Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Stomach discomfort after eating

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: anna3899
  • December 22, 2006
  • 09:13 AM

I am a 48 year female. I had surgery in 1981 to remove my left ovary. Since then I have been having stomach problems. In 2002, I was in and out of the hospital for stomach pain. In 2003, my gastroenterologist informed me that I had gall stones and recommended surgery, I had surgery not only to remove the gall stones but to remove my gall bladder. I am still having stomach pain. Immediately after eating (especially starchy food) , I feel bloated and have that uneasy feeling in my stomach and the need to use the bathroom. My bowel movement is irregular. Sometimes I am constipated and sometimes I will have diarrhea. I also notice that I am shaking and get very anxious and feeling depressed. I am seeing a nutritionist and he prescribed hydrozyme which I take in the middle of the meal. I also take gastrozyme 30 minutes before meal. For my shaking and anxiety, I am taking gaba. The gaba seems to help. But after taking hydrozyme and gastrazyme for one month, I don't notice any improvement. Right now my blood sugar count is 116 and I am not sure if this is the reason why I am always having a head ache. My face and my neck look swollen and my legs always feel tired. I also feel numbness on my lips. I had a stress ekg which I passed. I also recently had a biopsy on my stomach which revealed that I had inflammation on my stomach. My parents both have heart problems. My mother had a bypass surgerery in 1990 and then died of cardiac arrest 10 years after. My paternal grandparents both died of stomach cancer. The discomfort in my stomach is affecting my social life. I can't go to dinner or parties because I always feel uncomfortable after I eat. With the holiday season, I can't even eat turkey with stuffing or dessert. Despite all these problems, I try to exercise regularly. Please help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• "especially starchy foods"Its not uncommon for people to develop an intolerence of certain types of food, especially following a stressful event like surgery. The most common food intolerences are milk and well, starchy foods (wheat gluten, corn, soy).Since a food intolerence is considered a lower intestinal disorder, it could contribute to gall stones. Actually, it could account for everything you named from the diarrhea/constipation (what a horrible combo, am I right? I've been there even though most people think its impossible!), anxiety, pain, numbness, shakiness, bloating, even to the doctors thinking you're just depressed. Insulin resistance (high blood sugar) could also be a cause or it could be another symptom caused by a food intolerence!The history of stomach cancer says loud and clear that you have some sort of digestive disorder running in your genes somewhere. If you're lucky, you can find the food that causes the disorder and eliminate it (and maybe save your whole family from misdiagnosis of various conditions). The problem with food intolerence is that it often creates thyroid and blood sugar problems and ends up being treated under the assumption that the thyroid and/or sugar problem is the only problem. Then all they can do is mask the symptoms!Unfortunately, gluten intolerence is the only one that has a good medically backed test (Celiac blood panel and/or gliadin fecal analysis). Otherwise, the best way to test for soy and corn intolerence is just a very strict diet and keeping track if the digestive symptoms change. The discomfort should change quickly after dietary success, but the secondary affects like trembling, weakness, and social anxiety can persist for years, just slowly getting better. The average length of time between the patient's first complaint and the final diagnosis is about 15 years. Why? Well some doctors still think food intolerence is a minor condition that affects like 1 in 4,000 people and can be 'grown out of' or treated with anti-depressants and pain relievers. The fact is that its a serious condition that affects mortality rates, leads to digestive and/or immune system cancer, chronic pain, and occurs in about 1 in 33 people (in one food form or another).
    Azaral 152 Replies
    • December 22, 2006
    • 02:42 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement