Discussions By Condition: Other Conditions

Depo-provera and heavy bleeding

Posted In: Other Conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Krissy81
  • December 27, 2006
  • 02:25 AM

I was put on depo-provera injection so that I wouldn't ovulate because I suffer from Ovarian cysts. About40 days after i got the shot I started to bleed. Very heavy at times with blood clots. My dr. the suggested I try Premarin, and estrogen to regulate the bleeding. That didn't work. He told me then to take 2oomg of ibprofen 3 times a day along with the Premarin. That didn't work. I started bleeding 11/7/06 and it's now 12/26/06 and I am still bleeding, He put me on a birth control pill with has estrogen and progestrin. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what where u given to stop the bleeding? And if u were put on birth control pills how long will it take the bleeding to stop? :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• i had a friend who was on depo for over a year and she bled the entire time she was on depo. it did stop once she was off it, but it took a couple of months for her body to get it out her her system and to start on something new.
    angelluvbug82 23 Replies
    • December 28, 2006
    • 09:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was put on depo-provera injection so that I wouldn't ovulate because I suffer from Ovarian cysts. About40 days after i got the shot I started to bleed. Very heavy at times with blood clots. My dr. the suggested I try Premarin, and estrogen to regulate the bleeding. That didn't work. He told me then to take 2oomg of ibprofen 3 times a day along with the Premarin. That didn't work. I started bleeding 11/7/06 and it's now 12/26/06 and I am still bleeding, He put me on a birth control pill with has estrogen and progestrin. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what where u given to stop the bleeding? And if u were put on birth control pills how long will it take the bleeding to stop? :confused:this happend to me while I was on Depo-provera. I was having extreemly heavy bleeding ( i mean every 10-15 min I would have to change my supper tampon) And I have extreemly large blood clots and they were painfull. It was very scary since this was the first time i had been on a birth control. My doctor put me on the birth control Yasmin. After 2 to 4 weeks the bleeding stopped.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 05:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i was put on depo-provera injection so that i wouldn't ovulate because i suffer from ovarian cysts. About40 days after i got the shot i started to bleed. Very heavy at times with blood clots. My dr. The suggested i try premarin, and estrogen to regulate the bleeding. That didn't work. He told me then to take 2oomg of ibprofen 3 times a day along with the premarin. That didn't work. I started bleeding 11/7/06 and it's now 12/26/06 and i am still bleeding, he put me on a birth control pill with has estrogen and progestrin. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what where u given to stop the bleeding? And if u were put on birth control pills how long will it take the bleeding to stop? :confused:im on the depo n i started bleeding 11/09 it' now 1/31/10 still bleeding i was prescribed premarin it did orta kinda slow down but now im bak to heavy bleeding i ju dont understand or know what to do any more im gettin off this crap mesing wit my sex life im in a new relationship goin on 6 months now and cant do ish smh goin on 8 months with no sex screw da depo i was on it b4 in 2003 this ish aint neva happen wow
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2010
    • 08:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I wasn't having regular menstrual periods so I went on the Depo shot back in 2002. I was explained that I wouldn't have my period and that was the plan so I could at least I know why I wouldn't be having it. My sister had been on it for about a year and I felt that it would be harmless. So after I had gotten my first shot, a week later I had really heavy bleeding. I didn't think anything of it, probably my body just adjusting. After having this continuous HEAVY bleeding for 3 months I went back to the Doctors and explained that I had my period everyday now and I had gained A LOT weight. They asked if it was spotting and I said NO, HEAVY BLEEDING. They didn't seem too concerned and said "it seems to be working, you should try it one more time." So I agreed. Another shot. Another 3 miserable months of suffering, more weight gain, swelling all up my legs down to my ankles, my arms and stomach. I swelled so much I had stretch marks on my stomach, from my inner thigh down the back of my knees on both legs, around my breasts and down past my arm pit and ended on my inner arms. Not were they just stretch marks but they were RED, sore and irritated. Before I had the DEPO I was a size 5, by the end of the 6 months I was a size 10. I was so miserable, still had the constant bleeding, and there was nothing they could do. I was obviously allergic to something and again, the Dr. has yet to figure it out. It is now 2010 and I have yet to get rid of the weight issue and the stretch marks will be there forever. I am not on any type of birth control and will never again be on any. I am still having my period only 1-2x's a year and I'm fine with that. I would definitely recommend a different type because once the DEPO is in you, thats it, your stuck with it for 3 months.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ive been bleeding heavly for 3 monthz right after the first week..I jus finished cryin cause I thouught mayb i miscarriage...Im so scared. If one more doc say im normal, imma loss it.
  • im on the depo n i started bleeding 11/09 it' now 1/31/10 still bleeding i was prescribed premarin it did orta kinda slow down but now im bak to heavy bleeding i ju dont understand or know what to do any more im gettin off this crap mesing wit my sex life im in a new relationship goin on 6 months now and cant do ish smh goin on 8 months with no sex screw da depo i was on it b4 in 2003 this ish aint neva happen wowi totally understand you! I started the depo 11/2009 i was also in a relationship...after the first shot...when having intercourse i was drier than a desert! Sex became painful and i had to use lube, i also had to squat down in the shower after sex and have hot water stream down my vagina to calm the pain, my sex drive went wayyyyy down and i bled every single day while on the depo, sometimes heavy and sometimes light. In feb i gained 6pounds already which wasnt bad bcuz i was skinny anyways...still continued to bleed but i was hoping that it would stop after the second shot....continued to bleed...may i was due for my next shot and didnt go because i couldnt take it anymore! My sex drive did return and i wasnt dry anymore...my period went away for a couple of weeks...got my "period" june 24th and i am still bleeding every single day until now (july 14 2010) and my period is extremely heavy with clots and when i pee its all blood! I wouldnt recommend the depo to anyoneits the devil and it ruined my life! True story!!!!!!!
  • Same thing happened to me....I was on the depo for a year..no period life was grand but had no sex drive, gained around 50 pounds, was totally moody, left my husband of 10 years, stopped the shot then it took 5 months for my period to start and it was pretty normal until it only stopped for a week then started again...twice in one month is NOT cool. But now that it's started and wont stop I'm wondering how many weeks it will go for? I had 4 shots in total. BOOO depo!!i totally understand you! I started the depo 11/2009 i was also in a relationship...after the first shot...when having intercourse i was drier than a desert! Sex became painful and i had to use lube, i also had to squat down in the shower after sex and have hot water stream down my vagina to calm the pain, my sex drive went wayyyyy down and i bled every single day while on the depo, sometimes heavy and sometimes light. In feb i gained 6pounds already which wasnt bad bcuz i was skinny anyways...still continued to bleed but i was hoping that it would stop after the second shot....continued to bleed...may i was due for my next shot and didnt go because i couldnt take it anymore! My sex drive did return and i wasnt dry anymore...my period went away for a couple of weeks...got my "period" june 24th and i am still bleeding every single day until now (july 14 2010) and my period is extremely heavy with clots and when i pee its all blood! I wouldnt recommend the depo to anyoneits the devil and it ruined my life! True story!!!!!!!
  • I wasn't having regular menstrual periods so I went on the Depo shot back in 2002. I was explained that I wouldn't have my period and that was the plan so I could at least I know why I wouldn't be having it. My sister had been on it for about a year and I felt that it would be harmless. So after I had gotten my first shot, a week later I had really heavy bleeding. I didn't think anything of it, probably my body just adjusting. After having this continuous HEAVY bleeding for 3 months I went back to the Doctors and explained that I had my period everyday now and I had gained A LOT weight. They asked if it was spotting and I said NO, HEAVY BLEEDING. They didn't seem too concerned and said "it seems to be working, you should try it one more time." So I agreed. Another shot. Another 3 miserable months of suffering, more weight gain, swelling all up my legs down to my ankles, my arms and stomach. I swelled so much I had stretch marks on my stomach, from my inner thigh down the back of my knees on both legs, around my breasts and down past my arm pit and ended on my inner arms. Not were they just stretch marks but they were RED, sore and irritated. Before I had the DEPO I was a size 5, by the end of the 6 months I was a size 10. I was so miserable, still had the constant bleeding, and there was nothing they could do. I was obviously allergic to something and again, the Dr. has yet to figure it out. It is now 2010 and I have yet to get rid of the weight issue and the stretch marks will be there forever. I am not on any type of birth control and will never again be on any. I am still having my period only 1-2x's a year and I'm fine with that. I would definitely recommend a different type because once the DEPO is in you, thats it, your stuck with it for 3 months.I have been having the same problems with depo.I have been a size 5/6 weighing 145 since high school,I am now 23 and have only been on depo for a year and I now wear a size 10 (8 if im lucky) and weigh 163.I havent had any bleeding at all.I did spot once but thats because I was a few days late for my next shot.And my sex drive does NOT exist anymore.I have the strech marks on my hips,buttocks and the inner back of my thighs.I hate showing off my long legs now that I have these stretch marks.And Im not a big fan of the weight gain.Or the now excessive shopping I have to do for the winter for all new bottoms.I will not be getting the next injection in November.I tried the pill but I have a bad time remembering to take it on time.I a sad case right now. Do you know of a cream or cover up to hide the stretch marks?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2010
    • 04:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same thing happened to me....I was on the depo for a year..no period life was grand but had no sex drive, gained around 50 pounds, was totally moody, left my husband of 10 years, stopped the shot then it took 5 months for my period to start and it was pretty normal until it only stopped for a week then started again...twice in one month is NOT cool. But now that it's started and wont stop I'm wondering how many weeks it will go for? I had 4 shots in total. BOOO depo!!Im on my third and i believee e final shot , ive gained 8 lbs , i ve been bleeding for 10 days and never know when its gonna hit , im passing blood clots the size of a friggin small plate ... Idk wth is going on ... I have no energy , im losing hair like there is no tomorrow ... In the beginning , depo was great , no period at all for 6 months , now i can barely function
  • this happend to me while I was on Depo-provera. I was having extreemly heavy bleeding ( i mean every 10-15 min I would have to change my supper tampon) And I have extreemly large blood clots and they were painfull. It was very scary since this was the first time i had been on a birth control. My doctor put me on the birth control Yasmin. After 2 to 4 weeks the bleeding stopped.I got the depo shot back in feb 2010 for the same reasons and i only took one shot of the depo and it made the bleeding worse and the cramping like i was in full forse labour and its now the middle of july and it has not stopped oh i ment 2011 sorry my dr says this is normal and will stop
  • I was put on depo-provera injection so that I wouldn't ovulate because I suffer from Ovarian cysts. About40 days after i got the shot I started to bleed. Very heavy at times with blood clots. My dr. the suggested I try Premarin, and estrogen to regulate the bleeding. That didn't work. He told me then to take 2oomg of ibprofen 3 times a day along with the Premarin. That didn't work. I started bleeding 11/7/06 and it's now 12/26/06 and I am still bleeding, He put me on a birth control pill with has estrogen and progestrin. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what where u given to stop the bleeding? And if u were put on birth control pills how long will it take the bleeding to stop? :confused:i had one injection and bled for the whole ninety days , it had=s now been six months and i bleed constantly still, i was prescribed a birth control pill to regulate my hormones irt is called SPRINTEC it stops the bleeding in two days, but i tried to go off the opill and i start to bleed again, so idk, im seeing my gyno next week, i think the depo provera completely messes a womens system up..
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I was on depo-provera for about 9 months straight as a birth control and only for that reason. I have been without it since April of 2011, 3 months.While I was on it, I did experience weight gain (30 pounds) but did not ever have bleeding, spotting, or cramps. I stopped taking it because of the crazy weight gain and for the scare of bone density loss. I figure my health in the future is more important than thinking DP is my only birth control option.I have had a few days of spotting in May and July, a normal (my usual flow) period in July, and right now it is a heavy flow in August. Using 3 to 4 sanitary products a day is strange to me. I read somewhere else that a heavy period shows signs of low progesterone levels. This could be the case for me, as my body is just now releasing progesterone from DP so maybe it just let my natural level fall too low.Whatever the case may be, I do not recommend depo-provera. Active or not, skinny or fat, virgin or active sex life, there are other, healthier options for your situation.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2011
    • 03:41 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement