Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Collapsed lung (Spontaneous pneumothorax)

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Nikki Glasgow
  • September 13, 2009
  • 11:59 AM

I am a 28 year old girl and i recently suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax twice. The first time was in May of this year, i was in hospital for a week with a chest drain in, it was my left lung that had collapsed + the doctors could not get it 2 re-inflate. After a week in hospital they let me home + said as i was still young my lung would re-inflate itself. This was not the case and my lung collapsed again around 4 weeks later. I was admitted into hospital for another week with another chest drain in then i was refered 2 another hospital for an operation.
I had the operation where they used pleurodesis (talc 2 stick the lung) aswell as this they also stapled my lung. I was supposed 2 b discharged from hospital 2 days after the opp, but had a slow recovery so turned out i was in for another week. I was so relieved 2 eventually get out of hospital, but i have stiil not got back 2 normal + this was around 10 weeks ago. I am still in a great deal of pain, chest + back pain, terrible rib pain + my rib is still poking out + swollen, i suffer shortness of breath and have also started suffering from panic attacks which i have never suffered from previous 2 this. i have been 2 A+E so many times in the past weeks convinced my lung ha went again, but fortunatly it has not. The symptoms i am suffering now are the same as i had the both times my lungs collapsed.
I feel there is no help out there for you after this has happened. The doctors say im fine now + my lungs are fine, but cannot explain the pain i am experiencing. I feel like you should be given more information of the side effects of the operation before being released from hospital.
I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is suffering the same or simillar symptoms as me.
I used 2 b a happy, outgoing, carefree girl and now i am a paranoid emotional wreck and cannot enjoy a normal life.
I would not wish a collapsed lung on anyone, it is horrendus.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Hi Nikki,I've been going through something similar all summer and it's made my life miserable. I had a slightly different opperation, they peeled a layer of my right lung off which apparently make it impossible to collapse, however it collapsed5 weeks after surgery :(. Hopefully this will make you feel better but after my first 3 collapses I was fit and healthy after getting out of hospital within a week each time. However after my 4th collapse I am breathless after walking short distances and feeling odd chest pains and pressure that resembles the feelings I had when my lung collapsed each time before however the xrays show my lung is fully inflated. It's depressing to be told you should be fit and healthy and have a fully inflated lung when it feels so much like its collapsed. I feel embarrased and think my family/friends something think i'm imagining it.I think there are lots of people who have similat problems. My doctor told me that it is common that the nerves on the ribs get slightly damaged during the surgery and as they are the slowest cells to heal can cause prolonged pain/numbness etc. Hopefully this is the problem and apparently you can beging to feel that they are healing around 2 months after.Lee
    Saundies 1 Replies
    • October 28, 2009
    • 04:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my first collapse around age 30, was fine and breathing normal till about age 38.within 2 months i had 2 more collapses and had the operation to correct it (layer and staple).i have had similar symptoms but weaker in intensity off and on for 2 years now, after about 6 or 7 ER trips that show no re collapse.i also suffer from the shortness of breath, back and chest pains.the shortness of breath gets worse with physical activity or humidity to the point of being extremely difficult to breath.i was not told there was a possibility of the symptoms i am getting, and am not sure if they are normal or in rare circumstances only.daily life can be difficult at times.your not alone, talk to your doctor and tell them your symptoms and when they are the worst and when they are the least.not sure if there is anything they can do besides look at you like your a idiot and are really not in pain(they have that look mastered).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am a 28 year old girl and i recently suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax twice. The first time was in May of this year, i was in hospital for a week with a chest drain in, it was my left lung that had collapsed + the doctors could not get it 2 re-inflate. After a week in hospital they let me home + said as i was still young my lung would re-inflate itself. This was not the case and my lung collapsed again around 4 weeks later. I was admitted into hospital for another week with another chest drain in then i was refered 2 another hospital for an operation.I had the operation where they used pleurodesis (talc 2 stick the lung) aswell as this they also stapled my lung. I was supposed 2 b discharged from hospital 2 days after the opp, but had a slow recovery so turned out i was in for another week. I was so relieved 2 eventually get out of hospital, but i have stiil not got back 2 normal + this was around 10 weeks ago. I am still in a great deal of pain, chest + back pain, terrible rib pain + my rib is still poking out + swollen, i suffer shortness of breath and have also started suffering from panic attacks which i have never suffered from previous 2 this. i have been 2 A+E so many times in the past weeks convinced my lung ha went again, but fortunatly it has not. The symptoms i am suffering now are the same as i had the both times my lungs collapsed.I feel there is no help out there for you after this has happened. The doctors say im fine now + my lungs are fine, but cannot explain the pain i am experiencing. I feel like you should be given more information of the side effects of the operation before being released from hospital.I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is suffering the same or simillar symptoms as me.I used 2 b a happy, outgoing, carefree girl and now i am a paranoid emotional wreck and cannot enjoy a normal life.I would not wish a collapsed lung on anyone, it is horrendus. Hi there first id like to thank you as i felt i was not alone after reading your story and felt that i must reply. I am a nurse myself and have not long suffered from my first spontaneous collapsed lung incident. i have since been to my GP and hospital on numerous occassions due to pain and the extreme shortness of breath i am suffering. It is so frightening at times that i cant sleep much as the breathlessness wakes me up and i cant settle again. I am a fit person with a gym built in my back garden but after reading the replys to your post i feel as there is no where to turn to and feel there is a severe lack of post medical help and advice once you are released from hospital. And no feedback as to what is causing these symptoms..I have now been informed there is nothing further that can be done until i suffer from this again. I think it is a discrace in this day on age that we are left to suffer llike this and appauled that they refuse to give an answer as to why i and others suffer from breathlessness and pain and why they refuse to treat this.Thanx againGeorgie:mad:
    georgie 1 Replies
    • January 8, 2011
    • 08:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ...I too have experienced some of the same symptoms. I am a 27 year old female and mother of three. In May of 2010, I had experienced my first "Spontaneous Pneumothorax". They inserted a chest tube/drain and I was kept in the hospital for just a few days. They actually released me with the chest tube still in place to return in a few days and have it removed. I experienced my second "Pneumo" just a couple of weeks ago. Both accounts have been to my right lung. This time it happened in my sleep and woke me up which was very frightening, to say the least. I was kept in the hospital for just short of a week with another chest tube/drain, had it removed and then released. This time however, my lung did not fully reinflate. I returned a few days later for an x-ray and results were "No Change". It has been five days and still not a word from the doctor on the results and/or what to do. I get shortness of breath and the horrid feeling on not being able to take a "deep" breath gives me panic/anxiety attacks which makes it worse. They said that "when" it happens again they will then do the surgical procedure of stapling the lung to the chest wall. I am very concerned about the "after math" of the procedure but most upsetting is the thought of sitting around waiting and wondering when will it happen again.
    Jennifer Lynn 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am a 28 year old girl and i recently suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax twice. The first time was in May of this year, i was in hospital for a week with a chest drain in, it was my left lung that had collapsed + the doctors could not get it 2 re-inflate. After a week in hospital they let me home + said as i was still young my lung would re-inflate itself. This was not the case and my lung collapsed again around 4 weeks later. I was admitted into hospital for another week with another chest drain in then i was refered 2 another hospital for an operation.I had the operation where they used pleurodesis (talc 2 stick the lung) aswell as this they also stapled my lung. I was supposed 2 b discharged from hospital 2 days after the opp, but had a slow recovery so turned out i was in for another week. I was so relieved 2 eventually get out of hospital, but i have stiil not got back 2 normal + this was around 10 weeks ago. I am still in a great deal of pain, chest + back pain, terrible rib pain + my rib is still poking out + swollen, i suffer shortness of breath and have also started suffering from panic attacks which i have never suffered from previous 2 this. i have been 2 A+E so many times in the past weeks convinced my lung ha went again, but fortunatly it has not. The symptoms i am suffering now are the same as i had the both times my lungs collapsed.I feel there is no help out there for you after this has happened. The doctors say im fine now + my lungs are fine, but cannot explain the pain i am experiencing. I feel like you should be given more information of the side effects of the operation before being released from hospital.I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is suffering the same or simillar symptoms as me.I used 2 b a happy, outgoing, carefree girl and now i am a paranoid emotional wreck and cannot enjoy a normal life.I would not wish a collapsed lung on anyone, it is horrendus.wow . exept the part where i turn 28 this june i have the exact same story to a tee....cassi
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello everyone. I'm 26 year old male and had a spontaneous pneumothorax three months ago to date. Just like most people, I have been a happy person my whole life, very carefree and "go with the flow" mentality, but I can feel myself becoming anxious...which blows. My ribs are a bit sore still and I have minor tightness in my chest. The worst thing I am experiencing post surgery is being short of breath doing activity's. Before my lung collapse I was common at the gym and never felt breathlessness. Now after a standard workout my breathlessness becomes my mental focus. It scares me because I read articles with people who have copd and the symptoms I feel are similar. I'm very happy I found this post because I was starting to become a hypochondriac. About a week and a half ago the day after a standard workout, I began feeling short of breath just doing normal everyday movements and has continued until present day. I was told by my primary care physician to go to the ER, I did and they took chest x-rays and the said there was no sign of a pneumo... Which is why i started thinking it was copd. I don't know if I have strained myself, causing my symptoms. I'm hoping it will get better, but I decided not to take any chances and see my lung doctor in a couple days. Ill try and post the results for everyone when I find out. Good luck to everyone, because we all know how much of a burden this randomly became in our lives.-Garrett
    garknows 2 Replies
    • October 23, 2013
    • 11:58 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement