Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Brain fog, fatigue, slow healing, weakness for over 10 years

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 11, 2009
  • 01:18 PM

I'm a 30 year old male. My problems with poor concentration and memory started at an early age and have continued to worsen over time. When I was about 18 I noticed that I had problems with fatigue, which was gradually getting worse. I was a physically active person, but after starting some cardio at the gym and a martial arts class straight afterwards I felt incredibly weak all of a sudden and broke out in a cold sweat and nausea. Since then, I've also noticed that moderate exercise or muscle stretching would leave my muscles aching for days, like they weren't being repaired efficiently anymore.

A year later, the fatigue and concentration problems were seriously interfering with my work life, so I had to quit my job. I went to the doctor complaining primarily about the sleep and memory problems, and because I felt so distressed about what was happening to my body and mind, I broke down in tears. This led to a diagnosis of depression. I was prescribed medication but after trying lots of them I have had no real success. Now I'm at a loss as to what to try next. My physical symptoms don't fit in well with the d/x of depression. My doctors are trivialising the physical aspects, or thinking they are anxiety-based/somatoform or whatever.

I've had a neurology exam (walking in a straight line and the usual stuff), neuro thought I was wasting his time.
Also had a daytime EEG, which was fine. If anything was abnormal they would have been able to give me a sleep study or nighttime EEG, as my sleep is very disturbed.
Had blood tests done again recently: blood count, biochemistry, liver & thyroid function, they all came back ok.
I have asked my doctor to check my testosterone levels, because of my non-existant libido and lack of morning erections, which has been a problem for around 5 years now. I'm waiting for that result at the moment.

Some more symptoms...

Physical:

Easy bruising & slow healing of cuts or other damage to the skin
Muscle weakness
Weight loss
Intolerance to heat & cold
Internal shivering sensation
Dizziness & problems when standing
Hypoglycaemia
Dry, flaking lips, skin & nails
Dark shadows under eyes
Lower back ache

Mental:

Severe Brain fog/blank mind
Mood changes
Poor appetite
Feel worse in the morning
Irritability
Jumpiness

To confuse things a little more, I can feel partially better one or two days per week. I will have more energy, less aches, brighter mood and better appetite.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement