Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Frequent urination and unprovoked sexual stimulation

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Roberto551
  • July 1, 2009
  • 06:51 AM

I am a 35-year-old male and for several days now I've constantly felt a need to urinate, feel a slight tingling or sting in my urethra, and mild, unprovoked sensations of sexual stimulation. Can anyone tell me what this might be? I had an STD test three weeks ago--for Clamydia, Ghonoria, Herpes, Hepatitis A and B, HIV, and urinary tract infection--and everything was negative. The reason I had that test was that I had experienced, a week before, a bad stinging sensation on the head of my penis and itchiness all around the genitals, accompanied by this strange symptom of unprovoked sexual arousal, as if the nerves involved in orgasm were misfiring. These symptoms lasted a week.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I have to first brace myself, as I am about to go out on a limb here and will likely get burned at the stake by all putative MD members or guests of the forum. I will begin with a case of "unprovoked sexual arousal." The patient was a male, 35 years of age, and presented with the complaints of unprovoked sexual arousal and contractile spasms of the genital organ when unaroused. Initial history and physical examination, including rectal examination, was unrevealing. The patient was separated from a monogamous relationship and had no sexual history for the last few years. There was no reason to suspect STI. There were no urinary symptoms. Labs were unrevealing. The patient was advised to get urologic consultation if symptoms persisted but he never went as he did not think it was a urologic problem, but something to do with the nerves in the area. The patient consulted a neurologist for involuntary body movements mimicking myoclonus. The neurologic physical exam, EEG, CT scan, and MRI scan were all found to be normal. The neurologist advised the patient to see a psychiatrist, and the patient was placed on antipsychotics because he was found to believe that he was being "sexually attacked" by something (the diagnosis given was schizophrenia). At this time, the patient was also having pleasurable sensations in his anal area and was considerably distressed by this (the patient was exclusively heterosexual and never indulged in any anal activity). After 3 months, the patient discontinued the antipsychotic due to intolerable adverse effects. He consulted a different psychiatrist after some time, and was placed on an SSRI and clonazepam. After a few weeks, the patient started showing improvement. The sexual stimulation still occurred, but less often, and symptoms started to recede. Although 4 years later, the patient still has not had complete resolution of symptoms, he has been able to function and can deal with the residual problems. I mention this case history because, other than this post, there is another thread with posters describing unprovoked sexual stimulation. http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7725 I haven't looked for any threads with females describing similar complaints. Each of these cases has different histories and associated symptoms, but they all have in common the complaint of "unprovoked sexual stimulation." In the current post, the sexual symptoms lasted a week and it is not clear whether they are still continuing or have stopped completely. Now, this is the part where I am likely to be burned at the stake. My opinion is that this may be related to some as-yet unidentified medical disorder. The patients with these symptoms may undergo urologic and neurologic testing and these will be found normal. That will generally end in referral to a psychiatrist, with the patient receiving a "dustbin" psychiatric diagnosis, generally something-NOS at best and a psychotic disorder at worst, and being treated variably depending on the psychiatrist and the intensity of the patient's symptoms. The reason I postulate a possible medical disorder is due to the recent characterization of a similar disorder in females called "persistent sexual arousal disorder." I believe that there is possibly a male counterpart to this disorder (not to be confused with priapism) that has not yet been identified. I am not aware of any research occurring in this area, and, of course, have no evidence to back this up. This is pure speculation on my part. Turning to the practical aspect of the case, in this case I think that the poster should consult with their physician if symptoms continue. If the physician deems fit, a neurologic and urologic investigation may be done, although I doubt anything will be found. The next step would be a psychiatric consultation. Despite a total lack of understanding of the pathophysiology of the disorder, it is possible that treatment with antidepressant of the SSRI class with or without long acting benzodiazepine may be helpful. Disclaimer: This article is written for informational purposes only. Much of it is speculative and involves invalid generalizations. It should not be construed as accepted medical or treatment advice. Please consult your physician for proper diagnosis and treatment.
    m3dh31p 69 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your these comments, m3dh31p. Yesterday I came across a description of "persistent sexual arousal disorder," and it indeed sounds like a female version of what I'm experiencing, although my own unprovoked stimulation seems milder (now, but not before) and more intermittent than that of the cases I read about.What is driving me crazy is this constant urge to urinate and the sting in my urethra, which today has gotten worse. Yesterday I saw a nurse at my University health center who, when I told her I've been able to sleep through the night, became convinced that my symptoms are psychological, brought on by stress. My assurances that I had not been under stress did nothing to change her opinion, and she didn't seem open to more discussion. She told me I could see a urologist whose next available appointment is August 6! I think tomorrow I need to go back there and be seen by someone else. After the reading I've done online, I'm thinking I need to be checked for prostatitis and kidney stones and then go from there. Thank you again for your help! If you or anyone else have further ideas about this, I would love to hear them.
    Roberto551 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your these comments, m3dh31p. Yesterday I came across a description of "persistent sexual arousal disorder," and it indeed sounds like a female version of what I'm experiencing, although my own unprovoked stimulation seems milder (now, but not before) and more intermittent than that of the cases I read about.What is driving me crazy is this constant urge to urinate and the sting in my urethra, which today has gotten worse. Yesterday I saw a nurse at my University health center who, when I told her I've been able to sleep through the night, became convinced that my symptoms are psychological, brought on by stress. My assurances that I had not been under stress did nothing to change her opinion, and she didn't seem open to more discussion. She told me I could see a urologist whose next available appointment is August 6! I think tomorrow I need to go back there and be seen by someone else. After the reading I've done online, I'm thinking I need to be checked for prostatitis and kidney stones and then go from there. Thank you again for your help! If you or anyone else have further ideas about this, I would love to hear them. I think I am also having this problem. It happened when I was 15, and warning this has made me severely depressed and confused. But I was watching late tv like any other day looking for a chance to see a naked girl. As far as i know, i have never gotten an erection or turned on by watching anything with a naked guy or gay. I even watched ****r as foke to see the two lesbians, so i was pretty comfortable with my sexuality. But on this night i came across a show that pertained two guys, i felt unconvertible watching like i usually would, but i was curious to see if they were gay. I was feeling fine, but all off a sudden one guy touched the other and all of a sudden my penis was pulsating, but i didn't have any emotional attachment to it. I just felt uncovertable because that had never happened before. I was terrified, it felt like i was being forced to be stimulated while watching someone being brutally murdered. The next mourning i was stressed to ***l. I had a dream of laying in the snow and the pulsations occurred again, but in my dream there was nothing sexual at all, at the same time i was just so scared it would happen again. For the next couple weeks, i was so depressed because it just didn't make any sense to what happened. I even tried to see if i was gay by watching more gay stuff, and lot of naked guys, but i was never stimulated again. After a while a felt ok because i knew that girls still very much turned me on i i still have never had an erection from looking at a guy no matter how hard i tried. I count three times since then i have a had dreams about two guys. In the dreams i am very distressed, and i see two guys and i get afraid that they are gay, and i start to pulsate in my dream while everything just feels like a nightmare. I am now twenty and it has happened again. I started to dwell on what happened to my body at 15, and wondered why if i wasn't gay, why did i start to pulsate with no real attraction to the events. With this in mind i tried to watch gay scenes and for the most part i felt nothing, but i came upon one that made me feel very unconfortable and i started to pulsate again. I watched it over and over to figure out what was causing this. I realized that if i kept my breath steady i was able to watch the whole thing (full on ****o) with out any sexual feeling. I even put it to a full test, and i tried to masturbate to it but i couldn't even get an erection. I was still very stressed when i went to work and then the pulsations continued when ever i thought about the pulsations or scared of being gay. I was almost able to make them happen, an during this whole time little dribbles of pee kept coming out, and had i an itchy feeling in the urethra. Because these pulsation still feel physically very good i was in sex mode the whole time, and wanted to just grab any girl and have sex with her. But again it occurred because i could force to happen or i was afraid they would happen. The pulsations even occurred while standing next to a very old man. I was on my way home and the pulsation were occurring because i was afraid i would masterbate to these feelings, and i have before but it just feels so wrong. So i went on youtube looked up any gay scene that would get them started, but they stopped. It would look as if when i try to get turned on by gay stuff i can' t,and when i am scared of being turned on by gay stuff the pulsations occur. As long as a am not scared of the gay stuff i don't get turned on. I watched about 20 youtube videos, and never got any pulsations or turned on to anything. This has got me rattled because it is killing me to have any sexual feeling towards the same sex. I have no emotional feelings or atrraction to the same sex, as i said before i can't get erections from them. After all this i am going to guess these pulsations happen from sexual stress. I can remember as a kid my first sight of homosexuality, at the age of 9 or 10 from a tv documentary. I saw a guy kiss another guy and i felt a little terrified or just scared like kind of like watching a child get beaten to death, a very uncomfortable feeling. I am guessing my brain just didn't comprehend what was going on and it scared me. Nothing like my first lesbian scene on the Jerry Springer, i remember really liking it right away. This was about the time i was watching wrestling just for the female wreslters. Any way, anytime i saw a gay scene after that i turned away from it right away because it just gave me a frightning feeling. Around the age of thirteen i began feeling ok watching gay stuff, but still didn't feel comfortable watching it. Than finally at fifteen the pulsation start. I want to say the pulsations occur because my body doesn't know how to deal with this fright feeling, but as long as i feel comfortable about it the pulsations do not ocur. Lately i have had dwelled on it because i still don't know why they occured from gay stuff, and i had the most terrible dream, and during the dream i was pulsating because there was a gay monster telling me to. Again this is such a horrible feeling when it occurs the way it does. I think i need some help, and i want to get some.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2009
    • 07:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Bro, ur probably bisexual -- Its no big deal! -- Though I believe you tend to lean more towards guys. You are definately NOT str8, otherwise you wouldnt even be watching ANYTHING thats gay.. on YouTube or any ***n, & certaintly not masterbating to them. -- Accept it, accept your attractions to men, & have fun! -- You know what I am saying is the truth, & you know you are still watching gay ***n. -Now, just wait till you have your first gay sexual experience. - You will wonder how you ever did without it! :)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I think I am also having this problem. It happened when I was 15, and warning this has made me severely depressed and confused. But I was watching late tv like any other day looking for a chance to see a naked girl. As far as i know, i have never gotten an erection or turned on by watching anything with a naked guy or gay. I even watched ****r as foke to see the two lesbians, so i was pretty comfortable with my sexuality. But on this night i came across a show that pertained two guys, i felt unconvertible watching like i usually would, but i was curious to see if they were gay. I was feeling fine, but all off a sudden one guy touched the other and all of a sudden my penis was pulsating, but i didn't have any emotional attachment to it. I just felt uncovertable because that had never happened before. I was terrified, it felt like i was being forced to be stimulated while watching someone being brutally murdered. The next mourning i was stressed to ***l. I had a dream of laying in the snow and the pulsations occurred again, but in my dream there was nothing sexual at all, at the same time i was just so scared it would happen again. For the next couple weeks, i was so depressed because it just didn't make any sense to what happened. I even tried to see if i was gay by watching more gay stuff, and lot of naked guys, but i was never stimulated again. After a while a felt ok because i knew that girls still very much turned me on i i still have never had an erection from looking at a guy no matter how hard i tried. I count three times since then i have a had dreams about two guys. In the dreams i am very distressed, and i see two guys and i get afraid that they are gay, and i start to pulsate in my dream while everything just feels like a nightmare. I am now twenty and it has happened again. I started to dwell on what happened to my body at 15, and wondered why if i wasn't gay, why did i start to pulsate with no real attraction to the events. With this in mind i tried to watch gay scenes and for the most part i felt nothing, but i came upon one that made me feel very unconfortable and i started to pulsate again. I watched it over and over to figure out what was causing this. I realized that if i kept my breath steady i was able to watch the whole thing (full on ****o) with out any sexual feeling. I even put it to a full test, and i tried to masturbate to it but i couldn't even get an erection. I was still very stressed when i went to work and then the pulsations continued when ever i thought about the pulsations or scared of being gay. I was almost able to make them happen, an during this whole time little dribbles of pee kept coming out, and had i an itchy feeling in the urethra. Because these pulsation still feel physically very good i was in sex mode the whole time, and wanted to just grab any girl and have sex with her. But again it occurred because i could force to happen or i was afraid they would happen. The pulsations even occurred while standing next to a very old man. I was on my way home and the pulsation were occurring because i was afraid i would masterbate to these feelings, and i have before but it just feels so wrong. So i went on youtube looked up any gay scene that would get them started, but they stopped. It would look as if when i try to get turned on by gay stuff i can' t,and when i am scared of being turned on by gay stuff the pulsations occur. As long as a am not scared of the gay stuff i don't get turned on. I watched about 20 youtube videos, and never got any pulsations or turned on to anything. This has got me rattled because it is killing me to have any sexual feeling towards the same sex. I have no emotional feelings or atrraction to the same sex, as i said before i can't get erections from them. After all this i am going to guess these pulsations happen from sexual stress. I can remember as a kid my first sight of homosexuality, at the age of 9 or 10 from a tv documentary. I saw a guy kiss another guy and i felt a little terrified or just scared like kind of like watching a child get beaten to death, a very uncomfortable feeling. I am guessing my brain just didn't comprehend what was going on and it scared me. Nothing like my first lesbian scene on the Jerry Springer, i remember really liking it right away. This was about the time i was watching wrestling just for the female wreslters. Any way, anytime i saw a gay scene after that i turned away from it right away because it just gave me a frightning feeling. Around the age of thirteen i began feeling ok watching gay stuff, but still didn't feel comfortable watching it. Than finally at fifteen the pulsation start. I want to say the pulsations occur because my body doesn't know how to deal with this fright feeling, but as long as i feel comfortable about it the pulsations do not ocur. Lately i have had dwelled on it because i still don't know why they occured from gay stuff, and i had the most terrible dream, and during the dream i was pulsating because there was a gay monster telling me to. Again this is such a horrible feeling when it occurs the way it does. I think i need some help, and i want to get some.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2011
    • 08:00 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement