Discussions By Condition: Pregnancy

Can Being An Anemic Cause Miscarriages???

Posted In: Pregnancy 7 Replies
  • Posted By: howarth1329
  • December 11, 2006
  • 06:56 PM

I have had 3 miscarriges in the last 3 months, so the doctor decided to investigate and did aload of blood tests which came back im a severe anemic with a very low level of 4-im now on 600mg of iron tablets a day

i have been on them just over a month now and i have found out im pregnant (only time will tell ) so hopefully everything goes well !!

so the actual question is could lack off iron be the cause of my miscarriges????

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• well i would say that a lack of red blood cells makes you unable to carr oxygen to the placenta therefore none to the baby which will result in spontanious abortion
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2007
    • 11:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Nope absolutly not! I had severe anemia with my pregnancy and I have a perfectly healthy 7 month old daughter.
    Summersunshine 12 Replies Flag this Response
  • MiscarriageThis factsheet is for people who have had a miscarriage or for those who want to know more about them.Each year in the UK, hundreds of thousands of women are affected by miscarriage. A miscarriage is when a pregnancy ends before 24 weeks. In the vast majority of cases, there is no way of preventing a miscarriage.Having a miscarriage does not mean that you won't be able to get pregnant again, and most women go on to have a successful pregnancy.What is it?The medical definition of miscarriage is the spontaneous loss of a pregnancy before 24 weeks. Miscarriage is very common, occurring in 10 to 20 percent of confirmed pregnancies. Most of these occur in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.Miscarriage symptomsThe most common symptom is vaginal bleeding, which can range from light spotting to heavier than a period. You may see blood clots, brown discharge or other tissue that is not clearly identifiable. Sometimes a sac-like structure is seen.Often there is cramping, with pelvic or back-pain. You may find that the usual symptoms of pregnancy, such as breast tenderness, feeling sick and having to pass urine more frequently than usual, stop unexpectedly.Sometimes there are no signs or symptoms of miscarriage and pregnancy symptoms continue, and the miscarriage is only discovered in a routine scan.Why does it happen?About half of all early miscarriages happen because of a problem in the way genetic material from the egg and sperm has combined during fertilisation. It can be difficult to find out why this has happened but it is more likely to be due to random chance than to any underlying problem with either parent.Imbalances in pregnancy hormones, problems in the immune system, and some serious infections (not minor coughs or colds) are also thought to make miscarriages more likely. The risk of miscarriage increases with age, because the quality of eggs deteriorate. If a woman drinks too much alcohol or smokes heavily, the risk of a miscarriage is higher. It is also increased with multiple pregnancies, such as twins.If a woman has previously taken the contraceptive pill, the risk of having a miscarriage appears to be slightly reduced.While some studies suggest that stress may play a role in pregnancy loss, it hasn't been shown to cause miscarriages on its own. Research also indicates that doing moderate exercise or having sex whilst pregnant does not increase the risk of miscarriage.Often the cause of a miscarriage remains unknown. If a miscarriage has started there is very little that can be done to stop it.What should I do if I notice bleeding in pregnancy?If you experience vaginal bleeding at any time during pregnancy it is worth contacting your doctor or midwife for advice.You may be referred to an early pregnancy assessment unit, which is often based at a local hospital, and may be given an ultrasound scan.http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/miscarriage.html I got this information off of this web site so I hope this helps because anemic has to do with the blood and not with the misscarriages.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had 3 miscarriges in the last 3 months, so the doctor decided to investigate and did aload of blood tests which came back im a severe anemic with a very low level of 4-im now on 600mg of iron tablets a day i have been on them just over a month now and i have found out im pregnant (only time will tell ) so hopefully everything goes well !! so the actual question is could lack off iron be the cause of my miscarriges????...SO IF IM ANEMIC I COULD HAVE A MISCARAGEI USED TO SMOKE ALOT DURING MY PREGENCY LIKE THE FIRST 2-3 MONTHS I READ THAT U CAN HAVE TWINS IM SCARED THAT I MIGHT HAVE A MISCARAGEIVE HAD ONE BEFORE SO I KNIDA KNOE SOME CONDITIONS BUT THIS IS VERY COMPLICATED FOR MENO ONE CAN ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!I ALSO HAD TAKIN AN ABORTION SHOT AT MY 2 MONTHS CUASE OF MY MOMS REACTIONDO U THINK ANYTHING WILL HAPPEN???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2008
    • 00:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had 3 miscarriges in the last 3 months, so the doctor decided to investigate and did aload of blood tests which came back im a severe anemic with a very low level of 4-im now on 600mg of iron tablets a day i have been on them just over a month now and i have found out im pregnant (only time will tell ) so hopefully everything goes well !! so the actual question is could lack off iron be the cause of my miscarriges???? Hi ThereMy view is that there is a strong chance that anaemia can cause miscarriage. I have suffered two miscarriages this year; one at 11 weeks which showed up as a missed miscarriage when I went for a routine scan and had started also to have brownish blood loss. I went home and miscarried two days later. That was early Feb and I fell pregnant again in April. This time I was exceptionally careful, no gym, lots of vitamins, folic acid, iron etc and very heslthy eating, no caffeine, no alcohol and great relief at 12 weeks, thinking I was past the danger point. Wrong! I miscarried at 12 weeks 5 days , started at home and I knew what to expect so I didn't want to go to hospital. Unfortunately though the bleeding was seriously heavy and I passed out after 7 hrs of it, my husband took me to the Emergency room where I was put on two drips, given 2 bags of plasma and two pints of blood, followed by an operation to stop the bleeding later that day. It was absolutely awful. My blood pressure dropped so low and I was seeing stars. It's certainly put me off going through it again. My haemoglobin was only 6mg and I was told i was very anaemic. When I got home with my Iron meds etc and confined to bed to recover, I researched anaemia and found that my tiredness, dizziness, and perpetual breathlessness throughout the last few months indicate I've been anaemicfor some time and definitely impacted on my ability to sustain a pregnancy. i had visited my doctor back in April thinking i had asthma or a chest infection due to my wheeziness-he gave me antibiotics but said my chest was clear. Obviously I now realise I was having trouble breathing because of my low blood count. Maybe if I'd known I was anaemic I might have been able to correct it and my pregnancy might have worked out. It has been a terrible time. I know it's too late to change things but I think if you have any concerns about similar symptoms get a blood test as soon as you can. Some women may be fine throughout pregnancy with low iron but it dfeinitely isn't good for your developing baby. I also had no idea that taking my vitamins and iron with my breakfast cereal each day would limit the absorption of iron and this habit was not a good one. I changed from coffee to decaff tea but didn't know tean tannins inhibit iron absorption too. Condolences to anyone going through the pain and loss of miscarriage and good luck fr future attempts. I hear many happy tales of babies arriving safely after heartache so keep trying if you can. Best wishes ............Jo :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for sharing your experience. "They" say that stories don't prove a point, but they can serve to illustrate a point. I don't know if it is common knowledge that anemia impacts miscarriage rates, but they do know that anemia impacts ischemic heart disease and that family history of that does have a correlation to miscarriages. Anemia can be from diet or organic causes. - Maybe it runs in families because of availability and preferences in diet, as well as genetics. If you know you have anemia, yes, deal with it. I have anemia & have had multiple miscarriages, and have an arrhytmia. I am trying to watch my diet; exercise is more difficult withal the other issues, and I am past child bearing. However, all this leads me to want to talk with my children who are growing their families - to watch their iron and folate levels - avoid heart ache :-(of miscarriages. :-)Damaris Fish, Central Point, Oregon, USAHi ThereMy view is that there is a strong chance that anaemia can cause miscarriage. I have suffered two miscarriages this year; one at 11 weeks which showed up as a missed miscarriage when I went for a routine scan and had started also to have brownish blood loss. I went home and miscarried two days later. That was early Feb and I fell pregnant again in April. This time I was exceptionally careful, no gym, lots of vitamins, folic acid, iron etc and very heslthy eating, no caffeine, no alcohol and great relief at 12 weeks, thinking I was past the danger point. Wrong! I miscarried at 12 weeks 5 days , started at home and I knew what to expect so I didn't want to go to hospital. Unfortunately though the bleeding was seriously heavy and I passed out after 7 hrs of it, my husband took me to the Emergency room where I was put on two drips, given 2 bags of plasma and two pints of blood, followed by an operation to stop the bleeding later that day. It was absolutely awful. My blood pressure dropped so low and I was seeing stars. It's certainly put me off going through it again. My haemoglobin was only 6mg and I was told i was very anaemic. When I got home with my Iron meds etc and confined to bed to recover, I researched anaemia and found that my tiredness, dizziness, and perpetual breathlessness throughout the last few months indicate I've been anaemicfor some time and definitely impacted on my ability to sustain a pregnancy. i had visited my doctor back in April thinking i had asthma or a chest infection due to my wheeziness-he gave me antibiotics but said my chest was clear. Obviously I now realise I was having trouble breathing because of my low blood count. Maybe if I'd known I was anaemic I might have been able to correct it and my pregnancy might have worked out. It has been a terrible time. I know it's too late to change things but I think if you have any concerns about similar symptoms get a blood test as soon as you can. Some women may be fine throughout pregnancy with low iron but it dfeinitely isn't good for your developing baby. I also had no idea that taking my vitamins and iron with my breakfast cereal each day would limit the absorption of iron and this habit was not a good one. I changed from coffee to decaff tea but didn't know tean tannins inhibit iron absorption too. Condolences to anyone going through the pain and loss of miscarriage and good luck fr future attempts. I hear many happy tales of babies arriving safely after heartache so keep trying if you can. Best wishes ............Jo :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2011
    • 02:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Possibly, because when ur anemic, you lose iron in your blood. When you are pregnant, your baby shares everything in your body with you. If there isn't enough iron to go around, then the baby may not survive the pregnancy. I suggest you eat liver(packed with iron) and take iron supplements. Use this iron deficiency forum to discuss more about Anemia.
    ammymickens 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement