Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Cafe au lait spots

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: kesaiserris
  • September 20, 2009
  • 08:11 PM

I developed cafe au lait like spots when I was a teenager, they appeared all over my neck, back, and some on my chest. For a while they were severe, but then they went away most of them on my chest I still have some. They do not itch or anything. Occasionally they come back, and have been creeping up higher on my neck. I read that the appearance of cafe au lait spots when there are more than a certain number and are bigger than 5mm is usually a sign of something being quite wrong like Neurofibramotosis? Does anyone know about these spots? Are they pretty clearly indicative of a problem if there a lot of large ones? I have some other probs I mentioned in another post you can refer too but I don't have deformities, which seems to occur in a lot of conditions related to these spots at least not outward deformity my organs are a bit off as I said. Could these spots be nothing? Maybe the key to getting a diagnosis?

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• I developed cafe au lait like spots when I was a teenager, they appeared all over my neck, back, and some on my chest. For a while they were severe, but then they went away most of them on my chest/neck (apparently back) I still have some. They do not itch or anything. Occasionally they come back, and have been creeping up higher on my neck. I read that the appearance of cafe au lait spots when there are more than a certain number and are bigger than 5mm is usually a sign of something being quite wrong like Neurofibramotosis? Does anyone know about these spots? Are they pretty clearly indicative of a problem if there a lot of large ones? I have some other probs I mentioned in another post you can refer too but I don't have deformities, which seems to occur in a lot of conditions related to these spots at least not outward deformity my organs are a bit off as I said. Could these spots be nothing? Maybe the key to getting a diagnosis?I went to the doctor and showed her just because I was there anyways and she really had no idea what they were, she thought maybe a fungal infection even though she said that seems far-fetched so I am going to get some cream and will see if they go away, they don't bother me aside from appearance, but still I'd be glad to see them gone! Does anyone else have these? Or know about them? The conditions I see related to them seem far-fetched, so I really have no idea.
    kesaiserris 35 Replies
    • September 21, 2009
    • 04:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You really should have them examined by a dermatologist to make certain they are not precancerous lesions.
    kermworm 81 Replies
    • September 21, 2009
    • 05:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You really should have them examined by a dermatologist to make certain they are not precancerous lesions.I hope its not that since I've had them for like 10 years. I will test the cream and if its not clearing up I will certainly ask again. Thanks for responding!
    kesaiserris 35 Replies
    • September 22, 2009
    • 11:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I hope its not that since I've had them for like 10 years. I will test the cream and if its not clearing up I will certainly ask again. Thanks for responding!I found this image this it the closest I can find to my spots encase it helps mine are a bit more pink (I am very very fair skinned more red undertone than yellow if that makes any sense at all lol) This is a similar size and shape too to how they often are, though I think mine is bigger on my neck, I have it b/w my boobs too, some on my chest that are small and some on my back, I have smaller ones on my neck as well. I would think it a birth marks if I had been born with them and they weren't able to vanish and reappear, the large one on my neck is the newest only a few months old. Is it a skin allergy? I am sensitive as you would expect but I've tried hypoallergenic items and I used to not wear perfume at all so I don't know. http://www.skincamouflage.com/images/pics/23.jpg
    kesaiserris 35 Replies
    • September 22, 2009
    • 01:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I found this image this it the closest I can find to my spots encase it helps mine are a bit more pink (I am very very fair skinned more red undertone than yellow if that makes any sense at all lol) This is a similar size and shape too to how they often are, though I think mine is bigger on my neck, I have it b/w my boobs too, some on my chest that are small and some on my back, I have smaller ones on my neck as well. I would think it a birth marks if I had been born with them and they weren't able to vanish and reappear, the large one on my neck is the newest only a few months old. Is it a skin allergy? I am sensitive as you would expect but I've tried hypoallergenic items and I used to not wear perfume at all so I don't know. http://www.skincamouflage.com/images/pics/23.jpgI have that too. I have those spots on my lower back reaching up to my neck and on my chest. They never bothered me except for their appearance as well.I visited the doctor today and showed him my cafe au lait spots. Today was actually the first time I ever heard of the word, but I have had these spots for a couple years now and just read what could mean. I am going to the dermatologist within the next week and I will write back what my diagnosis was.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2009
    • 08:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have that too. I have those spots on my lower back reaching up to my neck and on my chest. They never bothered me except for their appearance as well.I visited the doctor today and showed him my cafe au lait spots. Today was actually the first time I ever heard of the word, but I have had these spots for a couple years now and just read what could mean. I am going to the dermatologist within the next week and I will write back what my diagnosis was. I have had something like this ever since i can remember and i am almost 48. my calves looked as though someone drew a perfect line down the inside of each and half were cafe au lait coloured from my ankle to knee and the other half were my natural skin colour. both colours darkened when i tanned as a kid or teen. i dont go in the sun anymore as i used to and u can see the two colours without any tan. it almost looks like i did a crappy job with tanning lotion lol. everyone has asked if i had was a bruise similar to the one in that photo and a similar coloured but splotchy shaped one at my wrist. i have always been told that they are birth marks. they have never changed appearance. i had no idea that there could be a problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 1, 2010
    • 02:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had something like this ever since i can remember and i am almost 48. my calves looked as though someone drew a perfect line down the inside of each and half were cafe au lait coloured from my ankle to knee and the other half were my natural skin colour. both colours darkened when i tanned as a kid or teen. i dont go in the sun anymore as i used to and u can see the two colours without any tan. it almost looks like i did a crappy job with tanning lotion lol. everyone has asked if i had was a bruise similar to the one in that photo and a similar coloured but splotchy shaped one at my wrist. i have always been told that they are birth marks. they have never changed appearance. i had no idea that there could be a problem.I knew a girl with a birthmark exactly like you described, that's probably what it is if you were born with it. Maybe your parents or sibling know? If they appeared at some point maybe the dermatologist could help you. I found out what mine were (some kind of fungal thing yuck that effects teens, I always get things that effect children when I am an adult) and after some cream it totally vanished.
    kesaiserris 35 Replies
    • January 2, 2010
    • 08:11 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement