. They are filters and are just doing their job. But it is true if you have had swollen lymph nodes which last over a month, then you need to get yourself checked out. I have had tender lymph nodes for 2 weeks or more in the past and it was just my body processing an infection...didn't need antibiotics and I will not take them as they make me incredibly sick; if you have a viral infection no antibiotic is going to help... So, I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse and lingers longer than a month.Doctor of Oriental Medicine
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 02:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • "hello Acuann sir" i have been a lump in right arm pit.i have found it at first in 1992 in that region.That lump is still at that position at january 2007.the lump is not increasing or decreasing in size,and it is painless and very small.therefore i am very worried sir,pleasetell me what is this ?
    shivchandan 9 Replies
    • January 16, 2007
    • 06:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've got a question since I've been doing some reading online. Last week my right armpit started getting sore. Then my armpit began to swell. I went to my doctor and they prescribed me two antibiotics. That was Friday. As of this morning it has not gotten better at all and is extremely swollen and sore. I cannot even rest my arm by my side. I went back to my doc and they took some blood and made me an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday. I talked to his nurse and she said he'd probably only check it out. But it sounds like that having one removed is not so safe in the long run since lymph nodes help your body out.Should I put the surgery off as long as possible?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 09:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have heard that if you shave your armpits and it gets really close to your skin; it is like your lymph nodes are acting against any bacteria or germs that could be affecting your body. I knew a girl who used to get really swollen lymph nodes about the size of a tennis ball and the swelling would usually go away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 04:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Would it be possible to get one transplanted to my penis?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 07:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • "hello Acuann sir" i have been a lump in right arm pit.i have found it at first in 1992 in that region.That lump is still at that position at january 2007.the lump is not increasing or decreasing in size,and it is painless and very small.therefore i am very worried sir,pleasetell me what is this ? Lymph nodes fight infection all the time. Sometimes they swell up and can be painful. When they swell up this can cause scar tissue to form as they have been slightly damaged leaving a painless lymph node which you can feel. After having the lymph node for this long and if it has always been there ther's nothing to worry about
    cartwright 1 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 03:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement