Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

odd sour/bitter taste in mouth, terrible neck/shoulder pain, "out-of-it" feeling

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 32 Replies
  • Posted By: whitecranberries
  • November 29, 2009
  • 04:16 AM

Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now.

First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!

Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.

Current symptoms:::::

Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.

Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.

Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.

Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre!

Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.

One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.

General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.

Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.

I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.

I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan.

My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."

I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...

Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!

Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

32 Replies:

• I noticed no one replied to this thread, so I hope by some means you search for it again and see this reply. Anyway, please don't despair -- what you're going through is common and there is a solution, but it lies in your diet and emotions. You are probably experiencing candida and a sluggish liver. Just google Candida and/or sluggish liver and you will find a ton of information. I also behoove you to go to mercola.com and research everything you can about health and healing. Repressed emotions are stored in the cells and frequently contribute to liver congestion. Often times trauma from childhood (it doesn't have to be severe trauma, just stuff that might have happened when you were young) is stored in the body and anger is held in the liver. Also, the gallbladder and gallstones frequently manifest in right side shoulder pain. This metallic taste in your mouth is strongly suggestive of gallbladder/liver congestion. There is a strong connection between panic disorder and candida. You will need to cut out a lot of sugar and grains, focus on restoring your insulin levels and exercise a lot more. Destress. Seeing a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner, acupuncturist or holistic physician will do you a world of good. Your intuition is waking you up to the imbalance in your body. Be thankful for it. Best of luck. Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now. First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.Current symptoms:::::Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre! Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'-----------------------------------------------------------------I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan. My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2009
    • 11:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have very similar symptoms, Vertigo, shimmering head, metalic taste, tender neck, IBS, enlarged lymph nodes, head aches, blurred/disturbed vision, noise intolerance. I have also developed a vibration intolerance which is a real problem during car travel. I have also failed to get a diagnosis after extensive tests. Various blood tests (including Lyme disease some time ago) MRI, Caloric test. Nerve conduction study.I have been thinking that my problems may stem from a whiplash injury I sustained 15 years ago. Possibly due to a damaged alar ligament though this is just a guess. My symptoms seem to be aggravated by exercise/head movement. I saw a chiropractor who did some deep tissue massage at the top of my neck and that seemed to make things worse. However I could be completely wrong.Other things that may be relevant. I picked up a rash about 14 years ago which spread and was never diagnosed. I consisted of small and very itchy blisters. These eventually went after several years but still ocasionally reoccur.I was given Trimethroprim three years ago for cistitus and had a very bad reaction to it. Headache, sickness, diarrhoea, and my neck cracked and released lots and seemed to cause vertigo. My symptoms have gradually got worse over the last 3 years and become more continuous.I very much hope you find a solution to this as its really horrid. You have my sympathy. If you do have any success please please let me know. At the moment I dont know where to turn next.Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now. First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.Current symptoms:::::Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre! Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'-----------------------------------------------------------------I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan. My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2010
    • 03:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the input, guys.As for your insight Justine, I agree that there are some similarities with gallbladder symptoms... the back and shoulder pain. It is something I intend to look into... However, gallbladder attacks don't usually cause neurological symptoms such as visual disturbance and phantom tastes. My insulin is always in normal range when I check it-- after fasting and after eating.I did try chiropractic/acupuncture/traditional chinese herbalist (this guy was all three) three times. It was pricey and relieved symptoms for about two days each time. I don't intend to go back until I exhaust other possibilities.I don't really buy into the systemic candidiasis idea, as I could only find opinion articles on it, no scientific evidence of it. Acupuncture has had positive results in clinical trials, so I do think that may help in certain situations.. but, i dont think it's the go-to choice with my symptoms.Blueshoes-Thank you for your empathy and concern.. I'm sorry you have these annoying, similar symptoms. What do you mean by shimmering head, though? that sounds odd. Has anything helped you out with your symptoms?I plan to see a neurologist in the next couple of weeks and will push to get a CT scan of my brain/spinal cord... looking for something like MS.. I'm obviously hoping it's not MS...Anyhow, it sounds like maybe the trimethroprim messed with you somewhat. I know a lot of antibiotics can cause ear nerve damage. I have thought before that perhaps my symptoms are all vestibular related, as I went scuba diving about 1 month prior to onset of symptoms and was unable to equalize pressure. So, perhaps that could be something for you to look into?Do you have poor sinuses? I do, so I've wondered if that's related to the visual stuff before.Thanks again for your guys' posts-- I want to hear from others who may have insight or similar stories...Oh and also I have a new symptoms to add:strange circulation issues- my limbs feel like they fall asleep a lot faster than they previously did. My left foot in particular feels tingly quite a bit. I also feel my pulse in my hands and back when resting... this doesn't seem to have any relation to anxiety, as I feel it when I'm super relaxed and content.Thanks!
    whitecranberries 3 Replies
    • February 2, 2010
    • 04:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with the first response. I often get that when both of these conditions are present: 1) Under a lot of stress and 2) haven't eaten in a while. I like to think it could be out of poor overall diet - that the saliva in my mouth is overproducing with nothing there.. the other symptoms, particularly the nerves and vision are all stress related. This doesn't come on from short-term stress, but usually a build-up of a lot of stress triggered by a shorter period of high-stress. Pressure point massage and/or accupuncture would be a perfect aide in easing the symptoms/relieving some of the stress.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2010
    • 07:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Not sure what the cause is, but I do know what will probably help you to suffer less from the symptoms. I have used EFT for myself, and over the past 2 years for others too, and it has a 85% success rate - the manual comes for free It helps normally within the first session, it's based on acupuncture but without needles and you can do it yourself.I would be pleased if you keep us posted on how you manage, and if I can help you to get started, please drop me a line!Charlotte
    charkamman 2 Replies
    • February 2, 2010
    • 10:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • WhitecranberriesThe shimmering is hard to describe its a sort of low grade tingle or very slight quivering sensation. I also sometimes get a feeling of pressure behind my nose and tinitus which I forgot to mention. Once they start the some of the symptoms last for at least a couple of days. My Caloric vestibular test response was very strong but even on both sides and therefore considered to be normal. I have seen a neurologist and he seems stumped but has prescribed propranolol for migraine as he thinks some of the symptoms come into that categorie. I didnt think it had helped but when I tried to reduce the dose I got burning round the back of my neck and a really bad headache. I do suffer from rhinitis but no real sinus problems. I think this is a dust mite allergy which I have pretty much under control. I was under the impression that MS would have been picked up on the MRI which was on my head, ears and neck. There are no leisions visible.My symptoms are helped by using an ice pack on the back of my neck. Also by self massage of my neck. They are agrivated by looking down for any length of time or by having my head in an unsuported posture ie not directly over my neck, like when on all fours if that makes sense. Have you ever had a whiplash type injury or fall or a bang on the head, or a car shunt.?? My whiplash was caused by a skiing accident. I was basically unaware of the injury until afterwards. I am, or was, also very fit and active.I think the neck pain is significant if you read up on upper cervical instability or Atlantoocipital instability you will see similar symptoms mentioned, caused by irritation of the nerves in that area of the neck. You clearly have good understanding of medical issues which must be a major advantage. I really believe that for me some sort of ligament laxity is at the bottom of this but whether its cause is injury or infection I dont know and I dont know how I can find out.The problem is that the more tests that come back negative the more people begin to think that you are nuts. Especially as there are no visible symptoms. I guess it must be making your studies really hard and people will then think its stress. With me they are tending to blame the menapause but Im not at all convinced. You have to hang in there and keep searching. There is an answer out there somewhere. Thanks for the input, guys.As for your insight Justine, I agree that there are some similarities with gallbladder symptoms... the back and shoulder pain. It is something I intend to look into... However, gallbladder attacks don't usually cause neurological symptoms such as visual disturbance and phantom tastes. My insulin is always in normal range when I check it-- after fasting and after eating.I did try chiropractic/acupuncture/traditional chinese herbalist (this guy was all three) three times. It was pricey and relieved symptoms for about two days each time. I don't intend to go back until I exhaust other possibilities.I don't really buy into the systemic candidiasis idea, as I could only find opinion articles on it, no scientific evidence of it. Acupuncture has had positive results in clinical trials, so I do think that may help in certain situations.. but, i dont think it's the go-to choice with my symptoms.Blueshoes-Thank you for your empathy and concern.. I'm sorry you have these annoying, similar symptoms. What do you mean by shimmering head, though? that sounds odd. Has anything helped you out with your symptoms?I plan to see a neurologist in the next couple of weeks and will push to get a CT scan of my brain/spinal cord... looking for something like MS.. I'm obviously hoping it's not MS...Anyhow, it sounds like maybe the trimethroprim messed with you somewhat. I know a lot of antibiotics can cause ear nerve damage. I have thought before that perhaps my symptoms are all vestibular related, as I went scuba diving about 1 month prior to onset of symptoms and was unable to equalize pressure. So, perhaps that could be something for you to look into?Do you have poor sinuses? I do, so I've wondered if that's related to the visual stuff before.Thanks again for your guys' posts-- I want to hear from others who may have insight or similar stories...Oh and also I have a new symptoms to add:strange circulation issues- my limbs feel like they fall asleep a lot faster than they previously did. My left foot in particular feels tingly quite a bit. I also feel my pulse in my hands and back when resting... this doesn't seem to have any relation to anxiety, as I feel it when I'm super relaxed and content.Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2010
    • 11:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I think I now know exactly what you mean by "shimmering".. because, I have a "shimmering" back sensation that I can not seem to describe! But it is a slight tingly sensation throughout my back that I really only notice if I'm sitting down and putting pressure on my back.I guess in your case the whiplash really is significant. Have you looked into Thoracic Outlet Syndrome too? I read some about that and has some matching symptoms. I don't have any history of trauma to my spinal cord that i can think of! The only trauma I've experienced is inner ear from the bad scuba diving experience, as I could barely hear for two days following.It definitely sounds like you're cleared of MS- I just want to get an MRI or CT scan just to check my brain out to make sure I don't have it.. even though I'm 99% sure it's not MS. I just looked up Caloric Vestibular Test, and now it's something I'm interested in checking into for myself. I know that vertigo and dizziness can cause visual disturbance... and probably inflammation could cause referred and radiating pain in my neck and shoulders.. hmm.But yeah, I am actually seeing a neurologist tomorrow and will hopefully get some feedback, and i hope an appointment for either an mri or ct scan. Then, I can start scratching off the possible BAD things off the list. If the neurologist, ENT physician, and gastroenterologist all give me the clear, then I will possibly accept that it is some strange stress-induced phenomena that just one day appeared.. despite being quite unstressed, happy, and healthy!It is extremely frustrating when physicians in particular want to immediately assume it's psychological rather than physiological. I realize the brain is super powerful and CAN do these things. But, I really feel like in my case this isn't the issue. Thanks for sharing ideas as to how to relieve the symptoms-- I havent tried ice on my neck, only heating pads which does help me!!! Good luck with your symptoms... hope you find some answers!!!WhitecranberriesThe shimmering is hard to describe its a sort of low grade tingle or very slight quivering sensation. I also sometimes get a feeling of pressure behind my nose and tinitus which I forgot to mention. Once they start the some of the symptoms last for at least a couple of days. My Caloric vestibular test response was very strong but even on both sides and therefore considered to be normal. I have seen a neurologist and he seems stumped but has prescribed propranolol for migraine as he thinks some of the symptoms come into that categorie. I didnt think it had helped but when I tried to reduce the dose I got burning round the back of my neck and a really bad headache. I do suffer from rhinitis but no real sinus problems. I think this is a dust mite allergy which I have pretty much under control. I was under the impression that MS would have been picked up on the MRI which was on my head, ears and neck. There are no leisions visible.My symptoms are helped by using an ice pack on the back of my neck. Also by self massage of my neck. They are agrivated by looking down for any length of time or by having my head in an unsuported posture ie not directly over my neck, like when on all fours if that makes sense. Have you ever had a whiplash type injury or fall or a bang on the head, or a car shunt.?? My whiplash was caused by a skiing accident. I was basically unaware of the injury until afterwards. I am, or was, also very fit and active.I think the neck pain is significant if you read up on upper cervical instability or Atlantoocipital instability you will see similar symptoms mentioned, caused by irritation of the nerves in that area of the neck. You clearly have good understanding of medical issues which must be a major advantage. I really believe that for me some sort of ligament laxity is at the bottom of this but whether its cause is injury or infection I dont know and I dont know how I can find out.The problem is that the more tests that come back negative the more people begin to think that you are nuts. Especially as there are no visible symptoms. I guess it must be making your studies really hard and people will then think its stress. With me they are tending to blame the menapause but Im not at all convinced. You have to hang in there and keep searching. There is an answer out there somewhere.
    • February 3, 2010
    • 01:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Blueshoes,I think I now know exactly what you mean by "shimmering".. because, I have a "shimmering" back sensation that I can not seem to describe! But it is a slight tingly sensation throughout my back that I really only notice if I'm sitting down and putting pressure on my back.I guess in your case the whiplash really is significant. Have you looked into Thoracic Outlet Syndrome too? I read some about that and has some matching symptoms. I don't have any history of trauma to my spinal cord that i can think of! The only trauma I've experienced is inner ear from the bad scuba diving experience, as I could barely hear for two days following.It definitely sounds like you're cleared of MS- I just want to get an MRI or CT scan just to check my brain out to make sure I don't have it.. even though I'm 99% sure it's not MS. I just looked up Caloric Vestibular Test, and now it's something I'm interested in checking into for myself. I know that vertigo and dizziness can cause visual disturbance... and probably inflammation could cause referred and radiating pain in my neck and shoulders.. hmm.But yeah, I am actually seeing a neurologist tomorrow and will hopefully get some feedback, and i hope an appointment for either an mri or ct scan. Then, I can start scratching off the possible BAD things off the list. If the neurologist, ENT physician, and gastroenterologist all give me the clear, then I will possibly accept that it is some strange stress-induced phenomena that just one day appeared.. despite being quite unstressed, happy, and healthy!It is extremely frustrating when physicians in particular want to immediately assume it's psychological rather than physiological. I realize the brain is super powerful and CAN do these things. But, I really feel like in my case this isn't the issue. Thanks for sharing ideas as to how to relieve the symptoms-- I havent tried ice on my neck, only heating pads which does help me!!! Good luck with your symptoms... hope you find some answers!!!And as for the other responses-- I'll take a look into EFP, but again, it's something I want to check out only if all tests come back negative.As for the stress idea, I think it is true that these can all be symptoms of stress... but more likely ACUTE stress.. and I have not experienced anything different in my life the last 5 or 6 months different from normal except my symptoms. I also have always eaten a very healthy diet... except sometimes I eat Lean Cuisines or Hot Pockets when I am rushed... My body doesn't seem to handle carbs as well as it should, and I really should be better about not having too many. But, eating too many carbs shouldnt cause my symptoms unless I have some underlying GI problem that's causing poor nutrient absorption. I have thought of Celiac Disease or something like that as being a possible culprit, which is why a gastroenterologist will be a specialist I intend to see if my neuro status is all a-ok.Whew, long post. Thanks for the replies!! I'll post what the neurologist says tomorrow.WhitecranberriesThe shimmering is hard to describe its a sort of low grade tingle or very slight quivering sensation. I also sometimes get a feeling of pressure behind my nose and tinitus which I forgot to mention. Once they start the some of the symptoms last for at least a couple of days. My Caloric vestibular test response was very strong but even on both sides and therefore considered to be normal. I have seen a neurologist and he seems stumped but has prescribed propranolol for migraine as he thinks some of the symptoms come into that categorie. I didnt think it had helped but when I tried to reduce the dose I got burning round the back of my neck and a really bad headache. I do suffer from rhinitis but no real sinus problems. I think this is a dust mite allergy which I have pretty much under control. I was under the impression that MS would have been picked up on the MRI which was on my head, ears and neck. There are no leisions visible.My symptoms are helped by using an ice pack on the back of my neck. Also by self massage of my neck. They are agrivated by looking down for any length of time or by having my head in an unsuported posture ie not directly over my neck, like when on all fours if that makes sense. Have you ever had a whiplash type injury or fall or a bang on the head, or a car shunt.?? My whiplash was caused by a skiing accident. I was basically unaware of the injury until afterwards. I am, or was, also very fit and active.I think the neck pain is significant if you read up on upper cervical instability or Atlantoocipital instability you will see similar symptoms mentioned, caused by irritation of the nerves in that area of the neck. You clearly have good understanding of medical issues which must be a major advantage. I really believe that for me some sort of ligament laxity is at the bottom of this but whether its cause is injury or infection I dont know and I dont know how I can find out.The problem is that the more tests that come back negative the more people begin to think that you are nuts. Especially as there are no visible symptoms. I guess it must be making your studies really hard and people will then think its stress. With me they are tending to blame the menapause but Im not at all convinced. You have to hang in there and keep searching. There is an answer out there somewhere.
    • February 3, 2010
    • 01:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi WhitecranberriesJust a quick update. I had a comprehensive stool analysis done and it picked up the parasite Blastosystis Hominis. Have started treatment a week ago and would say cautiously that I am feeling better. I can give you more details if you are interested.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. I was doing a search of some of my symptoms and ran across this. I have the same symptoms! Did it end up being the parasite??Hi WhitecranberriesJust a quick update. I had a comprehensive stool analysis done and it picked up the parasite Blastosystis Hominis. Have started treatment a week ago and would say cautiously that I am feeling better. I can give you more details if you are interested.
  • Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now. First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.Current symptoms:::::Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre! Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'-----------------------------------------------------------------I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan. My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!Thanks!gET CHECKED FOR LYME DISEASE
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2010
    • 11:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• hi,Has anyone got any further in discovering a diagnosis to this? I was astonished when I read this post. I was looking for a solution to a sour like taste in my mouth, that I have been getting for a while. Then I read your symptoms. Which are identical to mine, apart from the noise sensitivity and I get tinitus quite often. I have had these problems for a few years now and have only been to the doctors because of my neck, back and shoulder problems and the lumps below my ears. All of which were to no avail. Just a bit of physio for the back etc and dont worry about the lumps. I never thought that all these problems could be connected.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2010
    • 11:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now. First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.Current symptoms:::::Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre! Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'-----------------------------------------------------------------I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan. My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!Thanks!I believe that you have Fibromyalgia. I had similar symptoms back in the late 1980's, before it was even an illness. It was brought on by lack of deep sleep from birth of my daughter who did not sleep through the night until she was over 2 years old. I suffered so much from many different symptoms. I had MRI to rule out MS and any other brain typediseases. I also had transient numb feeling on face. My sed rate was 40. And my age was35. I also had interstitial cystitis. Good luck and God Bless.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2010
    • 06:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now. First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.Current symptoms:::::Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre! Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'-----------------------------------------------------------------I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan. My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!Thanks!I read your posting and I am a 57 year old female with many of your symptoms. I have been misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc. After thousands of dollars of testing and an endoscopy, it was determined that I have something called brachial plexitis-rare nerve disorder that was possibly caused by a virus. Along with this, because of the pain, I developed ulcers. After my second endoscopy and medication I was fine for a bit and then I too got this sour taste in my mouth and the medications for acid reflux (which the endoscopy ruled out) are not helping. Having such intense pain causes anxiety, which only worsens without help. I then developed depression (a first for me) and tried to do it without drugs but I was crying uncontrollably all the time. My diagnosis was finally made by a very well known neurologist. Unfortunately, nerves regenerate very slowly and this bp is neck pain, bp pain (shoulder and down the arm). I have spent several thousand dollars on alternative things such as acupuncture, myofascial release work, electroenergenic work, mindful meditation, psychotherapy, etc. I've been told that I should expect 8-10 years before my nerves regenerate, if they do indeed completely regenerate. The pain sometimes subsides and I feel there is hope and then it returns with a vengeance. At times I take muscle relaxants and when it is unbearable hydrocodone. I try to limit that as all of that medication doesn't help the stomach either. Good luck in determining what is wrong. It took over a year for them to figure it out and by then there was no way to halt the damage. Check out brachial plexitis and see if the descriptions fit your specific symptoms. I feel for you. I isn't fun to live this way. As for the vision issues, they came with this also and at first I was so sensitive to noise, my dog had to leave for 3 months and stay with a relative. I was nauseated by smells and coffee/popcorn would make me throw up. Light was also a problem. I hope you don't have this as there really isn't much one can do but wait and try to make the symptoms a bit less severe. I hope this helped a bit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2010
    • 03:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Blueshoes,I think I now know exactly what you mean by "shimmering".. because, I have a "shimmering" back sensation that I can not seem to describe! But it is a slight tingly sensation throughout my back that I really only notice if I'm sitting down and putting pressure on my back.I guess in your case the whiplash really is significant. Have you looked into Thoracic Outlet Syndrome too? I read some about that and has some matching symptoms. I don't have any history of trauma to my spinal cord that i can think of! The only trauma I've experienced is inner ear from the bad scuba diving experience, as I could barely hear for two days following.It definitely sounds like you're cleared of MS- I just want to get an MRI or CT scan just to check my brain out to make sure I don't have it.. even though I'm 99% sure it's not MS. I just looked up Caloric Vestibular Test, and now it's something I'm interested in checking into for myself. I know that vertigo and dizziness can cause visual disturbance... and probably inflammation could cause referred and radiating pain in my neck and shoulders.. hmm.But yeah, I am actually seeing a neurologist tomorrow and will hopefully get some feedback, and i hope an appointment for either an mri or ct scan. Then, I can start scratching off the possible BAD things off the list. If the neurologist, ENT physician, and gastroenterologist all give me the clear, then I will possibly accept that it is some strange stress-induced phenomena that just one day appeared.. despite being quite unstressed, happy, and healthy!It is extremely frustrating when physicians in particular want to immediately assume it's psychological rather than physiological. I realize the brain is super powerful and CAN do these things. But, I really feel like in my case this isn't the issue. Thanks for sharing ideas as to how to relieve the symptoms-- I havent tried ice on my neck, only heating pads which does help me!!! Good luck with your symptoms... hope you find some answers!!!And as for the other responses-- I'll take a look into EFP, but again, it's something I want to check out only if all tests come back negative.As for the stress idea, I think it is true that these can all be symptoms of stress... but more likely ACUTE stress.. and I have not experienced anything different in my life the last 5 or 6 months different from normal except my symptoms. I also have always eaten a very healthy diet... except sometimes I eat Lean Cuisines or Hot Pockets when I am rushed... My body doesn't seem to handle carbs as well as it should, and I really should be better about not having too many. But, eating too many carbs shouldnt cause my symptoms unless I have some underlying GI problem that's causing poor nutrient absorption. I have thought of Celiac Disease or something like that as being a possible culprit, which is why a gastroenterologist will be a specialist I intend to see if my neuro status is all a-ok.Whew, long post. Thanks for the replies!! I'll post what the neurologist says tomorrow.Sounds EXACTLY like Lyme Disease.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2011
    • 08:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 27 year old woman, and I had all the symptoms you describe. I went to tons of specialists and took me a while to find a solution. For me it was caused by a combination of anxiety, a muscle spasm in my neck/shoulder, and an allergy to milk. My neurological symptoms disappear when I do not drink any kind of milk products. My shoulder and neck pain were relieved by physical therapy. As for the anxiety, counselling helped a lot.I discovered my problem with milk incidentally when my GI told me to avoid milk due to digestion issues. Quitting milk also cured my acid reflux/gastritis, which I had experienced for 5 years.
  • Hi,I'm just wondering if either of you found better resolution to this?Blue Shoes, did treating the parasite clear things up, or are there still unresolved issues? It sounds to me like both of you are having migraines.They can cause all kinds of sensory disturbance, and can be spurred/aggravated by neck, spine or shoulder issues and/or sinus issues (not to mention processed foods). Even though one migraine treatment was not very effective (and maybe just gave a rebound effect), there are other ways to approach migraines. Problem is, it's hard to tell the chicken or the egg. Did the migraine cause the slew of symptoms (and why do you get migraines), or did an underlying issue lead to migraine?Best case scenario is just a simple migraine issue (with the slew of effects - not necessarily excruciating 'head pain'), which can be approached preventatively after some trial and error, and finding the right treatment. That's just my opinion of course, but I've spent my life with doctors and tests and research, as my Crohn's & Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnoses didn't come easy (and come with a past full of annoying, but less serious other things like eczema, sinus and bronchial infections, tinnitus, ulcers, eye infections, kidney infections, liver inflammation, etc, etc, etc). The scan of my head simply said I had 'abnormal anatomy' with a large carotid artery just thinly separated from my ear drum, (which has been damaged), and that 'likely' contributes to my tinnitus/migraines.Anyway, love to get an update - and curious about the parasite thing! Hope you're well!
  • Hi WhitecranberriesJust a quick update. I had a comprehensive stool analysis done and it picked up the parasite Blastosystis Hominis. Have started treatment a week ago and would say cautiously that I am feeling better. I can give you more details if you are interested.I have all of the symptoms: radiating neck pain which can cause pain around the eye sockets and pressure on top of head, terrible taste in mouth, feeling unable to formulate thoughts, and slightly upset stomach. Can you tell me what tests you had?
  • I have a very bad taste inthe back of my mouth.Im spiting up averyfoul smelling spit. I cant swallow this as it makes me very sick.I spit into a glass and rinse my mouth with mouth with water and spit it in that glass and I can see a gray snake like substance floating in there and it smells very bad.It comes back ever 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now. First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.Current symptoms:::::Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre! Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'-----------------------------------------------------------------I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan. My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!Thanks!Hi Whitecranberries,This is a rather old thread but your story interested me as you have exact symptoms that I have myself. I am wondering if you managed to solve the problem. I would be interested in feedback - and we could swap notes.rongaunt
    rongaunt 2 Replies
    • August 17, 2011
    • 08:35 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement