Discussions By Condition: Arm Conditions

Night-time finger/arm/shoulder symptoms

Posted In: Arm Conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 19, 2009
  • 06:09 PM

For about three weeks now I have been having the same symptoms almost every night. Some nights it is worse than others, but it pretty much always happens and it has been getting worse over time. It is to the point now where it actually wakes me up in the night from the pain.

About three weeks ago I started waking up in the mornings with numb/tingly fingers in my right hand. I noticed that there was a tender spot just next to my right shoulder blade toward the center of my back so I assumed that I had slept funny and i just got a pinched nerve that would go away on its own. I continued to wake up with this problem and later it developed into not just numb/tingly fingers, but a severe dull aching pain in my upper arm radiating from my shoulder down to about my elbow and everything below is just numb. It is only my right shoulder/arm and it only happens at night (although the spot next to my shoulder blade is tender all the time) I wake up with it and within about 30 min. to an hour of being up and moving around it goes away on its own. The pain and numbness also seem to be eased by ibuprofen.

Does anyone know what this might be and/or what the appropriate action is to address the problem?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• For about three weeks now I have been having the same symptoms almost every night. Some nights it is worse than others, but it pretty much always happens and it has been getting worse over time. It is to the point now where it actually wakes me up in the night from the pain.About three weeks ago I started waking up in the mornings with numb/tingly fingers in my right hand. I noticed that there was a tender spot just next to my right shoulder blade toward the center of my back so I assumed that I had slept funny and i just got a pinched nerve that would go away on its own. I continued to wake up with this problem and later it developed into not just numb/tingly fingers, but a severe dull aching pain in my upper arm radiating from my shoulder down to about my elbow and everything below is just numb. It is only my right shoulder/arm and it only happens at night (although the spot next to my shoulder blade is tender all the time) I wake up with it and within about 30 min. to an hour of being up and moving around it goes away on its own. The pain and numbness also seem to be eased by ibuprofen.Does anyone know what this might be and/or what the appropriate action is to address the problem?I would recommend seeing Physiotherapist for accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. In the mean time check out the following links for detailed information on some of the more common causes of the symptoms you describe including treatment:Referred Shoulder PainCervical Disc BulgeHope that helps,PhysioAdvisorwww.PhysioAdvisor.com
    PhysioAdvisor 93 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement