Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

I'm vibrating!! Please HELP!!!

Posted In: Medical Stories 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Sweetypie
  • May 24, 2009
  • 07:33 PM

I have a vibration in my lower left abdomen (just to the left of my pubic bone) that vibrates/pulses every 3 to 5 secs. This has been happening since early friday. It does it on and off throughout the day. When I woke up today and yesterday, it wasnt doing, UNTIL I got up and started moving around. It definitely does it when Im going to sleep, but seems to stop, I guess, after awhile. Ive never experienced this nor have I ever heard of this before. WHAT IS IT??? HELP!! I have no other symptoms..no pain, fever...nothing....just the pulsing every couple of seconds. Its very strange! AND ANNOYING.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Could you please describe this "vibration" more specifically?I'm thinking that it is a muscle twitch, a spasm, but I need more information. Muscle spasms are normally caused by fatigue. How long does it last? (just one vibration, or does it go on for several minutes or seconds?)How often does it occur? (you state every 3-5 seconds, but if that were accurate, it would be constant-- is it?)Can you visibly see it happening or just feel it? (does the skin move?)Are you on any medications? (including birth control)What is your age and weight/height ratio? (I'm assuming you are female?)Any additional information you could give us would help us to help you.
    Harmonium 322 Replies Flag this Response
  • This vibration has been pretty much all day long. Sometimes it stops periodically during the day, but not for long....so I guess it is a constant thing. I cant see it. I just feel it on the inside. Im not on any new medications, I only take Klor Khon (potassium), cause I have gitelmans syndrome, I suffer from low potassium, but have been on that medication since about 2003. But I take that faithfully everyday, otherwise, my heart will mess with me and I suffer the affects of low potassium...which aren't fun!! I am a 34 yr old female weighing 120 lbs and 5'3". Two years ago, I changed the way I eat, and eat healthier and have lost a total of 40 pounds now. Last year, 2008, in March, was when I finally stopped losing weight, and have maintained my weight since. Ive had one other person suggest that it may be a spasm, but it pretty much does it ALL day. I just dont know and its really wierd. When I first noticed it, I thought it was my phone in my pocket vibrating, so I would pull it out and look at it, but it wasn't my phone, and then finally later, after I put my phone in my purse, I was still vibrating and it is still happening, even as I sit here typing. Its the feeling like your phone is in your pocket and vibrating. And is just really strange!! I have muscle spasm medication from a surgery I had done 2yrs ago, and my hubby suggested I take it. But Im just hoping that this will stop on its own...I just wish I knew what it was!
    Sweetypie 12 Replies Flag this Response
  • Great reply! I'm thinking that due to your weight loss, your potassium supplement levels may need adjustment. Also, with your diet changes, I'd imagine you cut down your salt intake? Salt works with potassium! Potassium is a very important factor in muscle contraction. When it gets too low or too high, your muscles can spasm. It is possible this is a muscle spasm (I'm thinking maybe your illiopsoas muscle, deep inside) due to the potassium it could be spasming all day. Have your levels checked out as soon as you can. Also, if you do have a muscle relaxer prescribed for you, take one and see if it helps. Although if that pill is over 2 years old, it may not be effective any longer. They do have a shelf-life! Normally, you should throw out any meds after one year.I hope that helps. Good luck to you!
  • I go into my Dr. next month that keeps a check on that for me, so I'll ask if it needs to be adjusted to my weight loss. But Im thinking if it doesnt stop by wed., I may just go to my primary to see. I've noticed when Im laying down, after awhile, it stops, but once I start moving around, it starts back up. So something about relaxing, makes it stop for awhile. Thanks a lot. I'll look into that.
  • Not sure...
  • Could you please describe this "vibration" more specifically? I'm thinking that it is a muscle twitch, a spasm, but I need more information. Muscle spasms are normally caused by fatigue. How long does it last? (just one vibration, or does it go on for several minutes or seconds?)How often does it occur? (you state every 3-5 seconds, but if that were accurate, it would be constant-- is it?)Can you visibly see it happening or just feel it? (does the skin move?)Are you on any medications? (including birth control)What is your age and weight/height ratio? (I'm assuming you are female?) Any additional information you could give us would help us to help you. -------------------------I also have 'muscle vibrations'. They are milder than a 'spasm'.They occur on my left side, upper inside groin sometimes spreading toward the outside areas when I sit.I have had meralgia paresthetica..left side...for about 4+ yrs.No one has given me help with that...although the neurologisttold me to have gastric bypass done and that if I lost70 lbs or more, ALL my problems would go away. Since thiscondition happens to normal weighted people, I questionhis treatment plan. I have VERY tight gluteus max and minormuscles, and a VERY tight piriformis....much more severe onthe left side than the right. I feel as if the bottom of myspine...coccyx/sacro area...would benefit from a big POP...it feels tight and bound...... I am on many medications, including Vit B12 injections....but nothing new in years. The 'vibrations' started aboutfour months ago and are most prominent when I am seated although now do occur when lying down or standing. Please advise.and...Thank you. B. Jones
    BJones 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • BJones-- also have 'muscle vibrations'. They are milder than a 'spasm'.They occur on my left side, upper inside groin sometimes spreading toward the outside areas when I sit.I have had meralgia paresthetica..left side...for about 4+ yrs.No one has given me help with that...although the neurologisttold me to have gastric bypass done and that if I lost70 lbs or more, ALL my problems would go away. Since thiscondition happens to normal weighted people, I questionhis treatment plan. I have VERY tight gluteus max and minormuscles, and a VERY tight piriformis....much more severe onthe left side than the right. I feel as if the bottom of myspine...coccyx/sacro area...would benefit from a big POP...it feels tight and bound...... I am on many medications, including Vit B12 injections....but nothing new in years. The 'vibrations' started aboutfour months ago and are most prominent when I am seated although now do occur when lying down or standing. Please advise.and...Thank you.You state you have problems with your piriformis, gluteus maximus and minimus muscles. I believe you also have tightness in the illiopsoas musle. This is common and would result in your meralgia paresthetica diagnosis. A spasm in this muscle can cause a 'vibrating' feeling. It is a very deep muscle, attaching on your thoracic spine and passing through the hip at the obturator foramen and then attaching on the femur. This muscle is a hip hiker muscle meaning that it helps you to sit down or get into that position-- it also helps you walk or climb stairs as it moves the leg up. Any time you are in a seated position, this illiopsoas muscle is engaged. It can also pull your tendons and spine in such a way as to put undo stress on your sacroiliac joint-- this would cause an increase in tension on the various tendons assisting that joint, making you feel as if you need to pop it. Being overweight can place undo stress on particularly the muscles you mention-- your doc is correct that in your case, your problems with this may resolve themselves if you loose excess weight. You are correct that this problem happens to many people that do not have weight issue, but please remember that there are sooooo many various reasons for muscle tightness. One of yours could be your weight, particularly if your muscle tension has increased to the point of nerve entrapment as in the case of meralgia paresthetica.You would greatly benefit from either a Physical Therapist or a Massage Therapist trained specifically for myofascial release. Check credentials, all are not trained. I am a Master Massage Therapist and have many clients with chronic myofacial pain and dysfunction who benefit greatly from this treatment. Mind you, it is not a 'cure'-- you will continue to need therapy until the source of your muscle tightness is found. However, it can stop the symptoms and manage the problem without the use of medication.
  • This vibration has been pretty much all day long. Sometimes it stops periodically during the day, but not for long....so I guess it is a constant thing. I cant see it. I just feel it on the inside. Im not on any new medications, I only take Klor Khon (potassium), cause I have gitelmans syndrome, I suffer from low potassium, but have been on that medication since about 2003. But I take that faithfully everyday, otherwise, my heart will mess with me and I suffer the affects of low potassium...which aren't fun!! I am a 34 yr old female weighing 120 lbs and 5'3". Two years ago, I changed the way I eat, and eat healthier and have lost a total of 40 pounds now. Last year, 2008, in March, was when I finally stopped losing weight, and have maintained my weight since. Ive had one other person suggest that it may be a spasm, but it pretty much does it ALL day. I just dont know and its really wierd. When I first noticed it, I thought it was my phone in my pocket vibrating, so I would pull it out and look at it, but it wasn't my phone, and then finally later, after I put my phone in my purse, I was still vibrating and it is still happening, even as I sit here typing. Its the feeling like your phone is in your pocket and vibrating. And is just really strange!! I have muscle spasm medication from a surgery I had done 2yrs ago, and my hubby suggested I take it. But Im just hoping that this will stop on its own...I just wish I knew what it was! any buzzing ringing in your ears that you have noticed or perhaps the sound of a diesel engine running in the distance along with the vibrations??? I am also experiencing vibrations and though it is probably muscle spasms I really don't think they are normal I think my auditory isresponding to something that is below my normal range of hearingof wavelengths of the wireless's microwave extremely low frequency's that could be interferring with our own magnetic fieldof our brains and also our bodies own natural electromagnetic fields But that's just my opinion
    dboots 96 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement