Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Heavy, achy calves

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: incircles
  • June 25, 2009
  • 05:56 PM

This first happened last May, rather spontanteously. My legs suddenly felt stiff and achy, and I thought the best thing to fix that would be to stretch and go to the climbing gym. After five minutes on the wall, I realized my mistake. I was walking like a newborn deer for four or five days, with unbearable heavy aching that kept me awake at night. My legs also felt shaky and did, in fact, shake.

This happened again in July. Since then, the achiness has been relatively subdued, and I've been able to get back to doing things like going to rock shows, standing up and playing in bands, doing the elliptical machine for 10-15 minutes three times a week, etc. Sometimes my calves will burn, especially when driving, playing the piano, or playing drums, but most of the achiness I've felt in the last six months has been "normal," e.g. the product of, say, being on my feet for 6 hours. Sometimes my ankles will itch deep inside, in a way that can't be scratched, and sometimes my legs will feel heavier than they should, but nothing TOO unbearable.

I've been going to physical therapy for my back for the last few months. They think it's just postural, but one person there thinks the calf sensitivity might be spinal.

Saturday I danced for an hour or so -- nothing too crazy -- and didn't do too much else until I got on the elliptical for 7 minutes on Wednesday. Only 7 minutes! I still felt fine. I then went to physical therapy for my back, and an hour later my calves were heavy, achy, and shaky in that awful way again, completely unlike the good burn or pain that seems to indicate a workout (keep in mind that until all this started happening, i was in great shape and very familiar with post-workout soreness). I haven't slept well for three days now. Elevating my legs and rubbing menthol on them helps, but they still feel intensely "nauseated," I suppose. Very heavy, very shaky, but not *painful* per se.

I've seen a neurologist, a rheumatologist, and an orthopedic surgeon. All of them say I need to just keep working out. I've had a calf MRI, a muscle biopsy, and bloodwork. Everything seems normal. I have *not* had a spinal MRI or any cardiological tests. Any opinions on whether these would be good things to pursue? The current episode is KILLING me.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement