Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

odd sour/bitter taste in mouth, terrible neck/shoulder pain, "out-of-it" feeling

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 10 Replies
  • Posted By: whitecranberries
  • November 29, 2009
  • 04:16 AM

Hello, everybody- this is my first post, but I frequent this website and webmd more often than I wish I had to. Unfortunately, I have been having just very unpleasant symptoms that have lasted over 2 months now.

First off: I am 25 years old, female. I have always been very active- this past summer I was running 3-4 miles 3 times a week. My bmi is 21 (not underweight or overweight). I am a nursing student, about to graduate and work as an RN, and what I am experiencing is nowhere to be found in my med-surg books! My father-in-law is a family practitioner and he is stumped. So, I will now ask for any input here on the internet, where all knowledge and experience and advice is free and welcome!

Also, some more history: I have had some IBS-type problems for 4 years; no diagnosis but MRI was negative and the symptoms come and go and have become easier for me to manage. Around the time I began experiencing the IBS symptoms, I had some major panic attacks. However, these have been well-managed for 3 years now. I also have slight asthma.

Current symptoms:::::

Neck pain- the very top of the back of the neck, where it meets my skull. The pain feels like sensitive tendons, and there are "pressure points" where it just feels extremely tender. The pain radiates up under my skull and below my right ear.

Sour/bitter taste- intermittent. it sneaks up on me, and I begin to taste it slightly, and then becomes very strong. I taste it on my mucosa, particularly in between my gums and cheeks. It is worse on the right side. I can taste it when my nose is pinched shut. It does not change the taste of food or drink. It goes away after about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. It seems to have similar attributes to burning mouth syndrome, but it's not burning. just an odd taste.

Shoulder pain- seems to happen in relation to the sour taste. the pain starts usually above my clavicles and then radiates to the shoulder joint and goes down my arms a bit. The pain goes away in a similar fashion to the sour taste. Then my arms feel slightly weak for another hour, like I have difficulty lifting my arms up above my head. I can do it, they just feel weaker.

Noise sensitivity- I am now very sensitive to "sharp' noises. at night in particular. My husband pulls a fork out of the drawer while I'm in the living room and it makes me have a 'jolt' or a "buzz" feeling in my head. It is so bizarre!

Vision changes/disturbance- I have "tracers" behind lights and a slight halo around lights at night. I sometimes feel like there's a slight haze in the room. kind of like if somebody lit an incense in another room and the smoke moved into the other room... hah. I have always had the clear stringy floaters.

One swollen lymph node/salivary gland-- I have a painless, fixed node behind my left earlobe. It is very small. probably not even 2 cm in diameter. it popped up 4 weeks ago and does shrink a bit every few days. i suppose this may be related to the sour taste.

General strange feeling- I feel light headed, woozy, dizzy, and just icky feeling about once or twice a day. Sometimes I feel so extremely sleepy, and I just absolutely have to sleep. even if i'm in class. I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.

Anxiety-- I have had feelings of anxiety (although not really panic attacks) come and go with these symptoms as well, but I truly feel that the anxiety is because of these strange, vague symptoms. I feel afraid that it's something serious or that if it isn't, I will be stuck feeling these symptoms for the rest of my life. I don't feel that the anxiety is bringing on these symptoms, as I experienced the symptoms first. Also, I often have no anxiety when experiencing the "attacks.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen my general practitioner twice now. He gave me a z-pack the first time, thinking maybe it was some slight infection in my neck causing the pain. i also was prescribed a butalbital-tylenol-caffeine medication (Fioricet) for possible migraines. It didn't do anything to help. Second time, he gave my cipro particularly for the small node, which I am about to finish up.

I have had blood tests-- CBC, sed rate, thyroid, liver, and kidney. My sed rate is 14, which is a bit high for a 25 year-old but still not exactly out-of-range. My thyroid, liver, and kidney levels are excellent. I actually did not receive word on my CBC, as my letter didn't include those values.. I just realized. I guess I assumed since it didn't tell me anything about abnormal results, I assumed they were fine. But, I think I will call tomorrow to ask about the CBC.

I am going to see my Dr. in a little less than 2 weeks to get re-evaluated, and then he's going to set me up with a ct scan.

My fear is that my symptoms are related to something ( ie a tumor) pressing up against nerves... specifically a cranial nerve and brachial nerve. I guess I could also just have some kind of strained neck injury... It's just so strange that these things happen kind of as a cluster, and I feel quite bad, but then it resolves and I feel about 95% until the next "attack."

I guess I will find out in a few weeks if anything shows up on a ct. If not, I guess fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome is something to think about... or Lyme Disease...

Anyone have any similar experiences??? or know of what could be causing my mystery illness? I hate it so much and wish it would go away!!

Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping you can help me out because I am experiencing the same things. Right shoulder pain, pain on the right side of my neck/skull area, bitter taste almost like gasoline fumes. Please I need help to get rid of this. apigman1308@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 2, 2014
    • 05:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My suggestion is you may have Fibromyalgia, as this is a complicated, multi symptomatic illness, which varies in severity and frequency of remission periods, and as the illness progresses with time, remission lessens to zero and fatigue/ malaize/ numbness/ neural problems increase, including Phantom symptoms such as "Ants" under the skin, severe ear ache, phantom tooth ache, blocked saliva gland problems with associated dry mouth/ throat, muscle and joint weakness/swelling,blurred vision :)
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 4, 2014
    • 10:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same, with other symptoms as well. Turned out to be Lyme Disease
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 4, 2014
    • 04:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you find out what it was?
    Friend 1 Replies
    • October 4, 2014
    • 05:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just found this thread and I am experiencing the same symptoms.
    I had this for about a year now. I have a metallic, slight burning feeling, sour taste on the bottom left of my mouth. It almost feels like it's radiating out of the side of my tongue when it touches the inside of my teeth.
    I have neck pain that radiates up into my skull, A swollen gland or nodule in the left side of my neck and a small nodule behind my left ear too.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 10, 2014
    • 11:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi last week, my ear and head on the left together with the throat hurts when I swallow with lymph nodes. I went to the GP and told me it was acute pharyngitis. Doc gave me like painkiller and gargle for a week. Now its been 5 days, throat ache and lymph nodes gone but ear ache and the back of my head aches. Now even I taste something foul like an old fish everytime I swallow. I don't if its because of the meds Im taking.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 14, 2014
    • 01:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had pretty well all the same symptoms and have now been diagnosed with cervical cancer. Pap was fine at first but then after awhile pap started coming back abnormal. Colposcopies all came back normal but finally had a cone biopsy and found cancer. Had all symptoms over past 4 years, IBS, dizzy, extreme fatigue, you name it I had it but it wasn't until I had abnormal bleeding while running that they suspected cervical cancer. Get yourself checked a lot till they find it.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 14, 2014
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Anyone who suggested it's Fibro is wrong. Many of my doctors have said, fibromyalgia is NOT a diagnosis, its a symptom. I do not believe Fibro is an answer to anyone's unexplained symptoms. It's a made up 'diagnosis' to doctors who don't think outside the box. For doctors who actually care, their motto is, 'if you hear hoof beats in the distance, don't automatically think horses. It could be zebras', meaning most doctors do NOT look into the possibility of a lesser known diagnosis
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 30, 2014
    • 04:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms and have been told I have Fibro. I have had about 3 flareups over the last 8 years so I feel pretty lucky. Right now my chest and esophagus will tighten up and it feels like you are going to choke, pain in my neck and back of head, strong metallic taste in my mouth with some burning. I'm not on medicine for Fibro but maybe I should. I am taking Prevacid b/c I thought maybe it was reflux but reading all the comments above maybe it's not.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 2, 2014
    • 03:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have similar symptoms bad taste in my mouth a metallic taste and bad breath worse in the morning a constant neck ache worse on the right side. I have fibro and the GP says arthritis on the neck. No investigations for the pain in my neck or bad breath and taste. It's a mystery and frustrating

Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 17, 2014
    • 08:03 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement