Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Frequent bloody noses

• Posted By: and1m1ke10
  • December 20, 2006
  • 01:51 AM

i keep getting bloody noses about everyday. Some days i get 2 bloody noses. today was one of those days again and i had enough of it. my dr has no idea what this could be and only gave me medicine for my congestion. I've been getting these bloody noses for almost 4 weeks. I need to now how i could stop this. Somebody please help me out.
~MIKE~
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• go to another doctor, it sounds like a common problem, when there's a vein/artery very close to the inside surface of the skin in your nose. The doctor will corterise it, and stop the bleeds. I don't remember the name, but there's a name for this problem. I can't believe he'd give you medication like that, it could make it worse by drying it out, they already bleed really easily...that's probably WHY it's been going on so long! I'm sorry you are dealing with such a pain in the butt.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 03:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Epitaxis is the clinical term - just means bleeding from the nose....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 10:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like you've checked with a doctor and ruled out any medical issues that might cause the nosebleeds. I've also had bad bloody noses since I was a little kid and continue to have them as an adult. No underlying cause was ever identified, which was amazing to me because (like I always told them!) they are really bad! Think streaming blood that soaks through dozens of kleenex wads, runs down my face and onto my clothes before I can get to a tissue (or napkin, or paper towel, or any other absorptive material). When trying to stop it by applying pressure, tilting my head back, etc, I end up swallowing a ton of blood as it backs up in my nose and runs down my throat, along with great gobs of bloody mucus. Completely gross and really interrupted my life at times, because, like you, I often have multiple bleeds per day. Seems amazing that this could be normal, or at least not caused by some terrible disease. I've had multiple blood vessels cauterized over the years, and that might be indicated in your case as well. It does work pretty well but is obviously an unpleasant procedure and it is inevitable that the problem will reoccur. It does buy you some time, tough. The last doctor I went to said that I had a bad infection in the mucosa all inside my nose, which is apparently thin and fragile anyway. He cauterized one vessel that was causing the current bleeds and told me to use an antibiotic ointment in the nose to treat the infection. He suggested applying it multiple times per day for several weeks and then appying it at least morning and night thereafter to prevent the problem. It really worked! Haven't had any severe problems or needed another cauterization since then (about 5 or so years). I'm not great about doing this every day, but as soon as I start to have bleeds I start applying it regularly again. Seems to stop the irration to the vessels before they get to the point where they bleed nonstop and get infected, etc. It takes a good size blob to really coat each nostril and it feels a bit odd for a minute, but the excess is absorbed really quickly (so it doesn't look like your nose is stuffed with goop) and the tissue remains moisturized for a couple of hours. It really suprised me that such a large amount would only last a matter of hours before my nose was bone dry again and threatening to crack open and bleed. So I carry a tube in my bag so that I can apply it during the day when needed during a bad spell. Seems like a hassle, but it is more comfortable to have some moisture in there; I only realized this after I started using the ointment. I don't know why, but I've concluded that my nasal mucosa really doesn't secrete enough mucus/moisture to maintain itself. My nose seems to secrete pure blood instead. BTW, the doctor (and separately my mother, a RN derm nurse) suggested using a bacitracin ointment versus a triple antibiotic ointment like neosporin. Apparently bacitracin is more effective against gram positives like staph that would be expected to infect nasal mucosa. Both bacitracin and neosporin contain bactracin zine and polymyxin; there is a third antibiotic in neosporin (neomycin) in triple abx ointment that many people are/become allergic to over time. This causes mild inflammation, redness, and sensitivity--exactly what is being treated in the first place--so that it appears to not be working, so many people conclude that abx ointment does not work. Good luck!
    jamesag 1 Replies
    • November 19, 2007
    • 01:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Drink half your weight (pounds) in oz. of water every day.It's about 8 glasses of 8 oz each. Start slowly...add a pinch of sea salt to the pitcher.Look at your lips- you sound like you are dry.Take care.Fruity.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 19, 2007
    • 06:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • when i bend over and get up, i get light headed, dizzy, and my nose starts to bleed pretty heavy. what is can cause this to happen?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • when i bend over and get up, i get light headed, dizzy, and my nose starts to bleed pretty heavy. what is can cause this to happen?Hopefully you have gone to your doctor to have your blood pressure checked. Also dryness of cold weather. Use a humidifier. I also had bloody nose problem when I was a kid, but who knows what the problem was?Now much later in my years, I began to have very frequent nose bleeds. I finally went to my doctor he checked my blood pressure and prescribed some BP medication and they stopped. However, now I have a cold with conjestion and here are the severe nosebleeds again. This morning I had another non-stop-nosebleed. I was able to get up and go into the bathroom and I just let it bleed down my chin into the sink. I finally poked around in the nostril and a huge 3 - 4" blood clot came out THEN THE BLEEDING STOPPED!Good luck to you, and let us know what steps you have taken to rid yourself of this problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2009
    • 08:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am also one that gets bloody noses. I get them what seems to be less severely than most of you. but i must say it gets irritating. I go about my day regularly, but at least once a day i have to stop whatever I'm doing and put my attention on stopping blood from pouring out of my nose. It's done in usually about five to ten minutes. But this seems to happen at all of the worst times. The other day, I was in the middle of a 100 question timed test and sure enough, I got a bloody nose and wasted at least fifteen minutes taking care of it in the bathroom at school. Sometimes, like today, I get more than one. I had 4 bloody noses over the course of the day today and one of them was a double bloody nose. I have heard of getting it cauterized, my cousin had that done and has had no problems since. That was over five years ago. But I am not familiar with the procedural process, or with the symptoms that show that cauterization is truly necessary.My father also gets nosebleeds, but he attributes them to his lack of sleep . I notice that I get them more frequently when I don't sleep well. For instance, last night I got about 5 hours of sleep, and as you now know, today wasn't too pleasant. Please if anyone has any advice or anything to share, help me out. Thank you.
  • So I have been getting bloody noses everyday for the past week. I also used to get them when i was younger. Although the bloody noses are not painful themselves I have been experiencing what feels like an ear infection and constant headache. Not sure what this could be, I'm not able to get to the doctor so any sincere input would be appreciated.
  • I have been getting bloody noses after traveling. (odd, huh?) Does anyone else have strangely related activities that involve you getting a nose bleed, or maybe during stressful times?
    harlamar 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too get bloody noses regularly (every other day). My father had it, I have it, and now my son, but he is not as often as mine. I have noticed that using a nasal spray with some type of moisturizer works well, but it is not recommended for a long length of time on continuous use. So it comes right back, I thought about cauterizing, but I do not think it will help.
  • I am also one that gets bloody noses. I get them what seems to be less severely than most of you. but i must say it gets irritating. I go about my day regularly, but at least once a day i have to stop whatever I'm doing and put my attention on stopping blood from pouring out of my nose. It's done in usually about five to ten minutes. But this seems to happen at all of the worst times. The other day, I was in the middle of a 100 question timed test and sure enough, I got a bloody nose and wasted at least fifteen minutes taking care of it in the bathroom at school. Sometimes, like today, I get more than one. I had 4 bloody noses over the course of the day today and one of them was a double bloody nose. I have heard of getting it cauterized, my cousin had that done and has had no problems since. That was over five years ago. But I am not familiar with the procedural process, or with the symptoms that show that cauterization is truly necessary.My father also gets nosebleeds, but he attributes them to his lack of sleep . I notice that I get them more frequently when I don't sleep well. For instance, last night I got about 5 hours of sleep, and as you now know, today wasn't too pleasant. Please if anyone has any advice or anything to share, help me out. Thank you.I have the exact same problem, since i was a kid. It has definitely interfered with my life and would also want to do something about it. I think my problem might be hereditary. My father had it, I have it, my son, and my brothers and there boys. But none of the girls get bloody noses. GO FIGURE
    AZ guy 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Well it is very serious problem. It can cause a infection and lots of weakness in mind. So i suggest you to keep your head cool. As if you go out in sun you should wrap your head with wet cloth or napkin. Also smell means take breathe of ice and give pressure to on your sinus with ice. That will greatly help you.
    rooshidavid 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been getting bloody noses after traveling. (odd, huh?) Does anyone else have strangely related activities that involve you getting a nose bleed, or maybe during stressful times?I recently got back from Europe and i got a head cold while i was there. not a really bad one but a pretty good one and was coughing and blowing my nose alot. Well i started getting sick in Scotland and had to fly down to London, well as soon as i got into my room in London i got a really bad nose bleed, it lasted for a good 15 mins or so. the sink in the bathroom looked like a murder scene lol.so i didnt have any for the rest of my trip. so a week goes by and im leaving to come home, i had to connect once i landed in the states and i had to run to my gate, i get on the plane and into my seat, 5 mins later i start bleeding again. and this was the worst one yet. i was prepared and had a box of tissue in my laptop case thankfully. lol. and the flight assitant brought over a trash bag as soon as she saw me with my bloody tissue. the first day of being back i had 2 nose bleeds and then one on the second day. after that i havent had one since. but i really think it has to do with flying and i probably have to have the vessel treated by a doc since it gets really bad and just pours out of my nose like crazy.
  • when i was about 10 i bashed my nose pretty good in a car accident. I didn't break it but as far as i can remember that's when i started getting most nose bleeds. they are usually far apart but recently i had 4 in 4 days. One was just random, one was while i was out golfing, one was while i was working, and another while i was sleeping. For one of them it was a different nostril. The weather has changed. what is the cause of my nose bleeds?
  • If you get frequent nose bleeds, and _especially_ if you have a blood-relative who does also, check out HHT.org. Frequent nosebleeds are very common in people who have HHT, but HHT is rare (est. 1 in 5,000 ppl or less). Check out the rest of the symptoms to see if it fits you. Nosebleeds are just an indicator- the usual danger of the disease is elsewhere. It is treatable though.Good luck,-Michael
  • Has anyone considered Anemia, Leukemia as causes for the frequent bloody noses?
  • I am also one that gets bloody noses. I get them what seems to be less severely than most of you. but i must say it gets irritating. I go about my day regularly, but at least once a day i have to stop whatever I'm doing and put my attention on stopping blood from pouring out of my nose. It's done in usually about five to ten minutes. But this seems to happen at all of the worst times. The other day, I was in the middle of a 100 question timed test and sure enough, I got a bloody nose and wasted at least fifteen minutes taking care of it in the bathroom at school. Sometimes, like today, I get more than one. I had 4 bloody noses over the course of the day today and one of them was a double bloody nose. I have heard of getting it cauterized, my cousin had that done and has had no problems since. That was over five years ago. But I am not familiar with the procedural process, or with the symptoms that show that cauterization is truly necessary.My father also gets nosebleeds, but he attributes them to his lack of sleep . I notice that I get them more frequently when I don't sleep well. For instance, last night I got about 5 hours of sleep, and as you now know, today wasn't too pleasant. Please if anyone has any advice or anything to share, help me out. Thank you.I don't have a sallution to your problem. but i have bloody noses about 2 times a week for the past three weeks. last night i had two bloody noses, the second one, both nostrals were bleeding. that usually doesnt happen to me. my dad also has bloody noses, but not as often as far as i know. my friends say they've never had a bloody nose. i just want to find out if i'm OK or not.
  • Sounds like you've checked with a doctor and ruled out any medical issues that might cause the nosebleeds. I've also had bad bloody noses since I was a little kid and continue to have them as an adult. No underlying cause was ever identified, which was amazing to me because (like I always told them!) they are really bad! Think streaming blood that soaks through dozens of kleenex wads, runs down my face and onto my clothes before I can get to a tissue (or napkin, or paper towel, or any other absorptive material). When trying to stop it by applying pressure, tilting my head back, etc, I end up swallowing a ton of blood as it backs up in my nose and runs down my throat, along with great gobs of bloody mucus. Completely gross and really interrupted my life at times, because, like you, I often have multiple bleeds per day. Seems amazing that this could be normal, or at least not caused by some terrible disease. I've had multiple blood vessels cauterized over the years, and that might be indicated in your case as well. It does work pretty well but is obviously an unpleasant procedure and it is inevitable that the problem will reoccur. It does buy you some time, tough. The last doctor I went to said that I had a bad infection in the mucosa all inside my nose, which is apparently thin and fragile anyway. He cauterized one vessel that was causing the current bleeds and told me to use an antibiotic ointment in the nose to treat the infection. He suggested applying it multiple times per day for several weeks and then appying it at least morning and night thereafter to prevent the problem. It really worked! Haven't had any severe problems or needed another cauterization since then (about 5 or so years). I'm not great about doing this every day, but as soon as I start to have bleeds I start applying it regularly again. Seems to stop the irration to the vessels before they get to the point where they bleed nonstop and get infected, etc. It takes a good size blob to really coat each nostril and it feels a bit odd for a minute, but the excess is absorbed really quickly (so it doesn't look like your nose is stuffed with goop) and the tissue remains moisturized for a couple of hours. It really suprised me that such a large amount would only last a matter of hours before my nose was bone dry again and threatening to crack open and bleed. So I carry a tube in my bag so that I can apply it during the day when needed during a bad spell. Seems like a hassle, but it is more comfortable to have some moisture in there; I only realized this after I started using the ointment. I don't know why, but I've concluded that my nasal mucosa really doesn't secrete enough mucus/moisture to maintain itself. My nose seems to secrete pure blood instead. BTW, the doctor (and separately my mother, a RN derm nurse) suggested using a bacitracin ointment versus a triple antibiotic ointment like neosporin. Apparently bacitracin is more effective against gram positives like staph that would be expected to infect nasal mucosa. Both bacitracin and neosporin contain bactracin zine and polymyxin; there is a third antibiotic in neosporin (neomycin) in triple abx ointment that many people are/become allergic to over time. This causes mild inflammation, redness, and sensitivity--exactly what is being treated in the first place--so that it appears to not be working, so many people conclude that abx ointment does not work. Good luck!This is the best response. I also have had chronic nosebleeds since about kindergarten and have seen doctors about them (especially when it lasted 3 hrs one morning). They have told me that my nose gets too dry and to attempt to keep it moist using antibiotic ointment, vaseline, saline solution, etc. I had my nose cauterized at one point and it lasted a good while but recently the bleeds have started again. I recommend that when a nosebleed occurs and looks to be a long one you take a small rectangle of paper towel or tissue and make it slightly damp. then roll it (like a snake or cigarette) and place it under your top lip. Then apply pressure while pinching your nose like you normally would during a nosebleed. There is a vein that runs through there and this process significantly reduces the amount of time it takes for a nosebleed to run its course. Also to the unregistered user above the proper name is Epistaxis not Epitaxis. Epitaxis is the process of creating a filament or film on a substrate... :)~*ABBEY*~reedsuckerclassof2009@gmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 02:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i keep getting bloody noses about everyday. Some days i get 2 bloody noses. today was one of those days again and i had enough of it. my dr has no idea what this could be and only gave me medicine for my congestion. I've been getting these bloody noses for almost 4 weeks. I need to now how i could stop this. Somebody please help me out.~MIKE~ http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gif Hey i know how you feel, ive suffered from blood noses my whole life, and i probably will for the rest of it, i have no disease and i am perfectly healthy, however theres not much i can do about them. they can start or stop un-provoked and without warning, the doctors are baffled, ive had it quaterized 5 times! and im only 15! ive been on courses with pills, the strange thing is my blood isnt overally thin or thick, anyways, during my times with blood noses i have learnt numerous methods to stop them quickly. i know it sounds strange but if your like me, when a clot forms or comes up, take it out immediately instead of letting set and dry, for some reason as soon as i get the clot out it stops almost immediately, i dont believe in pinching it because i have only found that it has made it worse, however cooling your nose with ice is advised, something that helps even more is cooling your body itself, this is if its a hot day or you have been running or exercising, do not tilt your head back, beacuse the blood will run down your throat and potentially make you sick, not to mention it tastes and feels damned disgusting! have you evered considered using toilet paper as a stopper? it sounds strange but if you scrunch part of a length up and stick it into your nose it will soak all the blood inside, if you do this with 2 pieces you can get a cycle going, leave one in for the duration it takes for you to make a new ball, then take the old one out and put the new one in....and you do this until it stops, i find it easiest as opposed to holding a tissue there all day...anyways...goodluck....i hope this helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2011
    • 10:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • So I have been getting bloody noses everyday for the past week. I also used to get them when i was younger. Although the bloody noses are not painful themselves I have been experiencing what feels like an ear infection and constant headache. Not sure what this could be, I'm not able to get to the doctor so any sincere input would be appreciated.Sounds like you have chronic sinusitis. See and ENT doctor. Hope this helps.
    Crashtestaddict 1 Replies
    • February 19, 2013
    • 04:28 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement