Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Severe pain on roof of my mouth

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 31, 2009
  • 00:42 AM

Hello,

Yesterday night I started getting severe pain in my mouth. At first it wasn't that bad and I was just able to deal with it, but I had no idea where it was coming from exactly. 30 minutes later the pain was so severe that I was unable to breathe through my mouth, chew or even move my jaw without making the pain 5x worse. Even light on my eyes was causing the pain the increase (I assume this pain caused a migrane which explains the light hurting me). This pain was like something I have never felt before, and I've been sent into shock by hurting myself, so I know pain. I'm a 24 year old male with a very high pain threshold and this pain put me in bed crying uncontrollable tears. I took 2 500mg tylenol followed by 2 more 20-30 minutes later to help me fall asleep through the pain. Sadly, 2000mg of extra strength tylenol did nothing at all to help the pain in my mouth. I only weight about 170lbs so in my opinion the tylenol should have helped.

I eventually fell alseep and was able to sleep soundly through the night. I woke up the next morning refreshed with no pain whatsoever. About 20 minutes after I woke up (I had already brushed my teeth like I do every morning) the pain came rushing back with no warning. Out of nowhere I was once again in bed crying my heart out from the pain. But this time I knew exactly where the pain was coming from, it was from the roof of my mouth. I started to feel the roof of my mouth with my tounge and was able to pinpoint the pain about 1/4 of an inch away from the back left molar towards the center of my mouth. On top of the pain was what felt like a blister. It's soft, about 3/4 of an inch long and swollen about 1/4 of an inch off the roof of my mouth. I attempted to locate it with sight through a mirror and a handheld flashlight, but was unable to see anything out of the ordinary, even though I can feel it and know exactly where to look.

After reading threads on this forum I was afraid maybe a bone fragment was trying to come through my gums, so I dealt with the pain that was about to come and pushed on the blister as hard as I could with my tounge to see if I couls locate anything hard at all, with no sucess. I feel like if I was to puncture this with a needle it was leak just like a blister would, but I'm terrified to do anything.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Hello,Yesterday night I started getting severe pain in my mouth. At first it wasn't that bad and I was just able to deal with it, but I had no idea where it was coming from exactly. 30 minutes later the pain was so severe that I was unable to breathe through my mouth, chew or even move my jaw without making the pain 5x worse. Even light on my eyes was causing the pain the increase (I assume this pain caused a migrane which explains the light hurting me). This pain was like something I have never felt before, and I've been sent into shock by hurting myself, so I know pain. I'm a 24 year old male with a very high pain threshold and this pain put me in bed crying uncontrollable tears. I took 2 500mg tylenol followed by 2 more 20-30 minutes later to help me fall asleep through the pain. Sadly, 2000mg of extra strength tylenol did nothing at all to help the pain in my mouth. I only weight about 170lbs so in my opinion the tylenol should have helped.I eventually fell alseep and was able to sleep soundly through the night. I woke up the next morning refreshed with no pain whatsoever. About 20 minutes after I woke up (I had already brushed my teeth like I do every morning) the pain came rushing back with no warning. Out of nowhere I was once again in bed crying my heart out from the pain. But this time I knew exactly where the pain was coming from, it was from the roof of my mouth. I started to feel the roof of my mouth with my tounge and was able to pinpoint the pain about 1/4 of an inch away from the back left molar towards the center of my mouth. On top of the pain was what felt like a blister. It's soft, about 3/4 of an inch long and swollen about 1/4 of an inch off the roof of my mouth. I attempted to locate it with sight through a mirror and a handheld flashlight, but was unable to see anything out of the ordinary, even though I can feel it and know exactly where to look.After reading threads on this forum I was afraid maybe a bone fragment was trying to come through my gums, so I dealt with the pain that was about to come and pushed on the blister as hard as I could with my tounge to see if I couls locate anything hard at all, with no sucess. I feel like if I was to puncture this with a needle it was leak just like a blister would, but I'm terrified to do anything.I have exactly the same thing you had. I have taken 400mg. of Ibuprofen every 2 hours with no relief. I had leftover Vicodin from a past root canal. Even that isn't touching the pain. Did you ever find out what this was? How did you end up treating it? I can barely function at all. I have had very bad experiences with physicians and would like to stay away from going to one. But at this point, I don't think I can hold out any longer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2009
    • 08:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • SO interesting!!!I am 25 years old and have NEVER had this pain before. It just started yesterday. It comes and goes. You pinpointed everything I am feeling AND everything I have done, too!! You're right... I KNOW where the pain is, and can feel a low bump, but when I looked in the mirror with a flashlight I didn't see anything abnormal. Some people have asked if I burned my mouth... No, I haven't. I haven't had ANYTHING out of my regular diet, which for the most part consists of sandwiches, fruit, milk, cereal, veggies. The regular everyday stuff that I have always eaten since I was a toddler.Sure, I'm bad about biting my lip or cheek when chewing gum, and I do get the occasional ulcer here and there, but NEVER have I had ANY pain in the roof of my mouth, and NEVER have I had a pain so SEVER as this in my mouth either.I have been "googling" the pain and found y'alls post. I plan on printing this out to take to a doctor, to say "Look. I'm not imaginging it!"I am going to make an appointment with the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor down the street. If that doesn't work, then an Oral Surgeon. I will let y'all know what I find. Good luck with y'all!~Cathryn Harris
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2009
    • 11:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am around the same agr as you guys, I am almost 24 and I have the same problem. The pain is coming from the roof of my mouth, in between my back molars and the roof. I had to endure this horrible pain all day at work and hold my composure. EXCRUCIATING. I first noticed the pain when I woke up in the morning after drinking, I was pretty hung over but the pain just seemed to intensify. Infact it left me vomiting for three days including today due to the unbearable pain. Am I the only one who thinks it may be due to a botched wisdom teeth removal? I had mine out one year ago next month:/ Did anyone ever go to the doctor and find out what was wrong? I don't have health insurence and I can't handle this pain anymore :((( I've been using chlorosepic and medical marijuana to cope, no one else quite understands now horrible the pain is.Rebecca
    rebwelch 1 Replies
    • November 4, 2012
    • 03:58 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement