Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Sores that won't heal

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Aoibheann
  • November 19, 2009
  • 10:15 AM

A few months ago I developed sores on my scalp and they won’t heal.
They first appeared in August, just one small scab on the side of my head. I just presumed I had scratched myself or something and ignored it. It started to hurt and two more appeared on the top of my head, two on the back and another on the side. They all appeared in the space of about two weeks. They were fairly sore and a pharmacist advised me just to use a gentler shampoo.

I went to the doctor in because I could feel the lymph nodes at the back of my neck were swelling. She said it was eczema (which I’ve never had before) and gave me some steroid drops put on them and took a swab to check if they were infected. They were infected and she gave me a course of antibiotics.

They did heal while I was taking the antibiotics but 3 days after I finished the course they all came back in the very same spots. I thought they would heal but then my glands went up again so I went back to the doctor and she gave me a 2nd course of antibiotics. The 2nd course hasn’t helped at all, it had no effect. Even my glands stayed swollen.

Then she gave me a stronger antibiotic and that did nothing too. She also checked for any fungal infection but there’s none.

I’ve had them now for almost 4 months and they won’t heal.
My scalp burns all the time.

The lymph glands at the back of my neck are swollen and sometimes the one at the front swell too. The pain of it wakes me up in the night.
On one side of my head I have a huge swollen lump that’s so bad I can’t lie on my side.
My ears are painful now too (just the pinna, there’s no pain inside my ears).

Now I’m not sure if it’s an infection or its just eczema.:confused:
If it’s an infection then surely 3 courses of antibiotics should have helped?
If it’s just eczema then the steroid stud should have helped. Also it doesn’t look like eczema, they look like cigarette burns.
I don’t know what to do about it anymore, I’m so sick of it.:(
Does anyone have any advice/ideas?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement