Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Strange Deja Vu, followed by nausea, dizziness and confusion

Posted In: Nerve conditions 404 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 27, 2009
  • 09:18 PM

23 yr old male
For years, ever since I was younger, I would periodically incur episodes where I would have an intense feeling of Deja Vu, usually triggered by something I hear someone say or something I read. And most often I feel like I heard these words spoken in my dreams I have had in the past, but I couldn't remember because you dream in short term memory. But all of a sudden these "memories" of the dream resurface and I get nausea, dizziness and confused. And then as soon as the episode is over (about 30 seconds), I forget all about the dream again and I can't remember any of it....
Now this doesn't happen to me often. At most it happens like twice per year, lasting usually 1 to 3 days. During the days that I am having these episodes it seems to happen roughly 5 - 10 times during the day.

(I'm currently on day 2 of this happening to me)
I don't have seizures, I don't do any drugs. I've been pretty tired the last couple of days, but I have been sleeping alright. No other known medical issues.

Any ideas? I think it might be a supernatural psychic ability that I just can't harness (joking)

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • This is the second time in my life this is happening to me. It happened to me about 5 years ago and is now happening again. I'm on day 2 also. You described EXACTLY what I have been feeling. It sucks so much. I don't know what to do. I can usually control it by thinking about something else and looking away very fast... but that doesn't always work. I just want these... "attacks" to stop! Do you have any idea what causes this to happen?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is the second time in my life this is happening to me. It happened to me about 5 years ago and is now happening again. I'm on day 2 also. You described EXACTLY what I have been feeling. It sucks so much. I don't know what to do. I can usually control it by thinking about something else and looking away very fast... but that doesn't always work. I just want these... "attacks" to stop! Do you have any idea what causes this to happen?I still have absolutely no idea. I wonder if it's related to a lack of sleep or perhaps something stress unduced (although I did have these "episodes" when I was younger and I couldn't say I had THAT much to stress about). Honestly, I don't find these moments of Deja Vu + Nausea too severe and I now actually enjoy it to an extent because it's such an odd/out-of-body feeling. Although it can get annoying if you're trying to concentrate then all of a sudden you get Deja Vu and it causes immediate confusion!
  • Wow, I thought I was the only one experiencing this phenomena. You guys have exactly what I have. Basically what happens to me is a sound, smell, or a particular setting will trigger an intense memory of what I believe to be a recurring dream that my mind has repressed for some reason. Once I begin to remember it, I feel super nauseous, dizzy, etc... to the point where I think I'm almost going to pass out. And it lasts about 30 seconds to a minute. It started about a year ago.But over time, I too have learned to deal with it, and almost "play" with it or try to control it. When it happens I try to focus on the memory and get more "conscious" details. I try to recall it more clearly each time, of course that often makes the nausea worse too. I'm to the point where I know enough about the memory now that I can almost trigger it on my own just by trying to remember that "dream" (or whatever the memory is). Very strange! But I'm glad I'm not the only one now. Strange that we'd all be online researching this around the same time. I wonder how many others experience this?
    jtwitkow 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Wow, I thought I was the only one experiencing this phenomena. You guys have exactly what I have. Basically what happens to me is a sound, smell, or a particular setting will trigger an intense memory of what I believe to be a recurring dream that my mind has repressed for some reason. Once I begin to remember it, I feel super nauseous, dizzy, etc... to the point where I think I'm almost going to pass out. And it lasts about 30 seconds to a minute. It started about a year ago.But over time, I too have learned to deal with it, and almost "play" with it or try to control it. When it happens I try to focus on the memory and get more "conscious" details. I try to recall it more clearly each time, of course that often makes the nausea worse too. I'm to the point where I know enough about the memory now that I can almost trigger it on my own just by trying to remember that "dream" (or whatever the memory is). Very strange! But I'm glad I'm not the only one now. Strange that we'd all be online researching this around the same time. I wonder how many others experience this?The way you explained it is so spot on, it's almost creepy! My main difference is that I can't seem to ever remember even a little bit of the dream right after an episode. It's like the memories come rushing into my head, and right back out a minute later. It's so bizzare, but so interesting at the same time.
  • Does anyone else experience severe migraines afterwards? And does anyone know what the phenomenon is called?And, has anyone had much luck with researching this? This thread seems to be the only thing on the internet...
  • Wow, I just stumbled upon this page and OH I SO KNOW WHAT YOU ALL MEAN about the weird deja vu's, feeling psychic, perhaps a surpressed memory, nausua, etc. only lasting a few moments. This is what you call an "aura" and it's a petit seizure. I had them for years before they developed into gran mal seizures. It's called Epilepsy and these are auras which can vary from person to person be triggered for no apparent reason. For ex: Mine was more to do with landscapes and BANG it would bring me back to childhood or something. It was a weird deja vu! They didn't bother me much and even thought they were kind of cool, although they did drain me a little. Turns out I was finally diagnosed with Epilepsy (Right Temporal Lobe). Just thought I would share that and I'm assuming you all know it's seizures and if not, PLEASE go see a NEUROLOGIST!
  • I tried to respond yesterday to this but I don't see my reponse up there yet, so I will try again. To ALL that are experiencing the weird Deja Vu's you must see a neurologist. I experienced them for years and it turned out to be Epilepsy. (Temporal Lobe). I kept getting mis dianosed because I couldn't explain them until suddenly I had a big gran mal seizure (convulsive type) and I had learned that ALL those weird deja vus were nothing more than petit seizures. PLEASE talk to a neurologist.
  • Wow Kelley V!Epilepsy eh? I wasn't expecting that! Jeebus I should get some health insurance before this gets a little out of hand... :/Than you for the information about "auras" and seizures and what not. I will do a bit more research now that I have an idea of what to look up. Thank you!
  • really, epilepsy?? did this happen to you at night at all? for the past maybe month i've been waking out of certain dreams feeling nauseated, like the need to throw up is so intense it wakes me out of a sound sleep, though i haven't actually vomited yet. when i remember tidbits of these specific dreams later in the daytime or things related to them, the nausea comes back, and this morning i felt like i was going to pass out. what do i tell a neurologist if i go?? it seems like such a weird thing to say, "my dreams make me sick". wtf?! (thanks for help! :) )I tried to respond yesterday to this but I don't see my reponse up there yet, so I will try again. To ALL that are experiencing the weird Deja Vu's you must see a neurologist. I experienced them for years and it turned out to be Epilepsy. (Temporal Lobe). I kept getting mis dianosed because I couldn't explain them until suddenly I had a big gran mal seizure (convulsive type) and I had learned that ALL those weird deja vus were nothing more than petit seizures. PLEASE talk to a neurologist.
  • This was happening to me a lot lately - exactly like you described. I'd suddenly remember a dream, or part of a dream, and then feel really queasy, like I was going to throw up. Nothing like that had happened to me before a month or two ago.I decided I'd try avoiding aspartame (which was in my Orbit chewing gum) because it has been linked to seizures and migraines. It's been 3 days, and haven't had any dream flashbacks followed by nausea. I hope this helps.
  • I used to have a lot of episodes like you folks are describing. I haven't had any in 6 years since I started healing. I can tell you what healed my situation.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I just had the same thing happen to me twice today and I've had it before. I googled it and came to this page. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that goes through these. Its as if I begin dreaming the dream I had the night before again and I get all dizzy. Although I don't usually get a headache afterward. Its weird. I feel like I'm going to die and I try to stay focused and push it out of my head and othertimes I just let it pass. Then it just goes away.
  • I have been experiencing this for the past 6 months, sometimes during the day at work but 9 times out of 10 its just at the point of falling asleep. I have deja vu feeling, then feel light headed and nauseas, need to stand up and take deep breaths until it passes. Then afterwords I cannot recall the thought which triggered the deja vu.
  • damm. i thought i was the only one that that was happening to. stong deja vu from the smallest thing.like a sound or something you see. i got very dizzy and got sick most of the times. i learned to control it a little more over time. when i started to get it i concentrated. its unexplainable.
  • it sounds like a seizure from epilepsy to me. there are many different types of seizure, and it doesn't have to be collapsing and involuntary jerking. i suggest that you see a doctor and get yourself tested if you haven't yet.
  • it sounds like a seizure from epilepsy to me. there are many different types of seizure, and it doesn't have to be collapsing and involuntary jerking. i suggest that you see a doctor and get yourself tested if you haven't yet.Does anyone have any other idea what this could be besides siezures? I have been seeing a neurologist for a year, but none of the tests they did showed anything ( I can't make them happen). I have them about twice a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. They put me on Topamax and 3 1/2 months went by without a single episode. I thought I had my answer! But, the dr. told me he didn't think it was siezures even though the medicine was working. So I'm back to square one. I quit taking the medicine because the side effects were horrible ( tingling, wierd thoughts, sleep paralysis) and now I am waiting for my episodes to come back. I've been having them for 13 years. Like you all I get wierd deja vu, like a dream that may have happened but I can't remember afterward. I also get the nausea, about 10 seconds after the deja vu feeling. There are also other feelings that you all may have if you concentrate on understanding your episodes. For instance, I get a burning sensation from under my right eye down my arm, my hearing goes dim, my salivary glands act up, and sometimes afterwards (depending on the severity) I'll get extreme headaches starting at the back of my head and working its way up. And like a lot of you I think it's a pretty cool feeling (rules out panic attacks). I've come to realize I'll never have an answer, and I'm okay with that, they're a part of me, and I'll have them the rest of my life without knowing. It's so good seeing that so many other people know what I'm feeling!So is the doctor a quack, and they are siezures, or is there something else it could be?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2009
    • 04:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Does anyone have any other idea what this could be besides siezures? I have been seeing a neurologist for a year, but none of the tests they did showed anything ( I can't make them happen). I have them about twice a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. They put me on Topamax and 3 1/2 months went by without a single episode. I thought I had my answer! But, the dr. told me he didn't think it was siezures even though the medicine was working. So I'm back to square one. I quit taking the medicine because the side effects were horrible ( tingling, wierd thoughts, sleep paralysis) and now I am waiting for my episodes to come back. I've been having them for 13 years. Like you all I get wierd deja vu, like a dream that may have happened but I can't remember afterward. I also get the nausea, about 10 seconds after the deja vu feeling. There are also other feelings that you all may have if you concentrate on understanding your episodes. For instance, I get a burning sensation from under my right eye down my arm, my hearing goes dim, my salivary glands act up, and sometimes afterwards (depending on the severity) I'll get extreme headaches starting at the back of my head and working its way up. And like a lot of you I think it's a pretty cool feeling (rules out panic attacks). I've come to realize I'll never have an answer, and I'm okay with that, they're a part of me, and I'll have them the rest of my life without knowing. It's so good seeing that so many other people know what I'm feeling! So is the doctor a quack, and they are siezures, or is there something else it could be? Yes I do. If you have a bunch of other symptoms it could be active b12 deficiencies like I had. If it is that , the podds of you finding the right brand of the right type taken the right way to be effective are more than 1000 to 1 against you. If you are interested in the details, let me know.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • August 13, 2009
    • 02:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • wow, im finding it strange that this many people are experiencing this. i always thought i was just a freak.I used to get these episodes quite often, triggered by all kinds of things but always with that feeling of intense deja vu. the last episode though was probably 3-4 years ago now, and i only decided to research it because i heard a song that used to always trigger it and it had no effect now (made me kind of curious as to what it was).the episodes seemed to come to a climax and then stop around a time that i had a massive incapacitating headache when i was in 7th or 8th grade (incapacitating as in i spent 3-4 hours laying in bed in fetal position, trying to scream but no sound coming out). I am not sure if they stopped immediately before or after and whether it was days or months before or after but it was around the same time.there is also a history of epilepsy in my family (my uncle has suffered from it since the age of 16 or so)anyway, should i go have a doctor run some tests, or should i be safe since there has been nothing for a few years?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2009
    • 00:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • sorry if this double posts, i tried to post it a little while ago and it did not seem to work.wow, im finding it strange that this many people are experiencing this. i always thought i was just a freak.I used to get these episodes quite often, triggered by all kinds of things but always with that feeling of intense deja vu. the last episode though was probably 3-4 years ago now, and i only decided to research it because i heard a song that used to always trigger it and it had no effect now (made me kind of curious as to what it was).the episodes seemed to come to a climax and then stop around a time that i had a massive incapacitating headache when i was in 7th or 8th grade (incapacitating as in i spent 3-4 hours laying in bed in fetal position, trying to scream but no sound coming out). I am not sure if they stopped immediately before or after and whether it was days or months before or after but it was around the same time.there is also a history of epilepsy in my family (my uncle has suffered from it since the age of 16 or so)anyway, should i go have a doctor run some tests, or should i be safe since there has been nothing for a few years?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2009
    • 01:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hey,do any of you hear phantom music during the "episodes/attacks"? i always hear the same "song" during an episode, that to my knowledge doesn't really exist, and afterward i can't remember anything about it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2009
    • 05:44 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement