Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Menopause vaginal itching??

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 9, 2006
  • 03:56 PM

I had a hysterectomy in 1999, so I know that I have menopause, but recently I've had constant itching around the clitoris and vaginal irritation and burning after sex. I've tried hormone creams and anti itch creams. I want to know what might be causing this and what I can do about it. Help???

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• I know it sounds weird, but it could be HPV. I am a perimenopausal woman who has had few sex partners, so I didn't think of myself as a prime candidate for STDs. That and I always have my partner use condoms until we both get tested. But they say that as many as 80% of women up to the age of 50 have HPV.I had burning symptoms (around urethra, clitoris and on labia) after sex. Thought it was the spermicide on the condom so we made sure we used non-spermicidal condoms. Thought it was the lubricant so we tried another. Thought we weren't using enough so we used it like a five-year-old puts ketchup on his hot dog (lol). No luck. I began to wonder if it was related to perimenopause (more things are blamed on menopause or perimenopause than they should be, which means that women are age tend to put up with rather than seek treatment or force further testing).An intense yeast infection that standard treatments weren't healing sent me to the doctor and the pap smear came back abnormal, but with a strong indication of HPV. Surprise, surprise. I'd never had an STD of any sort and never thought of myself as being a candidate.If a pap smear doesn't indicate anything, the other thing you might want to look at is the clitoral hood. I did find (in my intense research) that with some women smegma can get under the hood, especially if it is really tight over the head or if it is really large and covers the clitoris as well as the shaft. This can build up and cause irritation especially in older women whose skin is thinning and who don't produce as much lubrication. But this wouldn't explain the burning around the vaginal opening, so you'd have to find a cause for that.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2006
    • 10:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi...your problem down there could be a simple symptom of menopause. During menopause the ovaries stop producing hormones that gives the vagina its natural lubrication. so what your experiencing could be vaginal dryness. that's why it feels itchy. try over the counter vaginal moisturizers like replens. this helps restores vaginal moisture, getting rid of the dry skin down there in the first few uses. it also helps improve your sexual experience now that you are at menopausal stage. hope this helps...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2008
    • 02:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ask your doc to give you a script for two doses of Diflucan. One for the first week and one for the second week. I think you have a yeast infection. After menopause, it doesn't look or act like a normal yeast infection. Just dry and itchy. Go to your gynecologist and get tested for HPV, get the script and then go to the drugstore and get the pills and some of the vaginal lubricant. Do you use a condom? Are you allergic to latex or the spermicide?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • January 15, 2008
    • 11:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • A yeast infection looks like itching at vagina. Vaginal yeast infection occurs when there is an imbalance of yeast cells in the vaginal area. If you have itching or burning in the genital area and increased amounts of discharge that has an abnormal color, odor, or consistency, you probably have a vaginal infection. This is particularly due to dryness and vaginal discharge. This is the first symptom generally observed during yeast infections. This kind of yeast infection looks like other skin infections characterized by itching and redness. Destinol, the miracle product specifically designed for getting rid of vaginal odor, is making waves. And it works beautifully over antibiotic treatment, since it displays no side effects.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 20, 2008
    • 09:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Lichen Simplex or Lichen Sclerosis.
    sunflowery 7 Replies
    • November 3, 2008
    • 03:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My severe itching started during chemotherapy which brought on menopause. For years I have worn a pantiliner for stress incontinence but seem to be very irritated from them now. Since menopause creates a thinning of the vaginal skin, I wondered if the skin was reacting differently to the urine. I am now using Tuck pads many times a day to stay as clean as possible. I do think it is helping.Tonight I was desperate, and used a product called Viodine....a betadine shampoo that I had bought at the farm supply store and used it for a dogs skin problems. It says it is meant for horses, pigs, cats and dogs, but it is used to treat all fungal and bacterial skin infections. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. I am amazed at how well it seemed to work. It said to leave it on for 3 minutes and I feel like I have got some real relief. I am sure you can buy a human grade betadine shampoo....but I also think the farm supply product is going to be much cheaper.I know that we are all willing to try just about anything at this point. Since I am feeling some relief...I thought I would share what I did.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2008
    • 07:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Reply to perimenopausal vaginal itching:Try mixing a little pure aloe vera gel with 1 drop of Grapefruit seed extract and apply to area that is itching... also switch soaps - Cracker Barrel sells castile - natural coconut oil.why use chemicals when my itching has stopped for several days now with above treatment. works great. Hope this helps someone!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2010
    • 00:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 29 years old, female. It was Saturday evening and I started experiencing vaginal itching. Initially I thought it is because of sweat later realized that it has more added symptoms like redness and discharge. Consulted the gyno even he though it is because of yeast infection and instructed to use some medicines which did not show any effect. Later when I consulted again she came to a conclusion that it is menopause vaginal itching. It was hard for me to walk and sit in friends. I later collected some information on vaginal itching, its effects and treatments for it.
    adriabold 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Reply to perimenopausal vaginal itching:Try mixing a little pure aloe vera gel with 1 drop of Grapefruit seed extract and apply to area that is itching... also switch soaps - Cracker Barrel sells castile - natural coconut oil.why use chemicals when my itching has stopped for several days now with above treatment. works great. Hope this helps someone!I have found success in treating post menopausal vaginal itching that has plagued me for years. I have worn out underwear and tried to master mind techniques recommended by my M.D. to ignore the urge to scratch. Finally I sought advice from a pharmacist for an over the counter remedy that WORKS!!! It is called Canesten Cream (Clotrimazole Hydrocortisone) Only occassionally since treatment have I felt the urge to scratch and it is now very controllable whereby before it was impossible to ignore. Wishing you success as well!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • provacyl is also a good product you should use it,i heard a lot it....here is a site with provacyl details hope you find it helpful...http://www.provacylreview.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2011
    • 10:10 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement