Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

tingling in head and face.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: rose21
  • May 27, 2009
  • 06:32 PM

I've been experienceing tingling / numbness in my face and head for the past 6 months or so. at first it wasn't happening so often and i kind of ignored it. Now it happens about every 20 mins or so and lasts for about 2 mins. I've noticed also the more i try and concintrate on something else the more intense it gets! I went to a nerologist who sent me to get an M.R.I. she said it came back to be normal . Should i get a second oppinion?:confused: it's becoming really annoying and uncomfertable. About a year ago i was diagnosed with a tick. Where i whould twitch alot. i toke some meds and it went away. Last nite as i was trying to go to bed my legs keeps twitching.. it hurt really bad. My sister was in the room with me and sais i feel asleep for about an hour and was still twitching.. i woke up twitching still and thought i hadn't fallen asleep. Could this be related? Just a thought.. Can anyone help me?!?!

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• What was your neurologist looking for with the MRI? Don't worry it isn't electromagnetic radiation as blaze is suggesting - there would be a uniform heat over your entire body. Again blaze, you're not relating the information to the circumstance - and this is a DIAGNOSIS forum.
    npcomplete 20 Replies Flag this Response
  • could me more in the shingles family..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Could you please describe your tic in more detail? What med were you placed on that made it go away and are you still on the medication? How long were you on it and when? In order to properly diagnose a tic, you must present with the symptom(s) for at least one month and are usually under the age of 18-- is that correct for you? If you are over the age of 18 when diagnosed with a tic, it changes my reply. It's rare and usually caused by something else. Please note that there are many medications out there that are useful in controlling tics that may also cause a condition called tardive dyskinesia. I'm trying to rule this out with my questions, as I do not believe that is the cause in your case. Check out the term Restless Leg Syndrome. Does that sound similar to what you experienced while sleeping? It does typically worsen while trying to or actually sleeping and due to the physical nature of it, can make you feel as if you have not slept when indeed you have. This disorder is common and treatable, although you would require a sleep study for confirmation. Do you feel a constant urge to move your body, particularly your legs? Like an itch you cannot scratch? Some people feel a burning pain with RLS. Motor tics (like twitching) and RLS are also connected to a disorder called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. This can consist ruminating thoughts can actually produce or worsen the numbness and tingling you feel on your face. I'm leaning towards this (these three connected) because you stated that when you actively try not to think about the face issue, it gets worse. Intrusive thoughts are very difficult to distract. There is also a condition out there called trigeminal neuralgia. While it has your symptoms of numbness and tingling on the face (or on half), it usually presents with severe pain which I am not hearing you complain about-- you would not be able to ignore this condition. Another one for you to look up. The doctor was looking for an impinged nerve in your cervical spine when doing the MRI, I would bet. Her telling you it was clear denotes ruling out this potential issue, but does not exclude other reasons for nerve pain to occur. Did she suggest any other cause to you?
    Harmonium 322 Replies Flag this Response
  • Could you please describe your tic in more detail? What med were you placed on that made it go away and are you still on the medication? How long were you on it and when? In order to properly diagnose a tic, you must present with the symptom(s) for at least one month and are usually under the age of 18-- is that correct for you? If you are over the age of 18 when diagnosed with a tic, it changes my reply. It's rare and usually caused by something else. Please note that there are many medications out there that are useful in controlling tics that may also cause a condition called tardive dyskinesia. I'm trying to rule this out with my questions, as I do not believe that is the cause in your case. Check out the term Restless Leg Syndrome. Does that sound similar to what you experienced while sleeping? It does typically worsen while trying to or actually sleeping and due to the physical nature of it, can make you feel as if you have not slept when indeed you have. This disorder is common and treatable, although you would require a sleep study for confirmation. Do you feel a constant urge to move your body, particularly your legs? Like an itch you cannot scratch? Some people feel a burning pain with RLS. Motor tics (like twitching) and RLS are also connected to a disorder called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. This can consist ruminating thoughts can actually produce or worsen the numbness and tingling you feel on your face. I'm leaning towards this (these three connected) because you stated that when you actively try not to think about the face issue, it gets worse. Intrusive thoughts are very difficult to distract. There is also a condition out there called trigeminal neuralgia. While it has your symptoms of numbness and tingling on the face (or on half), it usually presents with severe pain which I am not hearing you complain about-- you would not be able to ignore this condition. Another one for you to look up. The doctor was looking for an impinged nerve in your cervical spine when doing the MRI, I would bet. Her telling you it was clear denotes ruling out this potential issue, but does not exclude other reasons for nerve pain to occur. Did she suggest any other cause to you?i had the tic about as year ago..for about 2 months and was put on haliparidol for about 3 months and then stoped the medication. i was 20 . The doctor didn't say what she was looking for in the m.r.i. She didn't suggest another cause. She said it was very common and that if the m.r.i. came back normal which it did that there was nothing i chould do.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement