Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Please someone help me my hands feel like they're on fire!!!!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: NurseCJT
  • January 3, 2007
  • 07:26 AM

Please help!!! I have talked to doctors and have searched for a diagnosis. My hands and the soles of my feet burn like they are in boiling water or on fire and then turn blood red.:eek: It feels like all the blood in my body is rushing into my hands and they hurt sooooo bad!!! This started about 5 months ago. Now I have found out that I am 3 months pregnant and the doctors won't touch me until I have my baby. I don't think that I can take this for 6 more months with out cutting my hands off. My OBGYN has looked at it and has no idea what it could be. This is my second baby and I didn't have any of this when I was pregnant with my daughter. My OBGYN doesn't think that it has anything to do with my pregnancy either. I can't even enjoy being pregnant for this pain in my hands. It happens about every 5-15 minutes.:( I can't take any medication because of my pregnancy without approval of my OB. Please!!!!! If anyone has this or has any ideas they will be greatly welcomed.
P.S. I don't think that it's Raynaud's. My symptoms are different.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• Dear Thread:I am been experiencing some of your same symptoms except my symptoms started out with numbness of my right foot and leg and now my hand and my right side of my face. I recently have developed the burning you have described in my hand and foot. I had a lumbar puncture to rule out MS and came back negative. I am scheduled for a brain MRI tomorrow just to rule out anything else that might be going on. They did diagnose me as having peripheral neuropathy but they don't seem to know the cause of it. I have have had numerous labs done and nerve conduction tests that revealed only the neuropathy. My vision also has been affected but is getting better. I hope everything turns out okay.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 11:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Dear Thread:I am been experiencing some of your same symptoms except my symptoms started out with numbness of my right foot and leg and now my hand and my right side of my face. I recently have developed the burning you have described in my hand and foot. I had a lumbar puncture to rule out MS and came back negative. I am scheduled for a brain MRI tomorrow just to rule out anything else that might be going on. They did diagnose me as having peripheral neuropathy but they don't seem to know the cause of it. I have have had numerous labs done and nerve conduction tests that revealed only the neuropathy. My vision also has been affected but is getting better. I hope everything turns out okay. I too have had an MRI and everything came back normal. This was when my symptoms first started before I was pregnant. After that the doctors pretty much said nothing is wrong with you and sent me on my way. :mad: They make me so mad. Just because they can't tell you why it's happening they think nothing's wrong with you. But when you're in pain every day from it, just because they tell you nothing is wrong it doesn't make the pain go away!!! My advice, don't let the doctors stop doing tests until they give you some answers. I walked away and thought, well since there's nothing wrong I guess the pain will go away on it's own. Now I'm in worse pain than ever before and they won't even see me while I'm pregnant.
    NurseCJT 25 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 07:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have they checked your liver? sounds like they didnt check much? being pregnant they dont like to do to much, have you talked to your OBGYN. maybe they can help, have them check your liver, sounds like your not flushing enough toxins out. keep me posted
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I gather they have obviously tested you for gestational diabetes. Are you overweight at all? This could contribute to gestational diabetes, that is the only reason I ask. Your obgyn would have the best opinion on this. Renaud's syndrome also causes what you describe, are you sensitive to hot and or cold as well with your hands and feet? I'm not sure if there is anything they can do treat this while you are pregnant, I've had it for years, and I don't get any kind of treatment for it. Fortunately, I don't get the burning so much, or it may be that I'm just so used to it, I don't realize it's happening. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 06:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Demonic possession. This is were the disease is coming from. I have it and I'm dying. I had an esoteric bath and the demon of death came onto me. Sorry, no one will believe you about demonic possession. Ask the Lord for forgiveness and surrender your soul and spirit to ****s, NOW.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 06:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You are allergic to something you are ingesting or using on a daily basis. It could be food or chemical. It could be something new you brought into your home. It could be mold in your home causing the burning but it is definitely an allegic reaction... Sometimes medications cause burning... Start by paying attention to everything you eat and drink daily and see if there is something there. If not think about any new chemical such as cleaners or detrergents that you started using or brought into your home... You should be able to figure it out...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2008
    • 06:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, I have to tell you that this sounds to me like a case of reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome, albeit under rather unusual circumstances. I agree that your symptoms would be inconsistent with Raynaud's. I would also not think this is a neuropathy since it's a bit early for gestational diabetes to be a consideration, particularly of a duration sufficient to cause neuropathy to occur. Some time will tell if it's in fact RSD, although I certainly understand your level of discomfort. A short trial of predisone this early in your pregnancy would not represent a risk, so my suggestion would be to speak with your physician to see if it will bring about some relief if they feel comfortable prescribing it. Thermography may be useful to determine whether temperature changes are in fact occurring that would substantiate change in skin color, etc. I'm afraid that's all I can offer under the circumstances. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • November 2, 2008
    • 11:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The same problem began in my feet several years ago, and after undergoing nerve conduction testing on my legs and fee (the pain from which was more excrutiating than natural childbirth), my neurologist diagnosed me with idiopathic (which means they don't know the origin) peripheral neuropathy. It was explained to me that peripheral nuerapathy is a misfiring of your nerves, which sends the wrong message to your brain. In other words, my nerves are telling my brain my feet are hot, but they're actually cool to the touch. In other words, your This type of condition usually occurs in older adults (60+), but I has only 45 when I was diagnosed.Unfortunately, I was told it really isn't treatable. My biggest problem with it was trying to sleep through the night because I'd wake up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning feeling like my feet were on fire. My doctor prescribed 25mg Amitriptyline to help me sleep through the night, and it's been a Godsend. My doctor also told me that exercise will help because having good circulation, which is oftentimes achieved by raising your heart rate on a regular basis, helps the condition. I do some type of cardio workout at least 4x a week. But on certain days, to which there is no rhyme or reason, my feet getting very red and burn like ***l.Unfortunately, as my doctor had forewarned, the condition is not moving into my hands. Today, for instance, my hands are burning and are bright red. It makes it difficult to work at times, and the red appearance of my hands is embarrassing.This condition is so frustrating, and I'm extremeley worried about it worsening as I get older. It has definitely affected my quality of life.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2011
    • 05:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please help!!! I have talked to doctors and have searched for a diagnosis. My hands and the soles of my feet burn like they are in boiling water or on fire and then turn blood red.:eek: It feels like all the blood in my body is rushing into my hands and they hurt sooooo bad!!! This started about 5 months ago. Now I have found out that I am 3 months pregnant and the doctors won't touch me until I have my baby. I don't think that I can take this for 6 more months with out cutting my hands off. My OBGYN has looked at it and has no idea what it could be. This is my second baby and I didn't have any of this when I was pregnant with my daughter. My OBGYN doesn't think that it has anything to do with my pregnancy either. I can't even enjoy being pregnant for this pain in my hands. It happens about every 5-15 minutes.:( I can't take any medication because of my pregnancy without approval of my OB. Please!!!!! If anyone has this or has any ideas they will be greatly welcomed.P.S. I don't think that it's Raynaud's. My symptoms are different.:confused: try using a brace on your hands my girl friend woke up in midd of night sscreaming her hands were on fire, it turned out to be carplutunel and also her right heel why we don't know. try a brace on during day and while speeling.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please help!!! I have talked to doctors and have searched for a diagnosis. My hands and the soles of my feet burn like they are in boiling water or on fire and then turn blood red.:eek: It feels like all the blood in my body is rushing into my hands and they hurt sooooo bad!!! This started about 5 months ago. Now I have found out that I am 3 months pregnant and the doctors won't touch me until I have my baby. I don't think that I can take this for 6 more months with out cutting my hands off. My OBGYN has looked at it and has no idea what it could be. This is my second baby and I didn't have any of this when I was pregnant with my daughter. My OBGYN doesn't think that it has anything to do with my pregnancy either. I can't even enjoy being pregnant for this pain in my hands. It happens about every 5-15 minutes.:( I can't take any medication because of my pregnancy without approval of my OB. Please!!!!! If anyone has this or has any ideas they will be greatly welcomed.P.S. I don't think that it's Raynaud's. My symptoms are different.:confused: Heyy So I don't know exacly what you are going through but I had the same thing happen to me and i am only 16 they say I have anxiety that might be part of your problem hope I could help !
  • well if i had to give an educated guess without know more than what i know. i would say your are suffering from a nueropathy of the hands and/or feet. google that. i know when people hear that word they think numbness. but that't more than often not the case. it can cause extreme pain and burning. and there are meds out there to treat this condition. it's usually found in diabetics though. however, anymore with more circulation can fall victim to it.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Try carefully watching your blood sugar. I have had this happen in my feet since I was young (~8yrs old.) I'm not 25 and it still happens from time to time. The doctors have never been able to help. I am not diabetic, but I've found that eating 6+ small meals all day seems to keep it from happening. However, if I eat a big meal, or have a few drinks, it flares right up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2011
    • 01:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If you have Rhanauds theen you should get checked for secondry diseases such as Lupus / Schleroderma or something along those lines. It sounds exactly like what my mum suffers with. She has Rhanauds and then it turned out to be Lupus. Ask your doctor. They should be looking for secondry diseases for you. Don't delay. x
    Littledorrit 1 Replies
    • December 24, 2011
    • 09:21 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement