Discussions By Condition: Asthma

Question about Asthma Tests

Posted In: Asthma 11 Replies
  • Posted By: jessibrown
  • October 13, 2009
  • 10:10 AM

I recently joined this community. I am an asthma patient too. I want to get more information on asthma and asthma tests. What kind of tests are conducted to diagnose asthma? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks for your help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• I recently joined this community. I am an asthma patient too. I want to get more information on asthma and asthma tests. What kind of tests are conducted to diagnose asthma? Can anyone help me out?Thanks for your help.Hi JessiUsual breathing tests are for blockage of airways, called "spirometry." This blockage varies in asthma, after exertion, after using a drug to open up your airways, after exposure to "triggers" which bring on an attack etc.Another breathing test is for exhaled nitric oxide (eNO.) This is used to measure the amount of inflammation in your airways, which causes the blockage.Other tests could be blood tests (IgE and IgG4) or skin ****k tests, for the allergies which cause the airway inflammation.You could have tests for the balance in your immune system (Th1 versus Th2,) which makes you more or less prone to allergies in the first place..
    holistic_doc 5 Replies
    • October 16, 2009
    • 10:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey Holistic,Thank you so much for the information. Found it really interesting. I came to know about my asthma one year back and they did pulmonary function test for me. This is a test, done at doctor's office, which measures how well your breathing passages can move air in and out. The test is done by blowing forcefully into a mouthpiece that is connected to a computer. The computer measures the air moving through the mouthpiece and will show whether your breathing is normal for your age and height.But I am hearing about the exhaled nitric oxide (eNO) test for the first time. Even my doctor never mentioned it. I just need to know whether this test is helpful in monitoring asthma and also wish to know if this test has been used frequently by physicians to monitor the asthma level of patients. Can you explain me more about eNO test?
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • October 20, 2009
    • 10:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Jessi,The test isn't available where I live, so I've no experience with it's use. The literature suggests people are still undecided as to it's place - whether it adds anything much extra in addition to the breathing test you have already had, which can be used again at any stage to see how you are going.If you put in the search "eNO asthma office measurement," the first site is that of the people who developed the equipment used. It has more information.
    holistic_doc 5 Replies
    • October 20, 2009
    • 11:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Jessi,The test isn't available where I live, so I've no experience with it's use. The literature suggests people are still undecided as to it's place - whether it adds anything much extra in addition to the breathing test you have already had, which can be used again at any stage to see how you are going.If you put in the search "eNO asthma office measurement," the first site is that of the people who developed the equipment used. It has more information.Hey Holistic,Thank you for the information. I am researching on exhaled nitric oxide and I have decided to talk to my doctor about the eNO test when I visit him next time. Will research more and share information with you.
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • October 23, 2009
    • 06:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey Holistic, I researched on exhaled nitric oxide and came across an instrument called "Insight eNo" by Apieron. It measures patient’s degree of airway inflammation. Based on the exhaled nitric oxide levels doctors can tune their medication accordingly. FDA has approved it for testing patients at the physician’s office.Also I came to know that the largest health care insurer, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield in the Mid-Atlantic has adopted a policy stating that measurement of exhaled nitric oxide is considered medically necessary in the management of asthma patients.Hope you find this info useful.
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • October 27, 2009
    • 07:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey All,Came across this link on web. Found it informative and helpful. Just take a look in to it.http://asthma.about.com/b/2009/08/22/carefirst-bluecross-blueshield-exhaled-nitric-oxide-medically-necessary.htm
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • November 9, 2009
    • 00:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey All,Came across this link on web.Just take a look at it.http://www.slideshare.net/exhalednitricoxide/insight-eno-system-to-assist-physcians-with-patient-asthma-management
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 10:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey All,Exhaled Nitric Oxide Monitoring for Asthmahttp://www.wikio.com/article/exhaled-nitric-oxide-monitoring-asthma-148681263
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • December 2, 2009
    • 00:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Check this link......Exhaled nitric oxide in the diagnosis of childhood asthmahttp://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/339/dec29_1/b5418
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • January 15, 2010
    • 00:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey All,Came across this link on web. Hope it is helpful.http://www.myasthma.net/blog/A-new-noninvasive-asthma-management-tool-acts-like-a-window-into-the-bronchial-tubes
    jessibrown 14 Replies
    • January 21, 2010
    • 09:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I recently joined this community. I am an asthma patient too. I want to get more information on asthma and asthma tests. What kind of tests are conducted to diagnose asthma? Can anyone help me out?Thanks for your help.rryyyyyyyy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2010
    • 08:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement