Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Painful, sometimes itchy, bumps on fingers

Posted In: Skin conditions 18 Replies
  • Posted By: Cricketchirp
  • October 7, 2009
  • 03:59 AM

For a while now, I've been getting these skin bumps on my fingers. They used to be smaller, and go away after a while, but lately, they are larger and even more annoying. On the palm side of my middle finger, sometimes the skin gets really dry and cracks or peels because of the bumps.

They're sometimes itchy, but mostly painful -- especially when I'm holding something that requires me to bend my fingers (like a pencil).

I live in Florida, so humid climate.
I'm 16 years old and not "intimate" with anyone, so it's not anything I could have acquired through that kind of contact. My mom says she used to get the same little bumps on her fingers when she was my age, but never found out what they were (so maybe it's hereditary?).

They aren't red (unless I scratch at them), so they're a little difficult to see in pictures.
The dermatologist thought it was scabies, but took a skin scraping and said it was possibly a form of eczema. She gave me some "clobetasol propionate cream USP, 0.05%" which hasn't done a thing to help. I don't really want to go back to her and get another skin scraping, since the first time she did it, I nearly passed out and now I have an ugly scar on my ring finger...

Here are some pictures, in which I drew some red lines to show where the bumps are.
-dry, peeling skin on right middle finger
-palm view of left hand
-side view of left index finger
-left index finger
-side view left middle finger
- agitated bump on right index finger

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• For a while now, I've been getting these skin bumps on my fingers. They used to be smaller, and go away after a while, but lately, they are larger and even more annoying. On the palm side of my middle finger, sometimes the skin gets really dry and cracks or peels because of the bumps. They're sometimes itchy, but mostly painful -- especially when I'm holding something that requires me to bend my fingers (like a pencil). I live in Florida, so humid climate. I'm 16 years old and not "intimate" with anyone, so it's not anything I could have acquired through that kind of contact. My mom says she used to get the same little bumps on her fingers when she was my age, but never found out what they were (so maybe it's hereditary?). They aren't red (unless I scratch at them), so they're a little difficult to see in pictures. The dermatologist thought it was scabies, but took a skin scraping and said it was possibly a form of eczema. She gave me some "clobetasol propionate cream USP, 0.05%" which hasn't done a thing to help. I don't really want to go back to her and get another skin scraping, since the first time she did it, I nearly passed out and now I have an ugly scar on my ring finger... Here are some pictures, in which I drew some red lines to show where the bumps are.-dry, peeling skin on right middle finger-palm view of left hand-side view of left index finger-left index finger-side view left middle finger- agitated bump on right index finger I have the same lumps in my fingers. Your photos are very good. I haven't found anyone who knows what to do about it, it's like they're beneath the skin, so nothing topical will work. I drank some juice once called 'Mangosteen' juice. It's some kind of vitamin drink and after a few days it killed those bumps. they all dried up and pealed off. sad to say a few months after not drinking the juice and they came back.
    banjoplayer 1 Replies
    • November 23, 2009
    • 00:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same lumps in my fingers. Your photos are very good. I haven't found anyone who knows what to do about it, it's like they're beneath the skin, so nothing topical will work. I drank some juice once called 'Mangosteen' juice. It's some kind of vitamin drink and after a few days it killed those bumps. they all dried up and pealed off. sad to say a few months after not drinking the juice and they came back.I have those ***n bumps. The are so painful, I can barely open a bottle of milk. I have read lots and lots of threads...I think we are allergic to something, maybe the same thing, maybe something different, but have the same reaction. I did read that someone said it is balsam. I just bought some "balsam" soap and had a HUGE breakout, so maybe that's it. I also just put up a christmas tree that no doubt has balsam, and my hands are barely able to type here. I don't know how to treat them, other than to leave them alone, never touch any soaps, detergents or water, even, and just keep them lotioned with eucerin or something. I have them on my toes too- but only during the winter when I wear closed shoes. They aren't bumps either, on my toes they are just red sores but feel the same and make walking and wearing shoes painful. SHEESH. But I guess it's better than cancer or something...Anyone has any good home remedies, let me know. Starlalmd@hotmail.com~L
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2009
    • 05:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For a while now, I've been getting these skin bumps on my fingers. They used to be smaller, and go away after a while, but lately, they are larger and even more annoying. On the palm side of my middle finger, sometimes the skin gets really dry and cracks or peels because of the bumps. They're sometimes itchy, but mostly painful -- especially when I'm holding something that requires me to bend my fingers (like a pencil). I live in Florida, so humid climate. I'm 16 years old and not "intimate" with anyone, so it's not anything I could have acquired through that kind of contact. My mom says she used to get the same little bumps on her fingers when she was my age, but never found out what they were (so maybe it's hereditary?).They aren't red (unless I scratch at them), so they're a little difficult to see in pictures. The dermatologist thought it was scabies, but took a skin scraping and said it was possibly a form of eczema. She gave me some "clobetasol propionate cream USP, 0.05%" which hasn't done a thing to help. I don't really want to go back to her and get another skin scraping, since the first time she did it, I nearly passed out and now I have an ugly scar on my ring finger...Here are some pictures, in which I drew some red lines to show where the bumps are.-dry, peeling skin on right middle finger-palm view of left hand-side view of left index finger-left index finger-side view left middle finger- agitated bump on right index finger It is a form of Eczema. Lots of itching. Small clusters of tiny "tapioca" type bumps appear under the surface of the skin...they itch like crazy, then peel. Each part of the process seems like it all happens just under the top layer of the skin. the entire cycle of getting the bumps, and having them itch, dry up, then peel and finally go away can take up to 3 weeks to complete. You have to be patient. (If bumps or clusters are on top of the skin, see your doctor for herpes or shingles testing. Shingles or Herpes)This form of Eczema will appear over and over again but is not contagious. Sometimes it can be aggrivated from dish soaps and other irritants that you use on your hands, or maybe didn't wash off your hands completely.Annoying, but all in all harmless.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 16, 2009
    • 09:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you for posting this - it's the first explanation that i've been able to "relate to" even though my allergist told me it was some kind of ezcema. Now i just need to know what causes it. it started with a christmas tree, i'm nearly sure of it. i'm going through my bio friendly products now - NONE of which, conveniently, have ingredient lists beyond "good for the environment". I'll update if I find any solutions.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2010
    • 04:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • For a while now, I've been getting these skin bumps on my fingers. They used to be smaller, and go away after a while, but lately, they are larger and even more annoying. On the palm side of my middle finger, sometimes the skin gets really dry and cracks or peels because of the bumps. They're sometimes itchy, but mostly painful -- especially when I'm holding something that requires me to bend my fingers (like a pencil). I live in Florida, so humid climate. I'm 16 years old and not "intimate" with anyone, so it's not anything I could have acquired through that kind of contact. My mom says she used to get the same little bumps on her fingers when she was my age, but never found out what they were (so maybe it's hereditary?). They aren't red (unless I scratch at them), so they're a little difficult to see in pictures. The dermatologist thought it was scabies, but took a skin scraping and said it was possibly a form of eczema. She gave me some "clobetasol propionate cream USP, 0.05%" which hasn't done a thing to help. I don't really want to go back to her and get another skin scraping, since the first time she did it, I nearly passed out and now I have an ugly scar on my ring finger... Here are some pictures, in which I drew some red lines to show where the bumps are.-dry, peeling skin on right middle finger-palm view of left hand-side view of left index finger-left index finger-side view left middle finger- agitated bump on right index finger I have the same thing. I was told by my dermatologist that it is a form of eczema. I make sure I moisturize my hands very well, and it seems to help a lot. The bumps get worse when my hands are dry. Good luck!
    jessbestrong 18 Replies Flag this Response
  • thank you for posting this - it's the first explanation that i've been able to "relate to" even though my allergist told me it was some kind of ezcema. Now i just need to know what causes it. it started with a christmas tree, i'm nearly sure of it. i'm going through my bio friendly products now - NONE of which, conveniently, have ingredient lists beyond "good for the environment". I'll update if I find any solutions. I'm new at this posting thing.....I totally argee with the christmas tree thing. I first noticed mine one year after shopping for a live christmas tree. But then sometimes I would get the bumps in the spring/summer, when I would be doing yard work. It has some connection to evergreen trees/bushes. Right now I have one on my right hand, middle finger knuckle.....but what is different this time, I haven't been around any evergreens. However I do have 3 small dogs, who like to play around in the evergreen bushes......so it may not have to be direct contact. I don't know, I'm just guessing.....it's just as good as any doctor I've been to.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I first got them 11 years ago while in basic training at Ft. Benning Georgia. It was hot and humid and I was in the grass quite a bit, I thought they were ant bites as I had put my hands in more than one ant pile! The first time they were all over all of my fingers. Over the years it has subsided to only my left hand ring finger, and a few random bumps on some other fingers. They come back every year in the spring when the weather gets warm and stay till the temprature evens out. This time they showed up even though the weather hasn't been warm or hot lately. I haven't figured out what triggers them yet, other than the weather changing. I have used Gold Bond anti-itch cream in the past and it has helped but not to the extent that they have gone away, only to make them itch less. I haven't been able to get them diagnosed, but I haven't been trying very hard either. It sounds like it's eczema from the previous posts in this thread.
  • I have had it on my ring finger for a while now, they go away then come back and the skin bumps up ans then the itching then the flaking of the skin, as I read your comments I see that a lot of people get it around their ring or middle fingers, I wonder if it's a condition that is getting around that the doctors have no clue what it is and call it eczema just because it looks like it, if any of you fing a way to heal it that works, post something here cause I feel really stumped with this one. thanks.
  • Hey guys. I have had the same problems with these itchy bumps since I was a little kid. I am now 25 years old and have had to deal with them every summer since then. Sometimes they would be so unbearable, I would have to wear gloves in the middle of July to stop me from scratching them! I'm going to share with you what helped me out...As I mentioned, I've had these bumps since I was a little girl. They would always flare up in the beginning of summer and by fall they would go away again. As a teen, I kind of just put up with it because my parent's couldn't really afford to take me to the doctor for itchy bumps.Now when I turned 17, I moved to Philadelphia for college. That summer I got ready to deal with the itchy hands, but they never came! For 4 years I thought whatever my condition was vanished. That is until I graduated from college and moved back home to Jersey. The flare ups started again!That fall I attended a wedding for my cousin. By then, the bumps were gone because the summer had ended. However, when I walked into the wedding my hands flared up in minutes and itched like never before. I was shocked because I never had flare ups in October. It was then I realized what it was that gave me this reaction. My cousin had his wedding decorated with hundreds of impatiens. I recognized them right away because it was what my dad always decorated our front yard with. When I was living in Philadelphia, there were no impatiens or much plant life around because it's a big city. That's why I never had a flare up there. It's kind of hard to get away from them in the suburbs. A lot of people have these kinds of flowers! Now you may not be allergic to impatiens as I am, but maybe for you it's another type of plant??? Now there's nothing I can really do to stop this condition (unless of course I move back to the city!) But the very best way I have found to deal with this is to use Benadryl Gel. WOW I cannot get through the summer without it. As soon as I see even one bump forming on my finger I use this gel. It has helped get rid of the itching and prevents more bumps from forming. Believe me I have used so many other lotions and creams, but this one is by far the best. I put it on a few times during the day, and really glob it on at night before bed. I really hope I helped you out. I know how annoying these bumps can be and it's even worse when you don't know how to deal with them. Believe me, I've went through years of wondering what to do. You can get Benadryl gel at a Walgreen's, CVS or Rite Aid. It is easy to find. Please let me know if it works for you! I hope it does!-E
  • Hi everyone. I also have these annoying bumps on my fingers and have no idea what causes them. They're not painful nor itchy. I had these before. I started having them about 2 years ago and didn't have a single bump last year but now it is happening again. I have an infant to take care of and I am afraid to touch his bottles and him because I'm afraid the bumps could be contagious. I've tried Googling this but all that comes up are itchy and painful bumps. But mines aren't itchy or painful! What the heck is it!?
  • I have the same thing. It comes an goes on my fingers, and just recently went to my toes, where they are driving me insane. I'm 25 and this is the first time I've ever had anything like this. About a month after the first ones started appearing, I broke out in aggressive hives, which have since been treated. I've never been allergic to anything in my life, I grew up a farm girl spending more time outside than in, I've handled just about every kind of chemical and certainly haven't come into contact with anything new. Treating the hives did nothing for the bumps. My doctor wasn't convinced they were related.The wierdest thing is about a year and a half ago, my room mate got the bumps. She's battled them off an on, was told it was eczema and given steroid cream, which helps. I never caught them till now, so I don't think I really caught them from her. And she's never had them on her toes.Plus mine occassionally I'll get one or two that blister up and become huge. The first one I ever got was like that. The ones on my toes are like that. They are clear blisters with little purple/red dots in the centers of them. Otherwise, they are as you've described previously, tiny itchy painful bumps.I'm at a loss. I did break the one on my finger open when it first appeared but it really didn't drain, it was like cutting into my flesh. It wasn't on the surface of my skin but deeper, and I cut through several layers of flesh trying to reach the center, which never oozed like I was expecting.I don't use Oxyclean either. Never come into contact with it. And no knew chemicals that I have come into contact since I was a kid. I've always been an outdoorsy sort of person. I've been into Nettles, Poison Oak, Poison Ivy so many times that I barely feel the bite of it anymore, and ignore the welt till it vanishes on its own.. so its none of those.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• It is due to a lack of vitamin deficiency. Take multi-vitamin and mineral supplements and they will go away. Also you can use tea tree oil which can be found at places such as Walgreen's. Don't freak out though because the oil is really for a nail fungus but you will find it to be amazing stuff. It will even take away any type of wart. I have used this stuff on toe nail fungus and have a healthy toe nail now (be patient as for it takes a long time for toe nails to regrow healthy) I have used it on planters warts which were professionally froze and never went away. I have used it on the tiny little blister like bumps on the sides of my fingers. My kids warts on their hands, etc. It truly is amazingly great stuff!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2010
    • 02:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Mine are always on the side of my index fingers closest to my thumb and always by the bone(knuckles) they are always red in appearance, swollen, sore to the touch, somtimes itchy. I first noticed them a few months ago, came and left after a few days. A few weeks later another 1 or 2 came back and again were gone after a few days. But they keep coming back and Im worried somethings wrong. I havent changed any cleaning products etc in the past year or so...I havent been in contact with anything new that can cause it-as its soooo strange its always in the same places. Any help would be appreciated
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2010
    • 00:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had these for years, and they are always brought on during times of intense stress. I have read that over-the-counter anthihistamines taken by mouth (like Benadryl allergy) are effective. Good luck, everyone!
    dthoman 1 Replies
    • September 2, 2010
    • 04:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had these bumps off and on, but right now I have a cluster of them on my left ring finger. They itch and hurt so bad I had to remove my wedding rings. I thought maybe I was allergic to them (white gold), but the pictures on the original post is exactly what I have. I will try the tea tree oil. It sounds like a reasonable option. Thanks all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 17, 2010
    • 10:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know you posted this message quite a while ago but, I was hoping you found out what you have. I am almost 32 years old and I have experienced the similar clusters of bumps in my fingers. I have also had them on the sides of my toes on a few occassion but mostly on the sides of some fingers and on the tops of my knuckles. It only seems to itch when the skin seems dry but, mostly it is painful when bending my fingers or when I touch them.For a while now, I've been getting these skin bumps on my fingers. They used to be smaller, and go away after a while, but lately, they are larger and even more annoying. On the palm side of my middle finger, sometimes the skin gets really dry and cracks or peels because of the bumps. They're sometimes itchy, but mostly painful -- especially when I'm holding something that requires me to bend my fingers (like a pencil). I live in Florida, so humid climate. I'm 16 years old and not "intimate" with anyone, so it's not anything I could have acquired through that kind of contact. My mom says she used to get the same little bumps on her fingers when she was my age, but never found out what they were (so maybe it's hereditary?).They aren't red (unless I scratch at them), so they're a little difficult to see in pictures. The dermatologist thought it was scabies, but took a skin scraping and said it was possibly a form of eczema. She gave me some "clobetasol propionate cream USP, 0.05%" which hasn't done a thing to help. I don't really want to go back to her and get another skin scraping, since the first time she did it, I nearly passed out and now I have an ugly scar on my ring finger...Here are some pictures, in which I drew some red lines to show where the bumps are.-dry, peeling skin on right middle finger-palm view of left hand-side view of left index finger-left index finger-side view left middle finger- agitated bump on right index finger
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2011
    • 06:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I used to have this problem for years, when i was younger around 17 - early 20's then with out realizing it, they just stopped coming back. I seemed to recall it occured most of the time in the summer time, i use to live in Va Beach and used to think it had something to do with the humidity. I never did figure out the problem, ,but good news is it seems to eventually go away when you get older.thank you for posting this - it's the first explanation that i've been able to "relate to" even though my allergist told me it was some kind of ezcema. Now i just need to know what causes it. it started with a christmas tree, i'm nearly sure of it. i'm going through my bio friendly products now - NONE of which, conveniently, have ingredient lists beyond "good for the environment". I'll update if I find any solutions.
  • I think I may have this. I've googled my head off and kept getting led to herpetic whitlow which freaked me out 'cause I was already paranoid about the bumps spreading to other parts of me or other people. I remember getting them a few times as a teen and they went away on their own after a few days I think. But lately I've gotten them a lot. Is it the heat? Is it stress? Is it from too much dishwashing? (they seem to pop up after I've done the dishes) I can't figure it out. Near as I can tell the pictures here looks like what I have. A bunch of small flesh coloured bumps. They're sometimes itchy but not always. They seem to be pretty tough but I can break them and clear fluid comes out. The skin seems harder after they disappear. I get them on the side of the finger closest to the thumb on the thumb side. I'm worried because they used to be on one finger now they're on the two fingers and there seem to be more each time they come back.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement