Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Sinus congestion for over 6 months

• Posted By: gracey
  • December 11, 2006
  • 06:07 PM

I have non-allergic asthma, mild flare ups of egzema and Rhinitis. I'm in good health for my age, exercise routinely and take vitamin supplements. Last year, I moved to Seattle. I take Foradil daily for my asthma. At the beginning of the summer, I developed a respiratory infection. I had an asthma flare up which took 4 months to get under control (albuterol, prednisone, antibiotics). However, my dilemma lately is related to my sinuses. I've had multiple sinus infections over the last year. I think the last sinus infection has finally been eliminated due to my latest prescription (Augmentin). However, my sinuses are runny and/or congested like never before. This has been going on for 6 months. I've spent countless $$ on all the tests (xrays, allergy, etc..). Everything appears normal but I'm congested a lot. I've been taking Allegra-D 24 hour. However, periodically, I still need a strong dose of psuedoephed to breath at night (which I've never taken in my life). Most the time it gives me relief. Sometimes, I'm still stuffed up and I reach for the Advil too (will anything help). First, what can I do to gain better control of this problem? :confused: I think red wine may excasberate my sinus inflammation. And, I notice skiing causes my nose to run constantly. Second, should I consider a different approach to treating this problem? Should I take something while I'm skiing? Should I take antihistimines at all? Thanks for your advise. :)

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• maybe you should look into getting surgery...
    breakfastsurreal 1 Replies
    • December 12, 2006
    • 03:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Perhaps seeing a Naturopathic Doctor may help your condition. I am an ND intern and I have had a few patients with symptoms like yours clear up with a hypoallergenic diet (many people with chronic congestion and sinusitus have food/chemical sensitivities), immune supportive vitamins, minerals and herbs (such as Deep Immune Astragalus Combo by St. Francis, high doses of vitamin C (not exceeding 1 g per hour) and using a Neti Pod with a salt/water rinse solution. Also a fungal infection in the sinuses could be maintaining a bacterial disharmony so an anti-fungal regime is in order. Steam inhalations using 1-2 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil can give relief with the other therapies. Also hydrotherapy to regulate the immune system: in your hot shower, turn on the cold for 1 minute 3-4 times or so and always end your shower on cold, this helps the lymph move and harmonize with blood flow. You don't need surgery or expensive drugs that only mask the true reason your body is showing the symptoms in the first place, you need to balance your life, your diet, getting enough water and exercise. Look into the alternatives! In health, A. Vollmer
    DaliaDawn 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement