Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Cold sores, help

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 2, 2007
  • 09:17 AM

I get awful cold sores and I've been to many websites that tells me how to get rid of old sores when they are just beginning or how to make them stay away but no one ever says on those sites how to make cold sores that have scabbed over already go away. can you help me?

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• i was having the same problems with many cold cores and my doctor gave me a script for valtrex (the herpe med) i only use them when i feel one coming in. i have cut them down to maybe one every couple of months
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2007
    • 02:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • An excelent topical product to try is called Herbal Answers Aloe Force Skin Gel and you may find it on the web if you google it. It has colloidal silver and cat's claw and other herbs in it. This stuff is fantastic - you can even put it in the mouth for canker sores of toothache. It speeds up healing. Hope this helps.Doctor of Oriental Medicine
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 2, 2007
    • 11:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The best thing that I have used is Denavir. It is a prescription and works like no other script out there. It is a tiny tube and very expensive, even with insurance, but is well worth the money to not have the pain of a cold sore!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 09:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get awful cold sores and I've been to many websites that tells me how to get rid of old sores when they are just beginning or how to make them stay away but no one ever says on those sites how to make cold sores that have scabbed over already go away. can you help me?Once the cold sores appear and have started to scab over, there is little that you can do except keep the area clean and wait for them to heal on their own. I sometimes apply a hot damp compress to the area to soften the scabs long enough to apply Abreva, but even this is not a proven method. You pretty much have to endure the outbreak once it appears. Abreva, Valtrex and other medications only work at the first signs of an outbreak, so once the blisters are there, you are pretty much stuck with them. Sorry, I know how you feel.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 08:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Here's a simple remedy that has worked for me. Epsom salt!put about a teaspoon in a small bowl or saucer add just enough water to start the salt to dissolve. Stir around with a clean finger and then dawb the solution onto where you feel it starting or where it is. It will totally stop it from forming or will help dry it up quickly! This also works great on poison ivy/oak.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I get awful cold sores and I've been to many websites that tells me how to get rid of old sores when they are just beginning or how to make them stay away but no one ever says on those sites how to make cold sores that have scabbed over already go away. can you help me?hi there, so i have the same problem, and its been over a month now and thank god its been getting smaller, but as much as i read about this, im starting to suspect that this might be some sort of herpes, im really scared to go to a doctor and find out about it, so does this mean this might come back and i have to experience this again???? someone help me find out ... these are the symptoms - everytime i wake up, it forms a scab and its dark in color and when i clean them, theres a lot of blood and pretty much the only way to stop them is putting ointment in em, then they could become extremly dry which i think could be better because thats the time its barely noticeable but this beinig the case it could just crack open anytime soon and before you know it blood just drips like crazy and its really embarrasing.... now this is the 3rd week that ive been planning to go to the hospital and find out about it. but im just way to scared..... oh god im so *****d at myself right now...... i dunno whats next....
  • Sounds like a cold sore trying to heal - you open your mouth a tad too much and it breaks the scab and bleeds like mad - welcome to the world of the cold sore sufferer - as long as it IS getting smaller - I wouldn't worry too much. Best is to keep it moist with a rich cream (I use Neutrogena Norwegian hand cream because its not greasy, its invisible and it 'clings') dab it on at regular intervals (before you eat, brush your teeth, go to bed, etc). Don't pick at it and relax.
  • My husband used to get alot of cold sores until we started looking at what food triggered an out break. When ever he ate things like pepperoni or beef jerkey sticks he would have an out break. Think about what foods might be making you get cold sores.
  • I used "Lauriciden" from http://www.lauricidin.com/default.asp Read all the details and buy some...nothing like it..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've heard people use that mentholated lip stuff, Camphophenique. I would think that would hurt though. There are two kinds of herpes, oral and genital. You can get the oral type also on the genitals, so keep your hands clean. The virus will live on your lips or wherever and will re-erupt when the lip skin is disturbed. (Cold weather chapping, skiing in winter ) and during stressful times. I had cold sores in my 20's, which finally disappeared,and they came out again after surgery in my 50's. Some people say you can take Valtrex on a daily preventitive basis. I got my prescription from the dentist. You have to take a loading dose (more than you would normally) the first day. Yes, it is a type of herpes, but don't freak out. And...don't kiss anyone either while the sore is there.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've found it!!! My naturopath told me to use Campho-Phenique and now they have "Cold Sore Treatment for Scab Relief". It heals cracks and scabs.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I got herpe one of these days and its just gone and another one came right after it. In one night it just turned awfull, this never happenned(one after another). What do I do I can't even go out, I feel terrible.Anyone know how to get rid of it quickly?? (I'm using neosporin, it doesn't look like it's working-my dad says it works.)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 00:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • there is a chapstick-like cream I use called Herpecin-L that helps keep the scab moist and helps heal the sore...can be found at most any drug store or even grocery store only about $5 per stick
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2007
    • 03:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Tea Tree oil is the only thing that will actually make it go away. Find it at Wal-Mart (cheapest) or at a Health Food store. Apply it to the sore when you first feel it starting and it will disappear within a matter of hours. If the sore has already broken out it will dry it up and speed the healing process. Tea Tree oil is one of the potent anti-virals we know of and its all natural. Hope this helps youSojourner:)
    sojourner 8 Replies
    • August 23, 2007
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've gotten cold sores ever since I was little. They used to last for a week, now I only have one for up to two days. What I do is when I feel one coming: I hurry and put Rubbing Alchol on it. That should stop it, but if it doesn't and it appears I have other techniques. I know this will sound gross but I put nail polish remover on the cold sore. That will stunt the growth, so I've found. But you have to be careful with it, it does burn. I put that on every 10-15 min within an hour. After that I put ice on it. That will freeze the cold sore and stop it from spreading to make more. After the ice I apply Abreva. This works wonders. But you have to be careful with it.So then I take a pin, starelize it, and pop the cold sores. Yeah I've heard you're not supposed to, but I hurry and whipe away the excess goo. Then apply ice again to make sure it doesn't spread. After that I put Hyrdoperoxide (brown bottle) on it. It should fizz and bubble and kill the germs. I do that as much as needed. Then I apply Witch Hazel to my cold sore. This dries it up fast. I apply it every 10-20 min within an hour. When it dries up, it's almost gone. I then apply Carmex to my cold sore. It helps shrink it. I switch between the Witch Hazel and the carmex. Hopefully this works for you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2007
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ALOE. Super cheap and works better than all the expensive over the counter and prescription crap I have tried. I buy Fruit of the Earth brand 100% Aloe Vera Gel. Its about $4 for a big 12oz bottle, but im sure it would work just as well straight from the plant. Ive used it on cold sores in various stage and it seems to stop it in its tracks wether already scabbed over or just begining. Just dab some on a few times a day, or whenever its bothering you. It dries the sore out and keeps the area soft at the same time so it doesn't crack. It stops the pain too. Works on pimples too by the way.;)
    gracotta 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • ICE, ICE, ICE. As soon as I feel that tingling and swelling sensation, I immediately try to freeze the little bugger in its tracks. THIS WORKS. I had the day off from work, so i picked up some rubbing alcohol, peroxide, 1000mg Lysine, Zinc, and advil. went home and watched movies. While doing so, I kept an ice cube wrapped in a paper towel on the erupting sore almost constantly. (Its a little uncomfortable but the results are worth it.) I took 3000mg Lysine throughout the day WITH meals, ad advil to help the swelling, which the ice does anyway. In the morning, the skin was already crusted over, and the swelling was down by half. I drained the sores with a sterile needle, dried the area with alcohol and peroxide, and continued to keep ice on it. I also continued to take Lysine and zinc with meals. Its been less than two full days and the area just looks chapped and dry, no evidence of a nasty cold sore at all! Hows that for a quick and cheap cure? Hope this helps some of you out there :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2011
    • 08:29 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement