Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Molluscum Contagiosum question

Posted In: Skin conditions 1,826 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 18, 2006
  • 06:51 AM

I contracted molluscum contagiosum on my genital area 2 years ago, and I got it treated with liquid nitrogen, and it was quick, easy and went away within 2-3 days after the brief 10 minute session.
Well now out of nowhere, it has came back. I've read on the internet saying it can be spread through towels and clothing.
But the question I have is, if you've had molluscum contagiosum and it can be spread through clothes, 'Does the virus stay in your clothes even after washing them?'
Because I have been wearing an old pair of pants the last while and coincidentally the virus arose again. If it stays in clothing i'm going to get a new wardrobe. Hopefully i'm completely wrong though. Anyone know the answer?

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • That would be very scary if molluscum could live on clothes for 2 years. I have molluscum and was very upset to hear how long it takes to go away. I had mine frozen and more came after those. I am currently putting duck tape over each individual bump (about 25) it takes a long time. I don't know what will work. In response to your question I was wondering if you have been with the same sexual partner or have you been with this person again? Maybe, did you not notice tiny bumps over the years and just happened to notice a larger one recently? From what I have learned this seems to be a common virus, so you could have even got it from a new partner. Are you in frequent contact with a particular person that may have it and has not treated it. I would greatly appreciate a response because I can't get support from anyone on this matter. I hope my suggestions will help to figure out where your reaccurence has come from.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2007
    • 09:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Molluscum is very tricky to get rid off but I've never heard of the virus living longer than 24 in clothing or towels. Covering the spots up is probably the best thing that you can do so you don't accidently spread them around. I tried 4 different types of treatments (nitrogen, acid, cutting, and also aldera). I think going to the dermatologist was the best thing I could have done since the creams took a long time to work and I did not like the nitrogen or acid treatments. Here is a really great website and resource.http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/molluscum/faq/everyone.htm#avoidspread
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 03:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for the website link, I actually have been there before, very helpful. If you wouldn't mind, I was wondering how long you had the bumps and when did they go away? Was it overnight? Did they just stop reappearing after getting them treated at the derm? How long have they been gone for? Everyone I have heard from only currently has them, is not rid of them. I hope these aren't too many Q's but did you end up spreading it to any family members?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 05:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had them for 7 months. I went to the doctor once a week and treated at home as well. I was very aggressive in my treatments. My doctors often did not understand why the bumps bothered me so much but we took care of it.No one else caught the bumps since I made sure to keep any of the affected areas under clothing. The bumps would take forever to heal and felt like they kept spreading. At first they were contained in the genitals but them my stomach and legs got them as well. I put the aldera cream on the new bumps as soon as I saw one starting and that really helped speed up my recovery time. Also, I used the aldera cream EVERYWHERE... not just were I saw bumps. This helped prevent the spreading of bumps. I hope this helps.Thank you for the website link, I actually have been there before, very helpful. If you wouldn't mind, I was wondering how long you had the bumps and when did they go away? Was it overnight? Did they just stop reappearing after getting them treated at the derm? How long have they been gone for? Everyone I have heard from only currently has them, is not rid of them. I hope these aren't too many Q's but did you end up spreading it to any family members?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 08:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you soooo much for responding back to me. You have no idea how much anxiety is relieved just by hearing your story. I can't afford to go to the Dr. once a week, but I will get the cream, I have no insurance and I have heard that it is expensive. When you used it all over your body did it leave any scars anywhere? I heard that it is bad to put on skin. I do not care about any pain, I just do not want scars. If I can find a way I will go to the derm. every other week. I'm so discouraged because after the shower this morning I seen about 10-15 new ones in addition to the 25-30 that I have! One more question, how long have you been free of this tourture? Again, thank you so much.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 06:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not sure how much the cream costs before insurance but it was worth it. I did not get any scarring from the cream (just the acid treatments lefts scars). To be clear, I only used the cream in affected regions but the entire affected area. The doctors said that it might dry my skin out but that did not happen. I usually had break outs when I was very stressed so try to relax. I'm know how you are feeling and I am sorry. My last treatment was just early Nov.... so not that long ago. Also, I purely went to the doctor out of anxiety. I did not want anything spreading. The bumps probably would have gone away in the same amount of time if I just went every two weeks as well. After you get the cream, treat the bumps right away when you see them developing. It makes the healing time shorten by weeks. When I saw the bumps developing and used the cream, they went away within days versus weeks with the nitrogen treatment. Thank you soooo much for responding back to me. You have no idea how much anxiety is relieved just by hearing your story. I can't afford to go to the Dr. once a week, but I will get the cream, I have no insurance and I have heard that it is expensive. When you used it all over your body did it leave any scars anywhere? I heard that it is bad to put on skin. I do not care about any pain, I just do not want scars. If I can find a way I will go to the derm. every other week. I'm so discouraged because after the shower this morning I seen about 10-15 new ones in addition to the 25-30 that I have! One more question, how long have you been free of this tourture? Again, thank you so much.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2007
    • 01:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I will definitely get the cream and maybe freeze some more of them. I currently have duck tape on them. I had duck tape on previously for 6 days, took it off, showered, and put more duck tape on. Obviously this is not working yet because they are still spreading, but considering the incubation time these bumps could have been starting a few weeks ago, unless I am not clear on this. I do have a doctor's appt. tomorrow, first one in a couple of months since I've had this. I will ask for the cream and ask to have some more prominent ones frozen, which is only a few, the others are sooo small. Sometimes I can't tell if it is dry skin bumps or a real bump, but I think I know this virus better than that and they are probably all bumps. I choose to get them frozen I guess because I had no problem with it before, the healing time was quick. Although, I have post-inflammatory pigmentation that she says will go away eventually. She also said I am very contagious when they are healing from the freezing, so that makes me worry since I have family that uses the same bathroom with me (any pointers on this). All of your answers have helped me to cope. It is really nice to know I am not the only one who has this. I do understand that this is not life threatening and it actually is going to go away, but as everybody knows that has this we fear that it will be noticable and that we will give it to somebody. Oh, and the fact that it is impossible to live a normal life because of the clothing you have to wear and gross, not shaving my legs or my armpits, going through the routine of individually treating these bumps, and doctors appointments. I'm so afraid to spread it in any way. What do you do in the summer about hiding them, hopefully mine will be gone by then. I'm so happy for you that yours are gone, and no reacurrence in a couple of months! I just want to say also that I am sorry for the anxiety you had to go through, nobody should have to go through this. We just need to come out stronger and smarter in the end. Not to say you aquired yours sexually, but I think I may have, I'm not sure, my boyfriend didn't have any bumps that I could see and he also said he had no bumps. I guess you can get molluscum in many ways. Oh, when you went to the doctor in early nov how many bumps did you have? Oh, I also wanted to say that my bumps also spread to the same places as yours as well as a few on my chest and now my lower legs. I know this is long, but it helps to vent to somebody who understands. Thanks for your responses.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2007
    • 04:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello again. I posted the original question, and it's good to hear it can't stay in clothes. Which now boggles my mind how they came back. Here's the sexual history which is why i'm confused they're back.-First noticed the bumps 2 years ago, got them burnt off.- met a girl 3 weeks later and dated her for 9 months- hooked up with three girls after we broke up, got tested- clean, and no bumps show up/come back- hook up with 4 girls within the following year, still no bumps- 2 months go by, again still no bumps.- SUDDENLY 2-3 months ago, a bump comes back, small but noticeableI hadn't had any sexual contact for months!! It just came out of nowhere. Unlike the first time, i didn't itch or touch them, and now i have about 5-6. I'm getting them burned off with nitrogen again in 2 days. I wonder how they came back? Maybe there was one down under my scrotum or crotch where i couldn't see, and it stayed there for so long without spreading? I don't know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 04:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It is a strange situation, but my guess is you came in contact with it again. It can have an incubation time up to 6 mos. After 2 yrs. you would hope 1 wasn't hiding somewher waiting to spread and torture you again, I don't know how likely that is. Let us know if it is molluscum again, and if it goes away with 1 treatment. Hang in there!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 03:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • it is Molluscum again. I went to the Doctor yesterday, and he said there's a 50% chance the bumps will come back again after each burning because they function like cancer cells, if 1 tiny cell isn't burnt in each bump, then it'll slowly multiply in your skin until a new bump forms! ***n!on the plus side, he told me there are over-the-counter versions of liquid nitrogen to burn off warts/bumps in your own privacy, and apparently they are safe, and reasonably cheap. Definately worth saving the embarassment! I'm going to buy and try one tomorrow in my free time. i'll be sure to post my results on this thread!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 00:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry to hear that it is molluscum, those aren't words that you want to hear. Try to stay positive! I've had mine for 6 months and I have been putting duct tape over each bump and just started aldara 2 days ago. I'll keep posting. Good luck, and keep us updated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 02:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• 6 months? that's awful. i've only had mine for 3 and i'm *****d because by fluke I've been having the best luck in finding women i'd love to date in the past few months (whereas usually most of them i meet are not dateable), but these just happen to be the few months of my life where i can't. I feel deprived. Anyway, i bought this Dr. Scholls wart removal system from the drug store after my doctor recommended it. it was roughly 30 bucks with tax. Sadly, it didn't live up to what i'd hoped. I burned all 6 bumps, and only 2 went away. What's worse is that 6-7 new ones just showed up out of the blue. I hate this!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 03:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes, six months, soon seven. I know it is frustrating on the dating aspect, I have a friend that keeps wondering why I am single and keeps introducing me to guys that are worth dating and I just make up excuses about being too busy. I feel like my life is on hold! It has been awful having this for so long, and just to think it started off as just one bump. As for you getting yours burned off and it not really working, I found that having my mine froze off got rid of those bumps completely, but yes more came after that. Here is what I am doing currently: approximatly 3 weeks ago I started to cover each bump with duct tape, approximatly 2 weeks ago I started to apply aldara 3 times a week, while still applying duct tape after my shower. 1 week ago I started to take tagement, an acid reducer, which has been proven in some cases to get rid of molluscum. I have an appointment on Monday with my dermatologist, and I will only have the more prominent and hidden ones frozen because I already have some post-inflammatory pigmentation from previous freezing. I feel optomistic that this is drawing to an end because some are fading and I haven't seen too many new ones pop up. Oh, I also change my pillow cases every 2 days, wash my sheets every 5 days, use a new towel and wash cloth every shower, clean the bathroom every 5 days, and wash my hands like I have OCD. I am probably being extreme but I know how easily it can spread. Keep me updated on your situation!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 02:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My 3 year old has had molluscum for a year and a half. Previously we have always used the canther to have them burned off, and she has tollerated it well. Even once we think we have them "all" gone, after a few months they seem to come back. Most recently they spread to her face again, so we went back to the derm. We did the Canther to burn off the 4-5 largest, but she was so squirmy, they worried they'd burn her face all up. So far, since she is so young, she has not had any scaring. Anyway-they just prescribed the Aldera, but she is so DONE with all this treatment and tired off having owies from all the burning off that she doesn't even like us to look at them, let alone how we will get the aldera on-we start tonite and are hoping for a miracle...I have also heard the DUct tape method works, but we have not tried it. We did waste our money on some herbal stuff called "Molluscum no moe" but it did absolutely nothing...I thought the Dr's told us it could take 1-2 years for the virus to completely get out of your system. I know we are very tired of dealing with this. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 08:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has had this so long. I have a five year old and I worry all the time that I will pass molluscum to him. I would feel so bad if he got it just because it looks bad and takes soooo long to go away! I have tried the duct tape on myself but being an adult I can keep it on. I actually tried putting duct tape on a regular wart that my five year old has and he can't keep the tape on for a full day and the point is to have it on for a few days so it can get all mushy and fall off, yuck. The duct tape didn't help mine but I only did it for about 3 weeks and grew tired of it. I just continue to have them frozen and continue to get the discoloration of skin. Hopefully since your daughter has had this so long it will be going away soon. Oh, I also use aldara and it irritates the bumps, so I think my immune system may be responding. Keep us updated!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2007
    • 02:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I started noticing these molluscum bumps about two and a half years ago. At first I thought it was nothing, but as the months passed, I decided to go to my College's Health Services. They froze them off, but they kept coming back. The also told me it was HPV. I confirmed a year later with a gyno that it was not in fact HPV. Thank God. It was molluscum. I later was told by another doctor that it was because I continued shaving the pubic area. So I began treatment with my new doctor at the student health services, whom I have been going to for about a year and a half. I stopped shaving the area about a year ago, but the lesions keep coming back. Every time, I go and get them frozen off (usually around 6 or so crop up in one outbreak) and just when I think they're gone for good again, they come back (about two months later). It is about the cruelest trick fate can play on me, and I'm only heartbroken once again, because I have not been able to have sexual relations for nearly three years because of this. I can't get it to go away, and I actually really like someone a lot, who I know I am going to lose now, because of this. Can anyone offer me reassurance or explain why the mollscum does not respond properly to freezing treatments. They are virtually undetectable, but they are there. And once one appears, more pop up in no time. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of them? This has been a living ***l for years and I take in as much as 600 mg of Vitamin C every day and a multivitamin. I only drink on the weekends and I've never smoked cigarettes. Other than this I am reasonably healthy. This is so unfair. Is there any chance I will ever be able to live a normal life and date again?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 02:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was diagnosed with this in Dec. i just had three little bumps. Those three went away but maybe 15 more popped up in another area. Then just yesterday a huge cluster errupted. I haven't had it for very long, but I feel so helpless and frustrated, just like all of you. It sucks because no one understands!! And even though I've only been with 1 guy (who doesn't have it anywhere) I feel so disgusted and ashamed. The guy is trying to be supportive, but how long can he hold out? This stuff seems to take forever to go away. I'm most angry at my gyno for acting like it's no big deal. When I first went in and got the originals frozen off she was all nonchalant and said I would be cured in 3 weeks. No mention of how contagious they are; no mention of how they don't actually go away that quickly. My life has been taken over by these stupid bumps!!!So, treatment: I did the cryo thing, but my doc won't see me any more often that once every 4 weeks. The cryo is effective on the individual lesion, but she can only freeze the ones she can see. There are microscopic ones that just wait in the wings for the others to go away and then pop up again.I've been reading up on homeopathic remedies and discovered Thuja is used a lot, so I started taking that orally. During the five day treatment, the molluscum probably got 5 times worse. But maybe that's just my body evacuating the disease (I say this to justify the cost)... I will probably continue this and let you know how it goes.As far as general immune system support: I still take my regular multivitamin but have added a Vitamin E supplement. Also, Vitamin C, Zinc, Enchinacea and Goldenseal supplements. Increase vegetables and lean protein, cut out saturated fat and white carbs. Drinking 12 glasses of water per day. Exercise 60 minutes 4 times per week. You'd think I'm on some crazy weightloss plan, but really just trying to keep myself healthy to fight these things. If nothing else, I recommend the exercise because it makes you feel extra happy.My gyno actually recommended popping the lesions, contrary to what a lot of you were told. I can't decide if that was a smart idea or not, since everything just seems to be getting worse. Just like with the cryo, the individual lesion heals but a bunch more follow.Tonight I try the Aldara prescription I asked for. Although from research no one seems to think this does much. I have hope. As you can tell, I'm pretty obsessive about getting rid of the molluscum. I can't believe how much anxiety and depression these things cause. Nice to see support here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 06:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow. I'm in awe to hear of so many situations similar to mine, if not worse. I started this thread but didn't expect any responses. But this is overwhelming. I'm glad there are people that know how I feel. This is causing me the worst anxiety of my life because I feel i'm lying to everyone. At first, my friends didn't say anything. But now after 5 months they're always asking me why i'm not trying to meet any women or date. I have to keep making up excuses like "I haven't found any that i've been interested in" or things like that. When in reality, i've found more than I ever have before. I've met at least 4 women in the past 5 months I would have love to date. This is the main conern for me. I'm sure all of us here can understand and all may have slightly different conerns.I'm here to shed a slightly positive light. I posted about the drug store wart freezing systems. Well, there's good news. The package usually comes with 8-12 "applicators" which are said to be used once on one wart. Well, i tried this, and it was disasterous. Not only did they not work, but they left some bad scars because of the circumference of the felt tip on the little applicators. I wasted all of the applicators besides 1, and ended up having 4 pretty obvious scars. BUT HOWEVER, soon I was like, DING!, a great idea popped into my head! I took the last applicator, and cut the felt out of the plastic piece as much as possible. Since the freezing liquid inside is identical to that which doctors use, I knew this would work. I screwed the applicator into the liquid cannister (as usual, which allows the liquid to be released) and pressed it into the release cyllinder (a plastic piece created for "safe" home use) as per usual. However, the package says hold for 2-3 seconds to release the freezing fluid. With the felt cut out, I held it for 10 seconds or so, which essentially creates a bowl of freezing medium in the plastic cyllander, which I then took normal q-tip cotton swabs and applied a controlled amount of freezing liquid directly to each bump, for 15 seconds or until I felt it was significant. My method allowed me to treat essentially unlimited bumps, and avoided the excessive tissue burning in a circle around the bump which caused nasty scars. This worked exactly as planned, and within a short 12 days they scabbed over and healed up. They are ALL gone to what I can see. Now, I must hope they don't come back in a few months.The brand I bought was Dr. Scholls Freeze-Away, approx $30CdnWith a little manipulating, it was well worth the $30 and the saving going to the doctors office and any other embarassment. This way, you can treat them whenever you want.After burning them, you can carefully apply aloe vera or a drugstore healing agent such as Polysporin, which worked excellent for me. Vitamin E is also great for this. As mentioned above, multivitamins and health are huge in this because weak immune systems tend to be the cause of more damaging outbreaks.Sorry for the long post, but I hope this will help you all out!! Good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 08:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OH I must add for those worrying, you are not screwed over, most cases do clear up eventually. Just have to be patient. I've found that every doctor says something different about this. Which is anoying. Some are absolutely clueless, some are very helpful. But whatever you do, do NOT listen to a doctor that tells you to POP them. That's absolutely ludicrous if you don't want them to get worse. That'll just make them spread and be every more of a pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 08:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • To the original poster,Keep us updated on your conditiion. I get mine frozen at the derm. and would like to know if yours stay gone. I am hoping that eventually mine will become less and less and will not spread as much. Right now, after having them frozen, which about two didn't freeze off and she didn't freeze like three because they were in visable areas, I probably have only 7 or 8 bumps. Some of the bumps are so small you can only wait it out. I also try to keep luekosilk tape over all the ones that I can to hopefully minimize spreading and I have heard that it can get rid of them. I hate this, I feel like my life has been on hold for the last six and a half months. I also feel like I'm living with this great big secret and it feels like such a burden, I could never tell anybody. I'm so upset about summer coming and still having this and all the scars showing. Right now I can wear long clothes to hide it, but what then? I'm also concerned about spreading this to family members, has anyone done this or have any suggestions so that I don't spread it to someone in my house.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 00:22 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement