Discussions By Condition: Bone conditions

bruising and bone pain??

Posted In: Bone conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: billyandsarah99
  • December 6, 2006
  • 02:57 PM

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be going on with me. I am a 25 yr old female with alot of health problems...migranes, had gull bladder removed, problems with one of my breast (which is being looked into), history of some abnormal paps (I have one of the high risk strains of HPV), among some other things. I suspect it is from me having endometrosis, which they are now thinking is an autoimmune disease.
My ? is about 2 yrs ago I started having really bad pain in the bone in my leg, my shin bone???. I went to the dr, he said I was having bone pain but didn't know why, gave me some vicodins and sent me on my way. I still have the leg pain, but in the last 3 mnths or so both of my thighs have been covered in bruises. All except one of them are fingertip size. On any given day there are 15 - 30 on each leg with a couple of them being on the rest of my leg. There is also one about the size of a baseball on the inside part of my knee that has been there itself for about 3 mnths. Somedays it will look red like it is in the stages of healing, but then the next day it will be back to the bruise. None of these hurt. What could they be from.
Someone on another forum suggested that I was anemic. After I had my son 6 mnths ago it came back that I was anemic. They put me on iron pills for a mnth and that was that. But if it was caused from that wouldn't I be getting bruises everywhere and not just mostly the thighs/legs.
Another suggested that maybe the leg pain is related to the bruising but if that was the case wouldn't either both legs hurt, or wouldn't just the leg that does hurt be the only leg to bruise.
Another suggested a bleeding disorder. When I got pregnant with my son my OB done bloodwork on me to try and determine why I lost my little girl so late in my pregnancy. It came back I had MTHFR mutation gene, Protien S defiency and Protien C defency. I had to go to a specialitst, take baby aspirin, and shots of Lovenox. After the pregnancy I was refered to a diff. specialits, he said it sounded like I had the opps. problem of not being able to clot as opposed to clotting to easy. But done blood work and said I was borderline on still having one of them, but nothing to worry about and didn't have the other anymore. Of course the MTHFR mutation gene I will always have. Is it possible that since those was pregnancy induced that maybe when I am not pregnant my blood does not clot like it should and then when I am pregnant it clots to easy? Or that maybe these clotting disorders have come back?
Sorry this is so long. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thank you

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• okay, it is nothing doing with being anemic b/c while I was at WIC today I had the nurse check my iron and it was 15, which was normal. So, ideas anyone?
    billyandsarah99 19 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 11:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Bruising, bone pain, and easy bleeding all sounds like low platelets to me. A simple blood test from your M.D. will tell you the answer, either way.
    eleven 55 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 02:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Definitely see your doctor if you haven't about the bone pain and bruising. The bruising could be indicative of a blood disorder, but combined with bone pain it sometimes points to certain cancers (like Leukemia and Lymphoma). So, please see your doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 09:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have a MTHFR mutation and I used to have terrible bruising on my legs. After diagnosis, I was put on Foltex (folic acid and B vitamins) and am much better. I now take 4-8 Foltex a day to help deal with the pain in my hands and feet. Without it I go back to bruising, terrible pain in my legs and armsand difficulty concentrating. I have the same pain in my hands and feet that you have when you hit your funny bone. It’s constant. A lot of times I catch myself sitting on my hands to help alleviate the pain. I get little finger tip bruises on my thighs from pressing my hands into my legs.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 07:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • how do you know if you have this? I bruise very easy, have bad pains in my legs and had to take baby asprin to stay pregnant. thanks...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 06:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • how do you know if you have this? I bruise very easy, have bad pains in my legs and had to take baby asprin to stay pregnant. thanks...I need to add that the pain in my legs is bone pain... very bad, one area is the top of my leg below the hip the other is the back of my leg around the knee area, but the back where it bends...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a lot of similarities as the original post--I'm 26-yr-old female with increasingly transitory bone pain. The majority of it is in my legs, but recently (the last few weeks) it has been in my arms, ribs, pubic bone, and jaw. Also some minor bruising, but I can't be sure that it's not from bumping into things. I also have a history of migraine-type headaches, undiagnosed abdominal pain, nerve damage and chronic pain from a herniated lumbar disc, and other symptoms that point to an auto-immune disease. All blood tests have come back normal. I am also hypothyroid.I traveled to Pakistan when I was 17 and contracted amoebic dysentery. My doctor thinks that this could have something to do with all of this, but there isn't any research or hope for help. Any thoughts on further testing would be appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is replying to the last post. I have almost the same exact symptoms as you. I am only 20 but am dealing with bad bone pain in my arms and legs, horrible stomach problems, had hives and also had migranes. I'm struggling to figure out what is wrong. I've been through alot of blood tests and nothing has been solved or found. If you discover anything please post again. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2007
    • 08:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please go to the doctor and get checked my grandmother had multiple myeloma and these are some of the first symptoms she had. its nothing to wait around on! ive lost to many ppl to cancer in my family and am having some similar symptoms and went to the doc the other day they sent me for an MRI that came back neg. to MS and now I am going again next moday to see what to do next.God Bless!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement