Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Unexplained fever, dizziness, lightheadedness

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: jsieleman75
  • June 30, 2009
  • 01:52 PM

Hello. I'm hoping that someone has shared my same frustrating experience to help shed a little light on my issues.

I'm a 33, almost 34 year old mother of 2 boys, ages 7 1/2 and 13 months.

My 13 month old rarely slept more than an hour at a time until he turned 1 and therefore I have not had a decent nights sleep in a very long time. This is probably part 1 of my problem. I nursed until May 3rd, he turned 1 on May 22nd. Due to thrush, both in my son's mouth and on my breasts, I quit early so that we could kill the bacteria.

Going back to 1/22/09, the first time I went to the doc for my symptoms...

Generally, my temperature is somewhere between 96.7 and 97.2...always has been every time I take my own or go to the doc, since I was a little kid. So anything above that and I usually know something is wrong...I feel bad before I even know my temp is above that.

Anyhow, my temp was 99.8 when I went to the doc. My blood pressure was a lot lower than normal. I'm normally 120/80...it was 98/67. I went in because I was feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, my hands had gone extremely cold while at work and I thought I was going to pass out (I actually put my head between my knees sitting at my desk)...that is when they took my temp and said I had a fever. Strange for me...I'm never sick. I usually get the flu once a year and then I'm good the other 360+ days of the year, depending on how long the flu lasts.

My doc asked a bunch of questions and looked in my ears and said I had a murky fluid in them and they were infected...Ah, the reason I'm dizzy, a double ear infection!! YEAH ~ an answer!! Gave me a Z-pack and I was on my way.

This same senario has happened about 8 more times in the last 5 months...the lightheaded, dizziness, unsteadiness has not gone away, I live with it every day, I still get what I call "episodes" where it is worse...those are the times my hands either go cold or I get really warm and feel flushed and want to pass out or rather, feel like passing out.

After the so-called double ear infection, I came back to a different doc, mine wasn't available, as I was still having symptoms. I presented with a low-grade fever again...99.4. She said no infection left, but still fluid in my ears, gave me a different medication.

A few weeks later I had another episode. Temp was 99.2. Ears were fine. My blood pressure was elevated at 139/96. Went to the 2nd doc again, she drew blood and sent me for a CT scan. I was a hold and call. I was released with an antibiotic and a prescription of 15 days of fluconozole for the thrush.

A week or so later, my Mom and I were eating lunch and I had a horrible "episode" at the restaurant so much that I couldn't eat. I called the doc and they couldn't get me in until 3:45 that afternoon. It was 11:15am. I contemplated going to the ER...my Mom took me. They drew blood, pressed on my stomach, etc. They tested me for diabetes. He also thought maybe it was my gallbladder since I was eating when this happened. My gallbladder didn't hurt. It had nothing to do with me eating. It was dizziness, lightheadedness, feeling faint. I had a temperature of 98.6. Ultrasound of my gallbladder was done. Nothing found. Now while I admit that these "episodes" do make me anxious when they happen, it is not anxiety that brings them on. I have had anxiety before...I know what it feels like. These happen when I'm busy, I'm thinking about my work that I'm doing, etc. When I had anxiety, it was because I was thinking of what I should do, worrying, etc. This ER doc made me feel like an idiot and basically told me nothing was wrong with me and that I was probably just anxious. On my checkout papers it said they treated me for fever.

My husband and I took a trip to Florida at the end of May and I wanted to make sure my ears were fine before flying with all of this supposed ear infection junk so I scheduled an appt. with an ENT.

He told me that my ears were fine. I never had an ear infection if I didn't lose hearing. So this made me more confused. If no ear infections, than what? Do I trust my regular doc and the other doc in her office? They said I had ear infections and murky fluid in there...the ER doc said nothing was wrong with me...is nothing wrong with me? But I have a fever...

The ENT suggested my imbalance may be viral labyrithitis. If it didn't get better he wanted to schedule a balance test at the hospital. He tested me for BPPV, but I knew it wasn't that, as I had that a couple years ago and had physical therapy to teach me the exercises to correct it and I remember what the dizziness felt like. My eyes felt like they were jiggling in my head and this is different.

We left for vacation, I still felt dizzy and lightheaded.

We came back from vacation and I had another "episode" maybe a week and a half later. I went to my normal doc again. My fever was 99.4. My blood pressure was a little elevated at 128/86. I began crying because I'm so frustrated. I told her that I feel crazy other than having a fever. She even told me she would think it was anxiety if I hadn't had the fever. She drew up some different blood work than they did before and ordered an MRI. She also setup an appt. for me with a Neurologist.

Blood tests were all negative. I know they checked my Thyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis and hormonal issues given I had a baby 13 months ago. They checked my white blood cell count 6.2 - normal. Not sure what else. They suggested it may be autoimmune and may put me on 5 days of steriods to see if I feel better. They may also want to rule out my kidneys, but haven't done so yet.

I had the MRI it was unremarkable other than showing I have sinus disease. She ordered me a 10 day supply of Bactrim.

I have no signs of a sinus problem. My nose is not full, does not drain down my throat or otherwise, I have no pressure behind my maxillary sinuses, nothing.

She wanted me to keep my appt. with the Neurologist. That is on 7/15.

I have been on the meds for 4 days and have no signs of improvement yet.

I do not like putting pills in my body and have been extremely medicated this past 5 months.

Sorry for the long post just wondering if anyone has had this...if it all could be caused by exhaustion or if you have any ideas of what is afflicting me.

Thank you so much for reading this and God bless you!!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement