Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

nose gets really red & sometimes warm...

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 31, 2006
  • 05:33 PM

I'm a 34 yr old female, healthy, physically fit and when I'm nervous, warm or just whenever my nose will get bright red out of nowhere & I can't stop it. I noticed this several years ago when I was cold or hot but in the last maybe year my nose will get VERY red & it's embarrasing. I've tried to tilt my head, put ice on it...everything I can think of & it just comes and goes as it pleases. Sometimes it's accompanied by a very warm or flushed feeling & my whole face feels warm. Other times I don't even know it & I see it in the mirror or someone tells me. I will have a few drinks on the weekends when I bartend and I know people used to tell me about a year ago when I would drink. However, now it happens during the middle of the week when I haven't been around alcohol or dramatic temperatures. I ask for any help you can offer as it's become very embarrasing.

Reply Flag this Discussion

87 Replies:

• Figured I'd give this a bump, as the same issues apply to me.Anybody out there know of a reason for this?Thanks in advance.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 11:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could be rosacea. This is quite common, but not so easy to diagnose. There is a topical treatment called Metrogel which can help, but it is by prescription only. A home remedy would be to use green tea - steep the tea bag and then just gently rub on affected area. Follow this up using a good aloe product called Herbal Aloe Force skin gel, which has colloidal silver and other herbs in it. Hope this helps.Doctor of Oriental Medicine
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 21, 2007
    • 01:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your time. I trully hope it's not rosecea as it seems that is an awful disease to deal with. I don't seem to have any bumps or acne-like issues other than occasional breakouts on my face in the normal t-zone places but it's worth a try. Thanks again!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 03:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Rosacea is not a terrible disease and is really quite common. If you can get the metrogel it should help - my husband had this in his twenties and after a couple of months with this gel it cleared up...he's thirty two and hasn't had any problems since! DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 02:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had exactly the same problem since I was 16 - it came out of nowhere and no one has been able to help and I am now 42! Cold makes it worse, but so does hot weather - alcohol is bad, but so are hot drinks and hot food!! I have tried the gel others have spoken of and that has not helped - the only thing to do is carry face powder and a mirror and cover up when you can - I really sympathise as people are always commenting and this does not help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 00:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there - I've been going through this very same thing lately and it's driving me nuts. I think for me it's hormonal....it seems to occur a few days during mid-cycle, and it always seems to occur in the mid-to-late afternoon timeframe. It makes me want to hide until it's gone!! I doubt it's rosacea though because I have a friend who has that and it only affects her cheeks and can be quite itchy/painful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please do not listen to anything Shula or Acuann tell you. My sister just passed away because Shula and Acuann told her that her doctor was wrong and she did not have a serious condition. Acuann even told her to get acupuncture to get healed. These people are going to be investigated for practicing medicine without a license. Shula and Acuann are specifically wanted in connection with my sisters homocide. Thats right homocide. If she would have listened to her doctor instead of these internet quacks she would still be here today. Rest assured I will do everything in my power to put these two behind bars and shut this website down for good.
  • If you suspect you have rosacea, I suggest visiting http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/A great bunch of people and excellent info. and support-also photos so you can compare your condition-some cases are very severe. I have rosacea, but am lucky enough to have only a mild case.For "Acuann" who stated that rosacea is NOT a terrible disease...no malice intended at all :), but your experience with it must be limited indeed-it is quite debilitating on a number of fronts as anyone who suffers from it (especially from the more severe forms) will be able to tell you. If your husband cleared it up permanently then I'm VERY glad for him, but I have never heard of anyone succeeding in a complete recovery-athough to some degree it is controllable and success varies greatly from individual to individual, at the end of the day it is (so far) an incurable condition. All the Best!!
  • My apologies to the last poster and others concerning my post about rosacea. I didn't mean to say this was not debilitating in some people. It is a common disease, and usually doesn't manifest as a systemic problem (in other words, doesn't cause liver/heart/kidney problems). But there are certainly rare complications with it. My husband was lucky as I sent him to a dermatologist when I started seeing his redness. Many people don't think about rosacea until they've had it awhile. I do suggest trying green tea as it has very good healing properties. It may be able to help with the soreness/itchiness associated with it. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi there - I've been going through this very same thing lately and it's driving me nuts. I think for me it's hormonal....it seems to occur a few days during mid-cycle, and it always seems to occur in the mid-to-late afternoon timeframe. It makes me want to hide until it's gone!! I doubt it's rosacea though because I have a friend who has that and it only affects her cheeks and can be quite itchy/painful.I have the same problem, I've been looking on the internet all over for answers and I couldn't find any. This warm red nose thing starts at the end of the day and is really red too. A lot of people ask if I have a sunburn and I hate it! I wish someone would tell me whats wrong. i notice also when this happens the tips of my ears get red and warm too. I'm only 18 years old and I hope this isn't permanent! HELP!
  • I have had exactly the same problem since I was 16 - it came out of nowhere and no one has been able to help and I am now 42! Cold makes it worse, but so does hot weather - alcohol is bad, but so are hot drinks and hot food!! I have tried the gel others have spoken of and that has not helped - the only thing to do is carry face powder and a mirror and cover up when you can - I really sympathise as people are always commenting and this does not help!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I also have this challenging condition and have found it occurs predominantly around 2:30 – 3:00pm or in evening after I have eaten dinner. I find if I eat a meal and then eat something with sugar in it right after including fruit this will cause hot red nose within minutes or even up to an hour after. It is often worse around my menstrual cycle or when I feel fatigued from stress. I feel the condition is a result of my insulin levels and food sensitivities. So far what I have found helpful in my search for a remedy is reading the info. from the International Rosacea Foundation website. As it describes rosacea as facial flushing – nose flushing so it goes deeper then the surface of the skin. It offers possible triggers for the condition including the sympathetic nervous system, diet, adrenals, smoking… I have found if I eat small amounts throughout the day and a non sweet food like a sandwich or other carbohydrate around 2:30 – 3:00 the condition does not occur. It is tricky.
  • I have been going through the same problems. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all and then it will happen every day every now and again. It is quite embarrasing that out of nowhere your nose just gets red and hot. I know alcohol really triggers it but so does heat with mine anyway. I am 34 it has been happening over a year now. Kind of hard to go the doctor when it happens because by the time you get there it will either go away or wont be as bad. I have researched it over and over in hopes to find something new about why this happens. Nothing that helps. Tried a couple diffrent things but no luck. Any more suggestions would be a great help.. Thanks Leslie
  • I have the same problem, I've been looking on the internet all over for answers and I couldn't find any. This warm red nose thing starts at the end of the day and is really red too. A lot of people ask if I have a sunburn and I hate it! I wish someone would tell me whats wrong. i notice also when this happens the tips of my ears get red and warm too. I'm only 18 years old and I hope this isn't permanent! HELP!If you ever do get an answer, please post it...I have the exact same issue - at the end of the day my nose becomes bright red. Sometimes it's rather sudden, sometimes it throbs a bit. Aagh!
  • I can really sympathise with you. I have had the same problem for over a year now and it is driving me crazy!! My nose turns red, feels like it is swelling and usually does throb too - arrgg!! It is a really unpleasant and embarassing. The redness seems to come and go at any time but I often find it happens during the afternoon or the evening, generally speaking. I'm sorry to say that I do not have a solution either but was relieved to find that other people suffer from this too. Having searched for an solution though has made me realise that there are many many more conditions out there that are very much more severe and although I will continue to hate it happening to me at least its not really so bad.
  • My ENT told me that it's Vasomotor Rhinitis - he says that's what I have because I have the same problem. When I get hot it's the worst but it will just come on and my sinuses will get clogged. I haven't been tested for allergies and think I should be before I accept the diagnosis of VR but hope this gives some of you somewhere to start.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2007
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been searching for awhile for the answer to the same problem. Have any of you taken rhinoquart aqua or some nasal spray? I have only in the past year or so aquired this condition and I have found that it happens to me when I have not been getting adequat amounts of rest per night. Is there any other symptoms you guys have experienced with this? I do agree with the other individual that said it wasn't rosacea. I understood Rosacea to be a an acne related medical condition. That causes the face to be red in certain areas all of the time. I read somewhere that it may be something to do with the blood vessels in the nose. It makes sense so... that is my opinion. I hope that we can find the solution to this problem. That will be a wonderful day!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2007
    • 08:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My ENT told me that it's Vasomotor Rhinitis - he says that's what I have because I have the same problem. When I get hot it's the worst but it will just come on and my sinuses will get clogged. I haven't been tested for allergies and think I should be before I accept the diagnosis of VR but hope this gives some of you somewhere to start. Look into a treatment called NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Techniques) to get rid of this problem. Western allergy testing is not accurate IMO.. Try NAET it works! Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • October 31, 2007
    • 03:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • me too except my cheeks get red and warm...the only relief is to wash up with cool water,anyone expericne this on their cheeks. I was wondering f menopause had anything to do with it.I am 47. Thanks~A
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2007
    • 03:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't think this is rosacea, because I have the exact same symptoms. My whole face doesn't get red, just my nose. And it isn't a constant reddish rash on nose and cheeks. Every afternoon, about the same time, my nose gets bright red and VERY warm. It can also feel kind of congested. I don't have rosacea-type acne. I don't have red cheeks, or a worsening of symptoms. Just a red, warm nose every afternoon. I have been treated for rosacea, and it didn't help. Also, this quit happening while I was pregnant! Makes me think hormones.It is frustrating to try to figure out exactly why this happens, or what I can do about it, because everyone seems to think it is rosacea. I was treated for rosacea, with metrogel, and it didn't help.Recently I have been trying Intense Pulsed Light Photofacials. This is suppose to decrease or shrink capillaries near the surface of the skin. I haven't noticed a huge difference so far, but I remain hopeful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2008
    • 00:51 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement