Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Burning tongue

• Posted By: Sensitive
  • December 7, 2006
  • 01:46 AM

Has anyone ever had this problem? The first week in October I started having a different sensation in my tongue. It sort of felt like it does when you've been to the dentist, had a numbing shot and several hours later the sensation of the feeling begins to come back. It's like a cooling, menthol effect. This is the way it started. Now it has progressed to a burning sensation. My taste buds aren't as good as they were. Anything that is mint flavored, cinnamon or the slightest spicey sets the burning sensation off. BTW, I did have a root canal on Wed, September 27. I've had these before and nothing like this has ever happened. My dentist thought it might be some kind of viral infection in the family of chicken pox, shingles, herpes, etc. so he put me on Valtrex for two weeks. That hasn't helped. Another doctor did blood work up on me checking on two types of thyroid conditions, folate levels, B-12 deficiency. All came back normal. Family doctor told me to switch toothpaste. I did that and still have the problem. Any suggestions from any of you?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement