Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Coughing up phlegm for 2 1/2 weeks now

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Annie33
  • October 8, 2009
  • 09:57 PM

Two & a half weeks ago, I started coughing up greenish phlegm. I thought it was a bacterial infection. So I took a Z-pack. After 5 days, when the Z-pack was gone, I didn't feel any better, & was still coughing up green phlegm. I went to the Dr. She said that I was probably resistent to the Z-pack, & gave me a 10-day dose of Amox. -- the generic of Augmentin. After 6 days of being on it, the green phlegm changed to a white color. So I thought I was finally getter better. But then after finishing the medicine, after the 10 days, I was still coughing up white phlegm all day. And I don't feel well at all. I have no energy. And I just feel like something isn't quite right. I went to the Dr. again. He said that it probably wasn't a bacterial infection in the first place -- but rather a viral infection. He did do a chest ex-ray to check for Pneumonia. But there is no Pneumonia. So he said there was nothing else we could do. It just has to get better on it's own. But I'm not so sure he is right. I am so tired of coughing up phlegm, I don't feel good, & I'm real run down. Any ideas anyone?

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• i suggest u get a blood test and sputum test done for diagnosis ... i have a feeling its either a bacterial or viral infection, and im guessing its either a flu or bronchitis, since ur doctor said its not pneumonia ...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2009
    • 03:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • [No, I don't have any ideas, but I have the same problem, but I have had it since the summer, and everyone I talk to tells me to forget and live with it. The last time I went to the doctor, all they asked me was if it was of a different color, and I said, no, and she said it was not serious. I am still concerned and don't know what to do.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 10:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like you both need to speak to new Doctors. Demand more tests be done, don't just let them tell you you are fine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 19, 2011
    • 07:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same problem every time i coughth it feels stif and wen i do i loose ma breath and frow up green flem its gettin worse by the day im coughthin all day just gets bad in the mornin and night time and dont no wot to do ?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • If you're coughing up white phlegm you may be suffering from asthma. I was diagnosed in '97 and now have inhalers.
  • Hello my name. Is anthony iam just now going thrw the same aotuation how did it go for u did it ever stop.....................Two & a half weeks ago, I started coughing up greenish phlegm. I thought it was a bacterial infection. So I took a Z-pack. After 5 days, when the Z-pack was gone, I didn't feel any better, & was still coughing up green phlegm. I went to the Dr. She said that I was probably resistent to the Z-pack, & gave me a 10-day dose of Amox. -- the generic of Augmentin. After 6 days of being on it, the green phlegm changed to a white color. So I thought I was finally getter better. But then after finishing the medicine, after the 10 days, I was still coughing up white phlegm all day. And I don't feel well at all. I have no energy. And I just feel like something isn't quite right. I went to the Dr. again. He said that it probably wasn't a bacterial infection in the first place -- but rather a viral infection. He did do a chest ex-ray to check for Pneumonia. But there is no Pneumonia. So he said there was nothing else we could do. It just has to get better on it's own. But I'm not so sure he is right. I am so tired of coughing up phlegm, I don't feel good, & I'm real run down. Any ideas anyone?
  • I'm in the same boat. I was on antibiotics for 10 days. Still coughing. This happens to me once to twice a year. My doctor usually will give me 4-5 days of Prednisone and the cough is gone. I hope the doctor I see today will do the same. I'm already on inhalers, but infections seem to trigger the lingering cough.'
    manadeb 1 Replies
    • August 19, 2013
    • 04:52 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement