Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Left thumb and finger don't work

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 8, 2009
  • 02:00 PM

5 weeks ago I had a high fever. Doctor tested and said it was a virus. 12 hours after fever broke left arm had shooting pains up and down and I couldn't bend my left thumb or forefinger (It didnt hurt when I bent it I just can bend it- my muscles won't listen!) Had x ray, mri and emg all didn't point to much. My neurologist is having another mri done on mid to low spine. It has been 5 weeks, the severe pain in the arm is better but I still can't move my thumb and forefinger. I think the virus upon exiting my body damaged some nerves. Any thoughts on what it is and what I can do so I dont have pain and I can move my thumb and finger?

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• 5 weeks ago I had a high fever. Doctor tested and said it was a virus. 12 hours after fever broke left arm had shooting pains up and down and I couldn't bend my left thumb or forefinger (It didnt hurt when I bent it I just can bend it- my muscles won't listen!) Had x ray, mri and emg all didn't point to much. My neurologist is having another mri done on mid to low spine. It has been 5 weeks, the severe pain in the arm is better but I still can't move my thumb and forefinger. I think the virus upon exiting my body damaged some nerves. Any thoughts on what it is and what I can do so I dont have pain and I can move my thumb and finger?Will,I woke up about 3 weeks ago and can not bend my right thumb at all. I can move it at the base, but can not bend the knuckle. Does this sound like your situation? Please e-mail me: TBarr26769@aol.com......I also have bad pain up my right arm when I reach.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2009
    • 02:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes it seems similar, but I cant say. Let me give you an update on my condition and maybe that will help. Basically neurologist thru MRI and Xray of neck and EMG test have ruled out a lot, but they original neurologist is still perplexed. He ordered an MRI of mid spine but Blue Cross wont authorize it yet. I got a second opinion from another neurologist who immediatley said I know what it is. Parsonage Turner Syndrome (wikipedia it to learn more) or generally it is nerves messed up in the brachial plexus. All the symptoms I have point to this. FYI my MRIs and Xrays do show some general damage thru wear and tear of my neck (Fusion C2-3; minimal bulge at C4-5; spru at C5-6.). If this most recent diagnosis is right my OPINION is that this virus I had caused swelling in a weak area of my body (my neck) and caused damage. New neurologist says all will be ok with time. I will get my thumb and mobility back in 6 months. He told me to go to occupational therapy where they will make me do exercises so muscle and shock the muscle so it doesn't harden. I started going to a chiropractor who I pre screened by sending him my xrays and MRIs and asking him what his diagnosis was and if he could help. He read the MRIs correctly so I thought I would give him a shot. He has not really helped yet, but I will give it a few more sessions. My neck at the end of the day is really sore. I have been putting a heat compress that you buy at the store where it sticks on your skin and can wear it all day that REALLY helps. I tried massages but didn't help. If I were you I would try to get all the tests that I have done to rule out all the bad things (tumor, hyneration of discs, etc). Get a copy of ALL tests to show other Drs. I found the traditional neurologists are so technical that they cant figure out something out of the box like what I have. I went to a neurologist who is more "holoistic" he is almost a primary care type of dr. Also the drs i met with from my primary care to the neurologist always downplayed my virus theory. When I would talk to other reugular folk I found out MANY people suffer from post viral effects some really bad. The medical community seems to downplay. Good luck let me know what you find as I am not out of the woods yet.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2009
    • 01:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had that -- it was diagnosed as AIN Palsy -- have hope, it cleared up on its own.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had that -- it was diagnosed as AIN Palsy -- have hope, it cleared up on its own. It has been 9 months. How long did it take for yours to heal?
  • It has been 9 months. How long did it take for yours to heal?It took almost a year. Has your forefinger started bending again?
  • It took almost a year. Has your forefinger started bending again? Yes my forefinger is bending about 90%, but it was 90% after the first month. I have a weird feeling that this is not going to get anybetter!
  • I think it will -- have faith -- I saw an article on ehow about this and it might help you.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement