Discussions By Condition: Hair conditions

Red scalp and hair loss

Posted In: Hair conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: mattruss
  • November 26, 2009
  • 06:59 PM

Hi all,

For about 12 months now I have been loosing hair from the top of my head, an area of about 6 inches square. The hair in this area has now gone thin and the scalp is quite visible in certain conditions. The area from where the hair loss has occurred is quite pink/red but not sore but sometimes tingles.

I have always had a very thick head of hair and the rest of my hair remains thick despite this area of thinness. Both my parents and grandparents have good heads of hair with no distinct hair loss.

What could be causing this?

Picture

Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• It kind of looks like male pattern loss but a strange pattern. If your having redness that means inflammation. Have you seen a dermatologist? It could be a number of things. Hi all, For about 12 months now I have been loosing hair from the top of my head, an area of about 6 inches square. The hair in this area has now gone thin and the scalp is quite visible in certain conditions. The area from where the hair loss has occurred is quite pink/red but not sore but sometimes tingles. I have always had a very thick head of hair and the rest of my hair remains thick despite this area of thinness. Both my parents and grandparents have good heads of hair with no distinct hair loss. What could be causing this? Picture Thanks.
    outofsorts 3 Replies
    • December 19, 2009
    • 04:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • * Rinsing hair in sage tea and apple cider vinegar may help hair grow. Using shampoos that contain biotin and tea tree oil combats bacteria and mites. Horsetail is rich in silica, needed for strong, shiny hair. Ginko biloba improves circulation in the scalp. Green tea may reduce hair loss. * Saw palmetto and pygeum inhibit dihydrotestosterone production, which is why they are used to treat prostate enlargement in men. For post-menopausal women these herbs prevent baldness from androgenetic alopecia. Soy foods have also been found to inhibit the production of hormones implicated in this type of hair loss.
    dale91 143 Replies Flag this Response
  • * Rinsing hair in sage tea and apple cider vinegar may help hair grow. Using shampoos that contain biotin and tea tree oil combats bacteria and mites. Horsetail is rich in silica, needed for strong, shiny hair. Ginko biloba improves circulation in the scalp. Green tea may reduce hair loss. * Saw palmetto and pygeum inhibit dihydrotestosterone production, which is why they are used to treat prostate enlargement in men. For post-menopausal women these herbs prevent baldness from androgenetic alopecia. Soy foods have also been found to inhibit the production of hormones implicated in this type of hair loss.I have been diagnosed with Alopeca. My scalp is also red where my hair is thining.I have always had a good head of hair and it has taken me completely aback. My family history also does not reveal any hair loss in the women. My mother who is 75 still has a great head of hair, My dermotologist gave me some lotion to put on my head. Which may be working but not sure yet. I figure a red scalp is not a healthy scalp. Where my scalp is white, my hair is fine, so I am on a mission to turn the pink into white. I figure it must be dry so I have been putting olive oil on my hair and rubbing into my scalp and leaving overnight and I think it might be helping. My hair seems to be getting some of the body back that it used to have,
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2010
    • 02:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I have suggested some points to control hair loss. Excessive smoking, Not excercising, stress, less amount of nutrition are not healthy for our hair .we should have enough sleep.Avoid using hair styling products.Hot air can damage our hair so stop using hair dryer.Control dandruff with proper hair care.
    jackanderson 6 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 09:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Also adding 100% lavender, tea tree or rosemary oil to your shampoo can help alot because they are heavy in killing fungus & bacteria also make sure to wash you pillowcases or hats regularly.
    Carosio 3 Replies
    • February 2, 2011
    • 02:06 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement