Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Collapsed lung (Spontaneous pneumothorax)

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Nikki Glasgow
  • September 13, 2009
  • 11:59 AM

I am a 28 year old girl and i recently suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax twice. The first time was in May of this year, i was in hospital for a week with a chest drain in, it was my left lung that had collapsed + the doctors could not get it 2 re-inflate. After a week in hospital they let me home + said as i was still young my lung would re-inflate itself. This was not the case and my lung collapsed again around 4 weeks later. I was admitted into hospital for another week with another chest drain in then i was refered 2 another hospital for an operation.
I had the operation where they used pleurodesis (talc 2 stick the lung) aswell as this they also stapled my lung. I was supposed 2 b discharged from hospital 2 days after the opp, but had a slow recovery so turned out i was in for another week. I was so relieved 2 eventually get out of hospital, but i have stiil not got back 2 normal + this was around 10 weeks ago. I am still in a great deal of pain, chest + back pain, terrible rib pain + my rib is still poking out + swollen, i suffer shortness of breath and have also started suffering from panic attacks which i have never suffered from previous 2 this. i have been 2 A+E so many times in the past weeks convinced my lung ha went again, but fortunatly it has not. The symptoms i am suffering now are the same as i had the both times my lungs collapsed.
I feel there is no help out there for you after this has happened. The doctors say im fine now + my lungs are fine, but cannot explain the pain i am experiencing. I feel like you should be given more information of the side effects of the operation before being released from hospital.
I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is suffering the same or simillar symptoms as me.
I used 2 b a happy, outgoing, carefree girl and now i am a paranoid emotional wreck and cannot enjoy a normal life.
I would not wish a collapsed lung on anyone, it is horrendus.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement