Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

abdominal pain followed by rash/welps/breakout/itchy skin

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 17 Replies
  • Posted By: makoosa
  • June 3, 2009
  • 08:47 PM

I can't see to pinpoint what is causing this.

Recently in the past year this had happened 4 different times.

I wake up or encounter intense stomach pain which seems to last only a matter of minutes. 5-10 minutes. Then as the stomach pain starts to fade away over the course of the next 5-10 minutes, I can feel my skin start to get really itchy, all over my body. Generally around my face, ears, neck, throat, but still all over my body too.

The first time this happened i didn't know what was going on so I thought taking a cool shower would help the itching well the contact/irritation from the water hitting my skin caused my arms and stomach to break out with welps wherever the water was hitting with force. I also scratched my ears and face and they were getting all poofy and swolen. So I just layed down in bed and tried not to itch or irritate anything. i woke up perfectly fine with no welps or irritation.

The second time i awoke with this pain and it faded away and was followed by the same irritation of the skin, I simply knew what was coming and didn't itch or move, just lied down and tried to fall asleep, woke up the next morning fine with no problems.

The most recent occurence is actually right now as I type. I am sitting at work fighting off the urge to itch the ***l out of my face and neck.

I am guessing some type of food allergy. The problem is I can't pinpoint what it might be, because all of the foods that seem to be causing it I had eaten before in my life.

The first time it happened I had Subway about 4 hours prior to the pain. Phillycheese steak sub on honey oat bread.

The second time was a hamburger and sweet potato fries (a meal from the same restaurant i had eaten at numerous times before, same meal).

This time i at a hamburger at a DIFFERENT restaurant for lunch. regular fries. about 3 and a half hours ago.

It makes sense that it might be an allergic reaction to a food. but I have gone through everything that was on those burgers and subway and none of them are anything that I have reacted to on a consistent basis. I have eaten all of the ingredients on many other occasions in my life.

Any clues? or similar situations? anyone?

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• I can't see to pinpoint what is causing this. You may have diabetes
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2009
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can't see to pinpoint what is causing this. Recently in the past year this had happened 4 different times.I wake up or encounter intense stomach pain which seems to last only a matter of minutes. 5-10 minutes. Then as the stomach pain starts to fade away over the course of the next 5-10 minutes, I can feel my skin start to get really itchy, all over my body. Generally around my face, ears, neck, throat, but still all over my body too.The first time this happened i didn't know what was going on so I thought taking a cool shower would help the itching well the contact/irritation from the water hitting my skin caused my arms and stomach to break out with welps wherever the water was hitting with force. I also scratched my ears and face and they were getting all poofy and swolen. So I just layed down in bed and tried not to itch or irritate anything. i woke up perfectly fine with no welps or irritation. The second time i awoke with this pain and it faded away and was followed by the same irritation of the skin, I simply knew what was coming and didn't itch or move, just lied down and tried to fall asleep, woke up the next morning fine with no problems. The most recent occurence is actually right now as I type. I am sitting at work fighting off the urge to itch the ***l out of my face and neck. I am guessing some type of food allergy. The problem is I can't pinpoint what it might be, because all of the foods that seem to be causing it I had eaten before in my life. The first time it happened I had Subway about 4 hours prior to the pain. Phillycheese steak sub on honey oat bread. The second time was a hamburger and sweet potato fries (a meal from the same restaurant i had eaten at numerous times before, same meal). This time i at a hamburger at a DIFFERENT restaurant for lunch. regular fries. about 3 and a half hours ago. It makes sense that it might be an allergic reaction to a food. but I have gone through everything that was on those burgers and subway and none of them are anything that I have reacted to on a consistent basis. I have eaten all of the ingredients on many other occasions in my life. Any clues? or similar situations? anyone?my son is going through the same thing. did you ever get a diagnosis?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 30, 2010
    • 02:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Get checked for allergies, and if those tests come back negative, ask about hereditary angioedema.
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • September 2, 2010
    • 05:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there.I am in South Africa and also have exactly the same reaction you are having. it starts with a severe abdominal pain (so bad that I cannot speak or walk at times. I have had this abdominal for over three years but over the last year it has been followed by itching feet, fingers swelling and everywhere my close lines are it starts to itch and bumps like alergies start apearing. (once the alergic like reaction accurs it is usually about an hour after the stomach pain. This follows with dieria and then I am very tired. I have seen doctors over the last year but they all say it is because of stress and that I have a stomach ulcer and because I do not excersise. I am very fit though and started to excersise the last month but find myself another BAD one again. This is so frustrating as it always happens at times that is not appropriot like a important meeting, at work or first date.Can you tell me if you have found any news for yourself yet?HOpe you are well and could anser soon.I can't see to pinpoint what is causing this. Recently in the past year this had happened 4 different times.I wake up or encounter intense stomach pain which seems to last only a matter of minutes. 5-10 minutes. Then as the stomach pain starts to fade away over the course of the next 5-10 minutes, I can feel my skin start to get really itchy, all over my body. Generally around my face, ears, neck, throat, but still all over my body too.The first time this happened i didn't know what was going on so I thought taking a cool shower would help the itching well the contact/irritation from the water hitting my skin caused my arms and stomach to break out with welps wherever the water was hitting with force. I also scratched my ears and face and they were getting all poofy and swolen. So I just layed down in bed and tried not to itch or irritate anything. i woke up perfectly fine with no welps or irritation. The second time i awoke with this pain and it faded away and was followed by the same irritation of the skin, I simply knew what was coming and didn't itch or move, just lied down and tried to fall asleep, woke up the next morning fine with no problems. The most recent occurence is actually right now as I type. I am sitting at work fighting off the urge to itch the ***l out of my face and neck. I am guessing some type of food allergy. The problem is I can't pinpoint what it might be, because all of the foods that seem to be causing it I had eaten before in my life. The first time it happened I had Subway about 4 hours prior to the pain. Phillycheese steak sub on honey oat bread. The second time was a hamburger and sweet potato fries (a meal from the same restaurant i had eaten at numerous times before, same meal). This time i at a hamburger at a DIFFERENT restaurant for lunch. regular fries. about 3 and a half hours ago. It makes sense that it might be an allergic reaction to a food. but I have gone through everything that was on those burgers and subway and none of them are anything that I have reacted to on a consistent basis. I have eaten all of the ingredients on many other occasions in my life. Any clues? or similar situations? anyone?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 14, 2010
    • 07:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi Makoosa, I have the exact same symptoms. It starts out as severe abdominal cramps in the lower left side of my stomach and as the cramping goes away, the itching begins on the palms of my hands then spreads to all parts of my body developing large whelp looking areas everywhere below the neck. My throat, eyes, and lips swell as well. The itching is severe. After a while, I will have diarrhea and the symptoms begin to relieve. On strong occasions of these episodes, I will be sick with a fever and joint pain for the day. I have had this for about 12 years now. It has gotten worse over the years or at least closer together in time. I have started looking at diverticulitis as a cause, but am not sure. The alergic reaction has to come from the fluids being blocked in the lower intestinal track I would think. When I feel this coming on, I take some antihistamine to keep the itching to a minimum which seems to work well. Another thing I have found is moving the lower left side of my gut up and down at the first sign of the cramping. For some reason, this seems to make the episodes much shorter and weaker and causes diarrhea to occur quicker with little itching. The fecal matter is yellowish in color, but I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it. There has to be more of us out there having this problem. If you find out anything, I would love to know. I long for a day that I don't have to worry about when it will creep up on me again.
    me2andu 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi Makoosa, I have the exact same symptoms. It starts out as severe abdominal cramps in the lower left side of my stomach and as the cramping goes away, the itching begins on the palms of my hands then spreads to all parts of my body developing large whelp looking areas everywhere below the neck. My throat, eyes, and lips swell as well. The itching is severe. After a while, I will have diarrhea and the symptoms begin to relieve. On strong occasions of these episodes, I will be sick with a fever and joint pain for the day. I have had this for about 12 years now. It has gotten worse over the years or at least closer together in time. I have started looking at diverticulitis as a cause, but am not sure. The alergic reaction has to come from the fluids being blocked in the lower intestinal track I would think. When I feel this coming on, I take some antihistamine to keep the itching to a minimum which seems to work well. Another thing I have found is moving the lower left side of my gut up and down at the first sign of the cramping. For some reason, this seems to make the episodes much shorter and weaker and causes diarrhea to occur quicker with little itching. The fecal matter is yellowish in color, but I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it. There has to be more of us out there having this problem. If you find out anything, I would love to know. I long for a day that I don't have to worry about when it will creep up on me again.well i have something like you guys.. i have been haveing all over body pain back, legs, chest, arms, legs, but recently i have gotten this rash around my neck also other little spots on the top of my hands. Now i have been told that i have (fibromilsia) which i think there wrong but i see my doctor soon and i will be talking to him about this rash thing and i will post back here about what he says.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi Makoosa, I have the exact same symptoms. It starts out as severe abdominal cramps in the lower left side of my stomach and as the cramping goes away, the itching begins on the palms of my hands then spreads to all parts of my body developing large whelp looking areas everywhere below the neck. My throat, eyes, and lips swell as well. The itching is severe. After a while, I will have diarrhea and the symptoms begin to relieve. On strong occasions of these episodes, I will be sick with a fever and joint pain for the day. I have had this for about 12 years now. It has gotten worse over the years or at least closer together in time. I have started looking at diverticulitis as a cause, but am not sure. The alergic reaction has to come from the fluids being blocked in the lower intestinal track I would think. When I feel this coming on, I take some antihistamine to keep the itching to a minimum which seems to work well. Another thing I have found is moving the lower left side of my gut up and down at the first sign of the cramping. For some reason, this seems to make the episodes much shorter and weaker and causes diarrhea to occur quicker with little itching. The fecal matter is yellowish in color, but I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it. There has to be more of us out there having this problem. If you find out anything, I would love to know. I long for a day that I don't have to worry about when it will creep up on me again.I have the same problems and i was diagnosed with crohns disease!!
  • thank god ive found other people and its not just me.Ive been suffering from this for the past 16 months ive had about 6-7 episodes in that time and each time is slightly worse than the last.1st time it happened i had excrutiating abdomen pain followed by the red skin rash that drove me crazy with itch ive had 4-5 of the same since but the last two ive found that my eyes go completely blood shot too.The cramps usually go after about 10 minutes of being stuck on the toilet but the rash last about 2 hrs then i feel completely drained afterwards for the rest of the day,next day its like nothings happened.My doctors sent me for blood test and 24hr urine test and nothings showed up he also sent me for an ultra sound scan as he suspected carcinoid syndrome but thankfully that came back clear too...im desperate to get to the bottom of it cos like the rest of you guys its like living with a ticking timebomb it comes at any time,leaves you totally drained then goes again im hoping someone can help out :confused: :confused:
    johnny 1980 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • It's now 1:50a and I am unable to sleep for the same reasons all of you posted. I'm just wondering if anyone had a diagnosis since. I've had every test done from perimenopause, diabetes, thyroid, colonoscopy you name it. Everything came out negative. I awoke around 11:15 pm with stomach cramps, then 15mins later the palms of the hands started itching, under the breasts, the neck, the pubic area. About 20 mins into that the face started swelling - eyes, around the mouth, ears started itching and then welts all over my body and arms. I am in my early 40s so I just summed it up to peri or menopause, but I've read a few men stating they have the same issue so I'm REALLY not sure now. I know because of this trauma to my body, tomorrow is another day I won't be able to go to work. This all began for me about 3 years ago. I haven't had an episode since February of this year and here I go again....
    wonderwelts 1 Replies
    • October 3, 2011
    • 06:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • thank god ive found other people and its not just me.Ive been suffering from this for the past 16 months ive had about 6-7 episodes in that time and each time is slightly worse than the last.1st time it happened i had excrutiating abdomen pain followed by the red skin rash that drove me crazy with itch ive had 4-5 of the same since but the last two ive found that my eyes go completely blood shot too.The cramps usually go after about 10 minutes of being stuck on the toilet but the rash last about 2 hrs then i feel completely drained afterwards for the rest of the day,next day its like nothings happened.My doctors sent me for blood test and 24hr urine test and nothings showed up he also sent me for an ultra sound scan as he suspected carcinoid syndrome but thankfully that came back clear too...im desperate to get to the bottom of it cos like the rest of you guys its like living with a ticking timebomb it comes at any time,leaves you totally drained then goes again im hoping someone can help out :confused: :confused:I am experiencing the excat same thing with increasing severity. I know you posted this over a year ago but it fits my symptoms to a T and I am desperate to find an answer. Have you gotten a diagnosis?
    Lisa P 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • thank god ive found other people and its not just me.Ive been suffering from this for the past 16 months ive had about 6-7 episodes in that time and each time is slightly worse than the last.1st time it happened i had excrutiating abdomen pain followed by the red skin rash that drove me crazy with itch ive had 4-5 of the same since but the last two ive found that my eyes go completely blood shot too.The cramps usually go after about 10 minutes of being stuck on the toilet but the rash last about 2 hrs then i feel completely drained afterwards for the rest of the day,next day its like nothings happened.My doctors sent me for blood test and 24hr urine test and nothings showed up he also sent me for an ultra sound scan as he suspected carcinoid syndrome but thankfully that came back clear too...im desperate to get to the bottom of it cos like the rest of you guys its like living with a ticking timebomb it comes at any time,leaves you totally drained then goes again im hoping someone can help out :confused: :confused:This describes in exact detail down to the blood shot eyes what has now happened to me twice in 3 weeks. I know you posted this over a year ago but I am hoping you see this and have gotten some answers. Currently my doctor is testing me for food allergies and ciliacs disease. I have also reading about dump syndrome. Do you now have any answers?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• thank god ive found other people and its not just me.Ive been suffering from this for the past 16 months ive had about 6-7 episodes in that time and each time is slightly worse than the last.1st time it happened i had excrutiating abdomen pain followed by the red skin rash that drove me crazy with itch ive had 4-5 of the same since but the last two ive found that my eyes go completely blood shot too.The cramps usually go after about 10 minutes of being stuck on the toilet but the rash last about 2 hrs then i feel completely drained afterwards for the rest of the day,next day its like nothings happened.My doctors sent me for blood test and 24hr urine test and nothings showed up he also sent me for an ultra sound scan as he suspected carcinoid syndrome but thankfully that came back clear too...im desperate to get to the bottom of it cos like the rest of you guys its like living with a ticking timebomb it comes at any time,leaves you totally drained then goes again im hoping someone can help out :confused: :confused:I have the exact same issue down to the blodd shot eyes. It has progressed from the first episode nearly 4 weeks ago to the second event just a few days ago. I have my doctors testing for celiac and food allergies but neither seems to be a perfect fit of symptoms as I've not introduced anything new into my diet. Do you have any answer to the cause?
  • I would be very curious to hear about each of your diets as I bet the reaction you are having is tied to it.The food today is very different then it was before 1996 when genetically modified seed came into being. Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are incredibly dangerous to the health and can open the system to all kinds of bizarre toxic and allergic reactions. I'd recommend reading "Seeds of Deception" or reading some of the articles on Dr. Mercola's site. Here is a decent one: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/03/gmo-foods-false-claims.aspxor sift through http://gmo.mercola.comThe allergic reaction to GMOs can be quite severe. There are all kinds of bizarre health crisises coming up in people in recent years. Many of them include itching as a major symptom. What has changed to possibly cause that? Food. Processed foods have been around for years, but genetic modification has not and more and more foods are being grown as GMOs.What I'm wondering if exposure to these foods can have a cumulative buildup in the body and cause a massive reaction, or the combination of different triggers can cause a crisis reaction. No way to know unless the diet is changed and offending foods are removed. If you are eating processed foods from the supermarket it's important to know about the ingredients as they can be hidden with obscure names that don't reveal the original food source. From the original poster of this thread, offhand I'd bet those french fries were fried in corn oil a GMO product, the meat could be laced with "pink slime" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkwUt-bqIo&feature=related, the lunch meat in your subway, Sprayed with bacteria to keep it fresh. The bread is another source of concern. Learn about gluten intolerance.Food is medicine. In the end, you might not get a diagnosis from a doctor of a specific disease that is causing your problems, but if you really want to see this health issue end, I'd be addressing diet in a serious way. No fast food, no sugar (soft drinks), cut the bread out, eat organic unprocessed food—food in it's wholest form, juice vegetables and support the system with superfoods that deliver nutrition.Most people are not willing to make those changes until they become really ill and even then, they want the doc to hand them a pill to fix the problem. I have Morgellons Disease, a nasty illness that is growing rapidly. Luckily, I've figured out how to manage it (for now), but diseases like this are on the rise, so we need to be looking at why this is happening. This video by Dr. Terry Wahls is pretty enlightening. She healed herself from crippling Multiple Sclerosis with diet. It just goes to show how important a role it plays in health. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=shI have a website up to help people with morgellons. On the diet and pH page there is a downloadable chart of hidden ingredients in GMO foods. You can access the chart through this link. http://morgellonsdiseaseawareness.com/diet_and_ph_plus_ph_chartBest of luck to you all. I hope you come up with some answers.
  • One more thing...If the meat you are eating is fed GMOs then you are eating what they've been eating, so you are getting them that way.Commercial chicken is fed corn and soy, both of which are GMO foods (they also spray arsenic on their feed to keep it from molding).Commercial beef is fed corn, an unnatural diet for cows which causes them to become ill, so the industry counters this with large amounts of antibiotics. Beef also gets the bovine growth hormone which is genetically modified. So you are getting whammied with a few harmful handling practices that go right into your system. If you are eating beef, grass-fed, grass-finished is the way to go. It's usually only sold locally at farmer's markets. If it doesn't say "grass-finished" on the label in your supermarket, then one must assume they have fed the animal corn just before slaughter to fatten it up.
  • I've got something similar to you guys it happened to me 3 times. First time: 3 years ago, 2nd time: last week and the last time: last night. For me, the outbreak begins in early morning between 5-6 am. It starts with itchy palms witch wakes me up then becomes swollen, followed by stomach cramp. The itch starts spreading through my body like hives, my scalp, waist, neck, wrist, genitals, anal, face, inner ears begin to itch intensely to the point where my body is fully red as if I got a full body sunburn. My face becomes puffy and my eyes bloodshot. The first episode was short lasting, maybe an hour or two, and thought to be a fluke incident. 3 Years goes by without incident, until last week, a more violent episode happened which brought me to the EMERG. The EMERG doctor gave me (2X anti histamine) and (1X PREDNISONE 50mg). I then fell a sleep for 2 hours. I got released from EMERG with the hypothesis that it would have been a food allergy and got told to follow up with my family doctor. Now, yesterday, after eating KFC at the park (with wife and kids). I did not feel quite right in my stomach but I carried on with my day as normal. I cut the lawn, had 3X beers, did not feel right again, went to bed and woke up at 0530am with the symptoms pattern mentioned above. I took (2X anti histamine) and (1X PREDNISONE 50mg) and tried to go to bed. I still had stomach cramps so I couldn't fall asleep, I then threw up once and then I fell asleep. I've been trying to cross reference the day time previous to each episodes without finding anything "food wise" (liquid or solid) that would stand out to be the guilty corporate. The only thing I can see so far, is that, the day period before each episode, I ate lunch in the outdoors and each time there were seagulls around. If anyone could bring some light into this before my follow up it would be greatly appreciated.
    Fredyboy02 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would suggest a possible diagnosis of "Mastocytosis". Please check your symptomatology with the symptoms described with this condition.
    kolkata2000 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had off and on similar symptoms for the past 14 years, and was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis. Now it makes more sense...instead of people looking for food-based triggers. This morning a had the itchy palms and other mild symptoms. Years ago, it used to get to the anaphylaxis stage.I'm not a doctor, but If allergy tests always turn out negative or if they point to things like dust and/or grass allergies...but you know it can't be this, then I HIGHLY recommend that you have a thorough COLONOSCOPY to check for diverticulitis. In the meanwhile, ensure that you have regular bowel function/rhythm to keep the colon as clear as possible.Just a thought to consider....and good luck and good health to all.Kent
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2013
    • 03:57 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement