Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Heaviness and loss of balance?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 23, 2009
  • 11:38 AM

I've been having problems with heaviness in my head an loss of balance for awhile now and my doctors not sure what's causing it.

It started in March with just feeling a bit shaky. I thought I must be coming down with something and felt heaviness in my head. I didn't think much of it and it went away after 3 days so I was just glad I hadn't actually gotten sick.

It came back a few more times and again I just put it down to "I must be coming down with something". I felt fine besides that.

It came back in may and it was worse. Before it had just been a feeling of unsteadiness But this time it stated with a feeling like a weight in the back of head that was throwing me off balance. Even when I was sitting I could feel it.

I thought right away it must be my ears so I went to a drop in centre and they looked and said my ears where fine. I had no temperature (I never did either) or any pain in my ears. They said there was no inflammation or irritation in them or my throat or sinuses, and my ears didn't need syringing or anything. My hearing was fine. They suggested that I go to my regular doctor.

It went away about 5 days after that. when it came back I had a headache aswell so I thought it must be eye strain cause i got new galsses a year ago and I figured if the prescription isnt quite right that might be the cause. I got my eyes and checked and they're fine and so are my glasses.

At this point the feeling of heaviness in the back of my head was so bad that I was having trouble holding my head up. My dad suggested that it was my neck, may be I'd pinched a nerve or something.

I went to the doctor and at first she said it must be my ears but they look fine. She suggested it could be a virus affecting my ears. She did l alot of tests getting me to turn my head this way and that, stand up and sit etc. She said she doesn't think it is my ears since it doesn't get worse on turning my head like you'd expect with vertigo. I can shake my head and it doesn't feel worse or make me dizzy. It also doesn't change going from sitting/ lying to standing. She checked out my neck but I have no pain or numbness anywhere in my neck or along my spine (or anywhere).

She also did a load of blood tests for vitamin deficiency, thyroid etc. They all came back normal.

She sent me away with antibiotics incase I was developing an infection and told me to come back in a month.

I thought maybe Im stressed without really knowing it so I went down stay with my mam for the month but I still got it even there.

It'll go for a day or two but it always comes back.

I went back to the doctor and I was getting headaches too and she said maybe its just migraines but the headaches aren't severe enough to be migraines and I have no sensitivity to light at all. She told me to come back if it got worse.

It has gotten worse and when I went to her on Monday she referred me to a consultant but my appointment isn't until August next year, I wont be able to get a quicker appointment unless I have more serious symptoms.

Right now I still have the heavy feeling in the back of my head. If I try and hold my head up straight it starts to fall backwards. Or I try to lean forwards but then I start to sway backwards and forward until I have to stick my leg back to keep my balance. I've had people comment that I look drunk (which upsets me since I don't drink at all)

When I'm standing I have a feeling like Im being pulled backwards. If I don't stand with one leg extended back to balance myself I will actually fall flat on my back.

Even when I sitting I find it difficult to lean forwards and end up falling backward into the seat.

I still feel the weight when I'm lying down.

Its really starting to bother to me especially since yesterday I nearly feel down an escalator. I have to hold on going up stairs so I don't fall backwards, but I let go to answer my phone and right away I pitched backwards and if there hadn't been some to behind me I probably would of cracked my head open. Also I live I'm sick of people looking at me like I must be drunk or high because I swaying and nearly falling over the whole time.

What could it be?

It has to be something to do with my ears or my neck?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• did you manage to get the cause?
    i am also having the same problem.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 7, 2014
    • 06:42 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement