Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

episcleritis- alternative treatment

Posted In: Eye conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 1, 2006
  • 00:52 AM

I have had recurrent episcleritis every spring and fall for 9 years (confirmed by multiple opthamologists including doctors at Duke and in Baltimore. I have used topical NSAIDS and steroids. Adding doxycycline helped to control the severity. The steroids only helped a little, but my eyes were so red, it was worth the hint of improvement. In searching for an alternative for when I become pregnant (since Doxycycline is contraindicated), I found evening primrose oil. Since starting evening primrose oil 1300 mg twice daily, I have had no recurrences!! My rosacea is also better. I am eager to share this option since using the steroids all those years have just put me at risk for cataracts. Since starting these herbals, the gritty eye feeling is gone, no more discomfort, and no more redness!!! I plan to write all my prior opthamologists so they can consider this as an option as well.
Although episcleritis is a benign condition, for those who have recurring disease, this may be a blessing.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement