Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Painful white bumps on tongue

Posted In: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions 148 Replies
  • Posted By: dkw711
  • January 4, 2007
  • 03:55 AM

I have had several recurrences of painful white bumps toward the back and on the sides of my tongue. I also had noticed before this recent episode what appeared to be thrush or a white coating on my tongue. I had drank several beers on New Year's Eve the night before this recent episode. I also had used a spicy cinnamon gum, which seemed to give me tingling and irritation to these areas of my tongue. Now although the thrush appears to have gone away, I have tiny white bumps that may actually be swollen taste buds, but they are so utterly painful. I can hardly eat they are so painful. Based on past episodes, this usually subsides in a matter of days. I have been doing salt-water rinses which only give temporary relief. I also feel malaise, which makes me wonder if this is a virus. I also wear a mouth guard and wonder if this has anything to do with it. A few months ago I went to get the bumps checked out. A swab was taken to test for Herpes, but the results were negative. Acidity in foods does seem to make it worse, but I feel burning anytime I eat something now. Any suggestions or others with the same?:cool:

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I have the same exact problem. The white bumps start out as little blisters (papillae are just red and blistery and swollen) and they turn white in a day or two. They usually last about a week and boy, do they hurt! I'm waiting to hear back from my dentist now about it. I only starting getting them a year ago, after I had my wisdom teeth out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 09:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i get this constantly also. Let me know what your doctor says please, whenever i go to a doctor they always attribute it to canker sores and I am not satisfied with their answer. Mine have been occurring more frequently lately and im not sure why.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 06:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Canker sores and mouth ulcers can be caused by a virus, or by a vitamin/nutritional deficiency, or by Candida. if you had thrush, then you have candida overload and need to do a cleanse to rid your body of the overgrowth. Threelac is brilliant for this. You can place a packet directly on the tongue and let it sit and dissolve before you swallow. It really helps. Google Threelac for more info - great stuff!! Another remedy is plain unsweetened yogurt placed on the tongue - this is also very soothing. Nutritional deficiencies to look into include iron, niacin, lysine, Pyridoxine (B6), Riboflavin, B12, and if bleeding gums, vit C. Hope this helps,DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 03:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get white bumps on the tip of my tongue if I have been eating too much sugar. For example, if I eat two hard candies in a row, white bumps will appear the next day? Why? I don't know but I have had this problem for years and I currently have one (4 cookies yesterday) so I am searching for an answer to like everyone else.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 07:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_24.gifSounds to me like you've struck on it, "yes" it probably is the sugar. Are you hypoglycemic?
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 09:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing happen to me when I eat foods that contain citric acid or vinegar. I can't have most fruits or thing like ketchup, mustard, etc. Try staying away from those and you'll see a big difference. Everyonce and awhile I'll get a huge craving for fruit and yogurt and then i usually regret it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 09:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i get the same problem too. I get them on the sides of my tounge when i eat too much acidy foods such as sour candies. I just stay away from them for a week and im better. Try staying away from anything sweet or acidy
    hypnotiq 3 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 08:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ya, I've seemed to link the white bumps on my tongue to too much of one of these: sugar, citric acid, or alcohol. And when I combine them all over a few days it makes it hard for the bumps to heal.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Just out of cuiosity; what's up with taking these things that are causing your problems? Maybe i'm just plain ole fashion stupid but I don't get it
    hogndog 426 Replies Flag this Response
  • I usually get the white taste buds 1-2 days after burning my tongue (after eating food that was too hot). Growing up, I was told that after you burn your tongue, some of your taste buds "die" and they turn white during the process. Is this true?
  • i have this too & im scared that its herpes but they've never appeared anywhere but the edges of my tongue, as herpes appears mostly on the lips. the doctor said it was canker sores (which i am prone to) but i really need a solution because im really freaked out.. its been about 8 months.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have had the same white, EXTREMELY painfull bumps all over my tongue before. It also occured the morning after drinking alcohol. They hurt so bad, even when I barely touched my tongue. I couldn't eat anything. I tried a few different things like oragel, but the thing that gave me the most relief was warm salt water. Also baking soda (a little) mixed with warm water. I rinsed my mouth out several times a day with the mixtures and the mysterious white bumps were gone within a few days.
  • Okay people. These things are called 'Acid Bumps' and are caused by weak amune systems or bad allergies to acidic consumables (That means stuff you eat with acid in it). I get them when I eat Tomatos, Pineapple, Oranges, Lemons, Limes...and any other number of fruit. Pretty much to stop them you just gotta find out what caused them and never consume that thing again.
  • my tongue and mouth started hurting today and now i have bumps towards the back and on the sides of my tongue and i also have a white coating on my tongue. my throats been sore and hurting the past few days and my tounsils are huge so i called my dad, whose a doctor, and he said that its most likely due to a bacterial infection that has spread from my throat to my mouth but hes not entirely sure because he cant look at it since im off at college....
  • http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/2uz71xy.gif Good morning, here is but one more piece to the puzzle. When i stumbled upon it the symptoms were simular, it even speaks to the pain associated with it.. http://www.stopyeast.com/white.html
  • I always heard they were called sugar bumps. I've had one or two for about a week now, its driving me crazy. Usually gargaling with hotsalt water helps, or mixing about a capful of peroxide and gargaling that helps. Dont drink it. Hope you find a solution. :)
  • :) I was wondering about that link i posted. You didn't make mention of it, did you have a chance to study all of the information? When i posted it, i thought surely someone will look it over. I'm not making posts for my benifit, it's for yours. :confused:
  • I have had several recurrences of painful white bumps toward the back and on the sides of my tongue. I also had noticed before this recent episode what appeared to be thrush or a white coating on my tongue. I had drank several beers on New Year's Eve the night before this recent episode. I also had used a spicy cinnamon gum, which seemed to give me tingling and irritation to these areas of my tongue. Now although the thrush appears to have gone away, I have tiny white bumps that may actually be swollen taste buds, but they are so utterly painful. I can hardly eat they are so painful. Based on past episodes, this usually subsides in a matter of days. I have been doing salt-water rinses which only give temporary relief. I also feel malaise, which makes me wonder if this is a virus. I also wear a mouth guard and wonder if this has anything to do with it. A few months ago I went to get the bumps checked out. A swab was taken to test for Herpes, but the results were negative. Acidity in foods does seem to make it worse, but I feel burning anytime I eat something now. Any suggestions or others with the same?:cool:I'm sure everyone in here is going to think i have lost my mindBut around 2001 I started haveing the same thing happen to me,the bumps would hurt like nobodys buisness,when i would eat something like peanut butter captian crunch,oh...my...goodness.But yet at the same time i had alot of other stomach issues going on.Everytime i would mention these bumps to a dr the first thing they would do is give me a aids test,(neg).Finally I wnt to a GI Dr and was diagnosed with chrones disease,ulcerictus colitus (not sure how to spell it) and acid reflux.after i started all the meds to treat the stomach problems thepainfull bumps went away.I never asked the Dr why but im assuming it had something to do with the acid from my stomach.So maybe this is something you should check into.GOOD LUCK because i do feel ypur painplease let me know what you find out.
    Belinda 8 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm sure everyone in here is going to think i have lost my mindBut around 2001 I started haveing the same thing happen to me,the bumps would hurt like nobodys buisness,when i would eat something like peanut butter captian crunch,oh...my...goodness.But yet at the same time i had alot of other stomach issues going on.Everytime i would mention these bumps to a dr the first thing they would do is give me a aids test,(neg).Finally I wnt to a GI Dr and was diagnosed with chrones disease,ulcerictus colitus (not sure how to spell it) and acid reflux.after i started all the meds to treat the stomach problems thepainfull bumps went away.I never asked the Dr why but im assuming it had something to do with the acid from my stomach.So maybe this is something you should check into.GOOD LUCK because i do feel ypur painplease let me lnow what you find out.
    Belinda 8 Replies Flag this Response
  • http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/av-willywonka5050.gif You haven't lost your mind, it's called the threshold of pain. You have reached that threshold. Some people have a high pain tolerence, you have a low one. I can only guess, but it may be due to your nerves. I don't want to sound repetitious, but have you studied that link i posted? Because it will supply you with the answers you seek. Sure, i could spend hours searching for more information, but what good would it do if you aren't going to study it. Here's the deal, the next post to this subject, if you answer in the affirmative, then i will continue to search. Do you agree to these terms? if you do post back and let me know. Thank you :D
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement