Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Need help for unrelenting stomach problems

Posted In: Medical Stories 1 Replies
  • Posted By: confusedmom45
  • September 25, 2009
  • 03:17 PM

My daughter is 16 and has had stomach aches with vomiting, fatigue, no appetite and headache. It started out as a one day episode. Then one week later it was a three day episode now 10 days later it will not go away. She has missed a week of school. She is currently being treated for gastritis with prevacid. However the headache just started 2 days ago. She has no fever and her bowels are normal. She sleeps all the time. Her blood counts are normal eg. white blood cell count normal so the dr. has ruled out bacterial infection. Still waiting on Mono test and celiac disease test. Is there anything else we should be testing for. I feel she should see a pediatric gastroenterologist which I am currently trying to get to in Boston. She did have an emergency Appendectomy in early August and seemed to recover fine. However, all these symptoms started one month later. Any correlation? IF she had a stomach virus she would have recovered by now. None of my children have ever been sick like this.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• Hi there, I was reading your daugther's story and it seems very similar to my daughter's experience. My daughter has been having upper abdominal pain, directly in the middle about an inch below her sternum. This had been going on for the past 3 years, but has only become more severe since March this year. She has been through all sorts of tests that have all come back clear. She has had a gastroscopy done and ultrasounds as well, also came back clear. They tried checking for H-Pylori in her stomach and she has been on medication for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and she has had meds for Acidic Stomach. All options tried, nothing helped. She described the pain as a gripping, gnawing, twisting pain. Also she said that she sometimes felt like she had been punched in the stomach and winded, sometimes stabbing pain and she also had puffiness accross the top of her stomach as well. (definitely not period related - any of her symptoms that is)Her symptoms were, sleeping in until midday, waking up exhausted, extreme tiredness, chronic nausea, chronic pain, dizzyness, feeling really chilled to the bone, headaches, waking heaps during the night with pain, low blood sugar readings (although she is not diabetic). For the last few month's the pain was so bad and constant/present all the time, that she has been off school for nearly one - two terms, she would average maybe 1 - 2 days at school a week if we were lucky. She preferred just to stay in bed and sleep, she lost her appetite as well, as she felt/had constant nausea and felt like she wanted to vomit but she never did. Nothing food or diet related seemed to help. The pain was so bad that she even tried cutting her arms with anything sharp she could get her hands on, just to take her mind off the pain she was in. She also gets a weird bubbling in her throat which sometimes causes pain and she sometimes feels a lump sensation in her throat as well. She is only 14 years old!The doctor's still to this day have not diagnosed what is causing the pain. They wouldn't give her anything for pain relief either. So all I could give her were panadols, I was giving her nurofen but this aggravated her stomach lining. (and she started to get pain on her left side, which stopped when I took her off the nurofen) I did a lot of reasearch on the internet and forums like this and discovered that there is a condition called Acalculous Biliary Pain, it is prevalent in young women and can be present without gallstones. I also have read up on Choledocholithiasis, this is where stones block the common bile duct and can cause the following symptoms;Jaundice, Dark Urine lighter stools or both, Heartbeat may become rapid and blood pressure may drop abruptly, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting and severe pain in the upper right abdomen. These symptoms suggest an infection in the bile duct, seek medical attention immediately. (Sorry typing off what I printed out)I read somewhere else that you can also get sludge that blocks the common bile duct and this can cause the ducts and gallbladder to distend, it is to do with continued secretion of bile by the liver.However after there being no hope at present from the doctor's I decided to put my daughter back onto a children's multivit tablet and she is also taking an Inner Health capsule which puts good bacteria into your stomach and intestines, (I was giving her these for a while when she had the pain and they didn't seem to help much) I then also decided to give her Efalex which is a children's oil capsule. Literally overnight, she woke up with no nausea, no pain, no chills etc and for the last two weeks she has been a different child. Boundless energy in the morning, waking up on time, happy with the world again and a lot easier to deal with (from our perspective). AND she has just started the 4th term of school and has been present every day!!!!! YAY!!!!! So all I can put it down to is that maybe the oil has put a slick on the cystic ducts somehow and it is preventing them from blocking, hence not causing the back blockage/pressure to the ducts and gall bladder.So I hope this can help someone else out there, there seem to be a lot of people out there with undiagnosed stomach pain!Cheers and good luck.PS when I asked the doctor if she could have this condition as stated above, he said that it was very rare and that he wouldn't expect a child of her age to have it!!! Why don't they listen?My daughter is 16 and has had stomach aches with vomiting, fatigue, no appetite and headache. It started out as a one day episode. Then one week later it was a three day episode now 10 days later it will not go away. She has missed a week of school. She is currently being treated for gastritis with prevacid. However the headache just started 2 days ago. She has no fever and her bowels are normal. She sleeps all the time. Her blood counts are normal eg. white blood cell count normal so the dr. has ruled out bacterial infection. Still waiting on Mono test and celiac disease test. Is there anything else we should be testing for. I feel she should see a pediatric gastroenterologist which I am currently trying to get to in Boston. She did have an emergency Appendectomy in early August and seemed to recover fine. However, all these symptoms started one month later. Any correlation? IF she had a stomach virus she would have recovered by now. None of my children have ever been sick like this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 14, 2009
    • 00:25 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement