Discussions By Condition: Mouth conditions

Excessive salivation

Posted In: Mouth conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: ScorpioBev
  • July 25, 2009
  • 08:12 PM

I wake up early in the a.m. and my saliva glands are going crazy!!! My mouth fills up over and over. I could spit and fill a coffee cup at least half full. It happens very randomly. This morning it was accompanied with some nausea and upper stomach/abdomen pain. There is always a feeling of accute hunger. Any feedback???:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I've had days just random maybe like every 3 months or so where I just salavate like crazy for a day or two and it's gone. I have no idea why. I usually grab a cup and spit in it like dipping (that I dont do) every couple of mins if Im at home instead of just swallowing it all because of feeling sick after alot of swallowing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I wake up early in the a.m. and my saliva glands are going crazy!!! My mouth fills up over and over. I could spit and fill a coffee cup at least half full. It happens very randomly. This morning it was accompanied with some nausea and upper stomach/abdomen pain. There is always a feeling of accute hunger. Any feedback???:confused:Have you been drinking alcohol in binges "party ******n weekends", and/or regular drinking a drink or 2 every night of the week? I have the same symptoms and have been a regular nightly drinker of a brandy and on the weekends more. I have had great stomach discomfort and it feels that anything I eat on a Sunday does not get digested until Tuesday. This leaves my stomach full of food/acid and the saliva is our bodys way of preventing the acid from coming into our throat and causing errosive esophagitis. The sphincter that closes the stomach from your throat is also relaxed by alcohol making it more likely. Definitely no more acidic pizza at 2am until yo urule it out. good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 14, 2009
    • 11:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the exact same symptoms of waking up with excessive saliva and nausea (every 3-5 hrs during the night), coupled with a strong sensation of hunger. for me, these bouts usually coincide with an aggravated ulcer, and the ulcer medication pantropazole (a proton-pump inhibitor) seems to keep both under control when my ulcer flares up. in the short term, you might reduce your symptons by doing the following: spit out the saliva, drink some water, eat a little stack of crackers (or cereal, or bread--keep by the bedside), then go to asleep on your back with an extra pillow to prop yourself up a bit so gravity can help keep your stomach juices in your stomac.) this might work for you, too, but in the long term, see your doctor and see if the saliva issue might be related to an ulcer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I wake up early in the a.m. and my saliva glands are going crazy!!! My mouth fills up over and over. I could spit and fill a coffee cup at least half full. It happens very randomly. This morning it was accompanied with some nausea and upper stomach/abdomen pain. There is always a feeling of accute hunger. Any feedback???:confused: You might want to get your alimentary canal checked out. It is well known that gastritis, peptic ulcers and GER (Gastro-esophageal Reflux) cause hypersalivation and drooling, due to a protective body mechanism to release more saliva in the hope of reducing the acidity and the damage that it causes internally. Conditions such as Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease also put you at risk for hypersalivation because of your increased sensitivity to pH changes, epsecially if the pH is already too low.
    doccwp 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement