Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Temporary paralysis, buzzing in ear, electric shock sensation

Posted In: Nerve conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: savedsol
  • July 23, 2009
  • 08:30 PM

Saturday morning at about 3 a.m I woke up and could not move at all. At the same time I had a this electric shock sensation going throughout my entire body. I also had the really loud buzzing in my ear. This continued for about 30 seconds then I was able to move my head and it stopped. I have been paniced every since. I was out of town when this happened.
I saw the doctor Monday, she ordered blood work (came back normal) and MRI (went to that this morning) and gave me some anxiety medicine. I have been having numbness in my head (probably due to anxiety as it comes and goes) and my ear hurts and feels full.
I have searched the net and the only thing I found that was close was sleep paralysis, but that doesn't explain the other symptoms
I am a happy, healthly 29 year old married mother of two little ones and have never had any problems before. Unless you count the spinal headache I got from a bad epidural.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Hypnopompic sleep paralysis fits your symptoms unless there are additional symptoms that you forgot to list. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false. Many perceptions are also associated with sleep paralysis (visceral buzzing, loud sounds, adrenal mental state, presences, and the paralysis itself.)You likened the numbness in your head to anxiety, so that leaves the ear situation, which sounds like a classic ear infection. Unless the experience is recurring, I'd say you have an ear infection and nothing else to worry about. Get your doctor to check your ears.gl
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your replys. My ears have cleared up (no infection as the doc looked at them) and my MRI came back "normal." I wish they would tell me something besides "Your MRI was normal." I know this is going to cost a pretty penny, so at least tell me something like, "Ma'am you only have 3 brain cells left, the rest is just cobb webs.";)Anyway, they haven't told me anything else. I have not had any other problems. I asked my doc to do some research on sleep paralysis, so far they have not called me back. So right now I am thinking it was just a freak episode of sleep paralysis. The EHS is facinating though.
    savedsol 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your replys. My ears have cleared up (no infection as the doc looked at them) and my MRI came back "normal." I wish they would tell me something besides "Your MRI was normal." I know this is going to cost a pretty penny, so at least tell me something like, "Ma'am you only have 3 brain cells left, the rest is just cobb webs.";)Anyway, they haven't told me anything else. I have not had any other problems. I asked my doc to do some research on sleep paralysis, so far they have not called me back. So right now I am thinking it was just a freak episode of sleep paralysis. The EHS is facinating though.savedsol,I'm an average 27 yr old mom... and I started having sleep paralysis after my son was born. I think it was because I was sleep deprived. Supposedly a change in places, sleeping positions, time of day that your sleeping and so on can bring this sleep paralysis on... so it makes sense that it happened when you were out of town. For me it always happens when I am napping during the day. In just the last year or so the pulsing, buzzing, whooshing sound in my ears has started. It also makes my head feel like it's full of pressure. It really bugs me and usually happens when I am falling asleep, right before the paralysis. Just try not to panic. If you can open your eyes, just look back and forth and back and forth and it will help you get out of it. Or, just go back to sleep and hopefully when you wake up it will be gone. Works for me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 04:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • savedsol, I'm an average 27 yr old mom... and I started having sleep paralysis after my son was born. I think it was because I was sleep deprived. Supposedly a change in places, sleeping positions, time of day that your sleeping and so on can bring this sleep paralysis on... so it makes sense that it happened when you were out of town. For me it always happens when I am napping during the day. In just the last year or so the pulsing, buzzing, whooshing sound in my ears has started. It also makes my head feel like it's full of pressure. It really bugs me and usually happens when I am falling asleep, right before the paralysis. Just try not to panic. If you can open your eyes, just look back and forth and back and forth and it will help you get out of it. Or, just go back to sleep and hopefully when you wake up it will be gone. Works for me. do some research on hypokalemia hyperkalemia partial paralysis and andersen tawil syndrome you could be experiencing early stages of one of these disorders.. my son was first diagnosed with sleep paralysis and then i was diagnosed with andersen tawil syndrome which makes it 5o-50 that he also has andersen tawil but we wont know for sure until he is genetically diagnosed.
    kattsqueen 29 Replies
    • August 22, 2009
    • 01:35 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement