Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

sore throat over a year now-HELP!!!!!

• Posted By: after10
  • December 11, 2006
  • 03:38 AM

I have had a chronic sore throat,but it has been for about a year now.It got to the point where even oxycodone didnt really help & then I got scared.They did find severe candida esophagitis...the yeast infection in the esophagus..& they treated me,but it has only helped a little.I have also been treated for acid reflux with 3 diff meds for about 3 mos..it helps a little......ANy suggestions anyone has would be so much appreciated....I am in a lot of pain & my ENT doctor & gastroenterologist & family doctor are somewhat at a loss & I am now being treated for depression & on disability from work & terrrified that I will lose my job,b/c I'm a single mother.My family doctor now wants me to get tested for hiv & diabetes & some other things.....I AM SO DESPERATE! I'm now on doc's orders not to talk & this is affecting my life so much,HELP?

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• this is probably going to sound stupid so dont make fun but have you been tested for strep?
    always the sinuses 3 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 04:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • yes, i have been tested for strep...it has been negative every time.running out ideas.(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 03:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you tryed Nystatin Oral? I don't think anyone should take it for more than a few days, but it does seem to work on the problem you are having. If I were you I would get some good old fashion peroxide & use as a mouth wash-3-4 times a day. Mix half & half with water.This works for me--most of the time.Good luck.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2006
    • 09:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • whta is nyastatin oral? no i haven't tried yet...but after a year of no answers & tons of tests & meds,I am always willing to try something new.I havent tried peroxide,but i did try organic vinegar & salt water...both hurt..not helped..thanks for the info.-after10
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 09:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would suggest doing a biopsy to check for any abnormal growths or cells. I have been having a sore throat for many months too and all of my test results come up negative. We are going to do a biopsy to check for that - and then also it could be allergies. You don't always know when your sinuses are draining due to allergies and this can cause a sore throat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too suffered from a sore throat and stomach pains and probably a candida infection the reason your doctor wants to check you for hiv is because the candida fungus usually thrives on a weakened immune system. But dont take that so bad stress also waekens the immune system and if you think back you will probably find that your sore throat began after a dose of antibiotics even though you have been treated for candida have you been rechecked I know this may sound crazy but there are natural healthy bacteria in yoghurtI just happened to eat some one day and my throat began to feel better , if this works consider taking probiotics and dont worry , sounds easy dont it.Understand that once you shift your bodies system it is very slow to recover but for me I ate about four ounces of youghurt every two hours and it must say live and active cultures on it. good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 09:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you read earlier my post about my own sore throat that will not go away? I posted it just a few days ago, and I include some of again it below. Don't know if this is the same as you, but I have not been able to find out what's wrong with me yet.If I do, I'll let you know. john-ph@lycos.comA few years ago I got a bad sore throat, that started with an infection on the roof of the mouth, by that dangling bit (the uvula).I was in excellent health, so I thought nothing of it. Several weeks later, however, my throat had not cleared up, and the infection was spreading down my wind pipe.A month later, it spread further: my nose and sinuses started to get infected, producing heavy, thick mucus; my lungs became a little infected, with a mild cough, and my stomach started aching a little, making bubbling sounds now and then, and producing a bit a gas.Then my gums began to get attacked by the virus, my gum line receded by several millimeters in quite a short time, exposing previously covered areas of my teeth.Soon after, "pins and needles" sensations started to appear all over body, especially in my legs, but also in my arms, hands and torso. These prickly twinges seemed to come from my muscles, but I am not sure exactly where. It seemed that the virus was spreading widely.Then some strange mental symptoms began. This started out with a weird feeling, which I can only describe as a 'social phobia', which left me feeling shy, tense and uncomfortable with friends, and on any social occasions. Emotionally, I felt frail and weak, and I found myself avoiding social contact more and more because of this.Also, a strong apathy and mental laziness developed. The apathy was towards all sorts of tasks and activities. My normal "can do" attitude was replaced by a "I can't be bothered" feeling, which is totally out of character, as I am normally a pro-active and highly organized person. How can a virus produce such powerful psychological changes?Very noticeable physical and mental fatigue were also taking hold, making me need more and more rest and sleep. I began to find myself dropping off to sleep at odd times. Tireness seemed present all the time.My doctor seems to think that this infection will eventually go away, but I see no evidence of that myself. I assume it is a virus infection, because my doctor did a bacterial swab on my throat, and this showed nothing. In case you are wndering, I am HIV negative, and was in good health previous to this infection.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 02:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have something similar, fever sore throat then it turns to cough. Ive had it 9 times in 12 months. they tested me in the beginning for strep and it was negative. I get white ulcers/blisters on my throat and one or both of my tonsils swells. I'm tired of being sick.
    ursaminor 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello everyone! I know what it is like to have a constant sore throat for a long time. I have had a constant sore throat for almost 6 years now. I had my tonsils out in 2002 because I kept getting tonsilitus and strep. The recovery for me was awful but the surgeon said it would take time. Since then I have not stopped having a sore throat. It hurts so bad and is making it hard for me to get through every day. I have been to MANY MANY doctors. Local doctors to KU medical center to the Mayo clinic in MN twice. The doctors don't know what is wrong. I have had blood taken....xrays done, cameras down my throat and everything. I don't know what else to do but surely there is somone else in the workd with this problem :( Any body have any ideas?
    Girl4God15 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Girl4God15 sorry to read about your problems. I too have had a sore throat for a year now. my gastorlogist thinks its acid reflux and my ent thinks it may be nerve damage. Did they ever check you for nerve damage? they do something called an Laryngeal Electromyography EMG. Look it up I have not had it done yet but I am thinking about it. I too am thinking about going to Mayo clinic.
    jasonv11 1 Replies
    • September 30, 2008
    • 07:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • EEEEEEEH check out to see if you have pollips on your throat. these can be caused by stress, hard talking/over-talking, crying, singing too hard or singing when dehydrated.they are very painful and also give you vocal fatigue. I had them for a long time from singing dehydrated and tired, and a lot of people have them and dont even know.ask your doc about it :)or google it!;)Sheridan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Ive had a sore throat for the past 2 years now, and no relief ...i've tried cough meds the doctor put me on antibiotics but no luck ???? Im out of ideas as to what to do??? the doctor says its not my tonsils, and my throat looks fine but Im constantly coughing & clearing my throat my sinuses hurt and I get bad ear & headaches from them ... my family is so tired of hearing me constantly clearing my throat & sinuses .... and so am I ...hate the headaches I get from from all this :( anyone know of any good ideas to relieve this??? My first thought was I hope its not throat cancer, because I have been smoking for 23 years now... anyone have any suggestions??? or answers please let me kow /...thank youfrom: suffering for 2 yrs
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 20, 2009
    • 07:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a chronic sore throat,but it has been for about a year now.It got to the point where even oxycodone didnt really help & then I got scared.They did find severe candida esophagitis...the yeast infection in the esophagus..& they treated me,but it has only helped a little.I have also been treated for acid reflux with 3 diff meds for about 3 mos..it helps a little......ANy suggestions anyone has would be so much appreciated....I am in a lot of pain & my ENT doctor & gastroenterologist & family doctor are somewhat at a loss & I am now being treated for depression & on disability from work & terrrified that I will lose my job,b/c I'm a single mother.My family doctor now wants me to get tested for hiv & diabetes & some other things.....I AM SO DESPERATE! I'm now on doc's orders not to talk & this is affecting my life so much,HELP?Try sitting down in your walk.. do everything gently.. sleep in a ball curled up .. your body can only make physiological changes when your sleep .. drink more water and take vitamin E.. see if you start improving
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2009
    • 11:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello everyone! I know what it is like to have a constant sore throat for a long time. I have had a constant sore throat for almost 6 years now. I had my tonsils out in 2002 because I kept getting tonsilitus and strep. The recovery for me was awful but the surgeon said it would take time. Since then I have not stopped having a sore throat. It hurts so bad and is making it hard for me to get through every day. I have been to MANY MANY doctors. Local doctors to KU medical center to the Mayo clinic in MN twice. The doctors don't know what is wrong. I have had blood taken....xrays done, cameras down my throat and everything. I don't know what else to do but surely there is somone else in the workd with this problem :( Any body have any ideas?Hello! I understand your problem. I did my voice in from singing and has hurt on and off for almost 3 years. I tried different ENT's, painkillers, etc. but to no effect. Then I went to China and tried acupuncture (yes, China!) . Stuck needles in my throat and hands. After about 5 sessions I became pain free for longer times, although it still hurts. I am going to continue the therapy for a while longer. my email is jinbailong@gmail.com
  • Guys I have had very similar symptoms. Chronic sore throat for over 10 years, tonsils out, GERD and lower GI pain, ulcers in my mouth. Developing what feels like arthritis in my hands. 10 years of doctors, they didn't have a clue. Well someone talked me into trying a diet of only lemonade and maple syrup as a way to lose weight. I know that sounds stupid but thats not the point. When I went on this diet all my symptoms went away. First time in a decade. It appears that I have at a minimum an allergy or intolerance to wheat and possibly milk. The allergy tests came back negative but I know my body and when I stop eating wheat my symptoms go away. Try taking claritin and see if that helps your throat. In addition I would immediately start an elimination diet to see if your symptoms go away. I was tested for every bacteria and virus under the sun and all were negative. For some reason docs seem to be very poor at diagnosing this. I really had to take my health care in my own hands to correct this. Hope this helps.Jim
  • i have had this for over two years. i cant recall now when it started. maybe more than that. i did not pay to much mind till it just did not go away. ok i wonder to persons who complain . what do u do for living. orientation career. person conatact race. also do you have stressful life. abuse in past parental or other abuse trauma issues.? any sign of muscular or neurological issues . eye sight. MS history. i think i might be losing muscle function from dr failuter to treat ptsd and abuse trauma and condtions that came after that. i began to have eye problems backward vision and other, and this soar throat. that is possible i began to suspect an issue was i saw muscles also getting weak and possible my muscles in throat are falling down into my wind pipe making it hard for me to speak.. i noticed this a month ago when i did an experiemnt not being able to sing again or speak without pain. wen i tilt my head backwards i could speak better.. i have pain constantly like a soar throat. no dr did any test. i also considered yeast.. no dr responded to my complaints or reported history of trauma . or what was going on. i had veyr abusive medical care. i was also a honor student and very medically gifted and not a med student. very wise smart and other. i had very good health but bad drs and poor care and had to take care of my self alone. i was also healthy al my life no drugs. but suffered a period of ptsd abuse by family and others. this put me at risk. despite i had a very miracle recovery , in past few years after 19 years of rise up and new life. i was also subject to extremely abusive and very evil boys. im a female. and persons with very negative lives.. i took very good care to get to drs as soon as i saw i was in threat. but i was never given respect. now im in very deep **** medicaly even with my own efforts. persons got into my life to damaged my healty and life. the soar throat thing is what made me come here. i also now have alergies. have gotten this weird sinus flue twice now. where i have bloody mucus smelly mucus and never had before.. that drove me to a dr tosee if i had any kind of gyn issue which probably also do and dr just not care to bother to see. i live in nyc and going to a dr is like if your not healthy .you dont belong there. like that. or put it this way if ur sick theydont want to see you its like a social club not a dr office.
    aholmagnet
    • December 20, 2013
    • 00:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have anybof you seen this? Http://chronicsorethroat.wordpress.com ???
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • February 10, 2014
    • 07:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you seen the article by Hip on chronicsorethroat dot wordpress dot com its everything some of you have been going tgru for somw of you. Its a horrid disease!
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • February 10, 2014
    • 07:59 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement