Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

Urine smells like ham

Posted In: Urinary conditions 18 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 9, 2006
  • 03:41 PM

For many months now, my urine has had a strong smokey ham odor. That is the best I can describe it. It occurs in the mornings. I have tried to relate it to food or medications. But I can not find a relationship to anything. I have asked my doctor about it and she did not have an answer. I did not have an infection. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? It is very unpleasant and worrisome.
Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• Oddly I came to this site for the same reason. I have noticed this occurring if I eat asparagus and it is particularly strong during my menstrual cycle. Do you keep a list of the foods that you eat to see if there is one food or drink that you consistently consume? If you do this then try eliminating that substance for a week and see if the odor is eliminated. Remeber to write down what meds you might be taking to include vitamins as well as prescription drugs.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • OK, finally the same thing happened to me. I am asymptomatic otherwise. So now what? I did notice a stronger smell in the AM. I do not take any drugs or supplements. And I have the same diet for years. I keep myself well hydrated. I recall this happening before in my 20's when I was on the birth control pill. I have been off of the Pill for 15 years. The smell is a hammy bacon type of smell. I am a 45 yo Female with no health issues at all.:confused:
    NeedADoc 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Okay...same issue... i dont get it i am 29 and never had this problem before. i am going to see the doc next week but i dont know why i have this smell i have changed nothing but if i get an answer i will post it
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2009
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my pee has smelt weird for a few months and ive just recently realized that the smell is ham. it smelt like this for like a month maybe 2 years ago and then once for about a week last year. this time it wont go away. it doesnt matter how much water i drink or what i eat. and its always lemon yellow (even if ive drank a lot of fluids). im 21, female and 115lbs. i was concerned it was an std but ive been tested after every time the smell has appeared and the tests are always negative. if anyone knows what causes this, let me know
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2009
    • 01:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • my pee has smelt weird for a few months and ive just recently realized that the smell is ham. it smelt like this for like a month maybe 2 years ago and then once for about a week last year. this time it wont go away. it doesnt matter how much water i drink or what i eat. and its always lemon yellow (even if ive drank a lot of fluids). im 21, female and 115lbs. i was concerned it was an std but ive been tested after every time the smell has appeared and the tests are always negative. if anyone knows what causes this, let me knowHormonal imbalance. I recently experienced the same thing, and I'm three times your age. It started suddenly, was very strong, and wouldn't go away. Smokey ham smell. After reading all the other posts here and doing a little research and experimenting, I can only conclude that this smell reflects a hormonal imbalance. probably of adrenal hormones, probably DHEA and its metabolites. I was taking DHEA supplements; you aren't, but DHEA production is at its height during your 20's and its higher in men than women, and more than one guy has complained of this. So, I quit taking all DHEA and DHEA precursors and the situation immediately improved, but still didn't completely disappear. I am now taking high dose melatonin (30 mg/bedtime), a hormone which acts as a VERY powerful antioxidant at this concentration with the idea of "cleaning up" my tissues. After four days on this, the ham smell virtually disappeared. I do mean COMPLETELY gone: morning, noon, night. I plan to stay on this for twelve days, go off and see what happens. You might want to experiment with other antioxidants. Melatonin makes you VERY sleepy unless you're deficient. It takes 6-8 hours to metabolize. Too much makes you feel hung-over. But it seems to work. The real question is what is causing your adrenals to over-produce DHEA?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2010
    • 06:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hormonal imbalance. I recently experienced the same thing, and I'm three times your age. It started suddenly, was very strong, and wouldn't go away. Smokey ham smell. After reading all the other posts here and doing a little research and experimenting, I can only conclude that this smell reflects a hormonal imbalance. probably of adrenal hormones, probably DHEA and its metabolites. I was taking DHEA supplements; you aren't, but DHEA production is at its height during your 20's and its higher in men than women, and more than one guy has complained of this. So, I quit taking all DHEA and DHEA precursors and the situation immediately improved, but still didn't completely disappear. I am now taking high dose melatonin (30 mg/bedtime), a hormone which acts as a VERY powerful antioxidant at this concentration with the idea of "cleaning up" my tissues. After four days on this, the ham smell virtually disappeared. I do mean COMPLETELY gone: morning, noon, night. I plan to stay on this for twelve days, go off and see what happens. You might want to experiment with other antioxidants. Melatonin makes you VERY sleepy unless you're deficient. It takes 6-8 hours to metabolize. Too much makes you feel hung-over. But it seems to work. The real question is what is causing your adrenals to over-produce DHEA?I pretty much think this is exactly the problem. I have been experiencing the same issues and I could not figure it out until I asked my friend who is in nursing school who suggested a hormonal imbalance. I have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarie syndrome) which is a popular symptom of high DHEA levels. I think that the over-production of DHEA from the adrenals is the main cause of the ham smelling urine. I will defintely try melatonin to see if it it will work:)
  • for many months now, my urine has had a strong smokey ham odor. That is the best i can describe it. It occurs in the mornings. I have tried to relate it to food or medications. But i can not find a relationship to anything. I have asked my doctor about it and she did not have an answer. I did not have an infection. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? It is very unpleasant and worrisome.Thank you.mine smells like it to !~
  • I pretty much think this is exactly the problem. I have been experiencing the same issues and I could not figure it out until I asked my friend who is in nursing school who suggested a hormonal imbalance. I have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarie syndrome) which is a popular symptom of high DHEA levels. I think that the over-production of DHEA from the adrenals is the main cause of the ham smelling urine. I will defintely try melatonin to see if it it will work:)That would explain a lot. Mine started in April, after I had missed a period. My periods resumed in May, but they haven't been the same. I'm 48, so I'm guessing perimenopausal? The last time I had that smell was right after I had given birth to my daughter, and it lasted for weeks. I'll try the melatonin too, and see if that helps.
  • You may want to get your blood sugar checked for diabetes. I noticed this smell too and was checked out and found I had Type 2 diabetes. The bacon smell is a mixture of the body's natural chemistry mixed with the sugar in your blood.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2010
    • 04:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hormonal imbalance. I recently experienced the same thing, and I'm three times your age. It started suddenly, was very strong, and wouldn't go away. Smokey ham smell. After reading all the other posts here and doing a little research and experimenting, I can only conclude that this smell reflects a hormonal imbalance. probably of adrenal hormones, probably DHEA and its metabolites. I was taking DHEA supplements; you aren't, but DHEA production is at its height during your 20's and its higher in men than women, and more than one guy has complained of this. So, I quit taking all DHEA and DHEA precursors and the situation immediately improved, but still didn't completely disappear. I am now taking high dose melatonin (30 mg/bedtime), a hormone which acts as a VERY powerful antioxidant at this concentration with the idea of "cleaning up" my tissues. After four days on this, the ham smell virtually disappeared. I do mean COMPLETELY gone: morning, noon, night. I plan to stay on this for twelve days, go off and see what happens. You might want to experiment with other antioxidants. Melatonin makes you VERY sleepy unless you're deficient. It takes 6-8 hours to metabolize. Too much makes you feel hung-over. But it seems to work. The real question is what is causing your adrenals to over-produce DHEA?I read this and am not having the ham smell but I was tested and have high DHEA. Went to endrocrine doctor and all the tests came back negative. So even if you get the tests, you still may not know why the DHEA is high. I would however, check before trying the melatonin, it could have adverse effects. The high DHEA could be Cushings Disease or another adrenal issue like a tumor. Also, they will check Pituatory gland. Sorry not trying to scare anyone. I am going to do more research on the melatonin and hopefully that resolves my issue. The is a correlation on an article I read earlier with sleep patterns, melatonin and high DHEA, so you may be on to something. Thanks for posting this info.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2010
    • 01:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had this happen once recently and two days later I came down with a nasty cold.Always between 48 to 24 hours before a cold I will have some strange transient symptom and each time it is something totally different.:cool:
    bigboy 64 Replies
    • September 24, 2010
    • 08:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I HAVE BEEN GOING ON THIS SITE FOR ALMOST A YEAR TRYING TO SEE WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH ME. I had NO symptoms other than my urine smelling AWFUL. It was so embarassing. The smell was horrifying. I finally has a urine sample done and I had a UTI the whole time and didnt know it, because I didnt have one symptom of a UTI. Thank God I was put on an antbiotic for 3 days (cipro) 2xs a day. Ladies, its sooo worth it, expecially if you are on this site. I have read so many things on here and was so worried that I had cancer or some other bad health condition. It was just a UTI for me, but I had it for A LONG TIME and didnt know it. The smell you are getting is caused from bacteria. Get the antibiotic, it can lead to kidney infection and get worse.I hope this helps. Get that antibiotic! P.S. its been 3 weeks and the smell is GONE :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2011
    • 07:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hormonal imbalance.My strange surgical/chemical odor started after my hysterectomy, one ovary removal and vaginal repairs. The catheter was removed after 5 days. Since I refused to do the 'bladder test' (proving I was releasing the full contents of my bladder), and was warned for a bladder infection, I initially thought the smell was a symptom of an oncoming bladder infection. I started a quart of cranberry juice, diluted, and drank a gallon of fluids for 4 days. This took away the bad odor in the course of the day, but it returned as soon as I reduced the fluid intake.I had also received a cooked ham as a gift for christmas. I never eat pork, but appreciated the gift. However, I then realized my urine smelled strongly like this cooked ham, and fed the rest of it to the dog. But the odor never went away, and this is now more than 8 weeks ago.Since my hormone balance probably is affected by just having one ovary left, I am curious to find out more about DHEA. I did start taking magnesium (450mg) and melatonine (500mcg = .5mg) after the surgery, both to relax/sleep better, and wondered if these might cause it, but there are no changes if I don't take them.The odor is less when I drink more in the course of the day and strongest in the morning and if I don't drink enough. So it does fluctuate. But something has definitely changed in my chemistry as a result of my surgery.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2011
    • 11:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for ages because my urine started smelling like ham/bacon/popcorn about a year ago and I finally found out what is wrong with me! I've been dealing with recurring bladder infections for as long as I can remember. I used to take medication about 9 times a year for it, but then that depleted my immune system and caused a whole other host of problems for me. Finally, I found D-Mannose which is a naturally occurring simple sugar which helps detract bacteria from the bladder walls. I've been taking D-Mannose for about 3 years and since then have stopped with the antibiotics. About a year ago my urine started smelling like ham/bacon. I was pretty concerned at first and though it was because I was eating more protein that usual. I asked my doctor - she had no clue. I asked my naturopath - she had no clue. Finally I went to a urologist for that issue as well as the recurring UTIs. In that visit, her did a urine culture and it came back positive, even though I wasn't experiencing any symptoms. He put me on 5 days of Cipro and since then the bacon/ham smell has completely disappeared. It sounds like this smells is caused by an infection and the best thing to do would be to get a urine culture. If your culture comes back negative, I would suggest doing it again - also aim for a morning test. I really hope this helps everyone. It was pretty upsetting things to have happen and to not have anyone know what to do about it.
    blad17 1 Replies
    • February 24, 2012
    • 01:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm only 15 and as of now I'm having the same issue. It's not because of age or any diabetes issue. You shouldn't be concerned if you are a female. And almost 75% of people with this problem are female. If you are a male, you may need to see a doctor. But if you are a typical female, it is just a sign that you are about to be; or are on your menstrual cycle. Don't listen to the disturbing comments of blood sugars, age concerns, or diabetes. You're fine. ;)
    Brink Motocross 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you so much for this. I think you are right, because I have been experiencing this lately as well. I thought at first that I wasn't drinking enough water, so I drank more. But it did not stop. However, I have PCOS as well. I pretty much think this is exactly the problem. I have been experiencing the same issues and I could not figure it out until I asked my friend who is in nursing school who suggested a hormonal imbalance. I have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarie syndrome) which is a popular symptom of high DHEA levels. I think that the over-production of DHEA from the adrenals is the main cause of the ham smelling urine. I will defintely try melatonin to see if it it will work:)
    Hollyhood0687 1 Replies
    • September 13, 2013
    • 05:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The first time I had this it turned out to be a kidney infection that came from a UTI. I never get UTI symptoms. The second time I had the smell is was a kidney infection as well. I now have it again and am going to the doctor tomorrow. It's something that should be checked out immediately.
    Bellapierson 2 Replies
    • October 14, 2013
    • 09:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this is exactly what happened to me. I never get regular UTI symptoms and it went to a full blown kidney infection. after researching that ham/bacon smell is a symptom of UTI/Kidney infecitons
    Bellapierson 2 Replies
    • October 14, 2013
    • 10:17 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement