Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Left thumb and finger don't work

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 8, 2009
  • 02:00 PM

5 weeks ago I had a high fever. Doctor tested and said it was a virus. 12 hours after fever broke left arm had shooting pains up and down and I couldn't bend my left thumb or forefinger (It didnt hurt when I bent it I just can bend it- my muscles won't listen!) Had x ray, mri and emg all didn't point to much. My neurologist is having another mri done on mid to low spine. It has been 5 weeks, the severe pain in the arm is better but I still can't move my thumb and forefinger. I think the virus upon exiting my body damaged some nerves. Any thoughts on what it is and what I can do so I dont have pain and I can move my thumb and finger?

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• 5 weeks ago I had a high fever. Doctor tested and said it was a virus. 12 hours after fever broke left arm had shooting pains up and down and I couldn't bend my left thumb or forefinger (It didnt hurt when I bent it I just can bend it- my muscles won't listen!) Had x ray, mri and emg all didn't point to much. My neurologist is having another mri done on mid to low spine. It has been 5 weeks, the severe pain in the arm is better but I still can't move my thumb and forefinger. I think the virus upon exiting my body damaged some nerves. Any thoughts on what it is and what I can do so I dont have pain and I can move my thumb and finger?Will,I woke up about 3 weeks ago and can not bend my right thumb at all. I can move it at the base, but can not bend the knuckle. Does this sound like your situation? Please e-mail me: TBarr26769@aol.com......I also have bad pain up my right arm when I reach.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2009
    • 02:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes it seems similar, but I cant say. Let me give you an update on my condition and maybe that will help. Basically neurologist thru MRI and Xray of neck and EMG test have ruled out a lot, but they original neurologist is still perplexed. He ordered an MRI of mid spine but Blue Cross wont authorize it yet. I got a second opinion from another neurologist who immediatley said I know what it is. Parsonage Turner Syndrome (wikipedia it to learn more) or generally it is nerves messed up in the brachial plexus. All the symptoms I have point to this. FYI my MRIs and Xrays do show some general damage thru wear and tear of my neck (Fusion C2-3; minimal bulge at C4-5; spru at C5-6.). If this most recent diagnosis is right my OPINION is that this virus I had caused swelling in a weak area of my body (my neck) and caused damage. New neurologist says all will be ok with time. I will get my thumb and mobility back in 6 months. He told me to go to occupational therapy where they will make me do exercises so muscle and shock the muscle so it doesn't harden. I started going to a chiropractor who I pre screened by sending him my xrays and MRIs and asking him what his diagnosis was and if he could help. He read the MRIs correctly so I thought I would give him a shot. He has not really helped yet, but I will give it a few more sessions. My neck at the end of the day is really sore. I have been putting a heat compress that you buy at the store where it sticks on your skin and can wear it all day that REALLY helps. I tried massages but didn't help. If I were you I would try to get all the tests that I have done to rule out all the bad things (tumor, hyneration of discs, etc). Get a copy of ALL tests to show other Drs. I found the traditional neurologists are so technical that they cant figure out something out of the box like what I have. I went to a neurologist who is more "holoistic" he is almost a primary care type of dr. Also the drs i met with from my primary care to the neurologist always downplayed my virus theory. When I would talk to other reugular folk I found out MANY people suffer from post viral effects some really bad. The medical community seems to downplay. Good luck let me know what you find as I am not out of the woods yet.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2009
    • 01:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had that -- it was diagnosed as AIN Palsy -- have hope, it cleared up on its own.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had that -- it was diagnosed as AIN Palsy -- have hope, it cleared up on its own. It has been 9 months. How long did it take for yours to heal?
  • It has been 9 months. How long did it take for yours to heal?It took almost a year. Has your forefinger started bending again?
  • It took almost a year. Has your forefinger started bending again? Yes my forefinger is bending about 90%, but it was 90% after the first month. I have a weird feeling that this is not going to get anybetter!
  • I think it will -- have faith -- I saw an article on ehow about this and it might help you.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement