Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

I know it's not depression. Long post, desperate for help!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: jgold1975
  • May 29, 2009
  • 05:59 PM

I have been being treated for depression for more then 10 years even with my insistence that it is not depression. While I do have some symptoms of depression, I am missing some very important symptoms while my other symptoms are being completely ignored. I've been to general partitioners, Neurologists, ENT and an allergist. I've been given general blood tests, CAT scans, MRI's, and was tested for Addison's all came back normal except for the MRI which found a sub-arachnoid cyst in my left temporal lobe and was told it was about the size of a "deck of cards" and that while it might explain my reduction in sensation/feeling and muscle tone on my right side it is not effecting me an any other way.

I am 33 years old, professional woman, divorced, I have 1 child a son 13 (most of my symptoms started after I gave birth to him), I am 5'6" and weigh 130 lbs. Family history of heart disease, diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis and celiac disease.

So other then the issues with my right side I am also experiencing:
(I'm not sure if ALL of these symptoms are related but I want to provide a comprehensive list)
Profound chronic fatigue
Daytime tiredness
Chronic onset insomnia
Hirsutism (hair growth on upper lip, chin, chest and excessive amount of hair on legs for a woman)
chronic daily headaches (the headaches aren't really painful mostly dull pressure pain on my forehead, eyes and top of head. Feels as though my brain is expanding)
Pain relievers do not help the headaches.
Restless leg syndrome type feeling in right leg only (to which my neurologist said was just impossible.)
brittle nails
oily skin/hair
Acne
bruise easily
slow healing
scaring even with minor cuts
Low blood pressure
Hypoglycemia
cold extremities
Photophobia (not a fear of light, but sensitivity to bright lights. I need to wear sunglasses even on overcast days. Bright light intensifies my headaches.)
frequent diarrhea and general gastrointestinal discomfort, after eating my gut makes lots of noise not from the stomach but lower. Loud enough for others to notice.
Dizziness
Absent Seizures (confirmed by Neurologist)
I also frequently have a weird disconnected feeling sometimes it what I would call brain fog but other times it feels as though I am disconnected from my surroundings, as if I am dreaming or watching it on TV.

So every Dr I've gone to end up telling me I'd really benefit from an antidepressant. I'm about sick of hearing it and I then ask "Well what would you suggest since I've been on Prozac, Paxil, Cymbalta, Effexor, Remeron, Wellbutrin (then I continue on with the long list of antidepressants and other meds used off label for depression I've been on). The Dr will just give me this scathing look and tell me that I just didn't give them enough time to work. Errrr. I think 3 months - 1 year is long enough to give them to work. I also tell them that I lack some very important symptoms of depression I don't feel sad, worthless, empty, hopeless or suicidal. I also have not lost interest in thing I previously enjoyed (I don't do a lot of things I enjoy doing but not due to lack of interest but lack of energy).

Currently I am taking Klonopin helps with the seizures and helps me sleep, dexedrine which helps with the fatigue and daytime sleepiness and remeron which I don't think is doing anything. Other then these symptoms that are being managed all other symptoms persist and have gotten worst over the years.
I am at my wits end and am so tired of feeling this way! It's effecting my ability to work and I feel terrible for my son, I just can't do the things I should be doing with him and for him. The poor thing says "You're always too tired." or "You always have a headache." My son has Asperger's Syndrome so I think he needs me more then the typical 13 yr old and I'm just not able to do it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for reading, I know it was long but wanted to provide as much details as possible.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement