Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

episcleritis- alternative treatment

Posted In: Eye conditions 72 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 1, 2006
  • 00:52 AM

I have had recurrent episcleritis every spring and fall for 9 years (confirmed by multiple opthamologists including doctors at Duke and in Baltimore. I have used topical NSAIDS and steroids. Adding doxycycline helped to control the severity. The steroids only helped a little, but my eyes were so red, it was worth the hint of improvement. In searching for an alternative for when I become pregnant (since Doxycycline is contraindicated), I found evening primrose oil. Since starting evening primrose oil 1300 mg twice daily, I have had no recurrences!! My rosacea is also better. I am eager to share this option since using the steroids all those years have just put me at risk for cataracts. Since starting these herbals, the gritty eye feeling is gone, no more discomfort, and no more redness!!! I plan to write all my prior opthamologists so they can consider this as an option as well.
Although episcleritis is a benign condition, for those who have recurring disease, this may be a blessing.

Reply Flag this Discussion

72 Replies:

• Can you tell me how long it took for the Evening Primrose to work? I have had the same problem recurring for a little over a year now in one eye, and now it has started suddenly occuring in both eyes! I to am taking the steroidal eye drops. Also what brand of Evening Primrose do you use? Thank you for the post! I just bought some, and I started using it for about a week now. I pray this works.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 16, 2006
    • 10:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am also struggling with recurrent episcleritis in my left eye for last one year. Steroid drops have helped to clear it but when I stop using the drops then it reoccurs. Could you please let me know as to what brand of evening Primrose Oil did you use and also which store did you buy it from. I would like to try your treatment and hope that it will help me also.Thanks for your help.I have had recurrent episcleritis every spring and fall for 9 years (confirmed by multiple opthamologists including doctors at Duke and in Baltimore. I have used topical NSAIDS and steroids. Adding doxycycline helped to control the severity. The steroids only helped a little, but my eyes were so red, it was worth the hint of improvement. In searching for an alternative for when I become pregnant (since Doxycycline is contraindicated), I found evening primrose oil. Since starting evening primrose oil 1300 mg twice daily, I have had no recurrences!! My rosacea is also better. I am eager to share this option since using the steroids all those years have just put me at risk for cataracts. Since starting these herbals, the gritty eye feeling is gone, no more discomfort, and no more redness!!! I plan to write all my prior opthamologists so they can consider this as an option as well. Although episcleritis is a benign condition, for those who have recurring disease, this may be a blessing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2006
    • 06:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Evening primrose oil is not reccommended for use during pregnancy or during breastfeeding. Be careful even with naturopathic treatments. Best of luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 01:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • episcleritis is making me crazy now :( i have it for like a year. Once in spring and 2nd time in fall :( now its winter its very warm outside and i have it again. Now when i stop using drops after 4-5 days, it comes back again :( But this time my eye is not red, only little pain when i touch the bottom part. My doctor told me(when i came to him first time) also to use cold herbal tea as drops that might help. I will c what will happen in couple of days, since i didnt used it first 2 times. This is so stupid im 25 years old and have to deal with this :(Also i have one question. Im going to fitness for last 20 days. I hope that cant effect this stupid episcleritis, or?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2007
    • 00:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • the tea is called Chamomilla on english i think
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2007
    • 01:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get it every two weeks or so for a day or two. It has been about a year now. I have tried everything to get rid of the redness and I can say this...Evening Primrose Oil does NOTHING for me. I have used it for two months now and nothing has improved. Very annoyed about this and I do not want to start using medicine that may get rid of the redness at the expense of other health risks. I wish there was some way to control this as it would appear that once every two weeks, one of my eyes is very embarassing to me.Ron
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have suffered episcleritis for about 3 years. Initially it occured at intervals of several months and became more and more frequent. Now, I literally get it in either one or both eyes every week, if not every 2. I use the steroid drops and they help after a few days, but once i stop it comes back. I've had all the blood work done and nothing was found...I am so desperate to find a solution to the redness. I am only 20 years old and the thought of having to deal with this the rest of my life is so frustrating. It's so embarassing to have people think you have pink eye or something--especially since I am in school and around people, and work in the health care industry. Any other alternatives/suggestions that have worked for people would be great...I am willing to try just about ANYTHING
  • It feels much better to know I am not alone in my situation. I have had episcleritis for about 3 years now, however mine does not come and go, it has just gotten worse and worse over the years. I've been through all the sterioids, etc and just started doxyclycline 4 days ago. It definitely helps with the pain but the redness has not gone away at all and the side effect of my eye sensitivity to light and the sun is not really worth it. I am going to try the evening primrose oil as well and will keep everyone updated. Maybe if we all stick to this post we can help eachother out.
  • Does anyone know how long it should take for the primrose oil to start working? I have been taking them for about 2 weeks now and have seen no improvement :(
    sadeyes 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am so glad to see that I am not alone in this - I just started getting this 3 months ago, and already this is the 3rd time having it. I started out with just steroid drops, then the last time the eye dr. gave me drops with antibiotics in it - it cleared up, but now its back! I hate that people think I have pinkeye - ugh. I can't imagine having this for years!!
  • Dear fellow sufferers:I am surfing the web tonight looking for new info on episcleritis. I have had epi for 13 years. I do notice that my eyes flare up whenever I am under stress, but they also have been known to flare for no discernable reason. I too am sick to death of the embarrassment of dark red eyes as well as the comments from my coworkers and the children in my school. I don't think my case has anything to do with seasons as I have it frequently all year. Also, I tend to have it frequently in both eyes now and the pain is much worse. I feel sick to my stomach because it hurts so badly. I have tried putting hot rags on my eyes, staying in a dark room, dark glasses, etc. It is sooooo frustrating. Especially since my favorite hobby is reading. I use steroid drops and take copious amounts of ibuprofen, but wonder about side effects. Help!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Heh guys, I started getting a red eye about a month ago and saw my eye doctor and first he said it was Phlyctenular keratoconjunctivitis, and gave me Zylet for 4 day, this cleared it up and of course it then came back a week later. I then went back and he says it is episcleritsis and we then tried Bacitracin for a week and that made no effect. So then back on the Zylet for 4 days and then swicthed to Acular for a week. Well the acular made no difference and 5 days after stopping the Zylet my eye is again red. So now I am going back this week to see the doc and see whats next. I have noticed from looking around the web that Restasis i.e cyclosporin is being used by some MD for it, so that will be safer than the steroids, but can take a month to start to work. How does everyone else deal with this pesky thing?rich
  • I had episcleritis in 2004 and use prednisone eye drops which helped for a while, but ultimately didn't help. I tried Acular -- that didn't help. Saline eye drops to deal with the dryness. Homeopathic hypericum/calendula eye washes. That didn't help. Finally I stopped everything. Eventually it went away after months.Now I have it again and the opthamologist wants me to douse it with steroid drops again. I am very reluctant to do so. I can't believe that this condition of the eye is unrelated to the rest of my body, and I wonder what else is happening. I'm looking for a more holistic approach. I also notice that it flared up two days after I got one of those Treo type gizmos for reading your email on your cell phone. Doctor says it is entirely unrelated to eye strain, but ...
  • I started thinking about all of the medicines I have tried and decided to make a list. Perhaps someone will see something I have not tried? It can't be good to be putting all of these drugs in my body. Patanol Alrex Doxycycline Prednisolone Acetate Opthalmic Suspension Acular Elestat Indomethacin Restasis Erythromycin Ointment Primrose Oil caplets Fish Oil capletsNothing has helped at all except the Prednisolone Acetate Opthalmic Suspension, however this is a steriod and can cause permanent damage to your optic nerve, retina, etc...Does anyone have everything I can try to add to my list?sadeyes:(
    sadeyes 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • me too- I finished Topradex and do not want to back on it- do all of you have symptoms? (other than red eye)
  • I too suffer from episcleritis for over 18 months now. it comes and goes. i am in my late forties and believe it has something to do with hormonal change, as it tends to appear in the second half of my cycle. I've tried Predsol Drops and they usually help but this time it seems to be more aggressive.I also like to go sun tanning and I made the discovery that this encourages the outbreak as well.I am hoping for a more natural treatment and will try the camomile, thanks for sharing all the helpful info.Poor us, good to know I'm not alone though.
  • FYI - I am now being tested by a rheumatologist for Lupus, Rheumatoid Arth. and Sarcoidosis - so far no results have come in. My eyes are looking worse every day! Hang in there everyone!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2007
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there,I have had episcleritis for the past month, which is probably nothing compared to how long some of you have had it. It is frustrating! I have tried two different kinds of drops--Tobradex and Flurometh (generic) and they help but do not get rid of it. Is there a time limit to how long you can consecutively take the corticosteriod drops?Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2007
    • 09:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was told not to take steroid drops for more than weeks- do you feel symptoms? I swear that mine was caused by sawdust in my eye but the dr says no way..Danielle- my dr is tesitng me for the same conditions, lupus, etc. let us know what happens,
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2007
    • 09:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • what are your symptoms-other than red eye?good luck Danielle- I am waiting for blood results too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2007
    • 00:05 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement